zkjim

Tequila. The Best Drink Ever?

Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:23 pm

Am I the only person on this planet who fully realises the potential of this tipple?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

My cat is a total spaz

rockyracoon

RE: Tequila. The Best Drink Ever?

Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:02 pm

No, it makes me puke.

theCoz

Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:23 pm

Only in a genuine mexican margarita!

xjramper

Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:28 pm

1800...I will drink to that!

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

CactusA319

Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:53 pm

Best drink ever? I don't know. It's definitely in my Top 5 though!

aa61hvy

Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:58 pm

Tequilla and oj isn't half bad. I'm more partial to vodka (I was pounding back some SKYY vodka that CaptOveur gave me)
Go big or go home

QANTASforever

Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:08 pm

Tequila is eeevil - eeeeeeevil.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

zkjim

Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:27 pm

But it is the only drink that isn't a depressant?... I could be misinformed

And THAT makes it not evil, QFF, fella, it makes it goooooooooood!

Nuts
My cat is a total spaz

ZKSUJ

Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:31 pm

Woodstock....Nothing beats Bourboun and Cola

zkjim

Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:43 pm

ZKSUJ

You are a TRUE Kiwi!

I never even heard of the drink until I moved here and all my mates drink it. It's as rough as a bear's arse but then Guinness doesn't really exist down here does it? Insane
My cat is a total spaz

ZKSUJ

Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:46 pm

It does if you are willing to pay a whole load of money for an imported beer, even though it is top class.

zkjim

Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:53 pm

A good single malt Scotch will always have it over that American SO-CALLED whisk(e)y. Or ANY Irish, espicially Paddy.

But the Mexicans have it with.........TEQUILA!!!!
My cat is a total spaz

Thom@s

Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:41 pm

It's not bad, but there is better...  Smokin cool

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

whitehatter

Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:02 pm

Tequila? Bat piss made from mouldy cactus.

Now Absolut vodka or malt whisky....that's different! Or even a good brandy now and again....

I've even come across some French vodka of late. Expensive but extremely nice.

I haven't seen it for a long time but my tastebuds have orgasms just thinking about Smirnoff Dark Mars Bar vodka. It was served from the freezer neat or (at a push) over ice. It was in a bar in Liverpool and I was happily necking the stuff until I tried to stand up and my legs decided to go in the opposite direction to the rest of my body....
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

B747forlife

Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:42 am

Personally, I think tequila is the reason I got so damn sick last time I drank. Plus, unlike the rest of what I was drinking, I had to take a break after the tequila.

-Nick

ltbewr

Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:52 am

Tequila, in the view of one bar owner I knew, said it isn't a alcoholic beverage, it is a drug. That stuff, except for the top shelf product, is like LSD when consumed in large quanities. I would only recommend it in moderate use with Margaritas.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

ScarletHarlot

Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:59 am

Tequila is the alcohol I drink most often. A margarita, with Patron tequila...delicious! It's never gotten me sick, but then I don't drink that much of it. Why does tequila have this reputation of being a 'bad' liquor?
But that was when I ruled the world

BCAInfoSys

Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:43 am

Oh April, I'm so disappointed in you! Wasting a top-shelf tequila like Patron in a margarita? For shame.. leave that to cheaper tequilas! Patron should be savored and enjoyed!

Hmmm.. other favorites are Tradicional and Don Julio Blanco. I  Love tequila!

Steve
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

ScarletHarlot

Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:20 am

Steve, top shelf margaritas are never wasted when they are savoured, whatever form they are in! Besides, I can't handle many straight shots of tequila...and I outgrew that sort of thing years ago.  Smile

Cheaper tequilas...never!!  Smile

zkjim

Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:33 am

If you ever lucky enough to be on Cuba Street in Wellington, look out for the Tequila bar. All tequilas seem to be accounted for there and range in price from NZ $8 to $50 per shot! I thought I had died and gone to lush Heaven. (I nearly did too!  Nuts)
My cat is a total spaz

LegalEagle

Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:52 pm

Although I no longer drink.

I would have to say the Jack Daniels is the effing best!
We have clearance clarence roger Roger!

SFOMEX

Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:20 pm

I'm gonna hate me for this, but I have to be honest. Tequila sucks, period. Brandy and rum on the other hand are pure heaven. However, I'd never say no to a Margarita, which would be unpatriotic! Big thumbs up
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

aerobalance

Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:29 pm

Just even hearing the word T-e-q-u-i-l-a makes my body shake as I remember a one certain New Years Eve, I was actually begging for God to have mercy on me. Bad stuff.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

CactusA319

Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:15 am

Those who say its bad or have gotten sick off it either:

A) Don't have the stomach to endure large quantities of tequila.
B) Went on a bender and took a bunch of straight shots (tequila can be quite unforgiving in these instances).
C) Drank some cheap-ass tequila like Cuervo on said bender, which will kick your ass and make you swear off the stuff or...
D) All of the above.

aerobalance

Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:25 am

CactusA319,

It was 'B' and 'C'. Horrible, horrible night.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

wietse

Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:29 am

The one time I threw up because of drinking was because I was hitting the Reposado.. Bad choice.. I only take one or two on an evening now.

Wietse
Wietse de Graaf

wietse

Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:33 am

But to make things clear, I love Tequila.. It is better than Vodka or Whisky (except JW perhaps) but nothing beats a good beer. Heineken, Guinness or Corona will do.
Wietse de Graaf

SlamClick

Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:23 am

Tequila and me is a dangerous combination. Good tequila is really very tasty and therein lies the problem. I rarely drink anything but in my mis-spent youth I discovered ice cold tequila and tangerine juice. A short time later I made another discovery - the lawn directly under my face. I'd drink one of those again though.

Just about every nation on earth has a beloved local beverage which truly sucks.

Pisco - sorry Peru but it is horrid!
Cachasa - Shudder!
Pernod - No wonder that generation was lost.

And here in the US of A we have "white lightnin'" Gag-O-rama!

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

ScarletHarlot

Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:59 am

Did SlamClick actually just utter the words "Gag-O-rama!"?  Smile

The first time I tried a good tequila, one of my friends was in town and he insisted that I try a shot of Cuervo and a shot of Patron. I scoffed at the idea that the Patron would be that much better - until I tried it. What a difference!

The nastiest shot on the face of the earth is a Prairie Fire. Tequila and Tabasco. Never want to experience that again!

mika

Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:03 am

I'd say ice cold (and i do mean real cold!) Jägermeister all the way! Love it to bits. Other than that bacardi cola is always nice too.

prosa

Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:06 am

Mezcal is better than tequila. It has a strong earthy taste that's followed by a feeling of warmth, in some ways similar to a single-malt scotch. Plus, you have the worm at the bottom of the bottle!
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Marcus

Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:06 am

I recommend drinking only the ones that have CRT (Consejo Regulador del Tequila) and NOM (Norma Oficial Mexicana) written on the labels.
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

zkjim

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:53 pm

Marcus

Thanks for that. Now I know what tequilas to look for! They all look the same after a few.

If you can try Slivovice. I have been to Czech Republic quite often and I will never tire of that beautiful drink.

I REALLY should start going to AA!  Big grin
My cat is a total spaz

ZKSUJ

Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:55 pm

AA....Isn't that the Automotive Association  Big grin Big grin

FoxBravo

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:04 am

First of all, if you want to avoid the stereotypical "bad tequila experience," be sure to look for "100% Agave" on the label. The reason Cuervo Gold and other shitty "gold" tequilas cause such nasty hangovers is that they're only partly made from agave (the plant from which tequila and mezcal are made). The rest is from sugar or lord only knows what else, and it's that part that makes you sick.

Once you've narrowed the field to 100% agave tequilas, there are three main types: blanco (or silver), reposado and anejo. The difference is how long they have been aged, anejo being the longest. Blanco makes a great margarita, although some people also like sipping it. Reposado can go either way--sip it or mix it. But anejo should not be wasted in a mixed drink--it should be savored like a fine cognac.

If you do decide to sip a good tequila, try a chaser of "sangrita." There are many different recipes (you can find plenty with a Google search), but it's generally like a spicy bloody mary mix. It's better than the "lick salt, take shot, suck lime" ritual (although there's a time and a place for that too, don't get me wrong!).

Finally, a word about mezcal. Mezcal is actually a generic term for alcohol distilled from the agave plant. Tequila refers specifically to the mezcal made in the state of Jalisco (sort of like a French A.O.C.). What is sold as "mezcal" often comes from the state of Oaxaca, and it can be quite enjoyable too. It's less "polished" than tequila (my wife has likened it to "licking an old tire"), but I actually like the smokiness of it. Yes, some mezcal has a worm in the bottle (note that tequila NEVER does), but the better brands don't.

So, as with any type of alcohol, there's good stuff and bad stuff. Just as it's not fair to generalize about wine after tasting the stuff from a box or a jug, it's too bad that people get a bad impression from one rough night of Cuervo Gold in college. Unfortunately, this seems inevitable--unlike wine, where the good stuff is well known and widely available, most people just don't know any better when it comes to tequila. Luckily, good tequila is gradually becoming more popular, so there are now more and more restaurants and bars that stock the better quality brands. Give it a try!
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

Marcus

Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:08 am

Cuervo gold is so good.............I have never seen a Mexican drink it.
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

FoxBravo

Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:14 am

Cuervo gold is so good.............I have never seen a Mexican drink it.

LOL, well said!  Smile
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

EA CO AS

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:59 am

If you're ever in San Jose del Cabo, BCS there is a specialty shop right up the street from the Royal Solaris resort that specializes in high-end tequilas - and they'll let you sample as many of the dozens of bottles they have on display as you want!  Big thumbs up

Great little shop, but it's easy to blow around $200.00 there in no time.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

saxdiva

Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:14 am

There's a tequila around called "Lapis" that's worth drinking straight if you like that sort of thing. I'm not a huge Tequila drinker, but when I do I'll put Lapis into a carefully mixed Margarita. It's awesome.

It's been a while since I've had a sip of Jägermeister (I'm getting a bit old for this hardcore stuff), but I noticed that the bartenders at the Sunset Beach bar at SXM were mixing it with Red Bull. I would have tried one, but I was too afraid it would put me into cardiac arrest. Anyone ever had it?

-Leanne

pilottj

Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:37 am

If you have frequent visits to Mexico, or live there, a friend brought me some '100 Anos or somthing' Tequila. It was relatively cheap and very smooth compared to JC.

CHeers
TJ
God was my copilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him...

AC320

Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:42 am

Ah tequila, tastes like mommy's kisses.

Definitely ranks in my top 3. Nothing beats the essential bar of rum, vodka, tequila (inset appropriate mixers and liquers here), and Crown Royal. When you've had a rough day though, a shot of tequila will help set things right.
fuddle duddle

flight152

Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:02 pm

Not really a fan of Tequila, once again a bad experence. I perfer various types of rum and vodka (perferably Grey Goose). Nothing better then Grey Goose vodka.