clickhappy

Pregnant Woman Refused Divorce

Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:11 am

Wow, this is harsh  Sad

Shawnna Hughes divorced her abusive husband. But four days later a judge revoked her divorce because Shawnna Hughes was pregnant-- and pregnant women in Washington, according to this judge, can't get divorced.

http://www.thestranger.com/2004-12-23/feature.html

Tom in NO

RE: Pregnant Woman Refused Divorce

Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:24 am

That is definitely an interesting read. Sounds like Spokane County has a pretty arcane law on its books.

The comment about the law forcing pregnant women back into compromising positions with abusive almost ex-husbands speaks volumes.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

AAplatnumflier

Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:29 am

Must be a boring day in the news if stories like this are important. You can not live together but still be married also.

garnetpalmetto

Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:38 am

You can not live together but still be married also.

Uh...not in all states. "Desertion" and separations of varying lengths of time are grounds for divorce in several states.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

doug_or

Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:28 am

aa- the stranger is a weekly free paper that usualy includes a drunk pic of the week and a cloumn wirtten by a dominatrix for hire (not a standard daily).
When in doubt, one B pump off

Bofredrik

Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:40 am

I could understand if this news came from Iran or similar but USA?

The country of freedom...

garnetpalmetto

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:12 am

Bof - I realize that in your haste to bash any and all things American you failed to note people point things out like "arcane law." I'll agree this is a damned arcane law. Even here in South Carolina, a potentially illegitimate child isn't enough to nullify a divorce for physical or mental cruelty. My guess is that if she fights this on appeal she'll win easily. Certainly the exposure this is getting (this story was also in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer) could help grease the wheels of justice.

As for your slight on "if the news came from Iran.." how about Ireland? Divorce only recently became legal there and abortion still remains illegal. Are you going to foam at the mouth about the domestic abuses that occurred in Ireland too?
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

iowaman

Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:42 pm

There are getting to be way too many laws in this country... I agree with Bofredrik.

garnetpalmetto

Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:54 pm

The sad thing is, this judge is the exact opposite of an "activist judge" that you hear people whine about. He's following the letter of the law.

And as for there "getting to be way too many laws," from my read it seemed liek this was an old, arcane law that somehow never made it off the books.