Thom@s
Topic Author

How Is This For A Short Lived Celebration?

Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:20 pm

In a football match between Servette and Schafthausen yesterday, the home team won 4-1. But few will remember the match for the final result.

One of Servette's players, Paulo Diogo, delivered a pass which resulted in a goal for the homeside, and celebrated by jumping up on the fence where the fans were sitting. But his celebration was short lived. As he jumped back down from the fence, his wedding ring was stuck. This caused serious injury to his finger, which was amputated a few hours after the game.

Diogo also got a yellow card for his celebration. Now that just sucks...  Smile

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Aegis

RE: How Is This For A Short Lived Celebration?

Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:39 pm

He lost a finger, and got a yellow card? Rough day.

I heared a story that after finishing a stage in the WRC, Colin McRae once found a finger stuck in his side morror on the car. One of the spectators must have come too close.
You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

bragi

Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:24 am

Poor guy...... at least his team won! Big thumbs up
Muhammad Ali: "Superman don’t need no seat belt." Flight Attendant: "Superman don’t need no airplane, either."

SlamClick

Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:47 am

Hey Bragi I just noticed your signature. Have to argue with that statement. Chuck Yeager and Mel Apt are two people I can name right off the top of my head who were injured colliding with nothing but sky. Of course their collisions came at about Mach 2.3 and 3.0 respectively. Oh yeah! John Stapp would be another.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

FlyingColours

Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:51 am

The ref didn't happen to be Swiss perchance?

Ouch that's really harsh, I think the sport is going downhill when you can get carded for celebrating during the match. Maybe if he was swearing at the opposition or something I could understand.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

ltbewr

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:36 am

Far too often sports participants tend to overdo the celebrations from scoring a winning point(s) and end up being injured, sometimes seriously so as in the initial post here. It also is bad sportsmanship, makes it like your gloting over your oppositions loss. Your fans may like the celebrations, but it can often cause anger in the opposition's fans and may lead to problems (like the stupidity of International Football (Soccer) fans, especially in the UK). In USA professional Football, there are penalties for overdoing celebrations or actions of intimidation on the field of play or in the endzone after scoring, in part to reduce the risk of injury and to tone down the unsportsmanlike beheavor.

bragi

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:01 am

SlamClick
Thanks for pointing it out to me.... I've changed my signature a little, is it ok now?? Wink/being sarcastic
Muhammad Ali: "Superman don’t need no seat belt." Flight Attendant: "Superman don’t need no airplane, either."

mika

Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:15 pm

707CMF

Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:27 pm

I've heard living in GVA for too long could be harmful for your mental health...

Is that a proof ?

Cheers,

Thom@s
Topic Author

Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:12 pm

Hehe Mika, that is just sooooooo fake. Big grin

Looks like nobody have told him about his finger...  Smile

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

EGGD

Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:02 pm

He deserved his yellow card, thats one of the reasons you do get booked for such actions, because it is dangerous... Although it is arguable whether he deserved the yellow card 'warning' after the event had happened.

mika

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:50 pm

Actually Thom@s, it comes from Swedish newpaper Aftonbladet's website, i agree that it looks fake but it said nothing about being a montage or whatever. Strange.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/story/0,2789,571895,00.html

Thom@s
Topic Author

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:38 am

There seems to be several versions of the story. The one I read, said that his finger was injured, and later amputated at the hospital. The one Banco posted in his thread on the subject, claims the finger came off, and that the remaining part of his figer was later amputated. If that is the case, thne the pic could be real after all.

Thom@s

707CMF

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:40 am

The pic is real.

If you check where it is from, you see it is from an actual newspaper.

Cheers,