ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Reggie White, Dead At 43

Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:37 am

Seems the good lord was finally ready for 'im... died of a massive coronary this morning.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,142580,00.html

Dude was annoying as hell; but he stood up for what he believed in no matter what who said, and didn't hurt anyone in the process...

...so RIP Reggie, I'm sure you'll be missed
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

CPH-R

RE: Reggie White, Dead At 43

Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:40 am

and didn't hurt anyone in the process...

Except for the millions of gays & lesbians who he said were:
Liars, Cheaters, hurting children, killing americans, backstabbers, malicious people, a sodomite community, responsible for STD's, the biggest sinners, having problems, hurting the US of A, wrong in wanting rights.

Insane

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:00 am

Yeah. I can see your point...

....guess growing up gay & Southern Baptist in the DeepSouth (i.e., hearing that sorta stuff about gays 24/7/365); I've become so immune to being blamed for every problem on Earth that I don't even notice it anymore  Sad

S12PPL

Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:06 am

Guess he didn't pray hard enough. I didn't respect him very much. God didn't either I guess.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:37 am

Guess he didn't pray hard enough. I didn't respect him very much. God didn't either I guess.

Wow, what kind of logic is that?

Anyway, Reggie is a much beloved Packer and im sure we'll be hearing about this much in the upcoming week here in Packer nation. Dealing with his ministry, when his TN church burned down sometime back in the 90's, there was an overwhelming outpouring of donations and support for a new church- a few years later we learned the money didn't go to its promised use. None the less, RIP Reggie.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

aa61hvy

Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:05 am

He was a good person with strong morals, you can't fault him for that.

RIP Reg.
Go big or go home

captaingomes

Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:10 am

"when his TN church burned down sometime back in the 90's, there was an overwhelming outpouring of donations and support for a new church- a few years later we learned the money didn't go to its promised use"

and ...

"He was a good person with strong morals, you can't fault him for that"

Interesting contradiction there. I wonder what Aa61hvy considers "strong morals" in a person?
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

aa61hvy

Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:15 am

I didn't say I agreed with HIS morals, but he obviously had something he believed in and stood firm with.
Go big or go home

777236ER

Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:19 am

So did Hitler.
Your bone's got a little machine

captaingomes

Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:19 am

That's called being stubborn, which isn't a good quality. Oh well.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

aa61hvy

Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:20 am

Both valid points, gentlemen.
Go big or go home

captaingomes

Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:24 am

Nice to see you're not as stubborn as Reggie.  Big grin

Stretch 8

Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:52 pm

This man stood up for what he believed in. He was ordained a minister at age 17. His comments against gays has been widely reported, of course. But he spoke out against all sin. He was a good man, and a man of god. May he rest in peace.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

captaingomes

Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:24 am

Stretch 8, I don't know much about him, but I was intrigued by the comments suggesting that money donated to rebuild the church was not used for that purpose. If he was so good and a man of God, do you have an explanation for this? I just want to learn more about the situation, that's all.

I just find some religious leaders are extremely hypocritical, and from the little that I know, it seems Reggie was just another one of those.

Cheers!

CactusA319

Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:42 am

Anyone remeber the speech he made a few years ago, where he attempted to speak about racial unity by using every racial/ethnic sterotype possible as examples? That speech killed his career prospects as a TV analyst.

Regardless, RIP Reggie.

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:58 am

where he attempted to speak about racial unity by using every racial/ethnic sterotype possible as examples?

Yup. Sad thing was, I think he truly believed in it all.

slider

Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:05 am

Reggie White is one of the all-time greatest defensive players in NFL history. He was one of the most critical additions to the Packers and along with Wolf, Harlan, Favre and Holmgren quite literally resurrected the franchise.

His heart was even bigger than his on-field play. Reggie cared for all people, of all stripes, and he later admitted his speech didn't come across the way he wanted it to. Big deal-- so he's not an orator. And some of you are going to rake him over the coals for it. And CPH grossly mischaracterizes Reggie in that he was always the first to condemn the sin, NOT the sinner. If you can quote otherwise, go ahead. Until then, don't slander the dead.

And the money that people gave to rebuild the churches was bilked by a crooked "reverend" who was later convicted of several felonies. Reggie thought it was legit. Again, his heart in action.

Reggie White's signing in Green Bay is inarguably the greatest free agent signing in NFL history as well. I'll miss him a great deal....the Packers announced that they are going to retire his number 92 entirely, an honor that in the hallowed history of the Packers includes only 4 players.

AAplatnumflier

Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:30 am

You guys can think what you want but I think that it is really sad and it is a loss to the NFL. It was a man who stood up for what he believed in...thats it....

dvk

Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:34 am

It's not slander if it's true. White vilified gays on multiple occasions, not just one time. His own wife blamed his inability to get a job as a TV sports analyst on the "sodomite" community. In the wake of the adulation the press is giving him, it's fair for those who have been hurt by his actions to speak up.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:47 am

It was a man who stood up for what he believed in...thats it....

That alone doesn't make it a good thing at all.... remember, so did Hitler/Stalin/Mao

dl021

Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:41 am

I think that to compare Reggie White to Hitler is a completely uncalled for insult thrown by people who are uniformed and have perhaps done a one page google search on the man.

White walked the walk, and whatever his feelings towards homosexuals, and his use of racial stereotypes, he never harmed anyone, and did a tremendous amount of good. His intentions were good, and most of his actions followed this. His measure can be taken in his dominance on the football field, and by his actions since then. If someone can name something he did that harmed others and show how it outweighed the good he did, then call him whatever you want. Barring that, give it a rest and leave the guy to rest in peace.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

dvk

Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:47 pm

With all due respect, DL021, White's words were very harmful, and added celebrity fuel to a fire of bigotry against gays that is still far too prevalent in sports and society in general. However he tried to justify himself, his words were a clear expression of not only disapproval, but malice as well. Does it negate the good he did? No, but it tempers the rush to canonization that he's being given by his fans and the media. May he rest in peace, but not with a whitewash of his actions while alive.

dl021

Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:53 pm

I agree with you that his life should not be whitewashed, but there seems to be a gleeful rush by some to damn any recently deceased person that they feel acted against them in any way.

White also later openly regretted his words causing hurt. I do not know if he recanted as openly but he did not say anything similar in public again.

L-188

Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:56 pm

Sorry but the White/Hitler comparison was in very poor taste.

I don't recall Hitler only making 1 speech.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

dl021

Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:04 pm

AS we know there are those on these threads who react hysterically and use the Nazi/Hitler accusation easily and often. They obviously do not really understand the difference between reality and hysteria.

Falcon84

Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:09 pm

The guy made one statement that wasn't very bright, and some idiots on here lable him in the same group as Hitler?

He lived a good, decent life; he worked tirelessly with inner city youth. He was, for the most part, a very good representative of his teams, his family, and his faith in God.

The rest of you coming out with such hateful invective against him are really shameless. Look at your own life first, before casting that stone.
Work Right, Fly Hard

S12PPL

Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:25 pm

He was a biggot. Plain and simple. He loved to chime on about how good he was, and how in touch with the lord he was.

I will be interested to see what the autopsy results say. Perhaps something about steriods? Big thumbs up  Laugh out loud  Smokin cool

Falcon84

Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:38 pm

He certainly wasn't a bigot, if you heard about the community work he did. That's just sour grapes, sounds like, from someone who didn't have the talent or fame he did.
Work Right, Fly Hard

S12PPL

Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:19 pm

LOL!!

Do some research chief.

dl021

Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:21 pm

Beyond your extensive one page google search, can you tell us where to find this information?

Oh, and the cause seems to have been a lung ailment according to the latest reports.

Oh, and research will tell you that bigot only has one g...

Boeing4ever

Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:22 pm

Maybe you should do some research S12...seems like you're only good at shooting your mouth off and getting yourself into hot water. You'll note that Reggie White was diagnosed with respiratory ailments some time ago...you obviously didn't know that what with your little steroids remark. His death most likely had something to do with that.

Amazing how you can cheer on someone's death...rather sick.

While I don't share his views on gays...I hope he rests in peace.

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

gigneil

Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:24 pm

He was a good man, and a man of god.

"A man of god" doesn't judge his fellow man.

He was an evil man, and will burn in hell for all eternity under "christian law".

N

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:44 pm

He certainly wasn't a bigot, if you heard about the community work he did

How does community work negate his clear and blatant bigotry, poorly-concealed under the veil of religion?

F9Widebody

Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:20 pm

He was an evil man, and will burn in hell for all eternity under "christian law".

Gigneil, this is the second time recently I have heard you say that someone will "burn in hell" for committing a sin. This time you say that this is according to "Christian Law." How so?
YES URLS in signature!!!

PHLBOS

Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:04 am

I first heard the news about Reggie's death on the radio while riding along the Mass Pike (I-90) to my brother's house in Sturbridge.

My memories of him were the time he spoke at the 1992 Billy Graham Crusade at the now-gone Veteran's Stadium in Philly. At that time, he had just recently received the news that Eagles' teammate Jerome Brown (#99) was killed in a car accident. Needless to say, he was so shaken by his death, that he cut short his speech.

Another time, back in '93, I saw him speak at a World Impact outreach dinner in Chester, PA.

It looks like the Lord called Reggie home sooner than any of us would've assumed or guessed.

Please keep Reggie's family members in your prayers.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Falcon84

Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:15 am

What a bunch of mean-spirited, closed-minded people some of you are.

He certainly won't "burn in hell" for one unfortunate remark. God isn't that vindictive, although some of you seem to be.
Work Right, Fly Hard

NUAir

Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:28 am

As was said before. Regardless of his views he was a great football player and if you are looking to football players for guidance you might want to have yourself checked.

As we all know the real reason for his heart failure was the result of watching the 12 year old girls that Green Bay is now using as defensive linemen barely escape with a victory against Minnesota, although the heart problems probably were worsened when he watched the Jacksonville game two weeks ago.

At least god is looking out for him and will save him from watching the Pack in this years post season.

I would have thought Gilbert Brown would have gone long before Reggie. It also surprises me that any defensive or offensive linemen can make it past the age of 40, the heart just wasnt created for that job.
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

S12PPL

Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:38 am

ONE unfortunate remark?? Give me a break.

I can't stand born again Christians.

Usairwys757

Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:48 am

You people sicken me, he was a great person and great football player. He will be missed.
Inactive.....

Boeing4ever

Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:01 am

ONE unfortunate remark?? Give me a break.

I can't stand born again Christians

You can't stand Republicans, you can't stand "Born-again Christians"...you can't stand anyone who isn't a liberal democrat. No surprise you have your head that far up your @ss.

Whatever Reggie White's comments were, you yourself are no different as you've proven you are only willing to berate one side...and you don't even come in with your facts straight.

Let's hope someone doesn't cheer for the death of yourself or your loved ones. You've proven yourself to be a "teenage arm chair politician"...one who comes in with something to prove, but always puts his foot in his mouth.

As said, whatever his comments, may Reggie White rest in peace.

slider

Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:09 am

He lived a good, decent life; he worked tirelessly with inner city youth. He was, for the most part, a very good representative of his teams, his family, and his faith in God.

The rest of you coming out with such hateful invective against him are really shameless. Look at your own life first, before casting that stone.

Huah Falcon....ditto.

It cracks me up that those of who who preach tolerance are the most intolerant among those who post here. Gigneil for example, wants Reggie to "burn in hell" for simply stating what is a Biblical theme that homosexuality is wrong. So what?

As I said, he hated the sin, not the sinner. If you want to run with a few quotes and twist it to fit your perverse reality, go for it. But the reality is that Reggie White did more to help his community and fellow man in the few short years he had here than most of you will come CLOSE to sniffing in your entire lives.

Reggie ministered to the homeless, to drug addicts, and yes, gasp, to gays. He served people of all walks of life, under all circumstances and without condition or pretense. He visited hospitals to pray with sick kids, nursing homes, and helped other NFL players and their families in need.

If that's not pure living, I don't know what is. Making the absolute best of one's God-given ability, becoming the best in his profession, and using his celebrity not for personal fame, but to serve others and preach his beliefs.

And you want to crucify him for a few misplaced comments that he later even admitted were inappropriate.

Wow. Pot, meet the kettle.

L-188

Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:44 am

It cracks me up that those of who who preach tolerance are the most intolerant among those who post here. Gigneil for example, wants Reggie to "burn in hell" for simply stating what is a Biblical theme that homosexuality is wrong. So what?

What to know what the litmus test on A-net is for telling if some comment is way way out there. Getting me and Falcon agreeing that it is.

And thus we stumble onto one of the great ironies of these 'rights' groups. They have to preech hate to get their views in the public spotlight.

Remember Reggie, for his play, his work for god, his work with kids. Not for some sort of overpolitized comments that where made much more of then what they are.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

S12PPL

Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:24 am

Yeah...I just hate Republicans and born agains cuz I can...That's a way to generalize something.

I just get sick of born again's telling everyone that they have to accept Jesus as they're lord and savior. I don't, and I am offended that I am told that I will burn in hell for NOT accepting Jesus that way. I'm Jewish, so was Jesus. I can't help it if the Bible was written hundreds of years after events supposidly took place, by people who's judgement was clouded by they're desire to have everyone believe in a God THEY created. I can't take anyone seriously that writes a book hundreds of years later, saying that's just how it has to be. Sorry. And born agains run around telling everyone God saves, God does this, and God does that. My response....

Ok Mr. White....So god is silent on the Holocaust....Yet he wants YOU to win football games....I got ya. Thanks for clearing that up. Same goes for you, Mr. Shilling. I just KNOW God wanted you to pitch well tonight, while thousands of people are murdered each year, terrorists bomb cities, and people, and hunger ravages the world. Thanks for clearing that up. He also want you to be greedy and sign that huge contract?? Nothing pisses me off more that athletes making millions of dollars every year, and whining about how much money they are worth. Half those guys only take part in the team minimum for community service. If professional sports leagues didn't have minimums on community service, I doubt half the athletes would participate. And, the few that do, barely make it over they're minimum. There are the few great guys out there that do donate thousands of dollars...And there are the even mor elite few that have started they're own charity organizations. I praise them, and thank them for they're work. But, there are so few of them it makes me sick. Don't you dare come onto TV and tell us how much money your worth. No human being is worth 20 million dollars. None. Nothing you can ever say will tell me that any athelete is worth 100 million+. Reggie White is no different. This is a man that spent most of his career being a bigot. Only after he "found God", did he clean up his public image. But even then, it was barely. You all say I am un-armed here, but I would wage a bet that most of you defending him are also un armed in this as well. You can say "Ohh! He did so much good!" Tell me...Were you there? Did you witness it? His flamboyant comments made on TV and radio speak for themselves.

As for his cause of death....Steriods can cause every symptom he suffered from as his health deteriorated. Don't even try to say they don't. Steriods have VERY long term health risks. They can, and DO cause cardiac problems. I would not be suprised if those findings were covered up, all be it temporarily.

TWFirst

Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:30 am

He may have helped people, but he also hurt people as well. Like all of us, he was no saint and I don't believe he should be held up as a hero because he "stood up for what he believed in" and denigrated an entire class of people in the name of "god". If an NFL player did the same thing against African-Americans, can you imagine the repercussions? Unfortunately, homosexual people are the last minority in the U.S. who are still allowed to be publicly hated and discriminated against... in the name of religion.

FWIW, I also believe he was probably on the DL...thus his outspoken venom.. and I don't mean the "disabled list". All too typical.

An unexamined life isn't worth living.

gigneil

Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:34 am

It cracks me up that those of who who preach tolerance are the most intolerant among those who post here.

He was an evil, spiteful, hateful man, and I have no tolerance for any of those things.

Nobody should.

N

Boeing4ever

Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:02 am

Yeah...I just hate Republicans and born agains cuz I can...That's a way to generalize something.

You're the one who made generalizations about "born-again Christians"...not me.

I just get sick of born again's telling everyone that they have to accept Jesus as they're lord and savior. I don't, and I am offended that I am told that I will burn in hell for NOT accepting Jesus that way. I'm Jewish, so was Jesus. I can't help it if the Bible was written hundreds of years after events supposidly took place, by people who's judgement was clouded by they're desire to have everyone believe in a God THEY created. I can't take anyone seriously that writes a book hundreds of years later, saying that's just how it has to be. Sorry. And born agains run around telling everyone God saves, God does this, and God does that. My response....

Well more generalizations, and I agree with a lot of that, except for the crap about the Bible you wrote there. I guess I wouldn't be allowed to publish a book on the Civil War now since it's a think of the past now.  Yeah sure

As for his cause of death....Steriods can cause every symptom he suffered from as his health deteriorated. Don't even try to say they don't. Steriods have VERY long term health risks. They can, and DO cause cardiac problems. I would not be suprised if those findings were covered up, all be it temporarily.

And now you're squirming! You have NO HARD EVIDENCE on here that he did steroids other than he was an athlete...and THAT is MORE generalizing on your part. Boy, you'll learn fast and quick that when you start BS here on A.net, you need to come in with some facts...otherwise you get torpedoed and tossed aside quickly. I hate to break it to you, but there are still users on this site who can sniff out BS and BS-users.

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:20 am

He certainly won't "burn in hell" for one unfortunate remark. God isn't that vindictive, although some of you seem to be

...his own message disagrees with you on that.

No human being is worth 20 million dollars. None.

Not only is that a fiscal falsehood, but most would philosophically disagree as well  Laugh out loud

In keeping with TWfirst's comments:

If David Duke were to expire this very day; would you people offer him the same laud? What about the late Billy Pierce, when he died?

...both have indeed offered direct assistance to thousands of the underprivileged, neglected, etc. So what if they preached a little hatred/condemnation in the name of religion-- they never physically harmed anyone, right?

What say you to them?

F9Widebody

Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:35 am

...his own message disagrees with you on that.

I think I know the bible fairly well, and I have never heard this before, unless it was the old testament, much of which is not relevant anymore. Where does it say this?

Regards

[Edited 2004-12-28 23:40:29]
YES URLS in signature!!!

dvk

Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:49 am

If the Old Testament is no longer applicable, then most of the biblical argument against homosexuality crumbles, other than a few of the tirades of St. Paul. Most of the content of Paul's proclamations is open to interpretation, and is as obsolete today as his pro-slavery and misogynist teachings. Funny how those who hide behind the Bible, including Reggie White, ignore(d) that contradiction.

F9Widebody

Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:27 am

What I am saying is that you can't consider Old Testament punishments applicable today because currently, Christians believe that Christ died to save their sins, an event that had not occured when the Old Testament was written. That's what I meant with regard to the "no longer relevant" comment.

[Edited 2004-12-29 00:31:22]
YES URLS in signature!!!