skyservice_330

Scared To Travel As An American? Go Canadian!

Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:49 am

Some people never miss an opportunity. Apparently, a company a in New Mexico is releasing 'Go Canadian' packages and selling them to people in the states who want to travel abroad and avoid U.S. politics.

"For $24.95, T-shirtKing.com offers the “Go Canadian” package, full of just the kind of things an American traveler can use to keep a vacation free of U.S. politics.There’s a Canadian flag T-shirt, a Canadian flag lapel pin and a Canadian patch for luggage or a backpack. There’s also a quick reference guide — “How to Speak Canadian, Eh?” — on answering questions about Canada."

However, it should be noted that, according to the President of the company, that the package was designed as a joke and not as a slight against the United States or Canada.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2004/12/07/770032.html
http://www.t-shirtking.com/gocanadian.html/696371cb3ccaa78bbbf23f65d11d5209

VonRichtofen

RE: Scared To Travel As An American? Go Canadian!

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:16 am

This will be great to keep Canada's good image around the world  Insane

Then again, I guess the ugly Americans wouldn't think of wearing the shirt of another nation. Perhaps the Americans that will use this will be of the non-ignorant and intelligent type. Most Americans I've met overseas were really cool. The odd one would be considered an "ugly American" but I've met some "ugly canadians" too.

Kris

pilotaydin

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:38 am

this is horrible..... nothing against canada, but travelling and spreading friendship and culture is the absoluite anti terror drug...staying in north america is what the terrorists want u to do!
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

ltbewr

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:32 pm

From 1983 to 2002, I have been in the UK, Ireland and many countries in Western Europe, Australia and NZ. I never recall a significant problem or being scared from being an American. BUT I try to keep my appearance low key, no flags or pins or clothing that clearly said "I AM AN AMERICAN". I try to use some of local language, beheave responsibably (only getting drunk once in a while  Big grin ), try to see things not the hot spots for Ugly American tourists, say in simple lodgings (inexpensive motels, youth hostels), use local transit and trains, get good info from tourist info offices and studied before I left. I often talked about politics and culture of the USA at the time and leared a lot from those in the Country I was visiting in. Yes, today it may be a little different due to the policies of the Bush II administration. One shouldn't be ashamed of being an American or have to use a cover of being Canadian. Probably if your a blantent Red State Republican without a well rounded education or much of an open mind, then stick to Florida rather than France.

yyz717

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:37 pm

The odd one would be considered an "ugly American" but I've met some "ugly canadians" too.

Me too. A couple of times down south I've cursed the "ugly American" on the beach or at the hotel bar for being too obnoxious. Then I see him on my Skyservice flight back to YYZ.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

flylondon

Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:08 am

Funnily enough the citizens of major cities around the world know that if someone has Canadian patches/flags/t-shirts on then they are most likely to be American and they're not fooling anyone.

In fact I saw a survey recently that found that 73% of people displaying the Maple Leaf on the London Underground were American!

canuckpaxguy

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:00 am

It's an interesting subject. American backpackers have sewn the good ol' maple leaf on their backpacks for years, sometimes just for fun, but like VonRichtofen said, I've met just as many Canadians who make asses of themselves as Americans while touring.

It's been my experience that Canadians poke fun at Americans when they really don't know what they're talking about. Sure, there are the hillbillies and bumpkins, but those who point fingers should take a look in their own backyards before making comments about the ignorant.

We're supposed to be the big, friendly neighbour who invites people over for beers, but I often feel like the snotty, two-faced neighbour who spreads gossip to all the other neighbours. Truth is, I've never had better hospitality than when I was in West Virginia ... and from republican, bible thumpers!!!

Canadians spend so much time trying to create their own identity by differentiating themselves from Americans ... and that's a mistake. There are just as many stupid Americans as there are Canadians....period.

(Me and all my friends excluded of course!)  Innocent

G

pacificjourney

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:03 am

American or Canadian .... those are some shitty choices !
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

Falcon84

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:05 am

I know quite a few friends at work who wear Canadian shirts, or have Canadian name tags on their bags.

I think it's a great idea to be spared the grief of people complaining about our president and his arrogant policies.
Work Right, Fly Hard

VonRichtofen

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:08 am

"American or Canadian .... those are some shitty choices !"

Why do you say that?

Falcon84

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:10 am

VonRichtofen, PJ says that because he's one of the biggest North American haters on this board. Of course, that's becuase he's so much better than the rest of us, so I guess we can't argue with him.  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

canuckpaxguy

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:13 am

Why can't we all just have a beer?
I'll even get some Japanese beer for the silly man.

G

pacificjourney

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:13 am

If it was a choice of those 2, just stay at home, please. Long white knee-socks and endless hi-fives ... no thanks.

jaysit

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:16 am

Unless you're planning a trip to Baghdad or Kabul or some other hotbed of Islamic fascism, why should you have to lie about who you are?

Most people around the world who dislike Bush do not at the same time dislike Americans.

All this clap trap about people hating Americans is pure sensationalism by a stupid simplistic press out to sell stupid stories to those stupid people who would never leave their states, let alone fly overseas, even if their lives depended on it.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

canuckpaxguy

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:17 am

LOL....Pacificjourney: You watch too many poorly-subtitled movies my friend.

Jaysit: That's not entirely true, but I do agree that most of the American-bashers in the world have based their opinions largely on ignorance rather than fact or experience.

G

[Edited 2004-12-10 03:20:32]

dl021

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:21 am

just be nice to people, learn to say please and thank you in the local language, and smile. People will go out of their way to be helpful if you make an effort to be nice and communicate.

canuckpaxguy....pj said he was from New Zealand in a post not long ago. I can't imagine why he hates North America, but he is free to hold any opinion he chooses.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

pacificjourney

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:49 am

Oh Jesus it's a joke making fun of what is a ridiculous idea to begin with.

On second thoughts perhaps a complete inability to laugh at yourselves was what I meant, you decide but I'm not sure why you should care so much.

canuckpaxguy

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:57 am

Guys come on....Did you see the "LOL" at the start?
Relax....Have a beer....my treat.

G

commander_rabb

Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:37 pm

On second thoughts perhaps a complete inability to laugh at yourselves was what I meant, you decide but I'm not sure why you should care so much.

Wow the humor of a mental midget. Spare us the typical yukity yuks.

itsjustme

Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:06 pm

I'm not scared to travel as an American....just embarrassed. 2008 can't get here soon enough.

UTA_flyinghigh

Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:32 pm

That actually is true, I have indeed a couple of American friends who stitched a "Canada" flag on their backpack to alleviate any anti-Americanism. Very sad.

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

707CMF

Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:34 pm

On a similar note, when I was living in the UK, a French coworker of mine was quite scared of the (assumed) anti French feelings there (way before 9-11 and Irak). So he was pretending around to be from Belgium...

What a fool