DeltaGuy
Topic Author

How To Find A Hamster

Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:43 am

We have two little guy hamsters here at my house, pretty neat little critters. Anyways, I let em roam around on the computer desk last night, then put em up for the night. This morning when I sat down on the computer, I didn't even know they were gone, till one of em nibbled on my big toe....the smaller one was sitting under the desk like nothing was wrong. So I caught him, but his partner in crime is still missing....my downstairs area is pretty big tho  Sad

I've searched high and low...any tips to catch these damn things?
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

ConcordeBoy

RE: How To Find A Hamster

Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:46 am

any tips to catch these damn things?

get AA61Hvy to bend over.......
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

KYIPpilot

Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:46 am

Food. Mousetrap. Hamster caught.

Big grin
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

Logan22L

Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:49 am

God, ConcordeBoy, you're too quick for me on this one. This was just too easy...

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

Boeing4ever

Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:58 am

Set up a little "trap" for him with some food in a nice open middle area of your downstairs area. That should lure him out.

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

SWA TPA

Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:11 am

I had one once escape his cage and get into the wall via a small hole under the bathroom cabinet. I put out his food and sat by the hole for hours waiting for him to come out. Once it got dark out he came for the food and I trapped him  Smile
Definately lure him with food, he is going to get hungry and come out to search.
BTW if you want a really great rodent for a pet, get a rat. I had several as a kid and they were very easy to train. Mine did tricks and I could even let them loose in my room! They were paper trained and they came out from where ever they were when you called them! Truly wonderful and sweet creatures. Every hamster I ever had bit the crap out of me when you tried to pick them up. Rats, never ever bit!
I even took one trick or treating with me! He stayed on my shoulder for several hours!
Good luck finding your little friend though  Smile

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

DeltaGuy
Topic Author

Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:24 am

Thanks guys  Smile These little biggers like to bite, but I know one of em is my friend...right now he's missin his other hamster bud though, kinda lookin a lil sad there in the cage.

I planted food in several rooms of the house, closed all the doors and put clothes under the cracks, so we'll see which room gets eaten up when im gone for the day....damn thing is probably asleep somewhere, I did find a pee stain on the bathroom tile....at least they know where to go!

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

MD11Engineer

Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:00 am

My sister used to have one when she was a kid. One day she was on holidays with her scout group, she left the hamster with my father. To make it short, the animal escaped and my father went looking for it. About two weeks later there started a rotten smell in his flat. He asked me to come over and help him find it, because the smell got worse and worse. In the end we found the remains of the hamster. Apparently it climbed ona radiator and fell into a big Chinese vase, where it starved to death.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

jaysit

Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:40 am

They eat them in some South American countries like Peru.

Seen any Peruvians lurking around lately?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

redngold

Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:16 am

We used to capture loose gerbils this way:

1. Get a large mixing or salad bowl, preferrably one with smooth, steep sides.

2. Put it in the middle of a room.

3. Use books or other objects to create "stairs" or a ramp to the lip of the bowl.

4. Create a trail of food or sunflower seeds to the lip of the bowl. Make sure you put some in the bottom of the bowl.

5. Turn off the lights. Go to bed.

6. Check the bowl in the morning.

Simple, the gerbil/hamster is happily fed but cannot escape from the bowl because there's no traction.
Up, up and away!

JetService

Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:26 am

Or buy those no-kill mouse traps and plant them along the baseboards.
"Shaddap you!"

redngold

Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:15 am

DON'T use the no-kill mouse traps that are sticky boards! It is nearly impossible to free the rodent from those without causing serious injury. The reason they're called no-kill is because the animal dies of starvation instead. They really do lead to the death of the animal.

redngold
Up, up and away!

n229nw

Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:38 am

Not that this is helpful to you at all, but I 100% second SWA TPA's plug for rats. My sister had a couple of hamsters that bit people and died when we were kids. Then we got rats, and they were 1.) many times smarter, REALLY smart, 2.)never bite (unless you get a really nasty one) 3.) actually like humans as friends and want to love you and lick you and sleep in your lap and follow you around all that stuff that dogs do 4.) have very different personalities from each other and interesting quirks (neat-freaks vs. slobby, playful/tricky vs. cuddly, etc. 5.) mostly come when called (which is a big advantage if you are in the situation you are in...)--though this really depends on the personality of the rat too.

They do always figure out how to get out of their cage though, so you usually need to start putting a clip or twist-seal on it.

Good luck though.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Falcon84

Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:42 am

ConcordeBoy, I was holding my 5 year old on my lap when I read what you said. I started laughing, and of course my son had no clue why.

That was classic.  Laugh out loud
Work Right, Fly Hard

ConcordeBoy

Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:46 am

DON'T use the no-kill mouse traps that are sticky boards! It is nearly impossible to free the rodent from those without causing serious injury.

That's not true at all.

Just do what the instructions on the thing tell you to do: drop a cap-full of cooking oil onto the vermin and give it a minute, they'll slide right off. If not, hold it perpendicular to the ground.

DeltaGuy
Topic Author

Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:32 am

No luck thus far....I checked each room as best I can, left a little bit of food on a piece of tinfoil, then sealed off the room with some laundry under the door. No eating of any of the food yet, maybe he just went to sleep all day. I was curious as to whether or not he went upstairs...there's carpet on all the stairs, but each stair is like 6-8" tall.

Thanks for the advice folks...I may have to try that bowl trick, or just go buy a lookalike lol.

DeltaGuy

Newark777

Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:36 am

Sorry to be off-topic, but where do hampsters come from? Is there some place in the world where hampsters roam free? I've never heard of them in any place but as pets. I personally think it would be funny to see herds of hampsters grazing on some prairie somewhere.

But anyway, good luck in your hampster search.
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

pwm2txlhopper

Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:32 am

If you're fond of reptiles, perhaps you could purchase a Boa or python at the pet store and let it roam the house for a few nights. Then if you save the receipt, you can just return the creature and get a refund...

DeltaGuy
Topic Author

Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:50 am

I want the hamster returned alive lol....or else certain little children will freak out....even more so than when they saw DLKAPA coming towards them  Big grin

DeltaGuy

DLKAPA

Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:53 am

oh sorry Deltaguy asshole! The hampster rodent is in asshole mine ok? After you broke up me I cried and I cried so I stuck hampster rodent in asshole my!

Signed,
Stuart
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

DeltaGuy
Topic Author

Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:58 am

Wheeeew! Just found him.....I was on the phone complaining how that little thing got away, when I look down at a box near my desk, and there he is, looking up at me. He got a couple of flicks for punishment, and he's confined to the cage for a week...we'll play with his friend though, but he'll have to watch from the sidelines lol.

All's well that ends well  Smile Thanks mates

DeltaGuy

ConcordeBoy

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:05 am

Sorry to be off-topic, but where do hampsters come from?

The only place 'hampsters' exist is the Land of Broken English  Laugh out loud

redngold

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:10 am

Up, up and away!

707CMF

Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:54 pm

Those things are quite hard to find.

One of my good friends has a cute black hamster. It is so small we call it "The little turd" I would not want to see it loose in her appartment thoug !

Cheers,