Blackhawk144
Topic Author

Anyone Like "Hooked On Classics"?

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:14 pm

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone here really likes the "Hooked on Classics" CDs? It's what got me into liking Classical music.

Anthony
Time is the best of all teachers. Unfortunately, it kills all of its students!

tristarenvy

RE: Anyone Like "Hooked On Classics"?

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:45 pm

Probably on of the great examples of 80's culture, those albums were. Take something old, jazz it up, and the public will love it. Just like Ronnie.  Smile

I had friends who were aerobics instructors who used "Hooked" for their classes.

Now, there were some other albums that did Beatles/Beachboys songs, too, right?
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

electraBob

Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:49 pm

I am looking at my copy of the original "Hooked On Classics" 45 rpm record done by The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra....released in October, 1981....Classical music with a disco beat.....this recording actually made it all the way to #10 on the billboard top pop singles chart....good stuff.
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

electraBob

Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:03 am

Now, there were some other albums that did Beatles/Beachboys songs, too, right?

You're talking about the medly by a group of Dutch musicians called "Stars on 45" -- their original medley made it to #1 on the charts in 1981....original medley consisted of Venus/Sugar Sugar/No Reply/I'll be Back/Drive My Car/Do You Want To Know A Secret/We Can Work It Out/I Should Have Known Better/Nowhere Man/You're Going To Lose That Girl/Stars On 45.....all done to a disco beat.

They actually released three other singles....Medly II (more beatles), More Stars (a bunch of different artists and groups) and Stars on 45 III (a tribute to Stevie Wonder).
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

tristarenvy

Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:04 am

God, ever tried explaining what a "45" is to anyone under the age of 20? My daughters look at me like I'm talking quantum physics when I tell them about playing "45's" on the radio, back in the 80's....
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

Tom in NO

Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:06 am

"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina