Thom@s
Topic Author

Building The Statue Of Liberty. (Photos)

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:34 pm

Not sure if these photos are common in the US, but they are from an exhibition in Paris which opened today. The famous statue was built in Paris from the design of Frederic August Bartholdi. The designer died 100 years ago, which is why the photos are on display today.

rumor has it that Bartholdi's mother was used as a model for the face.

Bartholdi received help from Gustave Eiffel (The guy who built the tower) with the structure.

The statue of liberty in Paris before being transported to USA in pieces.

The only part of the statue which is originally American. It was only after Joseph Pulitzer criticised the rich for not donating money, that the project got underway.

Today. (9th November to be precise.)

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Gary2880

RE: Building The Statue Of Liberty. (Photos)

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:40 pm

kudos, nice shots indeed. i think that it should be hammerd home more that the statue of liberty was a present from france, might stop some of that bashing they get on fox

anyone know why its such a insipid shade of green?? nice bronce colour would have been nice or has it just turned green over time
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

Thom@s
Topic Author

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:42 pm

A little known fact: Much of the material used to build the statue came from Norway. Now you know... Big grin

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

air2gxs

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:06 am

Thank you. Great pictures.

tbar220

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:29 am

Nice pictures, good lesson in history. Indeed, its hard to imagine, but the statue was a bright bronze color at one point instead of the rusted over green it is now.
NO URLS in signature

707CMF

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:31 am

There is also a smaller replica of the Statue of the Liberty in Paris (on the Ile aux Cygnes).

Offered by the US as a thank you for the original one, IIRC.

cheers,

corey07850

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:35 am

Gary,

The statue is made of copper... When copper oxidizes it turns green. You may have seen this on copper roofs or gutters

Gary2880

Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:55 am

pitty, wasnt very good forward planning! why wasnt it painted? might have been nice to have given it a lick of paint
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

TACAA320

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:10 am

Thank you so much for such a wonderful pictures!!!!!!
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

air2gxs

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:39 am

The copper was actually very good planning. The green is not rust. It is a protective coating that forms on copper, and to a lesser extent bronze, when exposed to the elements.

I'm no metalurgist, but I believe it was probably the best aterial for a statue at the time. Look at bridges that are made of steel. They have rust streaks and are dis-colored. The statue has taken on the green color and has remained as such. This was its design.

MD11Engineer

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:49 am

The green colour is copper carbonate. It forms as a protective layer on copper exposed to weather and protects the underlying metal. It is also called a patina.
Copper was probably used for it´s resistance against weather and for being very ductile, so that the tinsmiths could bash the plates easily into the various shapes.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

kalakaua

Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:35 am

I love the patina look. That's why they chose the materials... It becomes beautiful over time.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

unattendedbag

Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:23 am

great pictures, although I do faintly remember seeing them on a History Channel special about the Statue of Liberty.

Just a quick question:

Third picture down, just above the rolled up sleeve. Did that french sculpter die and did his fellow sculpters decide to cover him in plaster too?

Slower traffic, keep right

SATL382G

Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:05 am

My understanding is that it was donations from school children that built the pedestal, not donations from the rich.
"There’s nothing quite as exhilarating as being shot at and missed" --Winston Churchill

HAWK21M

Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:23 pm

Fantastic work of Engineering.
Good Pictures.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Thom@s
Topic Author

Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:35 pm

The statue is made of copper...

And guess where it came from... Big grin

It was transported from Karmøy, which is only a 40 min drive from where I live.  Smile

Thom@s

Newark777

Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:59 am

Pretty cool when you walk to the top. The entire statue is entirely hollow, and the spiral staircase in the middle is the only structure inside beside the occasional support beams. Fascinating to see all the statue's features from the inside.  Smile
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

FoxBravo

Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:06 am

Great pics, thanks for sharing. As I write this, I am looking at her out my office window. She's all lit up against the blackness of the harbor, and her torch is glowing brightly.

Gary2880 has brought up an excellent point--I wish more Americans would look to Lady Liberty as a reminder of all the positive things that have come out of our relationship with France over the past couple of centuries, instead of indulging in senseless bashing over what amounts to a minor bump in the road.

But Gary, we'll have to agree to disagree on that green patina color. I think it looks dignified and beautiful!
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

Newark777

Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:14 am

I think it looks dignified and beautiful!

Have to agree on that one. Can you imagine Lady Liberty any other color? I know I can't.
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?