ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Australians: What Do You Think Of The Croc Hunter?

Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:00 pm

Steve Irwin: just about everyone knows who he is by now...

Somehow, I get the impression that you might think of him as a walking-cliche of sorts-- am I right?

---that, and the whole dangle-my-newborn-in-front-of-a-15ft-crocodile stunt was a real work of genius  Big grin
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

N766UA

RE: Australians: What Do You Think Of The Croc Hunter?

Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:02 pm

Australians hate the guy. He's a tool in their eyes.
This Website Censors Me

777ER
Crew

Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:31 pm

Steve was very stupid taking his baby son into the croc feeding area, while performing a show. He deserved all the backlash that he received. A few nights ago on TV I saw him put his oldest children, his daughter's life in danger. He took his daughter on a croc hunt, and she helped catch the croc and tie it up. He deserves no symphothy what so ever if any of his children are attacked or even sadly killed cause of his stupidity.
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

ZKSUJ

Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:24 pm

He got into trouble for going to close to animals on his visit to Antarctica. He claims that the animals came to him and not the other way around. He went to court over it but I am unsure of the verdict.

QANTASforever

Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:48 pm

He was cleared of the charges. Unfortunately.

As the first Australian to comment here I gotta say that I absolutely HATE the man. No, actually the word hate does not do justice to the deep loathing I have for him - I hate him for the image he presents to the rest of the world and I hate him as a parent.
I hate that he projects this image of Australians as being these kakee wearing, slang talking, crocodile wearing simpletons.

My god, why can't he go to Iraq and get kidnapped or get a job as an Israeli busdriver or something - DIE STEVE DIE!!

The man is a total idiot - devoid of any endearing qualities. He is reckless and stupid and doesn't deserve a passport let alone a movie, a tv show and a business. He is an unashamed conservative who only missed out on getting Australian of the year from his friend John Howard's Australia day council because the world finally realised just how stupid he was in dangling his baby in front of a crocodile.

I think I speak for a lot of Australians when I say we do not wish to be associated with this idiot.

The fact that Steve rarely appears on TV in Australia is testament to his lack of popularity in this country. The man is a fossil - a relic of an era long dead. And the era was long dead for a reason.

I hope he rots.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

trekster

Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:06 pm

He does love his work.

Got a chance to see him at Australia zoo

Mad guy
Where does the time go???

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:54 am

What Steve getting attacked or his kids getting attacked

Either one

or get a job as an Israeli busdriver or something

Nice! lol

The fact that Steve rarely appears on TV in Australia

Interesting, didn't know that....

EZYAirbus

Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:00 am

I actually quite like the guy when I met him back in Feb 02 he was a real nice person to talk to!

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

RT514

Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:03 am

Australia Zoo at the Sunshine Coast is fabulous. Its readily apparent that he does love his work and is a true advocate for fauna of all kinds.

As for Steve on more a personal level, Aussies are rather indifferent to the man and he's rarely a topic of conversation. When he is, however, he is usually perceived as yet another goofy bloke using his notoriety to make more and more money.

It's fair to say that the land where Steve is more popular than anywhere else is the USA.

JetService

RE: Australians: What Do You Think Of The Croc Hun

Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:30 am

I got to chatting about this with an Australian gentleman I was doing business with here in the US. He was far more irritated with absurd stereotypes in the Crocodile Dundee movies than anything. He did say Steve I. wasn't thought of very fondly back home either. Seen more as a joke. I never had a chance to talk to him about the Wiggles.  Smile
"Shaddap you!"

zizou

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:17 am

As another Aussie to comment on this,

I say he is good fun. Sure he has an attitude that could annoy a few people, but you have to give him credit at how he has managed to make lots of $$$$ out of his love for the crocs.

I met him 2 years back at Sydney Airport and he was nothing but friendly and accomodating. Won't hear a bad word about him from me  Smile

BartiniMan

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:34 am

His wife must be just as big a dumbshit as him. She's a try hard of him. Talking with her fake accent that is neither American nor Australian, I think shes just putting on an act to kinda support Steve and his stupid behaviour. No way two people with similair stupid ways of talking, exagerating and emphasizing every word in a sentence, could meet each other. Must be a small world.

yukimizake

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:34 am

Qantasforever, I don't think most non-Aussies see the guy as being a typical Australian. The guy is strange no matter where he's from.
'Opfer müssen gebracht werden (Sacrifices must be made)' - Otto Lilienthal

dl021

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:35 am

I never met the dude, but he is either incredibly brave in the face of wild predators or incredibly stupid in the face of cameras.

He seems to be a supreme self marketer with a great talent for working with animals. I am sure his tombstone one day will say this:

"He loved crocs...The problem was they loved him too..."
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

777ER
Crew

Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:50 pm

In addition to reply 2. Today I read in Wellingtons paper under TV reviews, it did an article on Steve, What I didn't see a few nights ago on TV was that his daughter (i think she is about 5 years old), well she actually jumped on the croc......before it was caught.
Head Forum Moderator

Springbok747

Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:05 pm

Talking with her fake accent that is neither American nor Australian, I think shes just putting on an act to kinda support Steve and his stupid behaviour.

Hahaha...yeah. I saw her last year here in Adelaide, she was here promoting some wildlife cause along with her husband...she sounds so weird.

Have any of you guys seen the new "Quarantine Matters" Ads on TV? He does his usual crazy thing there also. And of course there is the Toyota commercial..
אני תומך בישראל

clickhappy

Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:10 pm

He cracks me up. Used to watch him on the Discovery Channel about 7-8 years ago, before he really blew up.

"Oh, this is the worlds most deadly snake. Here Terry, hold my shirt..."

He was funny in those Fed-Ex ads about 4 years ago. And he's making money doing something he loves, so more power to him.

QANTASforever

Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:57 pm

Springbok747 -

Have any of you guys seen the new "Quarantine Matters" Ads on TV?

OH you mean the one's that netted him over $3000 of taxpayers money a second? This guy must have sex with John Howard every single day.

QFF

OYRJA

Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:13 pm

I must admit thoug that it was very funny sunday TV once. But after a year or 2 it wasn't really funny anymore. It's like he started doing drugs or something. He sure got stranger and more nuts for every show that he produced.

Springbok747

Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:17 pm

OH you mean the one's that netted him over $3000 of taxpayers money a second? This guy must have sex with John Howard every single day.

LOL...QANTASFOREVER. Are you serious??! $3000 A SECOND???!!! Man, thats crazy, considering he is just a nutjob with an interest in crocs!
אני תומך בישראל

QANTASforever

Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:01 pm

Like - I could perhaps understand a government made tourist commerical for the United States - but a quarantine ad screened in Australia?? Why??

It was worked out that the amount he was paid divided by the length of the ad = over $3000 of your money per second.

It is completely disgusting.

QFF

MD11Engineer

Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:06 pm

Qantasforever,

What is your problem with wearing khaki? I´ve got several shirts in this colour and find it quite nice....

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

QANTASforever

Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:26 pm

MD11Engineer -

Khaki is fine - but do you wear it every single day? Do you appear on international television and act as an ambassador for your country and always wear khaki? Do you project an image overseas that all your fellow countrymen wear khaki every single day?

No - thus, Steve is a moron.

QFF

Springbok747

Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:39 pm

Steve is really a moron...

I think this picture says it all:

Thanks to him, many of my overseas friends think all Australians are like this  Yeah sure

Congratulations to Steve and all of the people of Australia for this achievement!

From http://www.uselessjunk.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=491

And we are not the only ones who dont like him:

http://www.theantiher0.com/croc.htm
אני תומך בישראל

ZKSUJ

Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:46 pm

Malb777-"He is a Fuckwit and its a shame he brags about being an Aussie"

Hahahaha, well you people from Oz reckon we claim all the famous Aussies as our own, well you guys can keep steve  Big grin

BNE

Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:25 pm

There are some many negative views of Steve Irwin from the Australians.

Is it because he has made some good money from it and he has a job he enjoys doing. Maybe the Australian Tall Poppy Syndrome is coming through, Australians will know what I mean.

Went to Australia Zoo beginning this year, hadn't realised how big it was.

He is probably appearing more goofy each time to keep his shows interesting. Its only recently that Steve Irwin has started to appear on TV commercials.

I think RT514 summed up the situation fairly well.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

QANTASforever

Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:53 pm

BNE - The reason why many Australians are a little more than "indifferent" toward Irwin is because he is exploiting us. He is exploiting the image of Australians and destroying any credibility we could have hoped to have had in the field of popular culture. We are a joke. I once heard someone call Australians "lovable dimwits" - he is perpetuating this image and it is wrong!!

He must be stopped - by force if necessary.

This has nothing to do with tall poppy syndrome - the man is a national disgrace and deserves to be brought down for the shame he has brought to us.

It absolutely kills me when I turn up to meetings or if I meet someone for the first time who is not an Australians and I am greeted with "G'day - hey croc hunter - yeah, criiiikey - throw another shrimp on the barbey." - this has happened to me a number of times and I am sick of it and hold Mr. Irwin responsible.

KYIPpilot

Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:59 pm

Keep in mind, when he was 9 years old, he was able to jump onto the back of a small croc in the wild and subdue it. Steve's father is just like him. That is how Steve is going to raise his kids, too.

I will always have respect for Steve, because about 3 years ago he did a 2 hour special on TV about some of the bloodiest battles in the Pacific during WWII. No animals or anything, just Steve. He has the utmost respect for WWII veterans, and what they went through. He did a great job.
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

slider

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:47 am

I can understand the animus coming from the Aussies who think he's a walking stereotype. Hell, I flinch everytime I hear a stupid Outback restaurant commercial and think that joint is horribly overrated.

But the one thing I will say for Irwin--regardless of his "shtick", I admire his passion. And ultimately, he's done a great deal for crocodile and wildlife conservation and rescue. That's admirable regardless of the package it may come in.

Speaking as a parent of two boys, I can tell you that it's a wildly entertaining show that cultivates a healthy interest in and respect for the outdoors, wildlife, and animal conservation.

Fortunately, we also have friends from Perth and Canberra so the boys know that all Aussies aren't like that!  Big grin

Russophile

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:59 am

Hell, I flinch everytime I hear a stupid Outback restaurant commercial and think that joint is horribly overrated.

I would flinch not because it's overrated, but rather because there isn't a single meal on there which you could call Australian. Try asking them for some beetroot on you hamburger, and see what response you get  Big grin

It absolutely kills me when I turn up to meetings or if I meet someone for the first time who is not an Australians and I am greeted with "G'day - hey croc hunter - yeah, criiiikey - throw another shrimp on the barbey." - this has happened to me a number of times and I am sick of it and hold Mr. Irwin responsible.

Croc hunter, I would be pissed about. But "G'day"? I think it's kinda neat that people around the world immediately associate that with us, and more people around the world are using it as a greeting in their own environment.

As to Steve Irwin -- he's a fraud -- he has been proven to be a fraud, and it is since that 'outing' that his popularity plummetted in the country, and rightly so.

777ER
Crew

Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:01 am

well you people from Oz reckon we claim all the famous Aussies as our own, well you guys can keep steve And the aussies also claim many famous kiwis as their own, I think the aussies are just jelious.
Head Forum Moderator

Lurch

Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:50 am

I bet your TAX MAN likes him though?

ClassicLover

Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:34 am

Some Australians will automatically dislike him because he is successful at what he does - it's an Australian thing that some of us do from time to time.

That said, I've never met anyone who talks like him... and as a born and bred Sydneysider, it's unlikely that I ever will unless I go to the country.

He is on cable TV here quite often, and I saw a This Is Your Life special on commercial television (which is more prevalent than cable here btw)... he seems like a really decent guy. They brought up his mothers death and he was all teary, I think that was hard for him.

The incident with his son - what you don't see are the pictures from the opposite angle - he's actually quite far away from the croc. It's the angle of the photo that makes it look like something "dangerous".

All in all, I don't mind him. He does a good job at what he does, loves what he does, makes money and gives a lot of it back to charities in order to protect wildlife and things like that, doesn't big note himself, and seems like a regular guy. I think he's kinda cool!

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

DeskPilot

Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:37 am

So he's different - big deal.

Do we (Aussies/Australians) all want to model ourselves on one personality type ? Maybe we can all be John Howard clones instead. No one person represents a country and it's population. To assume that Steve represents all Australians is a bit naive.

Regardless of his personality, he’s championing a cause. Give the man credit for staying true to this.

Russophile said

"..As to Steve Irwin -- he's a fraud -- he has been proven to be a fraud, and it is since that 'outing' that his popularity plummeted in the country, and rightly so..."

Umm, care to elaborate on this bit of slander ?
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

dl021

Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:43 am

Well, Outback restaurants came from Sarasotar, where the founder now lives and they were following a successful model led by McKerrow at Longhorns. They are definitely not Australian.

But I would like to see how Erwin has been proven a fraud. He has been hurt several times, and his efforts with animals would seem difficult to stage. I am not saying it is not true....I just want to see some evidence. I would be disappointed .....as I fully expect to see video of the guy one day being pulled from the stomach of a pissed off animal and do not want to miss it.  Big grin
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

QANTASforever

Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:44 am

Russophile -

I HATE "G'DAY" - I HAVE NEVER USED IT AND I NEVER WILL!!!!!!!!

Perhaps I would if it wasn't associated with morons like Irwin and Paul Hogan.

QFF

BOEING747-700

Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:46 am

Hes Fairdinkum mate, nah worries  Big grin. I do find his TV show rather interesting, I would love the opertunity to meet Steve Erwin. I have some questions I need to ask.

QANTASforever

Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:54 am

BOEING747-700 -

Not a bad idea there - meeting Steve Irwin. Hmmmmm - Although I probably wouldn't be asking him anything - I would just quietly open the gates to the crocodile pen.

OH yeah - that little intro - it makes you seem so smart. Aren't you just the most clever clever person.

You see - you took what I said and then you used that stereotype as a joke - absolutely genius. Oh you are clever and so very very witty you witty person. How does a person become so intelligent? You see - no one has ever done that before, used a stereotype as a joke - oh you are a comedic pioneer - you brave brave clever person you.

I cannot believe just how smart you are - you are so very very clever I wish I could be as clever as you are you clever clever boy.

QFF

Springbok747

Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:21 am

QANTASFOREVER,

LOL..HAHAHAAHAAAAAA...lots of clever clever stuff..hehe.

But seriously, Steve is just an overrated moron. There are so many people who deal with crocodiles and other dangerous critters (just come to Adelaide zoo to see what I'm talking about). All those other people just do their job..and its just as dangerous as what Steve does....but that idiot happens to be the "famous" one...thats all.

Since Steve is so famous, lots of people see his antics on TV..and YES, he does portray the image that ALL Australians speak like him (saying "blimey, G'day, fair dinkum"..etc etc). I don't like him at all. He is the very definition of the word "idiot".

Edited for a typo.

[Edited 2004-12-22 03:28:06]
אני תומך בישראל

DeskPilot

Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:37 am

Let's all be like Qantasforever. No colloquial language, strine, etc. No Australian-ess whatsoever, even in humour.

Springbok said

"..But seriously, Steve is just an overrated moron........but that idiot happens to be the "famous" one.."

So all people who work with crocs are morons, or is it just the famous ones ?

What a bunch of intolerant people ! I'm sure you must have annoying aspects of your personality, but no one's slagging you off in this forum.

mdsh00

Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:49 am

QANTASFOREVER,

You should probably show those people what real Australians are like. They will learn something. I am pretty surprised at your passionate hatred for him though. Come to think of it, there are handfuls of famous Americans out there which project a very inaccurate image of us around the world, but what can I do?
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Springbok747

Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:53 am

So all people who work with crocs are morons, or is it just the famous ones ?

No, I never said that...I just said Steve is a moron. I have a friend who works at the local zoo here, and I've seen what he does, and I have great respect for such people. They do their jobs...and no one talks about them. Steve on the other hand..he is an idiot. He doesn't deserve ALL that attention.

What a bunch of intolerant people ! I'm sure you must have annoying aspects of your personality, but no one's slagging you off in this forum.

Thats because we don't go on national TV portraying all Australians to be a bunch of croc hunters in Khaki.
אני תומך בישראל

pilottj

Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:56 am

I can see why Aussies dislike him, he and Paul Hogan, and Outback Steakhouse here presented a distorted image to the world and some ignorant Americans. Maybe not distorted, more like glorifying the country folk/lifestyle of Australia...only one group of people out of many. There are plenty of sophisticated A-nutters from Austraila who can prove that. It is just like how NASCAR glorifies the redneck culture here. If NASCAR were one of few US programs to be broadcast globally, people might think we all like BUD and have broken cars on our front lawns.

Hey at least Steve isn't Yahoo Serious....  Smile

CHeers
TJ
God was my copilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him...

mdsh00

Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:35 pm

I can see why Aussies dislike him, he and Paul Hogan, and Outback Steakhouse here presented a distorted image to the world and some ignorant Americans.

Also those commercials by Fosters in the late 90s weren't helping either (I still find them funny). Anyone remember the one where the guy hits another on the head with a boomerang to get him to change the TV channel? "Australian for remote control."
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

DeskPilot

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:05 pm

Springbok747 said:

"Thats [sic] because we don't go on national TV portraying all Australians to be a bunch of croc hunters in Khaki."

Where does he, Paul Hogan, or anyone do this ? None of these guys have every said "all Australians are ALL like me". They've represented one element of that's country society, as does the "Bud drinking, broken down cars on the front lawn" of NASCAR (news to me). Haven't seen anyone sling off at Dame Edna - is she implying that all Australian's are megastars housewives ?

Qantasforever is one element, Steve Irwin is one, etc. I don't say "g'day", but that doesn't mean others aren’t allow to use that word !

"..No, I never said that...I just said Steve is a moron.

Why is he a moron ? He may be loud, he may talk differently to you, but he's no moron because of this.

If you were an Australian Springbok747, I'd say you're suffering from "cultural cringe" like Qantasforever.

pilottj

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:48 pm

True Deskpilot,
none of those guys said they are like all Australians, however, it is usually the only element of Australian culture that is seen by the masses and therefore the first impression of your culture by many.

I think the corperate goons really knew how to sell the rugged 'outback' image here, because in a way, that culture really plays well with the 'macho male' stereotype image that this media is so fond of spewing.

Cheers
TJ
God was my copilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him...

diamond

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:49 pm

He has allowed himself to get fat.

Really fat.

Blank.

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:54 pm

He has allowed himself to get fat.

Interesting.

...that brings up another question, similar to Sabena332's SouthPark problem: how delayed are the CrocHunter episodes airing in the USA versus their actual filming?

Springbok747

Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:04 pm

If you were an Australian Springbok747, I'd say you're suffering from "cultural cringe" like Qantasforever.

Well, DeskPilot, I AM an Australian also. No, I'm not suffering from "cultural cringe", but I'm just complaining about the image of Australia this guy Steve portrays. He acts as though all Aussies are like him...thats the problem. You and I know that not everyone is like him, but try telling that to some of my American friends. They make fun of the way we use words here...that really pisses me off...and its all thanks to Mr Irwin.

אני תומך בישראל

OYRJA

Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:12 pm

Well, DeskPilot, I AM an Australian also. No, I'm not suffering from "cultural cringe", but I'm just complaining about the image of Australia this guy Steve portrays. He acts as though all Aussies are like him...thats the problem. You and I know that not everyone is like him, but try telling that to some of my American friends. They make fun of the way we use words here...that really pisses me off...and its all thanks to Mr Irwin.

Ummmm...... I have never met any person who thinks all Aussies are like Steve. That guy is a nutcase. And I know after meeting alot of Aussies they are not like that at all. They are normal human beings like the rest of us.  Smile