HAWK21M
Topic Author

India Says Will Set Up Tsunami Warning System

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:36 pm

http://in.news.yahoo.com/041229/137/2iq9y.html
Thats good news,Hope that would eliminate another future disaster.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Corpsnerd09

RE: India Says Will Set Up Tsunami Warning System

Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:21 pm

I'm surprised they didn't have one before!
If you really want to do it, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll make excuses.

jasepl

Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:31 pm

Whilst it's certainly something that needs to be done, I'm not sure how much good it will do.

Remember that tsunamis simply don't occur in the Indian Ocean. Until now. Chances are we won't see another one in our lifetimes.

Detection and warning systems for all other kinds of potential dangers, including storms, sea level changes, cyclones etc have been in place for a long time and have been quite effective.

RayChuang

Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:52 pm

India should have set up a system of automated buoys to monitor tidal action in the Bay of Bengal many years ago.

Besides the rare threat of earthquake-generated tsunamis, the buoys would be useful in monitoring the weather in the Bay of Bengal, which has some wicked weather during the monsoon season (cyclones can be frequent threats in this area).

Alessandro

Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:03 am

Jasepl, one bad earthquake on Ross Island in the Andamans in june 1941 could
have caused a tsunami.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

iakobos

Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:30 am

Detection (seismographs & buoys), automatic reporting (buoys) and monitoring (satellites, ships at sea, geophysic centers) systems do exist.

What clearly does not exist is an on-line global warning network, allowing the recordings of a potentially catastrophic event (natural or man-made) to be spread where needed (top national authorities), and from thereon distributed to regions and communities, either through the military, the police, the civil defence, the local red cross or any combination thereof.

I think that the NOAA in Honolulu did underestimate the possible effects of this quake, saying "we could not reach any of the contacts in our lists" means (IMHO) they were not correctly gauging the consequences.
Had they done so, I am pretty sure they could have raised concern (within minutes) directly in Washington, which in turn has direct connections to every top authority in the world, and in parallel to the relevant UN delegations in NY.

National authorities could have activated whatever network they have in place, as well as place calls to the main tv and radio stations.

I know that's theory, but it could have worked out differently, especially in India, Sri Lanka, the Maldives, which had nearly 3 hours of "available time".

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:54 am

I think the Wiping out of the Military base at Nicobar would be a serious reason to Install such System.
regds
MEL

CON207

Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:25 am

It 's the same old story. When these countries had the opportunity to have a warning system set up.. "nah we'll be ok" it was REJECTED!!
Now its happened and with terrible consequences.. but on saying that even the most sophisicated of warning systems cannot prevent loss of human life totally.
Earthquakes, wherever they occur are highly unpredictable. The epicentre Aceh,was on the Indian Plate which in turn is part of the "Ring of Fire" area. As soon as I saw this information given out ,my heart sank. Unfortunately Humans grow complacent and now they have paid the ultimate price... with their lives, but it ALWAYS takes the loss of life to hit the message home.
The Bible states:-
"Just like the days of NOAH, no one took any notice until the flood came and swept them all away."  Wow!
May all those affected and to those who lost their lives find peace !!

Sue

Being ill sucks. Never take life for granted!!

jaysit

Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:34 am

Typical of the GOI's response to every thing. Reactive; never pro-active.

Apparently New Delhi sits on a geologic fault line that is prone to earthquakes. I wonder if the GOI even knows this.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

aerobalance

Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:48 am

Iakobos,

Seriously, get off of your stool.

The NOAA did not underestimate the power of this tsunami, when they found out about the chance of a tsunami they tried in vain to contact the appropiate officials. There are reports circulating in the US that officials from some of the countries that were effected by the tsunami were contacted in time, yet these high place 'officials' accused the tsunami reports as being false and malicious in an attempt by the US to 'ruin the tourism industry' in their country. Those countries and officials remain nameless now ,but I hope to GOD that those people are brought to light soon.

There are no measuring devices of any sort located in the Indian Ocean, what seismic activity that NOAA in Honolulu did pick up was done so on the devices in the Pacific. NOAA saw the data, noted how strong the signal was in the Pacific and could only extrapolate how strong the quake was at the epicenter, they made a humane decision to try to contact authorities, yet - to no avail in some countries or to deaf ears in others.

Do not start blaming the US or NOAA for this, there are other people to look at more closely.

Iakobos, how would you feel if NOAA DID try to withhold data, and not make any attempts to contact anybody? What would you say then?

I'm getting sick and tired of the US being blamed for things that are out of control. Do not blame the US for what other governments decide to do!

I wonder how those high placed 'officials' think of their tourism industry now.

May the tsunami victims RIP.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:00 pm

It took 2.5 hrs to reach the Indian coast.I dont know abot A&N but the Mainland of India could have been vacated from the Shores.
regds
MEL