airxliban

Burj-Al-Arab

Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:09 pm

anyone been there?

i really want to go for spring break

thoughts, comments, opinions?

my life will not be complete until I experience it...

oh yeah and for those that do not know what i am talking about...

http://www.burj-al-arab.com
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

VonRichtofen

RE: Burj-Al-Arab

Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:35 pm

Why don't you ask AAplatinumflyer, his uncle stayed there before it was even built. He said it was "decent"

ConcordeBoy

Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:50 pm

Parents have.

According to them: was cool, loved the aquarium, fire-spouts, etc.

On the other hand: overrated, overpriced... practically nothing you couldn't find in LAS, but an experience nonetheless.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

MEA310

Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:52 pm

AirxLiban

Coming home to Lebanon is by far much worth it than going to some way overrated and luxurious hotel.It's just a waste of money & time IMO.

MEA310
M5 Fastest Sedan On Earth

Banco

Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:59 pm

Far too much bling.

Opulence needs to be understated if it isn't to be vulgar. The Burj is anything but understated. I thought the Ritz-Carlton up the road was much nicer.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Sabena332

Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:43 pm

My girlfriend and I had dinner in the Al Mahara restaurant a few weeks ago, the food and the service were excellent but it was ridiculous overpriced. The whole hotel is a masterpiece of architecture and interior design but the rate per night is as overpriced as the restaurants are. When I am in Dubai, I stick to the regular hotel chains like Sheraton or Hilton, they are very good and offer a luxurious stay for a good rate per night.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

AA777

Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:26 am

It is VERY pricey, for one... but if you've got the cash, why not stay for a couple of days? I hear it is absolutley an amazing experience. Plus, its in Dubai, which is really an awesome city. I've never stayed there, but again, I heard from relatives who have been there/ stayed there that its one of the best hotels in the M.E.

-AA777

Shamrock_747

Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:01 am

Although I haven't been to the Burj myself I've spoken about it to a number of colleagues who have stayed there. Most of them found it overly extravegent to the extent that it seems tacky. Jumeirah Beach Resort seems a better place to stay.

airxliban

Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:30 am

thanks for the responses

would you say that just visiting it in dubai is 2/3 of the experience in itself?

MEA310 if i were to go i would combine it with a stop in BEY

wishful thinking though about going anytime....i wonder if IATA cardholders get a signficant discount on the $1333 per night.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

AAplatnumflier

Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:33 am

My uncle didnt say there...he stayed at some place near the airport when he traveled there.....I think it was a sheraton...

Anyways a mutual friend of our family has stayed there...as a matter of fact I believe he just got back. He said it is an amazing experience...atleast until you look at your credit card bill. He also said that you feel underdressed as there are people there dressed in suit and tie when it is 100.

[Edited 2004-12-24 20:36:29]

Springbok747

Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:41 am

He also said that you feel underdressed as there are people there dressed in suit and tie when it is 100.

Who gives a @#*^? If you've paid to stay there, and when you are on a holiday..you can dress however you want to. Who cares if the other people are wearing suits?!

Anyways, this is similar to the other discussion about wearing jeans in First class. Just wear decent clothes.
אני תומך בישראל

LOT767-300ER

Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:14 pm

"Who gives a @#*^? If you've paid to stay there, and when you are on a holiday..you can dress however you want to. Who cares if the other people are wearing suits?! "

Exactly.

I would love to park half those people in a Motel 6 in Gary Ind or freakin Hammond, would set them straight.

TUNisia

Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:33 pm

Honestly, there are many other beautiful destinations that you could visit. The Red Sea (Egypt) comes to mind... What about Jordan, Seychelles, or the Maldives?
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

Luxair

Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:22 pm

We stayed there in jan 2003 for a few days and it was breathtaking! As a frequent UAE visitor I have to agree that there are much better restaurants and health clubs around but nevertheless the joker of that hotel is the architecture and of course the luxury of the suites! Our suite was located on the upper floors so the view out of was unbelievable nice.
Well, If you have the opportunity to go than just do it you will not regret it  Wink/being sarcastic

iakobos

Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:39 pm

The cost of one dinner (for 2) + night + breakfast is enough to feed one child during 4.5 years. Good appetite !

mdsh00

Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:11 am

I have been in the lobby there and I would have to say that the only thing truly impressive in there was the vaulted ceiling. Though, Luxor in LAS has that too. The main lobby was small and very tackily colored (oranges and reds). I found the nearby Emirates Towers Hotel much more elegant.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

canuckpaxguy

Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:46 am

You can't walk in to the hotel just to check it out anymore. You have to pay to get in unless you already have a room registered or a reservation at one of the restaurants. There were too many ne'erdowells from the Ritz roaming around the property I suppose.

G

bmi

Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:23 am

hey
ive stayed at the burj and although its overpriced, the experience was really really nice. i would def stay there again and its an amazing peice of art.

mark

QANTAS077

Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:21 am

it's so tacky that you have to pay $100 just to look around the place!  Big grin wouldn't waste my money, and if your asking how much a night then chances are you shouldn't be staying there!  Big grin

fbgdavidson

Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:08 pm

I know a fair few people who have been there. My father has stayed there about half a dozen times while on business and says that while it is the most opulent hotel he has ever been too it is the most over the top.....like many Arabian extravagances.

He has been moved up to the Royal suite once and said that was a real one off!

For Spring Break though....perhaps a little OTT

"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

xpat

Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:22 pm

Okay, so we've described the physical site. What about service? Is it compatible with all the opulence and flash?

[Edited 2005-01-05 14:22:48]

[Edited 2005-01-05 14:23:04]
The only thing we have to fear is the sky falling on our heads. -Asterix

fraspotter

Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:15 am

For right now the Burg al Arab is the only 7 star hotel in the world (another one designed like a mosque is being built in Abu Dhabi). When i was in Dubai in April, we stoped by the hotel and the lowest price per night was somewhere in the thousands of dollars. If you're George W. or Bill Gates, than it is right in your price range. If you are someone of high importance like a King or a diplomat, than sometimes they send a helicopter to the airport to pick you up (there is a helipad on the roof). Anyone else gets a Rolls Royce service to/from DXB. Quite nice i heard. Their was a motercade of maybe 5-6 of the things driving to the hotel when we stopped to take pics.
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

na

Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:12 am

"When I was in Dubai in April, we stoped by the hotel and the lowest price per night was somewhere in the thousands of dollars"

There are package deals where you stay they there 2 nights and then a week in a more normal hotel, for less than 2000 euros incl. flight. Try that in one of the many 1st class hotels in NYC or London.

Otherwise I think this hotel is the epitome of nouveau riches. Tacky in the most perfect way, but fantastic looking from the outside. A friend of my wife stayed there, loved it. He´s African, and loves golden rolex watches, too. He´s not my style-guide, thats for sure.