Jkw777
Topic Author

Anyone Driven The BMW Z4?

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:10 pm

Hi there,

Just after your experiences with the BMW Z4! Any one of you had the chance to ride this thing?!

What's it like!? The 2.5 or 3.0 will do fine, doesn't matter as long as its a Z4!  Smile

Look forward to some replies,

Regards,

Justin  Big grin
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

drerx7

RE: Anyone Driven The BMW Z4?

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:49 am

Yes--I've driven the Z4 2.5 auto and SMG--the SMG is not as smooth as in the M3 but its decent. The 2.5 is of course low on power when compared to the 3.0L, however it moves smartly. Honestly, I was not wholly impressed with it--I'm not a fan of the Bangled styling of alot of the current BMWs. In this price range and class I would probably check out an S2000, Boxster, or the SLK350. If you like the styling of the Z4 then you'll love the way it drives, I just can't get past its looks.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

flight152

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:59 am

I've driven a Z4 3.0 6-speed with the sport package. I was totally impressed with its handling and grip around corners and the 6-speed made it so fun to drive. I don't think the automatic-only SLK can really compare, but I haven't driven one yet. Personally, I like the skark-faced Z4, it really breaks the mold and turns heads, unlikes some of the other offerings.

If you like the styling of the Z4 then you'll love the way it drives, I just can't get past its looks.

What does liking the styling have anything to do with that way it drives?

AA777

Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:24 am

the Z4 is a sweet little roadster. I love the exterior styling, as long as you make sure to get the right wheels on the car. My favorite are the 18in rims that come on the Z4 3.0 w/ sport package. I would also say that the Z4 is definitley better than the SLK 350, (which in my opionion is boring and has an ugly front end). I love the Tail end styling and front end of the Z4, its very different, it doesnt fit into the mold, yet it is not hideous like other cars that tried to break out of the mold.... For the price, I say test drive a Porsche Boxter, the SLK  Insane, and the Audi TT. You will find that the TT has the weakest handling of all four, the boxtster the strongest, and then the BMW. The audi though, has the cool factor, as does its Bavarian cousin, the Z4.

-AA777

captaingomes

Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:39 am

I don't think the automatic-only SLK can really compare

The SLK is available with a manual 6-speed too, and it is said to be much improved over the previous gearbox.

What does liking the styling have anything to do with that way it drives?

The styling has nothing to do with the way a vehicle drives, but it has a lot to do with the ownership experience of a vehicle in this category. I too am not that impressed with the styling of the Z4.

I'm sure it drives extremely well, but the competition is also very impressive, so it's not like BMW is the only choice for driving enthusiasts in this category.

"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

racko

Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:53 am

I never driven one myself, but I was passenger in one and it felt quite good, especially in sharp turns. Doesn't drive as good as the boxster of course, which is unrivaled in its price class handling-wise by a big margin.

If you buy one, just make sure to buy white turning-lights glass, because I think the orange ones destroy the look.

BOEING747-700

Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:04 am

I have driven the Z4 3L, my friend has one and I used it a few times in the summer (for tooting around with some women  Big grin ) and I found it quite nice, great 6 speed and it was the little rocket. I would go with the 3L. BMW is a great car, my uncle has a 760 and that is the King of the BMWs. Look out!!

UAL747

Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:18 am

Yup. My sister currently drives one. Very fun to drive, but no room whatsoever! My dad ordered her the small Lexus SUV because he didn't like the idea of her driving that small of a car. She is getting the Lexus RX330 (i think that is what it is called) for Christmas.

Here's a pic of us with our current cars.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

drerx7

Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:29 am

The way it looks has nothing to do with it--what I mean is that if you think it looks good (you should ask yourself why) then you'll love it--because they do drive well. I'm sure the 3.0L is a mover--I've experienced this powerplant in the 330Ci and 530i. The Z4 is currently the slowest selling BMW model-followed by the nearly as unattractive 7 series.

BOEING747-700

Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:35 am

Hey Phil, that Lexus SUV is built in my home town, a lot of my friends work on that line, so in a sense they are building her truck. FYI its the only Lexus built outside of Japan.

desertjets

Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:57 am

Is you dad going to put a big giant bow on it and park it in the living room like in the Lexus commercials.... *lol* The big bow would be cool though.

Can't tell you anything about the Z4, but I can tell you everything you wanted to know about the 2002 Mazda 626 or the 2004 Toyota Camry (which I rented last week).
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

AC848

Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:35 pm

Have also driven the Z4 on a few occasions (Uncle's car - '04 Z4 3.0i with a 6-speed).

As Ual747 mentioned, I found it to be a little cramped (I'm 6'1), but it accelerated very briskly and I liked how it handled as well. Very decent driving impression overall, but in my opinion isn't number one in the looks dept.

BOEING747-700, I also know a few people who work at the Cambridge plant (more specifically, they paint components of the RX330's); it's a highly ranked facility.

Ual747, I'm sure your sister will enjoy her new Lexus. (btw, very nice 330Ci in that pic!)

UAL747

Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:30 am

Thanks AC848 I LOVE it! It's been the best car that I have ever had. Before this car, I had a Z3. While the Z3 was fun, it was like the Z4, cramped, no room, and at times dangerous because it's hard for other cars to see. The Z3 was a lot more fun to drive than the 330, because it was a stick, but the 330 is much much nicer on the inside. Much more quiet with the top up due to better insolation on the convertible top. A smoother sounding and feeling engine, and smoother ride overall. However, I have also driven the 325Ci and while there is a difference in HP, it was very hard to tell. One thing I like about ALL BMW's is the thing they have going on with the pedal. You can press the gas pedal all the way down, but then, if you want more power, just press harder and you can feel the pedal go "click" and it shifts you to a lower gear bringing the RPM's up. I also have the Steptronic drive on my car. Well, I have 3 types of drives actually. There is the normal mode, then if you bring the car to drive and push the stick (albeit it's automatic) to the left, it puts you in a higher power mode. (Car stays at higher RPM and responds quicker to gas pedal inputs). Then once you have moved the gear shifter to the left, you can push it up or down to change gears, but when you do this, it takes it out of power mode and lets you control what gear you are in.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

drerx7

Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:47 am

The only thing I don't like about alot of manufacturers steptronic mode is that they will automatically upshift--very few allow you to take the cars to redline. I briefly considered getting a 330Ci myself--they are good cars-overpriced-but good.

S12PPL

Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:56 am

I have been fortunate enough to drive a Z3...Not as fun as the BMW M3 I've driven though.. Big grin
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

UAL747

Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:33 am

Drerx7,

I hate that about the steptronic. It DOESN'T let you redline. It will automatically up shift. I think that on the Porsche it lets you redline it though.

UAL747

drerx7

Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:45 pm

Porsche's do and so do some Mazda's--I know the RX8 lets you redline.