CcrlR
Topic Author

Fire In Chicago Loop Hi-rise Building

Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:47 am

Just heard this about 10 minutes ago. Lets hope that there are survivors and not what happened to another building last October.

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_341202525.html
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

SSTjumbo

RE: Fire In Chicago Loop Hi-rise Building

Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:25 pm

Looks like it's finally under control. Any pictures of the building that cought fire? All I could see were ten windows on fire because the cams zoomed in so close.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

SouthwestMDW

Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:45 pm

Wow! My Dad works about 1 block away from the building. I hope there were survivoirs and everybody is okay!

CPH-R

Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:03 pm

I really like this bit:
"The announcement said the fire was on the 29th floor, and it said for us to stay still and not to move," another woman who escaped from the building said. "We decided to just leave, despite the instructions."

Sounds like someone had learned a lesson from the WTC tragedy. Back then, a lot of people, who might have escaped, were trapped when the 2nd tower was hit. They had apparently been told to go back to their offices after the 1st tower was hit.

UAL Bagsmasher

Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:11 pm

It has since jumped to the 30th floor and is still spreading.

prosa

Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:15 pm

I really like this bit:
"The announcement said the fire was on the 29th floor, and it said for us to stay still and not to move," another woman who escaped from the building said. "We decided to just leave, despite the instructions."
Sounds like someone had learned a lesson from the WTC tragedy. Back then, a lot of people, who might have escaped, were trapped when the 2nd tower was hit. They had apparently been told to go back to their offices after the 1st tower was hit.

Buildings in New York over six floors in height are required to conduct semi-annual fire drills and fire safety reviews. Even in the wake of the WTC disaster, the conventional wisdom says that evacuating to the floor below the fire floor, rather than leaving the building entirely, is normally sufficient.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

b757300

Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:57 pm

Anyone who wants to watch it live can use the link below. Probably need to have Windows Media Player 9 or 10.

http://wbbm.dayport.com/viewer/content/special.php?Art_ID=5056&Format_ID=2&BitRate_ID=8&Contract_ID=67&Obj_ID=4
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

SSTjumbo

Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:11 pm

My mistake, it wasn't contained. I'm hearing that there's quite a bit of smoke now coming from the building, indicative at least to me that it's at least being smothered somewhat, but hopefully the fire crews get the fire out. Evidently, crews from as far as round lake are being called in to the blaze!  Wow!

SSTjumbo

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:31 pm

Fire was finally put out at midnight last night.

jetblast

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:30 am

Thank God for our firemen! My grandfather is a retired BWI firefighter. He drove a crash truck back when BWI was still called Friendship! But I wonder how they got the water up to the 29th floor? Some of the photos show them shooting across the street from another hi-rise.

JetBlast @ BWI  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Speedbird Concorde One

ltbewr

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:59 am

The floors that were on fire have been sealed off to preserve evidence as to the possible cause. There were no sprinklers on those floors, although the building is in the process of installing them on more floors. Thank God there were no deaths. There were people in the building, as only 6:30 pm when it started and as home of the LaSalle Bank, there are people there 24/7 working for them. About 1 1/2 year ago there was another fire in a Chicago high rise office building, where several occupants were killed. After that fire, there were some revisions to the fire code to reduce the risks. Let us not forget that Chicago was the site of one of the largest urban fire disasters in the late 1800's.