aloges

Are You Scared Of Death?

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:16 am

Sorry in case I'm getting on anyone nerves, but here's another thing bugging me. With one member pointing out that one main reason for people believing in religion is that they're scared of death and what's going to happen after, I'd like to know whether you are scared of death.

After all, it's the only thing in life we can be 100% certain of, yet many people still are afraid that one day they will have die. I'm not talking about getting killed in a horrible car accident or dying from cancer in the worst pain possible, just the simple fact that all of us, without exception, will, on one day, have to leave this stage called life.

Was that just me?  Big grin
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

ArmitageShanks

RE: Are You Scared Of Death?

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:31 am

Sure, everyone is afraid of death. Those that say they aren't are liars. Some are more afraid than others, but everyone is afraid of dying sooner than they would like.

Logan22L

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:41 am

ArmitageShanks: I, for one, am not a liar, and I am not scared of death. I am concerned that I may have to go through a great deal of pain; hence I am scared of how I may die, but I am not scared of death. I will miss so many wonderful things in this world: The sound of a string section soaring and diving; the sight of a great blue heron landing on a frozen lake; the smell of scallops being seared in a hot pan; the feel of my girlfiriends hair...but that makes me forlorn, not scared.

I am not frightened of death, because I believe that it is a between state, a bardo, as known to Tibetans, whereby the mind prepares to enter a new body. Even if I'm wrong, I respect it, but I do not fear it.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

ConcordeBoy

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:42 am

everyone is afraid of dying sooner than they would like.

That's a better description.

It's not the dying that scares everyone, but for most, it's the uncertainty of when
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Logan22L

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:48 am

Aloges: I think you need to define the question a little more tightly. Are you asking about the fear of leaving this world (dying, perhaps prematurely) or about the fear of what may lie beyond this world (the result of death)? Or some combination of these? It seemed clear to me that you were not asking about being afraid of how one will die (I would argue that many/most of us are afraid of that, myself included). I tried to weigh in with my thoughts, but semantics make this cumbersome.

Logan

[Edited 2004-11-30 19:48:59]

jasepl

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:51 am

I honestly don't think I'm afraid of death - it's getting there that worries me. What I'm afraid of more than anything is growing old.

Jaspike

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:52 am

I'm not too bothered about death.. but I don't want it to happen just yet because there's so much to experience in life, and I'd like to be around a bit longer so I can experience a bit more  Laugh out loud

When I'm older (I mean, really old) I don't think I'll be bothered about death at all. That's if life has been pretty decent..

Tom

VSlover

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:54 am

I do believe CB made a valid point about. I am not worried about death (i mean i wont remember it, will i?)

I am concerned with WHEN I will die.

theCoz

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:59 am

It seems like people are afraid more of the unknown, than death itself.

Death itself actually doesn't frighten me, it is the circumstances that surround it that do. Of course I don't go around dwelling on it either. That would make life pointless.

DABZF

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:12 am

Liar or not... but I'm not afraid of death. Why should I be?
I'm a strong believer that when I die, I die and there's nothing after that!

Don't take this as a religious judgment as it's not meant to be one.
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

redngold

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:38 am

I'm more afraid of the deaths of the people I love. That has always been my main anxiety related to OCD. But I am not afraid of my own death, because I know that I trust myself to God. I agree with TheCoz, it's the circumstances that concern me more.

redngold
Up, up and away!

jfkaua

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:40 am

I really don't think I am afraid of dieing... If it happens in an accident or something chances are it will happen so fast that I wouldn't even have a chance to realise what happened... Now growing old on the other hand  Wink/being sarcastic

NW747400

Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:05 am

I'm not afraid of dying. I'm not afraid of when I'll die. I'll die when it's my time to go. Then I'll go to Heaven for all of eternity. So that doesn't scare me in the least. I know where I'm going after I die, and as far as when I die, God knows when I'm going to die. When I'm done with the purpose God has intended me for I'll go home.
NW747400

SlamClick

Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:31 am

Sort of made my peace with sudden death when I was young. So many of my friends were killed in Vietnam, or training to go there.

Then a disturbing thing happened. I survived my youth. All of it! I am no longer young and so, I now have to make my peace with growing old. That is a little distressing. I've watched the young and middle-aged people from my childhood grow old and die. I am now part of the older generation. For all that, I don't think I am afraid of dying, but I think I might be when I know it is imminent.

Not being afraid of death is sort of like the bold talk one gets about war from people who know they are not the one who will be going to war. Easy to be brave in the absence of any real threat.

I expect to die in bed but I'm not afraid to get into the thing each night.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

jcs17

Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:34 am

Death is one of the few things that scares the crap out of me. I don't know what I fear the most, the fear of not knowing what's going to happen or the event itself.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

iakobos

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:11 am

I for one am not worried at all.

After much discussion with my (much younger) spouse, we agreed that whatever the state I am in (conscious/unconscious) I would be made a follower of the religion that promises the best after life conditions.
(a lesson to remember: female jealousy does not end with death)

I have been "shopping" around and found a very promising offer.

The only question now is how fit will I be when I reach there, because the brochure describes plenty of exciting activities, but it all implies you are in good health and does not say a word about a transitional rehabilition therapy.

Who knows ?

ScarletHarlot

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:11 am

NW747400:

I'll die when it's my time to go. Then I'll go to Heaven for all of eternity.

Pretty sure of yourself and your salvation status, aren't you?

SlamClick:

I expect to die in bed but I'm not afraid to get into the thing each night.

Hee hee!

As for myself, I'm not *afraid* of death right now... maybe, as SlamClick says, I'll get afraid of it as it becomes more likely. I do worry about those that I'll leave behind if I was to die early. I wonder about how I might die and hope that it won't be too nasty. But what can I do? Sit around all day and worry? Nah, life goes on and I'll go on with it until it's my turn to leave it.
But that was when I ruled the world

redngold

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:13 am

Scarlet -

If you believe the Bible is true, then God promises that we cannot lose our salvation if we believe in Christ with all our heart.

redngold
Up, up and away!

SSTjumbo

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:19 am

I'm afraid of there being a final ending. However, I'm not totally convinced that death is the final bell for all of us. I'm convinced, but not certain, that there is indeed an afterlife in some way or another, and though I am skeptical about most supernatural reports, I do believe in the supernatural in one way or another.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

ScarletHarlot

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:40 am

Redngold - there is where our beliefs diverge.  Smile
But that was when I ruled the world

OV735

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:57 am

What I'm afraid of, like many others, is what happens before my death. The death itself is the end, and my philosophy is that wherever people go after death, it must be a good place, 'cause no-one has come back. (I hope such a joking attitude doesn't offend anyone - it's just the way I see it)

How I die, like I said, is an issue for me. Even though all four of my grandparents were taken by cancer, which probably makes it more likely for me to go the same way, I kind of hope it's going to be quick and painless. A relatively egocentric wish, I guess - the more painless for me, the more painful for those who care.

sebolino

Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:11 am

I am absolutely not scared of death.
BUT, I'm really scared of diseases, pain, and the end of life.

But as like everybody I will go through it, I should relax about it, which I manage to do normally.
After death, I believe there's nothing. If I'm wrong, it will be a big surprise.

jamotcx

Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:46 am

I'm scared of death.

The pain etc doesnt bother me. Its what happens when I'm dead that bothers me.

the options seem to be put in the ground and rot, be cremated, or be frozen hoping someone can bring me back to life.

rotting and being burnt after I die scare me!

Oh and getting old, thats more scary!

Jamo

Derico

Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:01 am

I actually have a different take (philosophy?), about death and dying.

I think in fact that if many people thought about what they are really afraid of, is not of death itself, but of not having experienced everything you wanted to experience while alive.

When (hopefully), I get to such an age I think that if I thought I had experienced most of what I wanted to, then I would feel at peace.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

dtwclipper

Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:03 am

No, not at all. I've got enough NW Worldperks miles to get me were I need to go!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Arsenal@LHR

Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:07 am

I'm scared of death, i'm more scared of not knowing how i'm going to die, also scared of dying early, which is why i'd rather die at 65+ than 35. It's also a fear of the unknown, what happens in your grave on the night your relatives have buried you and gone?

But don't think about it too much otherwise you'll go nuts, don't take unnecessary risks and stay safe. Enjoy life while it lasts.
In Arsene we trust!!

USAFHummer

Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:19 am

I'm scared of both the "when": and the actual "what happens"...having lived through a close family member's sudden and unexpected death from natural causes far too early than he should have left, this is a topic that has flat out terrified me on the inside for years, but Im slowly learning to cope with it now...

Greg

[Edited 2004-12-01 01:20:20]
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Springbok747

Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:46 am

Hell yeah, I'm scared of death. Its the uncertainty that makes it scary. And I'm scared what will happen after death.

But no point in worrying about something that is inevitable. I want to enjoy life to the fullest. Like Arsenal said...you'll go nuts if you keep thinking about death all the time and miss out on this wonderful life. So, don't think/worry about it, enjoy life and be happy  Smile
אני תומך בישראל

photopilot

Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:48 am

Am I scared of death, well the answer is an honest NO.

Why you might ask. Well I was at one point in time, but now I no longer fear death. Here's why.

In the last 8.5 years, I've had my heart turned off (medically), had heart surgery and had the doctors turn my heart back on some 2 hours later. Six years after that, they opened me up again and this time took out most of my internal organs (to get access to my aeorta) and then had to replace much of that with dacron piping. Then they put everything back in (it all still works), sewed me back up and with time I healed.

I've also broken more bones than I have fingers and toes to count them on. Had my lungs punctured and collapsed and gone through the nightmare of waiting for the next morphine shot when the pain was too great. (Serious accident).

So why I no longer fear death is simple. My time is long past. I am indeed living on borrowed time thanks to the marvels of medical science. Every single day is a gift that I shouldn't have. So I appreciate it more. I value each day as a bonus and will only regret those days that I have wasted.

It's hard to describe exactly other than to say......
When I walked out of the hospital. The sky was just a little more blue. The grass just a little more green, and the air just a little more sweet.

Steve

Logan22L

Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:49 pm

Wow, Photopilot: You have seen it and then some. I can only imagine what it must have been like to go through what you did, and then to see the world in such a new light. Your attitude is very refreshing...best of luck and enjoy every breath!

Logan

DLKAPA

Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:02 pm

I'm shit scared of dying early but I don't want to be around as a senile old fart vegetating away in a nursing home. That almost scares me even more than death itself. Also, apart from the uncertainty of how much pain I will feel at the time, my mind oft wonders what it will actually be like "after" death. For heaven or hell or whatever it is, I have a very hard time believing that we just "go away."

Actually I think there is a scientific explanation for heaven and hell: Wherever you "go" in afterlife is where you think you will be going at the moment of your death. As the last neurons fire in your brain, it triggers a wave of senses. In that instant which is the last instant you will ever experience, it will seem like an eternity and for your perception will likely never end even though it would last no more than an instant in actual reality. Because you innately decide where you are going, I believe that your "God" is inside of you, and prayer/meditation is a way of getting in touch with your inner self. For me, this god inside is the christian God, and that I will go to heaven, but instead of heaven being way way way up, it is deep inside of me and in order to achieve heaven in the afterlife, I must live up to it.

That's just my daily theology lesson for ya.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Logan22L

Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:39 pm

DLKAPA: As someone who does not subscribe to any denominational theological theory, let me offer you something to read. You can be Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu...whatever. "The Tibetan Book of the Dead," really a misnomer, describes the states of near death, death, and re-birth. Give it chance. You sound like you could be open to new concepts. This book, really a description of the "bardo of the between", or state of death and transluscence into new lives, might give you a new perspective. W.H. Evans-Wentz edited the "original" version (a bit esoteric), but Francesca Fremantle/ Chogyam Trungpa as well as Robert A.F. Thurmann have great transliterations also. If you don't care, forgive me, let someone else discover these classics.

Logan

AAplatnumflier

Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:40 pm

I just want to go in my sleep without suffering. I would rather die in my sleep dreaming a happy dream.

theCoz

Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:48 pm

AAplatinum, very true.

How many people who worry about death so much end up going like that? Probably a lot. Sounds like a waste of time worrying to me.

DLKAPA

Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:56 pm

I just want to go in my sleep without suffering. I would rather die in my sleep dreaming a happy dream.

If I die that way rather than the way my passengers die, screaming in horror, then it's all good Big grin
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

StevenUhl777

Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:03 pm

The quick answer is NO, I'm not scared of death, because sooner or later, it will happen to me, too.

What I am afraid of is an untimely death caused by something totally out of my control. I don't want to die prematurely because of some moron doing something moronic. Even worse, I'd hate to have a friend or family member killed with me in such a case. Also, I don't want to die miserable or after being sick and in pain for a while before, having to be on a restricted diet and not being able to eat or drink what I like.

My feeling is...as long as I die painlessly and after a long full life of doing what I want to do, and on my terms, then that's just fine by me. If that's at 60, fine. 80 or 90, quite alright.

I live my life on my own terms...doing what I want to do and trying to learn and have fun. No one can ever take away my fond memories of my life, no matter what. And as long as my family and friends can say I was happy and did what I wanted, then what more can anyone ask for?
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

BN747

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:47 pm

Am I scared of death, well the answer is an honest NO.

Why you might ask. Well I was at one point in time, but now I no longer fear death. Here's why.

In the last 8.5 years, I've had my heart turned off (medically), had heart surgery and had the doctors turn my heart back on some 2 hours later. Six years after that, they opened me up again and this time took out most of my internal organs (to get access to my aeorta) and then had to replace much of that with dacron piping. Then they put everything back in (it all still works), sewed me back up and with time I healed.

Photopilot/Steve... Wow..

That's just f*n amazing! I think I'd rather a quick buzzsaw death than go thru all what you have so far. But I greatly appreciate your sharing this experience. I know I don't see every day at little bit blue-er or anything... but I do take time out everyday to take inventory of myself.. how well I feel, how good things are... (not mentioning politics) etc. Yet, hearing or reading about a kid or someone in their early 20s dying (in an accident (NBC chief Dick Ebersol's youngest son), senseless gun shooting, a soldier in Iraq, An abducted teenage girl) those type of things bother me. I know our world is a cruel one... but it really doesn't have to be.. but unfortunately, many in power insist that it be!

Aloges, I believe it was me in the 'Why do people bring religion into everything' post who said 'People are scared to death... thus believing in the Bible.

That being said... well just imagine if the Bible did NOT promise ever-lasting life... there goes the 'whole christian lot' right down the toilet! They'd park the Bible next to their collections of Sports Illustrated and Encyclopedia Britannica (do they still print those?). The 'fear of death' is exactly what forces 'believers' into that specific compartment. They admit it everytime they say 'I'm at peace with myself and god and heaven is waiting for me'... well... no it isn't. And nothing I or anyone says can make them see any different... nor would I try.

When I posted that the other day.. I paused an asked myself... 'with all I've seen and experienced (an still am).. is it possible me to turn and surrender all I am, all I believe, my life to this deity called 'God'?

And the answer is a flat out 'Hell No!' I would be like wishing be back in Basic Training getting yelled at by my Drill Sargeant.. No-- worse! I just remember the bible-thumpers telling me I was able to speak 'in tongues' (the language of angels), I remember all the biblical nonsense (and fear) beaten into my brain since I was 4 or 5. Travelling the world, discussing the subject with a cross section of people, personal investigation into the trek of human endeavors, human triumphs and sufferings.... and on a second look at the bible... you could see the flawed finger-prints of mankind's mastery of manipulation all over it! Especially the tool of 'unabated fear' itself!

I can see how appealing 'god' is to those who know very little of the good and bad of the ways of the world, government, human affairs, human relations, etc. As well as those in great and perpetual despair (at least half the world's population)... it is the only thing they have to hang on to. Hope, it's all they have ...and they're the easiest to be seduced by it... and so often are.

So as for being afraid of death.... yes I am, but I have no choice, I know it's coming and there's nothing I can do about it, but I also know it's nothing personal! Although at my age, I have never spent a night in a hospital (only visit was to get a few stitches in a finger) and in as good of health as I am... I know something could occur and eliminate me in the blink of eye....

...and if it does, that's just the way it goes. Life in the universe is the ultimate paradox... Life then death, more life and more death and it continues...

BN747

"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

xpat

Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:32 pm

As Jasepl said, I'm afraid of growing old and slowly falling apart. Death itself holds no fear for me. I believe destruction (death) is the beginning of creation (new life).
The only thing we have to fear is the sky falling on our heads. -Asterix

RobertNL070

Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:38 am

At the risk of writing a whole load of clichés: death is an occupational hazard of life. As many have written, its not so much death, as getting there that gives me the creeps.

The only thing that I find intensely saddening is that in death, I leave my loved ones behind!

Regards, Robert
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

Q330

Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:01 am

Actually I think there is a scientific explanation for heaven and hell: Wherever you "go" in afterlife is where you think you will be going at the moment of your death.

It's fine to hold that view, but don't call it scientific!  Laugh out loud

-Q
Long live the A330!

vaporlock

Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:25 pm

I have thought about death but not enough to make me afraid of it! I believe that our fate is already decided when we are born. Kinda werid I know, but just my beliefs.....

To be honest, I am too busy enjoying life and being happy to worry about death.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

One thing I can say is that every moment we have on this huge ball called Earth is precious....so enjoy life and be happy!!!  Big thumbs up

Phyllis  Wink/being sarcastic

Stratofish

Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:44 pm

I thinks it´s weird so many here want to know when it`s gonna happen. THAT would scare the hell outta me!
Also I fear that I might get involved in some kind of accident and some doctors keep me alive "beyond the necessary", coz I think there are forms of life that are not worth living (for the individual).
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way

ClassicLover

Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:48 pm

When concerns me... I wouldn't want to know, but now would be a bad time... though I have more or less enjoyed my life up until now.

How concerns me... dying while I sleep would be preferred... in a car accident would not be.

However, I'm also interested to see where I go afterwards, because I know something will happen...

Trent  Smile
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

NWAFA

Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:46 am

I'm not afraid of Death, I am afaid of dying. I know there is somthing after this earth, but the process of dying...the pain and suffering that may be there is the part I fear.
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

levent

Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:24 am

I am not afraid of death, but I do hope it will strike me fast and painless when it´s my time. I am afraid though to ever see my girlfriend die, the person who I love most. She had to be operated two days ago, it wasn´t a difficult surgery and all went well, but sitting there in the waiting room unable to do anything else makes you think.

pilotaydin

Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:37 am

im more scared that i cant do the things i want to, before death, i find that when i am in a depressive state, i am less fearful of death than when things are going normal...sound odd?
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:43 am

Am I scared of death? Naaaaaaa. Listen, when it's my time to go, it's my time to go. I have a very personal and intense belief in regards to 'the other side' that has nothing to do with organized religious doctrines.

Besides, when I reach the departure lounge, with my one-way boarding pass, when I hear the final call for my flight, what am I gonna do, stall by shopping duty free? Noooooo. They'll call my row, and I shall board.

Aside from all that, I've always said that when I 'go', I want to be shoved into a 'Glad' garbage bag, twist-tie the top, and leave me out on the street for the Tuesday morning garbage pick-up. No high fallutin funeral costs, etc.

Thumper

Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:34 pm

Am I scared of Death? Yes! But as my Father always said "Death is not the worst thing in life, just the last" So live your life to the fullest!

A319114

Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:04 pm

Well yes I'm scared of death. I'm scared that there may be nothing after it but on the other hand, there just might be something. If I take a look at nature, everything is so wel designed and everything seems to be cyclic. Maybe life is, too.
Destruction leads to a very rough road but it also breeds creation

SJUboeingGirl

Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:04 am

I get scared thinking of diseases and how would I die. Im also afraid of the decomposition of the body  Sad
If it's not Boeing, I ain't Going!