F9Widebody
Topic Author

Brokaw's Last Broadcast

Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:08 am

Well, Tom Brokaw just finished his last broadcast. I, for one, will miss him. He brought class and relative bi-partisanship to his position. Brian Williams is good too, but just not quite the same. Who will you watch in the future? Has that changed?

Regards
YES URLS in signature!!!

b741

RE: Brokaw's Last Broadcast

Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:13 am

I will watch Rather Dan, who I will be saddened to see gone also. I have most memories of CBS broadcasts.
Being Bilingual, I Speak English And Aviation

tristarenvy

Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:33 am

I think NBC will see a slide in ratings. Williams, who was groomed for a long time in Peter Jennings image because ABC used to have bigger numbers than NBC, will probably do a good job, but because of the "change" there will be a drop off of their ratings.

Brokaw was my choice for news after Uncle Walter retired from CBS. I also liked John Chancellor on NBC, who never really got the recognition he deserved...
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

jaysit

Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:03 am

Does anyone get their news from the network nightly news anymore?

I haven't watched any of these jokers since about 1994. We now have 24-7 news on CNN, the internet, blog sites, etc. Who needs these single personality driven news casts?

At least Brokaw has a sexy voice, and is a handsome man with a sense of humor.

Brian Williams is neither sexy, nor possessing of a stentorian voice, and appears humorless. He's a cheesy cardboard cut-out of what the networks expect a nightly newscaster to be --- a 40-something white guy. I'd rather get my news from other sources.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Tom in NO

Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:12 am

I remember Tom Brokaw when he anchored the local newscasts on KNBC Channel 4 in L.A. before he went national. I didn't always agree with him, he did put on a good newscast.

As an aside, KNBC also produced Tom Snyder and Bryant Gumbel.

I can't take either Rather or Jennings, so I'll just stick with Fox News or CNN.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

EA CO AS

Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:22 am

Brian Williams is neither sexy, nor possessing of a stentorian voice, and appears humorless.

Being a straight male I can't address whether or not he's "sexy" (although he appears to be a handsome man), but on the Today show this morning Williams actually displayed very good sense of humor (including a bit from his appearance on The Tonight Show where he made a crack about Star Jones' wedding and how it must have been a mosh-pit atmosphere at the buffet line)!

He appears to be something of a closet comedian, but simply cannot let it fly during the Nightly News telecast.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

slider

Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:26 am

Give me Dennis Miller!  Wink/being sarcastic

Who the hell watched the Evening News anyhow? Ditto Jaysit.

Network news is a joke.

About the best thing I can say about Brokaw is that his "Greatest Generation" book is outstanding and has done so much to rekindle a patriotism and appreciation for those who sacrificed during WWII.

PHLBOS

Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:35 am

I also liked John Chancellor on NBC, who never really got the recognition he deserved...

I remember watching him (Chancellor) with David Brinkley back in the '70s as a kid. My parents and older brother still recall the (Chet) Huntley/Brinkley days.

I remember a Boston Herald TV guide weekly back in '82 talking about the debut of Brokaw and Roger Mudd on NBC's Nightly News. BTW, what ever happened to Roger Mudd?
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

tristarenvy

Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:34 pm

Yeah, where is Mr. Mudd? CNN? Fox?

I think that ABC should go back to the days of that horrific triple anchor formula. Jennings, Max Robinson, and some other person. From London/NYC/Chicago. Remember that mess?
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

Logan22L

Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:10 am

I'll miss Brokaw trying to say "Meteorologist" after a three-martini lunch.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."