Computer Problems

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:17 pm

Hey Everyone,

My computer is really screwed up and I want to re-install windows (XP).

If I do that, will all the files on my computer (ie photos, games, etc.) be lost?
Should I save the things I want to keep on a disk just to be sure?

Kas Crew - Head Photo Screener

RE: Computer Problems

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:29 pm

You will lose everything on your hard drive if you clean install windows again. If you want to keep your existing files and programmes, use a storage device such as a USB flash drive to back-up the important files you want to keep. You can also use blank CD's to copy files such as mp3's etc and just re-install everything once XP is up and running again.

In Arsene we trust!!

Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:03 am

I had a lot of viruses recently, and I had to clear my hard drive. I used the blank cd method, since they held a lot of info and were pretty easy to use. Games, however, will most likely all have to be re-installed. I had no idea how to erase everything and re-install it, so we had to have someone professional come in and do it.
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:12 am

If it is XP pro then just go ahead and install your XP software CD into the drive, and it will autoload. At that point you will receive a question to either install XP or repair an existing one. If you choose Install new, it will go thru several motions of checking HW and SW on Pc and eventually it will tell you that you already have Xp installed and ask you again to either install new or repair. At this point Choose repair and it will install XP again without deleting other files.

This procedure might work on XP home, but I don't know.

Another thing is that it might not fix your problem if your system is really messed up. It will fix all kinds of boot/load problems.

I would not start with a fresh install before running Ad-Aware and Spybot both are found here. It is highly recommended and should be run once in a while on any system, just as any good virus tool.

Also run defrag download a trial version of Excecutive Diskeeper 9, it even has a tool to speed up startup of your PC, that must run at boot time

Also set cash not to be handle by system, but by you. Set to twice total memory, and if possible on another disk (if you have ) then the one with most activity normally.

Good luck!
still dreaming after all these years

Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:02 am

You will lost everything on partition where WinXP is installed (because you will probably format only that partition before reinstalling  Smile), so u should backup everything to other logical partition(s) (if u dont have it, make it, for future use  Smile) or 2nd hdd (if u have it  Smile)...and if don't have any of that..burn it on CD/DVD/or sth  Smile
It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:29 am

Ok, I'm burning the last CD at the moment. Thanks all so much for your tips/thought/advices!! Smile

Kas Crew - Head Photo Screener