Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Springbok747

RE: Australians: What Do You Think Of The Croc Hunter?

Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:17 pm

Ummmm...... I have never met any person who thinks all Aussies are like Steve. That guy is a nutcase. And I know after meeting alot of Aussies they are not like that at all. They are normal human beings like the rest of us.

Thanks for that OYRJA! At least its good to know that you Europeans think we are also normal people here...hehe Big grin

QANTASforever

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:00 pm

DeskPilot - BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH YOU CLEVER BOY!

Cultural cringe huh? Cultural cringe? You think I suffer from this? You believe I am ashamed of Australia because I do not like Steve Irwin and his antics?

Riiiiiiiiiiiight. Do you work for A current affair or something? You seem to be drawing these overblown right-wing, patriotically-drenched conclusions here.

Oh to live a day in your shoes - what a wonderful world it must be. Thongs and zinc and cricket and singlets and utes - oh, my dear boy - I want to go on vacation to your house!

No doubt after ploghing the wheat fields you rode in your dusty ute and wrote this on the old "tele compeeewta machooooine":

Let's all be like Qantasforever. No colloquial language, strine, etc. No Australian-ess whatsoever, even in humour.

Oh mercy - you wanna talk about Australian humour? Have you ever seen an episode of "Rove Live"? Ever been to one of those smokey Melbourne "comedy" houses? I doubt very much that good Australian humour exists these days that doesn't require expletives or the words "bloody: silvertails/abbos/indonesians etc etc etc."

You should all be like me. I am what Australians should be - able to string a sentence together without the need to shorten a word and replace the last syllable with "ssy" (present, christmas, biscuit, football - you know what I mean).

This is the sort of "Australian-ess" you speak of. Am I correct? That an Australian is identified by his or her use of (vomit) strine, or colloquialisms?
Because I use colloquialisms, but not strine - so perhaps I should return my passport?

What do you say? You are the self-appointed patriotic judge in this thread, what do you suggest? Huh? HUH?

If you think that an Australian is defined by your narrow little opinion, then you are sadly wrong.

You are a despot, and I curse all who are part of this "No fun ploise, Oooohm Ozzie - ban everything, say g'day or you're a wog, meat n' mash, bloody sydney fag town" brigade!

Accept that I and all like me are a factor in the Australian nation and we are not going away.

I am so fcuking proud of my nation - you have absolutely no idea, you rotten tyrant. I have more faith and belief in this nation that it's Prime Minister and his supporters - Mr Irwin included.

You see - what you fail to recognise is that most "strine and colloquialisms" are actually British cockney imports - and not Australian at all.

Steve Irwin projects a false image of Australians to international audiences whether he realises it or not - and he must be stopped.

Mdsh00 - You want to know what an Australian is? Think of every single kind of personality, race, language, culture and creed on this planet and there you have it - the people who populate one of the most culturally diverse nations on the planet - where an overwhelming majority of people live in major cities.

Springbok747 - You have soooo made it to my respected list. I think we have done some good work here - showing what Australians are really made of - and that we can be passionate about more things than just wildlife.

QFF

mdsh00

RE: Australians: What Do You Think Of The Croc Hun

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:06 pm

Mdsh00 - You want to know what an Australian is? Think of every single kind of personality, race, language, culture and creed on this planet and there you have it - the people who populate one of the most culturally diverse nations on the planet - where an overwhelming majority of people live in major cities.

Yes I am aware of that. I was trying to draw an example that we Americans are stereotyped everyday by how foriegn media presents us. There are many examples of that. My point was that you can't go and hold one (or two) people criminally accountable. Intelligent people understand that one person does not represent a nation, which is why ignorant people need to be taught.

QANTASforever

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:19 pm

Well I would relish the opportunity to "teach" Steve Irwin a thing or two.

Americans are not stereotyped as much as we are - because there are so many internationally famous americans of all sorts who represent your country and highlight its diversity. When all we have is the Crocodile Hunter and mmmmayyybe Nicole Kidman - it doesn't really represent a broad view.

QFF

mdsh00

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:45 pm

mmmmayyybe Nicole Kidman - it doesn't really represent a broad view.

Nicole Kidman makes one fine example of a beautiful and talented Aussie!  Love

DeskPilot

Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:53 pm

Qantasforever, do you feel better after that rant ? Are you nuts on a little tight there son ?

No, I'm not right wing (I voted Latham) and I'm not part of a current affair (so nicely modeled on Frontline). I'm not into cricket or zinc cream, or all those things you put forward. You read me so wrong, but then you’re generalising there aren’t you.

However, I'm not going to rule what is a good Australian image and what's not. I agree with you that the Australian population is made up of lots of different influences – my son is five nationalities, and my circle of friends represents the UN !

You came out fighting from your corner and declared that Steve is a bad and false image - why ? He exists and he lives his life that way -why can't he show the rest of the world ? If people want to generalise that he represents ALL of Australia, that's their failing, not Steve. Don’t pick on him, Paul Hogan or anyone else. Hell, you’ve assumed too much about me already and got all that wrong !

Who decided you could piss on the parts of the Australian population that doesn’t meet your "standard" ? As I said before, I’ll say it again. You lack tolerance.

Back to you Qantasforever, and less ranting, more argument next time  Smile
And finally, Springbok747, nice to know you're an Australian too. God's chosen people we are. Now, tell me how Steve Irwin "acts" like he represents all of Australia ?

MD11Engineer

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:00 pm

Qantasforever,

Concerning colloquial language, back in secondary school I had an argument with a German language class teacher, which has probably caused me to fail my first leaving exams.
I´m a native Berliner, and besides Hochdeutsch, the German equivalent of BBC English, I can also speak my native dialect. Now Berlin dialect is a lanuage mostly spoken by working class people. It contains traces of the languages from many past immigrants nations, like Polish, Yiddish, Dutch and French. But this dialect was never popular with the "educated" and upper classes. In fact, they would sneer at people speaking it.
My teacher was one of them. She told us that she would tolerate Bavarian, Hamburgean, Hessian, Frankonian, Swabian and any other German dialect, but for her Berlin dialect was not a dialect, but a gutter language. As a result, in her class I only spoke my dialect, the version you would find in the industrial courtyards of the working class districts Wedding or Kreuzberg. When it came close to the final exams though, she suddenly was my examiner in a subject I wasn´t very good in. She let me fail by 1/3 of a point.

Steve might speak an exagerated Aussie slang for the foreign audiences, but don´t underestimate people speaking a regional dialect. It might just be that they are proud of the place they come from.
My father was a lecturer at Berlin´s Freie Universität (Department of Palaeontology and Geology, after he passed away, his colleagues even named a genus of early Jurrasic mammals after him), he usually spoke "proper German", but, if he was in the right mood, he would also speak Berlinish.

BTW, I´ve got an Australian supervisor at work, a very good man, but he also says occasionally "g´day"....

Jan

DeskPilot

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:04 pm

MD11Engineer, you're on my respect list for that egalitarian point.

[Edited 2004-12-22 10:05:52]

Springbok747

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:50 pm

Thanks for adding me to your respected list Qantasforever Big grin

God's chosen people we are.

Yes, that IS true. I love this country and its diverse people...hell look at me..I am South African, but also an Aussie, and I'm damn proud to represent both countries.

Now, tell me how Steve Irwin "acts" like he represents all of Australia ?

Have you seen the way he acts on TV lately? It is so disgusting....and he calls himself a "typical Aussie bloke". Thats what my friends saw...and in fact one of my American friends visited me last year..and the first thing he asked me was.."hey Australia is not so different from the States...I thought you guys all spoke like Steve, but now I see you don't." Now what does that say about the image of Australia he portrays?

OYRJA

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:56 pm

Have you seen the way he acts on TV lately? It is so disgusting....and he calls himself a "typical Aussie bloke". Thats what my friends saw...and in fact one of my American friends visited me last year..and the first thing he asked me was.."hey Australia is not so different from the States...I thought you guys all spoke like Steve, but now I see you don't." Now what does that say about the image of Australia he portrays?

This is just an example I want to show so dont start a bash.

You say that they way Steve Irwin acts on TV affects you and you think everyone around the world believes all aussies are like that.
That is not true.

Have you ever seen Bush on TV???
Just because he makes an ass of himself on TV doesn't amke everyone in the US look like him.

ZKSUJ

Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:56 pm

He is a very outgoing person and he is passionate about what he does. I don't think much of him or some of the things he does, but I am sure he only does what he knows how to do.
I find it unfortunate that he has many people stereotyping Ozzies as rugged and uncultured people, despite me being an NZer I can relate to you guys because half the world think NZ is part of Austtralia. And I do get 'steve Urwin .....blah blah' from other overseas people that I know.

But, in saying this we have to realise that many around the world love him, otherwise he wouldn't be famous at all.

Springbok747

Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:03 pm

Have you ever seen Bush on TV???
Just because he makes an ass of himself on TV doesn't amke everyone in the US look like him.

OYRJA, haha.. But remember, Bush is the President, and everyone knows he is a bit cranky...but we all know not all Americans are like him. Steve however, presents himself as a typical Australian...so people will think all Aussies are in fact, like him, rugged and speaking strine all the time.

DeskPilot

Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:07 pm

Springbok747, it confirms he portrays an image, but not all images of Australia. Your American friend saw some more images of Australia and got a fuller picture. If your friend drew his conclusions on only person, I think he would be the problem.

Do you assume all American’s are black Rappers who drive Humvees after watching MTV/Rage/Channel V file clips ? Are all American’s wealthy Hispanics like Jennifer Lopez ? All Poms are like Benny Hill ?

If non Australians don’t see the diversity that is Australian and base their perception on one or selected images, who’s at fault here ? Anyway, do you want to see Barry Humphreys wrestle a croc ? Just doesn’t seem to to excite somehow.

OYRJA

Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:08 pm

OYRJA, haha.. But remember, Bush is the President, and everyone knows he is a bit cranky...but we all know not all Americans are like him. Steve however, presents himself as a typical Australian...so people will think all Aussies are in fact, like him, rugged and speaking strine all the time

There is a big difference. Bush represents the USofA. Irwin does not represent Australia. You see the difference. But people outside the US doesn't see american people as stupid asses because of that. Well some arabs maybe and some other nutcases.

MD11Engineer

Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:17 pm

There is a German TV quiz moderator, Jürgen von der Lippe, who at first look appears to be very loutish and uneducated. If you look closer, you can actually see that this guy is highly intelligent. He is playing the part to meet the target audience.
And concerning Steve Irvin, he appeals to many people, who are fed up of sophisticated city culture, who with that they could go outdoors like him.

I think this guy, if you would meet him privately, he would surprise you as a highly intelligent and very friendly person, a person you could easily have a barbeque and a few beers together.
I also think that certain aspects of his show are exagerated (problem is I only get the German language dubbed version, and I don´t know how much BS is introduced through a bad translation from English into German), especially whenever they stress the dangers of certain animals. I also think that quite often provoke animals to aggressive reactions to show some action on TV.

Jan

Springbok747

Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:30 pm

Anyway, do you want to see Barry Humphreys wrestle a croc ? Just doesn’t seem to to excite somehow.

LOL..DeskPilot, HAHAHAHA...that would be a sight to watch  Big thumbs up

QANTASforever

Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:15 pm

DeskPilot, DeskPilot DeskPilot DeskPilot - Where have you been all my life?

Firstly, I do not appreciate personal vulgar references. So less vulgarity, more argument please. Big grin

Now - You think I am the one who misjudges people? Was it not you who started with the whole "if ya don't speak strine you aren't strine" thing?

I seem to remember that was you. So I come out fighting against this ridiculous argument - and all of a sudden I am the one who is judgmental. You can see my frustration.

While you may have voted for Mark Latham and not watch A Current Affair, you still put forward a standard under which all Australians will be judged - the way they speak. That, is about as right-wing as you can get. You see - in the Labor party, everyone is accepted for who they are. No person is less or more Australian than anyone else - I know this, I am an ALP member. And in that spirit, I'm either going to form an a.net faction and post against you - or take you point by blessed point. The latter seems so much more genteel.

You criticise me for generalising. I don't like "G'day" = cultural cringe. Oh no, you've never generalised at all! Have you stopped to consider the fact that while I don't find the term (and others like it) embarrasing - I actually see it as being pretty stupid sounding?

You say you aren't going to rule on what is a good and bad Australian image yet the kind of Australian I represent apparently is embarrassed by the nation they choose to associate themselves with?
I was not born in Australia - I was raised from the age of 4 in Australia and educated there - started a family there - and I am proud to call myself an Australian. I could choose to refer to myself as a national of my birth country - but I don't because I am proud of Australia.

I just want to change a few things.

You want to know why Steve is a bad and a false image? Because he is an ambassador for our country and has a responsibility to represent us well. We aren't like the United States. We don't have a myriad of famous people to represent us overseas - people of all different shapes and sizes. No! - We have this crocodile man and a couple of Hollywood stars - that is it!

He projects this image that he is an everyday Australian (yeack, should I say "Aussie"?) - I guarantee if you ask him if he is typical of Australians he will answer in the affirmative. I guarantee it.

He exploits the image of Australians to suit his own needs to the detriment of everyone else. His impact on popular culture world-wide is far reaching and Australia will for a long time be associated with Mr. Irwin. Because I know (and suspect you know too) that Australia is more than insane Queenslanders jumping on crocodiles - it frustrates me that he is perpetuating a false image of Australians. I don't like what he does with his children, I don't like the fact that he is a representative of this country - and I don't like that I am as an Australian - associated with him when I am overseas (especially in North America).

You say that I have assumed too much about you and got it all wrong - What? The ute - the wheat fields - the tele compeeewta machooooine - the cricket??? Don't tell me I was wrong??!! I seriously thought that is how you lived your life!!!!!!!!! Wow - so you mean, you don't live like that?? Wow, I was way off.  Insane

I don't care how you live your life - but when you suggest for a split second that I am anything less than unashamedly proud of my nation - I will not sit still and take it.

You say that I have a "standard" for certain parts of the population. Well - standards associated with common decency and law and order aside - I have standards for those who undertake to represent me and my country in any capacity. I expect them to be respectful, to reflect the sophisticated and broad nature of Australia, to do this nation justice in the media, to show Australia for what it is - not what people think it might be, and not to pander to stereotypes. I think that is more than reasonable. When you hire a lawyer to represent you - one expects certain things (lest you be judged unfavourably).

Apparently I lack tolerance - tolerance for morons like Irwin? Yes, I suppose I lack tolerance for him. But if you mean it in a broader sense than that - I expect a very clear definition of what you mean. I'm serious about that point.

Back to you Deskpilot -

QFF

DeskPilot

Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:47 pm

Qantasforever, I'm going to be brief because it's late and I'm tired. I've picked bits out of you long post to answer.

"..Was it not you who started with the whole "if ya don't speak strine you aren't strine" thing? .."

No, actually I didn't say that. My point was to acknowledge diversity. If you read my posts again, you will see that over and over again. I'm agreeing with you on that. However, I'm not offended by Steve Irwin or anyone who represents one image of Australia.

".. A Current Affair, you still put forward a standard under which all Australians will be judged - the way they speak.

No, I didn't do that. See point above.

"..Because I know (and suspect you know too) that Australia is more than insane Queenslanders jumping on crocodiles - it frustrates me that he is perpetuating a false image of Australians.

Not disagreeing with you, except on the insane bit. He rerpesents one image - not all. See post 63.

"..my country in any capacity. I expect them to be respectful, to reflect the sophisticated and broad nature of Australia, to do this nation justice in the media, to show Australia for what it is - not what people think it might be, and not to pander to stereotypes. I think that is more than reasonable..."

Steve Irwin is one aspect. He represents his beliefs and personalities. Fine. He doesn't reflect the broader nation. Who says he does ? Does anyone truely represent all parts, with the exception of the elected government ?

"..Apparently I lack tolerance - tolerance for morons like Irwin? Yes, I suppose I lack tolerance for him. But if you mean it in a broader sense than that - I expect a very clear definition of what you mean. I'm serious about that point.

You lack tolerance for him because he represents what you're not. You certainly lacked any tolerance for B747-700. You "jumped down his throat" and he was agreeing with you !

QANTASforever

Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:41 pm

I jumped down B747-700's throat? He was sooo asking for it. I stand by what I did there.

As for the speaking thing - Yes - you did pass judgment on me based on the fact that I refuse to use sloppy cockney-imported language. Don't try to deny it!

Steve Irwin is one aspect. He represents his beliefs and personalities. Fine. He doesn't reflect the broader nation. Who says he does ? Does anyone truely represent all parts, with the exception of the elected government ?

Coming from a Labor voter I am most surprised that you would even consider the incumbent government a reflection of the modern Australian nation. And as for - who expects Steve Irwin to reflect the broader nation? I do.

As for who reflects the entire country? No single person can occupy all races, cultures and ethnicities at the same time - but by following my expectations for famous Australians - I'd be more than satisfied.

Short post - must get some work done today.

QFF

BOEING747-700

Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:48 am

Qantaswhatever, get a life man, all you do is whine and bitch. I think its time to remove your self. And you are not even Australian, so dont even go there.

[Edited 2004-12-22 16:50:02]

DeskPilot

Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:24 am

Good morning Qantasforever. I appreciated your shorter last post. Thanks.

I jumped down B747-700's throat? He was sooo asking for it. I stand by what I did there.

I disagree. You didn't need to do that.

As for the speaking thing - Yes - you did pass judgment on me based on the fact that I refuse to use sloppy cockney-imported language. Don't try to deny it!

No, I didn't do that. I pointed out you don't appear to tolerate people who do speak like that. Hence the reference to tolerance

Coming from a Labor voter I am most surprised that you would even consider the incumbent government a reflection of the modern Australian nation.

The electorate spoke and that's how our system works. They are the government and they represent the majority of the people, but not everyone agrees with their policies  Sad . I'm still shocked about the result, as I truly feel it's time for a change of leadership. I hope this result does mean a change in Labor's leadership.

As for who reflects the entire country? No single person can occupy all races, cultures and ethnicities at the same time - but by following my expectations for famous Australians - I'd be more than satisfied.

Yes. I fully agree. If any non-Australian takes any one image (e.g. Steve, Hoges or any of Barry Humphrey’s characters) as a reflection of all Australians, it's their failing. As per what I posted in reply 64, I don't and, I'm sure you don't, draw your conclusions on Americans based on what you see on MTV, etc. ? See PilotJJ comments regarding NASCAR on post 42.

QANTASforever

Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:35 am

BOEING747-700 -

You jumped into a conversation about Steve Irwin and preceeded to use a tired stereotypical line as a 'joke' of somesorts.

You knew that people doing impressions of him when Australians are around really pisses me off - you did it anyway - and get angry when I rebuke you.
I'm still trying to work out why you should be even the slightest bit surprised.
I stand by what I did - I do not whine all the time, I have never been a British Subject.

I am however, a citizen of the Commonwealth of Australia - and thus am freely entitled to pass judgment on Steve Irwin.

I'm baffled as how you expected me to react to your first post.

- And no, I will not be removing myself. I know how much you enjoy our little chats.

QFF

pilottj

Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:07 am

Well one way to look at it, there are many intellegent people who can see through the stereotypes displayed by the likes of Steve or Fosters. And those who can't are the ignorant ones who swallow up that type of input. That being said it makes it easy to seperate who is worth the effort to interact with or ignore.

CHeers
TJ

BOEING747-700

Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:30 pm

You get pissed off, hahaha say it to my face pissed off, then we well see who is crying. Get real, people stereotype Canada, (which I am more the proud to be part of the GREATEST in the WORLD) by saying EH, BOOT, TREE, LUMBERJACK, I don't care, let them think what they want. I know my country is by far the greatest no mater how people make fun of us.

About My NAH WORRIES its ALL FAIRDINKUM MATE, that was just to put there to show how Mr Erwin talks. Nothing more nothing less. I never read your meaningless posts because 99% of the time you are just bitter because of the British, well got news for ya less then clever baby, THE BRITISH FOUNDED Australia, SO SUCK IT UP AND LIVE WITH IT. I am sick and tired of you and your bull Sh!t members like you are just downers and no one wants a party pooper.

"And no, I will not be removing myself. I know how much you enjoy our little chats"

I don't ever remember giving you the time of day up until now of wasting my time to talk to your low self.

BOEING747-700

Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:38 pm

"You knew that people doing impressions of him when Australians are around really pisses me off"

I do now, but you being pissed off doesnt scare me, I have seen what you look like and my god, NO THEAT THERE hahahahaha

Springbok747

Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:01 pm

I don't ever remember giving you the time of day up until now of wasting my time to talk to your low self.

Then why are you still wasting your time...talking to Qantasforever?!

I know my country is by far the greatest no mater how people make fun of us.

Huh?! Hahaha..tell me you're kidding!

I never read your meaningless posts....

Then how can you pass any judgement and argue, if you don't even read what he writes?!

I have seen what you look like and my god, NO THEAT THERE hahahahaha

Oh really...please forward me a photo of him..I also want to see what is so funny.

BOEING747-700

Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:07 pm

I dont remember ever talking to you, so mind your own and stay out of it.

Springbok747

Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:26 pm

I dont remember ever talking to you, so mind your own and stay out of it.

Why should I "stay out of it"? This is a free forum isn't it? Everyone is entitled to their opinions. And I'm also an Australian, and I don't like the way you are talking about it. Even I can say "My country is the greatest, let people make fun of the way we speak."...but I won't because I do get upset and pissed off when other people make fun of us.

THE BRITISH FOUNDED Australia, SO SUCK IT UP AND LIVE WITH IT.

Maybe, but Australia today is a diverse nation, with people from all over the world...not just people of British origin. And..yeah, we consider ourselves to be a separate, independent country...not an extension of England.

And...you talk so much about Australia...have you ever been here before? Just curious...

BOEING747-700

Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:36 pm

How am I talking bad about Australia? Please point that out??? I dont think I have said anything bad about Australia EVER on this forum do a search kid.

"Maybe, but Australia today is a diverse nation, with people from all over the world...not just people of British origin. And..yeah, we consider ourselves to be a separate, independent country...not an extension of England"

Do I dissigree with you there NO, NO I dont, I agree with you 100%

But please do show me where I talked bad about Australia, I think the Island Continent is a great country, its a place that is someplace that I wouldn't mind living in. I say Canada is the best because I am Canadian, Idont give a sh!t what you think or what you say or how you say it. I think in your eyes Australia is the best place on earth and If I were you maybe I would say that too. CANADA is my HOME and I dont care what anyone says about it....SO NO I AM NOT JOKING.

I am tried I think its bed time, we just got hit with a massive snow storm and I got stuck working in it. Feel free to MSN me on this one.

QANTASforever

Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:08 pm

I love it how me being pissed off = me wanting to physically fight you.
It says a lot about you as a person.

I commend your passion - however it is extremely misguided (and seems to impede your ability to adhere to the rules of grammar and spelling). Australians founded Australia - and it was originally colonised by what are now the indigenous people of Australia. The British were next in a long line of immigrants. And this I absolutely accept. Big grin

May I also point out at this point how fond I am of Canada. I have a lot of respect for the dominion - so much so that I would never want to offend it's citizens by doing lame impressions of Canadians by relying on tired stereotypes - no matter how willing you seem to employ their use.

You call me a bull sh!t member - I find this very interesting.
You see - I sarcastically rebuke you for what you write - you attack me for who I am. That garners no respect in my book - and it is a sign of someone who is unable to distinguish between heated discussion and personal attacks. It is not appreciated nor is such a thing allowed on this website.

I suggest you have a glass of water, lie down, and actually read your last three posts, BOEING747-700. You are rambling and incomprehensible.

I have no time for people who indulge in such egotistical activities.

QFF

Springbok747 - I am in awe of your approach to issues. You are so right in what you say, and I'm so glad that we've crossed paths in this forum.

QANTASforever

Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:02 pm

....And I have nothing further I wish to add to this discussion.

QFF

DeskPilot

Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:55 pm

Well, we all made a few friends out of that discussion !

Season's greetings to everyone.

Springbok747

Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:10 pm

Boeing747-700,

Glad to hear that we agree with each other. I also admire the way you argue, but try not to launch personal attacks on others...calling them "bullshit members".

Have a nice christmas..and hope that snow storm blows over!
Cheers!

Qantasforever..glad to have met you in this discussion Big grin

Qantasclub

Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:16 pm

Geeez, this thread has really gone to pieces since I last checked it out.

Here's my 2 cents worth:

I like Steve Irwin. He is passionate, amusing and he sounds like a nice guy. The reason he is not big in Australia is because he represents, as many people here have said, an old stereotype. Australians on the whole just don't behave like that anymore. The outback to many Australians is as foreign as it is to overseas guests. The truth is, Australia is an advanced, sophisticated, cosmopolitan and cultured nation with one of the highest rates of urbanisation in the Western world-ie up to 80% of Australians live in major cities and NOT in rural communities or the outback.
It never ceases to amaze me that many people overseas, particularly in the US still view Australia as the kind of crocodile dundee habitat with kangaroos in their backyard, etc....and this is where I think Steve Irwin fits in..he feeds that steroetype that Americans are fond of. Thats ok, because Americans (and others) are generally ignorant of many non-US places around the world.
It's all about national identity and PERCEIVED identity from overseas.
Bottom line is, he's a cool guy, but he doesn't represent Australia by a long shot.

Boeing747-700: Your rantings are childish and you need to cool down a bit. ( therefore I would have thought Canada is just the right place for you, so it's just as well you like it there)

Qantasclub.

DeskPilot

Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:20 pm

Nice summary Qantasclub.

MD11Engineer

Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:49 pm

What I see as a foreigner (who´s never been to Australia, but knows a few Australians here in Europe), is a conflict between traditional rural Australia as represented by Steve Irvin (though he probably exagerates quite a bit) and modern, urban Australia of multiracial immigration, offices, colleges, sophisticated art and hi-tech.
The majority of Australians living in the coastal cities nowadays doesn´t want to be seen as rural hill billies, like what Irwin and Paul Hogan represent, but I´ve heard on the other hand from people I met from e.g. rural Queensland, that such types still exist.
The audience abroad is interested in types like Irwin, because the urban, modern Australian would be just boring, after all he doesn´t live any different than typical urban American or European.
(BTW, it amuses me that e.g. many Americans see the typical German as somebody who wears Bavarian Lederhosen, a funny hat, drinks lots of beer and yodels, the stereotype of the Bavarian mountain dweller)
Jan

[Edited 2004-12-23 10:51:59]

Edit for typo

[Edited 2004-12-23 11:18:45]

DeskPilot

Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:07 pm

MD11Engineer said

"...(BTW, it amuses me that e.g. many Americans see the typical German as somebody who wears Bavarian Lederhosen, a funny hat, drinks lots of beer and yodels, the stereotype of the Bavarian mountain dweller) .."

And here I was thinking that was true  Smile

MD11Engineer/Jan, you summed it up well. Unfortunately, I don’t think Qantasforever, Springbok747 or myself have enough uniqueness to stand out from our urban equivalents in most western countries. Actually, on second thoughts, Qantasforever could feature on some ads selling the benefits of joining the Commonwealth.  Smile

QANTAS077

Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:28 pm

had this conversation with a mate of mine in LA last week, Americans love him for some reason, to be honest the guys is a liability to himself and his children, ok his intentions are good but he needs to be a more responsible parent than he has been in the past.

he was up for Australian of the Year in 2004, he lost in part to his own stupidity, personally i can't stand him or his stupidity.

777ER
Head Moderator

Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:04 pm

Springbok747, QANTASFOREVER and BOEING747-700

Bloody hell would you all grow up and stop acting like little five year olds

Qantasclub
Geeez, this thread has really gone to pieces since I last checked it out. 100% agree with you on that one

QANTASforever

Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:14 pm

777ER -

Just who exactly died and made you Emperor?

QFF - okay, NOW I'm done here.

gkirk

Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:34 pm

Steve Irwin is an Australian legend  Big grin

DeskPilot

Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:37 pm

QFF, you said you were done on post 80 !

BOEING747-700

Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:29 am

"I suggest you have a glass of water, lie down, and actually read your last three posts, BOEING747-700. You are rambling and incomprehensible."

Advice taken, I had a nice long sleep, last night was a bad night I had Two major Car accidents that I had to respond to and it doesn't help I agree.

QFF, I do admire your commitment and loyalty to Australia, I wont dispute it at all. I didn't mean to call you a Bull Shit member I forgot the comma (meant to say sick and tired of your bull Sh!t, members like you are downers blah blah etc...). I agree I am probably the worst speller in the world with Kaz Big grin ( I even wonder how I passed Collage) So I do apologize for that!! I just don't like someone going off like that when all I was doing was agreeing with you in the first place. I also feel Australia is one of the worlds best Countries. It is a very proud Nation and I do not let Steve Erwin cloud my judgment on it. I do find his show to be rather informative but he by no means educates me on Australians. Most Australians that I know are great people and would give you the shirt of their back, and that I must say is a great people. So QFF I don't want to keep this war going either, so have a Great Christmas and a safe and prosperous 2005.

Spingbok747, Thank you sir, yes the snow did end (finally) and it looks like its going to be a white Christmas, I hope you have a great one as well.

Deskpilot, thanks for your insight

[Edited 2004-12-23 16:29:30]

DeskPilot

Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:35 am

"last night was a bad night I had Two major Car accidents that I had to respond to..:

Boeing747-700, that's terrible. I truly respect those who work in the emergency services. Merry Xmas and have a safe time with your family. I hope the xmas period is quiet for both you and your colleagues.

Springbok747

Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:21 am

last night was a bad night I had Two major Car accidents that I had to respond to

Sorry to hear about that Boeing747-700. I really respect you guys (people who work emergency services)...hope you don't get called out a lot. Have a safe christmas and a good new year.