tristarenvy

The Proper Way To End A Series.

Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:11 am

Another thread that is running got me thinking about this. What's your favorite end of a TV series? Some shows get the chance to do a "finale" and some don't, probably for the better, actually. Personally, I think everybody should die when a show gets cancelled. But that's just ME.

So here goes, I have two...

From a Remembered Show: "Newhart" Bob gets hit in the head with a golf ball at the end of the show...fade to black...we hear Bob saying..."I've had the most terrible dream"...lights switch on, and he's in bed with Suzanne Pleshette, his wife "Emily" from his previous show, "The Bob Newhart Show"

From a Forgotten Show: "I Married Dora" Lame ABC comedy from 1987. Terrible show but a classic ending. It had one of the characters leaving the family to take a job in another country. He goes through the door to the plane, leaving the family in tears. He comes back a moment later. "what's wrong?", he is asked. "It was canceled," he replies. "What, the flight?" "No, our series!" At which point the camera pulls back, revealing the sets, lights and crew, and everyone turned and waved good-bye to the camera.

[Edited 2004-12-02 22:20:46]
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

TWFirst

RE: The Proper Way To End A Series.

Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:13 am

Mary Tyler Moore Show: One of the most classic, tear-jerking finales ever.

Same w/ M*A*S*H
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

tristarenvy

Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:17 am

"A little song...a little dance...a little seltzer down your pants"...

Classic....

gigneil

Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:17 am

I think the proper way is to kill everyone.

N

theCoz

Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:19 am

There are so many good ones.

I'd say Seinfeld, Frasier, Cheers, The Simpsons, Jackass, and The Sopranos are my favorites.

Is MAD TV considered a series? What is it considered? Anyway, it's hysterical. Same with SNL.

tristarenvy

Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:27 am

SNL rates, but is still with us. (And some say, NOT for the better)

There was a "ending" of sorts on SNL in 1980. When the "original" cast finally left, Buck Henry, the shows host, made some remarks about the old cast, poked fun at Belushi and Ackroyd's movie "The Blues Brothers"(They had left at the end of the 79-80 season to film the movie), and introduced us to the new cast. Fast forward to late fall of 1980, after that writers strike was resolved, and the NEW Saturday Night Live becomes a complete disaster of a show. Best punctuated by cast member Charlie Rocket dropping the "F" bomb on live TV. Needless to say, the featured cast was let go, but some of the minor feature comics were retained...Piscopo, and Murphy among them...

avt007

Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:48 am

I also loved Bob Newhart, especially his last line- "Have you ever thought about wearing sweaters?" LOL!

Usairwys757

Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:50 am

Seinfeld ended its series in the right way. Leaving people wanting more. Thats the way you want it to be.
Inactive.....

Tom in NO

Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:19 am

How about 'Dallas", where the last episode had Joel Grey protraying an angel who shows J.R. what life would have been like for the other Ewings, etc had J.R. not been alive. Then we hear a final gunshot, yet don't know the details.

Talk about a great show that unfortunately didn't know when it should have stopped.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

SmithAir747

Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:40 am

Star Trek (the original series) is my favourite series (ever since my childhood), and a very good example of a series so successful (read: so popular with its diehard fans) that it has continued to live far beyond its original series run.
Plus, it has managed to spin off 10 movies (and counting), plus more and more series (The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and now, Enterprise).

There's something about Star Trek that keeps me (and millions of other Trekkies) hooked for life--and keeps it a self-perpetuating series.

That's what I think of a TV series that lives on practically forever, successful in the eyes of both its fans and the wider entertainment world.

Keep bringing it on, Star Trek! Mr. Roddenberry would surely approve!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)