Falcon84
Topic Author

Yankees Make Deal For The Unit

Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:22 pm

Well, the rich in baseball get richer.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/12/16/johnson.trade.report/index.html

With the Sox losing Pedro, this certianly could shift the balance of power in the AL East.
Work Right, Fly Hard

theCoz

RE: Yankees Make Deal For The Unit

Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:28 pm

D'ah!

...well, you can't really blame the guy.

EA CO AS

Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:30 pm

Damn damn damn damn damn damn.

While I've always been a Yankees fan, I'm a resident of the Phoenix area and a diehard D'backs fan, and I hate to see the Unit go.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

clrd2go

Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:09 pm

Eeesh..I hope the Red Sox have something good cooking

Jim
What a long strange trip it's been

theCoz

Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:26 pm

Well, the Red Sox have our former, might I add awesome, pitcher Curt Schilling. (formerly dbacks)

S12PPL

Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:11 pm

Oh well, my Mariners are beefing up now. First we get Richie Sexon, now we get Adrian Beltre. Possibly Carlos Delgato...So we'll be fine this year I think!
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

Boeing Nut

Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:28 pm

Gawd I am getting soo sick of the Yankees with thier multi-million dollar shopping sprees while other teams have no chance of acquiring good players. With all this talent they have, anything short of a World Series win is pathetic.

I'll stop now or else I'm just gonna keep ranting..........  Pissed
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

KROC

Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:46 pm

Well the Chowds did sign David Wells, so they are still in it. HAHAHA.

*Watch out now that the Braves have traded for Tim Hudson...Bandwagon Red Sox Fan USairwys757 will be jumping back on the Braves wagon anytime now.*

LHMark

Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:08 am

Waaah! The Yankees signed a good player! Waah! No one else signed a good player! The Mets, Red Sox, Dodgers, Mariners, and others didn't get to sign good players because their owners can barely afford the rent for their tenement slums, and have to use food stamps to buy their government issued cheese! Waah! Only the Yankees have any money!
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Boeing Nut

Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:53 am

others didn't get to sign good players because their owners can barely afford the rent for their tenement slums, and have to use food stamps to buy their government issued cheese! Waah! Only the Yankees have any money!

Hey slick, you know how much more money the Yankees have over everyone else?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2004

The difference between the Yankees and the third richest team is $84,000,000!! The third!!!!

Now you tell me where the fairness is between the Yankees and say The Indians or the Brewers getting to sign good players. They don't have a fuckin' chance in hell.

I love the sport of baseball, but I'm getting the loathe the business part of it.

[Edited 2004-12-17 16:59:17]
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

KROC

Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:36 am

While I agree partly with what Boeing Nut is saying...he is also forgetting the fact that teams like the Brewers, Royals, Pirates etc HAVE money they can spent on players or too keep current stars...but the owners refuse to give up their profits and instead choose to cry poverty and claim that the Yankees and other big market teams are killing them. Oakland is a perennial winner yet their payroll is less than a third of the Yankees. It can be done.....

LHMark

Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:06 am

I think one thing that's been shown over the past few seasons is that payroll is NO guarantee of performance. Look at the '03 Royals, the A's, and the '03 Marlins. Then look at the '04 Yankees, the '87 through '99 Mets, the '01-'04 Mets, the last few Cubs teams, etc. The game is nigh-perfect, and it's bigger than anyone's wallet.

Small market fans, if your team owners are calculating the cheapest, worst product they can put on the field that people will still shell their ducats to see, they're RIPPING YOU OFF. Don't blame Steinbrenner because his focus is winning. Blame your own miser playboy owners who don't give a shit about the game.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Tom in NO

Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:06 am

First Paul LoDuca and Guillermo Mota, then Steve Finley and Adrian Beltre, now Shawn Green. The Dodgers keep unloading their top players and their charachter players. The Frank McCourt/Paul DePodesta regime is slowly but surely ripping apart what once was one of the more respected organizations in baseball.

Green hasn't yet waived the no-trade clause in his contract, hopefully he won't.

Tom at MSY

(edit to add) Rome is 100% correct: this trade is nothing more than a salary dump for the Dodgers. They're looking worse and worse every day.

[Edited 2004-12-17 18:12:26]
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Hodges

Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:38 am

It is time to establish a salary cap in major league baseball. Look at what the salary cap did for football. It is now near impossible to have dynasties like the 49ers or Cowboys anymore. Yes, the Patriots have won 2 of the last 3, but that will probably be the last of their Super Bowl wins for a while now. A salary cap will level the playing field. Just because certain teams are blessed with large profitable markets doesn't mean they should hold osme advantage over a team with a smaller market. Small market teams like Pittsburgh, Kansas City, and other small market teams' only chance at competing with large market teams like the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, etc. is to have a brilliant GM and administration that know how to run a team at 100% efficiency. I'm tired of seeing lots of the same teams in the playoffs year after year. FOr the greater interest of baseball, if you're going to level the playing field for the players, why not level the playing field for the teams?

Erik
Beer, helping ugly people have sex since 1862.

pilottj

Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:52 pm

Yeah, next season should prove to be an interesting one, my Giants made a few trades, but we shall see, they still need to make sure they have power behind Mr. Bonds, giving the starting pitchers a little more confidence of not having to hold so many tight leads, there by resting the bullpen a little more.

CHeers
TJ
God was my copilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him...

LHMark

Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:40 pm

Hodges, many small-market teams, some triple-A teams, and some little league teams compete quite well against the Mets.