I recently had a fire at my parents house in their open fireplace and the fire started smoking badly. We got a chimney sweep in shortly after and he said we were lucky to have not had a major chimney fire as there was a lot of soot built up.
We reckon this was due to burning freshly felled wood (sap residue and all that) but were wondering also about burning wood that has previously been painted/treated - we have had a lot of this from timbers used in old buildings.
Does anyone out there have an open fire, and if so what wood do you/do you not burn? I have heard conifer is bad but other than that have been advised that any wood is good as long as it has been seasoned for at least a year.