CPH-R
Topic Author

So It Begins: Congressman Warns Of Iranian Attack

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:20 pm

WASHINGTON - A senior Republican congressman has been warning America's intelligence community for more than a year of an alleged Iranian plot to crash commercial airliners into a New Hampshire nuclear reactor.

http://www.nysun.com/article/6231

Even though the NY Sun is veery low on the list of credible sources, I thought this one was nice.

I wonder if they'll pull another "either you're with us, or you're against us" on the Democrats in the 2006 votes. After all, it worked so fine in 2002.

mdsh00

RE: So It Begins: Congressman Warns Of Iranian Att

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:28 pm

Sigh, I really hope this won't happen. I think invading Iran would be, by FAR the stupidest thing this administration could ever do. Yes, the government is full of jackasses, but there is the whole younger generation of young people in Iran that don't wan't this government. The US should give financial/moral support to these people rather than invading and turning Iran's opposition against us.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Springbok747

RE: So It Begins: Congressman Warns Of Iranian Attack

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:47 pm

Yup, I agree with Msdh00, invading Iran would be really stupid. Iraq and Afghanistan are still in chaos, and add Iran to that...wow, that would be a recipe for WW3.

אני תומך בישראל

DLKAPA

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:49 pm

Well, I've screwed up the American economy and the Iraqi economy...

Maybe 3rd time's the charm?  Confused  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

OYRJA

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:52 pm

That would be pretty stupid.
Let the young Iranian generation take care of removing the government. And when that has happened I'm sure Iran will change to a muchbetter place in the future.

DC10GUY

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:59 pm

Well we have come this far, why not go for it all !!! I don't think Iran would do anything like that. It would give Dubya a GOOD excuses to attack Iran with nukes !!! Right now he's still looking for ideas on how to do it. I would put money on a attack on Iran before he leaves office.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

CPH-R
Topic Author

Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:06 pm

An interesting twist on what DC10guy said, though I can't remember where I read it (might have been on one of the other forums I frequent):

Iran has repeatedly stated during the recent nuclear spectacle, that if its nuclear reactors were bombed, regardless if it was US or Israeli aircrafts who did it, they would respond by bombing Israel with its rockets, which we know they have.

If Iran did bomb Israel, Dubya would be the first to release the nuclear codes and attack Iran (what else is he gonna use? The US army is pretty stretched & conventional bombs only goes so far).

greaser

Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:15 pm

Iran has repeatedly stated during the recent nuclear spectacle, that if its nuclear reactors were bombed, regardless if it was US or Israeli aircrafts who did it, they would respond by bombing Israel with its rockets, which we know they have.

Given the options Pres.Bush has, i highly doubt any invasion would occur. If the damage is really bad, Tehran would probably be nuked. If it's not so bad, Washington will destroy the government infrastructure using bombers, and the Navy, paving the way for another revolution, in hopes of one in the US's favor.
Even if Clinton were in office now, i really doubt he would handle such an event any different given the curretn circumstances. BTW, bfore any Israeli city is struck, Tehran would be in the 17th century.
Now you're really flying

mdsh00

Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:38 pm

Washington will destroy the government infrastructure using bombers, and the Navy, paving the way for another revolution, in hopes of one in the US's favor.

Unfortunately, the only thing which would occur is a new generation of people hating the US. In my opinion, Iran is a paper tiger. Leave the regime change to the intelligent Iranian people.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

ConcordeBoy

Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:22 pm

wow, that would be a recipe for WW3

...get with the times, we're already in WW4  Yeah sure
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

MD11Engineer

Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:29 pm

Another thing is that China is currently closely cooperating with Iran. The reason is that China at the moment needs all cheap oil it can get. Also, both Russia and China are not interested in any strengthening of the US position on the Asian continent.
Plus, the Al Qaeda story wont catch concerning Iran. The majority of Iranians are Shiite Muslims, who are regarded as heretics by the Wahabi Muslims, who make up the leadership of Al Qaeda. There is no love lost between those two groups and AFIK, Al Qaeda members get hung in Iran.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

pilotaydin

Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:41 pm

fix the usa before u fix iran...

illegal immigrants
drugs
racism
poor education in some southern areas
unsafe neighboorhoods

not a good record for a leading promoter of peace and development.....
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

Russophile

Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:35 pm

I'd like to see the US go into Iran. It wouldn't be like fighting a rag-tag army a la Taliban Afghanistan, nor would it be like fighting a large army which has been decimated by a war 10 years ago and sanctions, a la Iraq. It would be a bloodbath, not only for the Iranians, but also for the Americans. Would make good viewing on CNN, as I have seen all the blood and gore movies in my local video library, and could do with something more real to life to get my socks off on.

sabenapilot

Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:43 pm

In the end those warlords in Washington might claim there simply was a spelling mistake in the President's briefing on WMDs: It should have read IRAN iso IRAQ...  Nuts

Yeah, go ahead, take Iran too now!
I mean, Afghanistan went really well and Iraq was even more of a outright success, so why not quickly attack that annoying county in between to fully 'stabilize' the hart of the Middle East and see a democratic belt of states emerge while at it? After all :you have to ride the tide, don't you?

Springbok747

Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:34 pm

...get with the times, we're already in WW4

So, what was WW3 then? Iraq? Or was (is) it the Israeli-Palestine conflict?
אני תומך בישראל

ConcordeBoy

Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:37 pm

Nope, think harder comrade...  Laugh out loud

Banco

Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:41 pm

Practicalities.

If (I know this is a huge if) there was an invasion of Iran, how overstretched would the US forces be? Given there's 130,000 troops in Iraq at present, how well could the US cope with another major war? I'm not suggesting military defeat or anything like that, but surely it would be impractical to start another major campaign at the present time? Sure, the US could cope if it absolutely had to, but this isn't WWII where two fronts are in place because it's a battle for survival.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

ConcordeBoy

Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:07 pm

but this isn't WWII where two fronts are in place because it's a battle for survival.

Actually, by the very nature of its design... the USA military was intended to be able to fight on two wholy separate fronts plus retain sufficient force to defend the homeland.

...'course, intention and reality can be two separate concepts.

Banco

Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:11 pm

That's pretty much what I mean, Concordeboy. Whilst the US is very definitely capable of doing so in a world war scenario, that's very different to the situation we find ourselves in the modern world. Given the overall peaceful state of the world, how practical would it be?
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Gary2880

Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:31 pm

i would like to see america try it with north korea, they would give one hell of a fight, real soldiers there not saddam loyalists. but it`ll never happen as america is in nuking distance of north korea so im sure bush will be too scared to pick a war with someone that would really fight back
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

Boeing Nut

Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:34 pm

...get with the times, we're already in WW4

Nope, think harder comrade...

Man, C'boy really is a true fan of innuendos.

(insert joke here)
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

EGGD

Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:53 pm

Oh my goodness, concrete evidence! You know, having an interest in aviation I would've thought the supposed target to be Seattle (SEA) rather than some obscure nuclear reactor in the middle of nowhere..

Falcon84

Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:58 pm

A contiuance of the "let's scare the American people into submission" plan by the GOP. This is going to be their theme as long as they can milk it. They certainly did so during the last eleciton campaign.
Work Right, Fly Hard

sebolino

Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:51 pm

Well, WW3 was the cold war, I guess WW4 is the new religion war.

aloges

Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:01 pm

Well, if it does happen, we'll see the same people defending it that defended the war in Iraq, that's for sure. Only that they're going to be claiming how much has been learnt from Iraq... thing is, had anything been learnt from Vietnam, no one would ever have gone to war in Iraq in the first place. Reassuring, isn't it?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

ProSimTec

Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:35 am

Combine the crux of this thread and this story.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6716176/

Another "take over", be it overt or covert, may indeed be in the works.

After all, isn't this all the evidence Duya needs?  Angry

Scotty

Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:42 am

The majority of Iranians are Shiite Muslims, who are regarded as heretics by the Wahabi Muslims, who make up the leadership of Al Qaeda. There is no love lost between those two groups and AFIK, Al Qaeda members get hung in Iran

Isnt there an old Arab proverb - "my enemy's enemy is my friend"?

SlamClick

Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:09 am

Hey, I have a great idea! Let's change all the laws and treaties and foreign policy positions here in the USA to something that Iran and the other Islamic-run nations can approve of. Let's do whatever we can to make them like us.

Now, what exactly would that entail?

• Abandon Israel for sure. Sorry Israel.

• Stop buying Arab oil at the price set by Arabs. Sorry Saudis.

• Stop being the police force in the middle east and . . .

• Stop being the police force where the middle east borders the rest of the world.

• Remove our objectionable caucasian, Christian-lineage, infidel bodies from the Arabian Peninsula because the "tolerant" "peaceful" religion of the region finds us offensive even when they've begged us to come in and protect them from their "tolerant, peaceful" neighbors they will not allow us to fly our own flag on our bases or allow our Christian chaplains to display the cross that is the emblem of their corps.

• Change our laws so that women cannot hold any power over men.

• Make them cover those disgusting bodies that the God of the Christians gave them. Faces too! Huge mistake, faces. Okay, all you women cover them!

• What else have I forgotten?

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

rjpieces

Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:55 am

SlamClick, Do I see you volunteering to abandon your car(s?) so that the US isn't dependent on foreign oil? I didn't think so....Your plan is all nice and dandy but it's simply not possible and not going to win the war that we are now fighting.

I didn't get a chance to read most of the responses in this thread but a few thoughts about the topic at hand......

The NY Sun IS a credible source...I don't know what makes you say otherwise CPH-R.

When government officials talk about attacking Iran, I don't think anyone is talking about a full invasion (as we did in Iraq). Rather very limited airstrikes against nuclear targets and perhaps some commando operations, but surely not a 125,000 troop occupation of Iran. This is not as simple as Iraq was in 1981; Most reports say that Iran has spread their nuclear program around the country and even in cities, making an airstrike more difficult.

From what I've read, everyone in Iran is bonded by the prospect of having the bomb--The religious rulers and even the younger generation. I don't think a revolution in Iran would stop them from pursuing getting nukes.

Here is an interview with Doug Feith, the # 3 at the Pentagon.
    http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1102752565828&p=1078113566627

But strikingly, whereas British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw last month ruled out any possibility of military action against Iranian nuclear sites should the diplomatic path lead to failure, Feith said that "I don't think that anybody should be ruling in or ruling out anything while we are conducting diplomacy."
    "Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

MaverickM11

Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:59 am

"I've screwed up the American economy "

It's doing just fine thank you.
    E pur si muove -Galileo

Derico

Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:07 am

The US could conceivably bomb Iran, but it most certainly cannot invade it with it's current military power.

The only way it could is if the US as a country actually mobilizes for war, drafts about a million men to the army, and increases it's military spending by 1/3.
    My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

SlamClick

Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:10 am

Well Rjpieces since I don't believe you actually read my entire post since your response to it was so wildly inappropriate, let me just tell you this.

I was being sarcastic.
    Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

MD11Engineer

Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:16 am

With the US forces already overstretched in Iraq, no new Allies in sight to come and help out in an Iran invasion and the countries about 3 times as big as Iraq, plus it bordering to notoriuos Afghanistan, I´ll see the US forces being in deep dodo if they go in....

Jan

ConcordeBoy

Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:22 am

Well, WW3 was the cold war, I guess WW4 is the new religion war.

Bingo

cfalk

Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:55 am

I have no desire to see the U.S. invade Iran for many reasons. I don't think the U.S. military is up to the job alone without causeing an unacceptably huge number of casualties. Same goes for North Korea. The only way the U.S. can beat either of those countries is for the gloves to come off and they use their capabilities to the full. Politically that will never be acceptable unless in response to a first strike.

However, I wonder what you all will say when a terrorist nuke goes off in New York or L.A... It's going to happen one of these days. Unfortunately it is a statistical certainty.

Charles
    The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

commander_rabb

Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:07 am

Would make good viewing on CNN, as I have seen all the blood and gore movies in my local video library, and could do with something more real to life to get my socks off on.

This my friends are the rantings of an insane person. What sane person would want to see that happen?

Perhaps another virus intoduced into society would be a better thing to control a lifestyle of idiocy?

Then there was this.

fix the usa before u fix iran...

illegal immigrants
    drugs
    racism
    poor education in some southern areas
    unsafe neighboorhoods

not a good record for a leading promoter of peace and development.....

Wow, you have these problems too? Yet you are no superpower? Damn that's so unfair!!!!!!!!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh  Crying River!

MD11Engineer

Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:16 am

Charles,

I think too that sooner or later we´ll see a terrorist nuke going off in a major city in the world. I just hope that the powers that be will take time and make a carefull investigation to find out the REAL culprits instead of just going after the nearest target of convenience or of political opportunity.

Jan

commander_rabb

Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:28 am

I think too that sooner or later we´ll see a terrorist nuke going off in a major city in the world. I just hope that the powers that be will take time and make a careful investigation to find out the REAL culprits instead of just going after the nearest target of convenience or of political opportunity.

Hahaha yeah while the second one detonates? You had better hope that it does not happen in the United States for if it does there is the potential for economies around the world to be ruined and a vast depression to occur. But then what's a depression when you have the United States blowing up a good part of the Arab world for it is they that are the most likely to be the culprits.

"Mecca was once here." If they want that said it will be their own falut.

pilotaydin

Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:13 am

"Wow, you have these problems too? Yet you are no superpower? Damn that's so unfair!!!!!!!!"

yeah we have those problems too, which is why my country isnt trying to tell the rest of the world how it should be like...you made my point...
    The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

rlwynn

Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:21 am

"You had better hope that it does not happen in the United States for if it does there is the potential for economies around the world to be ruined and a vast depression to occur. "

Road Warrior here we come.
    I can drive faster than you

L.1011

Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:56 am

Hmmm...so Russophile wants to see American soldiers die. Nice. Truly glad you're so in favor of peace and the fundamental rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

BTW, bfore any Israeli city is struck, Tehran would be in the 17th century.

What do you mean? It's already in the 12th!  Big grin

JetService

Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:57 am

However, I wonder what you all will say when a terrorist nuke goes off in New York or L.A... It's going to happen one of these days. Unfortunately it is a statistical certainty.

They will say the people in charge are negligent because they made to attempt to preempt this attack.
    "Shaddap you!"

srbmod

Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:15 am

Why do we just combine Iran and Iraq and call it Irate.

You think the Muslim fundamentalists hate us now, imagine what would happen if we bombed Iran? Some genius wrote an e-mail to CNN International saying that Christian countries don't want Muslim countries to have nuclear weapons. This person is very ill informed, as China is not considered a Christian country, and I wouldn't exactly call India and Pakistan hotbeds of Christianity either.

Iran claims that they need to develop the nuclear material for power plants. Iran is a major oil supplier, why do they need to develop nuclear reactors? It would be like Budweiser going into the wine business, it makes no sense. For all we know, Islamic terror groups may already possess the material for a nuclear bomb, but lack the delivery system to do so at this time. If the rumored number of Soviet-built suitcase bombs that are missing is even partially true, we're all in danger regardless. China is a major trading partner with the US and this isn't exactly "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" when it comes to Iran.

If an Iranian missile hits Israel, the Middle East will explode into a conflict that would make the two Gulf Wars look like a game of capture the flag. The US and Israel will attack Iran in retaliation, China could in retaliation attack the US either by launching an invasion of Taiwan or a direct strike against US military targets in Asia, risking getting Japan or South Korea involved in the conflict as well. North Korea could launch a strike against South Korea or even Japan in order to thin America's ability to strike back in the region. At the same time, with the US and China going at it hammer and tongs, Al Qaeda and the Taliban could undermind the Afghani and even the Pakistani governments, and could have access to the Pakistani nuclear arsenal and launch missiles against Indian and US interests in the region. From one attack, an entire part of the world could be rendered a wasteland for centuries to come.

Russophile

Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:47 am

This my friends are the rantings of an insane person. What sane person would want to see that happen?

You didn't pick up on the sarcasm in my post? So no, I wouldn't want to see it happen. But there sure as hell many members on these forums who would like America to invade Iran without reason, and hence getting that result.

Hmmm...so Russophile wants to see American soldiers die. Nice. Truly glad you're so in favor of peace and the fundamental rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

So you want to see Iranian soldiers die do you?

Unlike others, I don't want a war created out of nothing which will only lead to Iranian and American deathes, BUT, if America was to invade Iran without just cause (for which this would be the case), then I would hope the Iranians repel any such invasion to the best of their ability. If that results in tens of thousands of dead American soldiers, then so be it. Thankfully, America would likely go in there alone, as Iran is not an international pariah in the view of the greater part of the world, so troops from countries from previous American invasions would likely be absent.

The NY Sun IS a credible source...I don't know what makes you say otherwise CPH-R.

The NY Sun is a conservative paper right?

From the article:

Since February 2003, Rep. Curt Weldon of Pennsylvania has held a series of secret meetings in Paris with a former high-ranking official in the Shah's government who has correctly predicted........................

Is this in the same way that the US used as their evidence to justify an invasion of Iraq, information from opposition leaders from the Iraqi National Congress, most noteably, Ahmed Chalabi. How disgraced is Chalabi, and the US, now because of this 'information'?

In Washington, the new book from Mr. Weldon, based in part on his meetings with Ali, will provide fresh ammunition for the Republicans against an intelligence community perceived by the White House as hostile to the president's policies.

A book? Hmmmm.........hope he sells lots of copies.

Whilst the paper may be (or not be) a credible source, the actual source of the information needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

cba

Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:45 am

As previously stated, the current Iranian government is living on borrowed time. Give Iran 5 years and we're looking at a new government. Invading would not make things better.

rjpieces

Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:49 pm

SlamClick, my apologies...That's what I get for reading A.net before I've hopped in the shower.

"Mecca was once here." If they want that said it will be their own falut.

LOL. Indeed.

So you want to see Iranian soldiers die do you?

Unlike others, I don't want a war created out of nothing which will only lead to Iranian and American deathes, BUT, if America was to invade Iran without just cause (for which this would be the case), then I would hope the Iranians repel any such invasion to the best of their ability. If that results in tens of thousands of dead American soldiers, then so be it. Thankfully, America would likely go in there alone, as Iran is not an international pariah in the view of the greater part of the world, so troops from countries from previous American invasions would likely be absent.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO moral equivalency between US soldiers and Iranian soldiers. Period. You are truly an enemy of freedom if you can say with a straight face that you would support Iran in a war against the US. Stay in Australia or wherever you call home.

Also, about the whole Israel-Iran conflict, I seriously doubt that Israel (Yet alone the US) would let Iran get to a point where using nukes is an option. If Israel does attack Iran, it will have to be with US support since Israeli aircraft would have to fly through (and refuel in) Iraq. Iran has said they would respond conventionally to an Israeli attack on their nukes, but remember that 135,000 US troops, aircraft, and ships are located in between Israel and Iran.
    "Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Russophile

Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:54 pm

There is ABSOLUTELY NO moral equivalency between US soldiers and Iranian soldiers.

Sure there is.

You are truly an enemy of freedom if you can say with a straight face that you would support Iran in a war against the US.

You are truly an enemy of freedom if you can say with a straight face that you would support the US in an illegal invasion of a sovereign nation which does not pose an immediate threat, nor has committed an act of war, against the US. So YES, I would support the Iranians in any war against the US. If Iran was to bomb US territory (not US 'interests'), I would support the US.

Stay in Australia or wherever you call home.

This is what the rest of the world has been telling the US to do for years. So why the hell should we?  Insane

DC10GUY

Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:42 pm

Iran has nothing to worry about. Just because Dubya has them surrounded. They should all relax, put up their Christmas trees and celebrate the holidays.
    Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

CPH-R
    Topic Author

Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:46 pm

Iran claims that they need to develop the nuclear material for power plants. Iran is a major oil supplier, why do they need to develop nuclear reactors?

Perhaps because they too are aware of the fact that oil won't last forever? Dubai have for quite some time trying to build an alternative to the oil industry (and have managed that quite well IMHO).

rjpieces

Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:46 am

They should all relax, put up their Christmas trees and celebrate the holidays.

Do you see any irony in this statement about a Muslim country....?