msllsmith

"Not A Damn Dime Day"

Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:41 am

This was forwarded to me this morning by a friend of mine. An interesting and, I think, a real American kind of thing to do. I felt that the A.net community would be the perfect place to post it. What do you think?

"Subject: silent protest
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:31:31 -0500

Inauguration Day, Silent Protest

Since our religious leaders will not speak out against the war in
Iraq, since our political leaders don't have the moral courage to
oppose it, Inauguration Day, Thursday, January 20th, 2005 is "Not
One Damn Dime Day" in America.

On "Not One Damn Dime Day", those who oppose what is happening in
our name in Iraq can speak up with a 24-hour national boycott of all
forms of consumer spending.

During "Not One Damn Dime Day" please don't spend money. Not one
damn dime for gasoline. Not one damn dime for necessities or for
impulse purchases. Not one damn dime for anything for 24 hours.

For 24 hours, please do what you can to shut the retail economy
down.

The object is simple. Remind the people in power that the war in
Iraq is immoral and illegal; that they are responsible for starting
it and that it is their responsibility to stop it.
"Not One Damn Dime Day" is to remind them, too, that they work for
the people of the United States of America, not for the
international corporations and K Street lobbyists who represent the
corporations and funnel cash into American politics.

There's no rally to attend. No marching to do. No left or right wing
agenda to rant about. On "Not One Damn Dime Day" you take action by
doing nothing. You open your mouth by keeping your wallet closed.
For 24 hours, nothing gets spent, not one damn dime, to remind our
religious leaders and our politicians of their moral responsibility
to end the war in Iraq and give America back to the people.

Please share this email with as many people as possible. -- "

May every one have a happy and healthy New Year in 2005

There's nothing more beautiful than flying into the dawn.

ArmitageShanks

RE: "Not A Damn Dime Day"

Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:50 am

That's the best thing I've ever heard. It's brilliant and I will do it.

[Edited 2005-01-01 17:51:58]

ArmitageShanks

Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:51 am

That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Nobody will ever do that.

aloges

Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:01 am

Username: ArmitageShanks
From United States, joined Dec 2003, 1156 posts, RR: 8

Posted Sat Jan 1 2005 17:50:31 UTC+1 and read 7 times:

"That's the best thing I've ever heard. It's brilliant and I will do it."

Username: ArmitageShanks
From United States, joined Dec 2003, 1156 posts, RR: 8

Posted Sat Jan 1 2005 17:51:23 UTC+1 and read 6 times:

"That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Nobody will ever do that."

As the GWB fans would say, I'm sure John Kerry is proud of you...  Wink/being sarcastic
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

msllsmith

Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:03 am

Well, hell man make up your damn mind!

(I have just the tiniest .....?...... hangover from drinking really good scotch last night, and my contradiction tolerance is slim to none this morning )

[Edited 2005-01-01 18:07:30]

bravo7e7

Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:11 am

Guess what? The American people just elected GWB. Get over it. I'm damn sure I am not going to do this shit.

ArmitageShanks

Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:29 am

Of course nobody will do it. Even if they did it wouldn't make any difference. What they needed that day, they would buy the next. Businesses would suffer minimal spoilage.

This thing is just like all the other gags people try and put on. You remember how successful all those "Don't by gas on August 22" were.

You can't change anything by not buying your milk or shaving creme for one day. You people that disliked Bush so much should have gone out and convinced others to believe like you and CHANGED THE VOTE. That's the only way to get something done- don't reelect the ones you don't like.

Blackbird1331

Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:39 am

Too late. Your big chance was in November. If they did not hear you then, they will not hear you now. If it makes you happy, then do it, but please do not get pissed if your idea falls on deaf ears. I guess the only solace is in the fact that the man cannot be elected again.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

msllsmith

Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:51 am

Don't shoot the messanger....but.....keep the messages coming.

Off to the movies.

(It's not the 20th yet, is it?  Laugh out loud)

ctbarnes

Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:56 am

Which religious leaders have not spoken out? The Catholic Church has consistently and vocally denounced the war from the Pope on down.  Confused

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

ANCFlyer

Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:31 am

Msllsmith this isn't the dumbest thing I've ever read on A-Net, but damn sure is close.

Hope you enjoy sitting on your ass that day . . . .

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

NWAFA

Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:43 am

trust me there will be THOUSANDS that will be doing it. I will, my group of friends and family are.and they have sent that email to their friends and family.

THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

bravo7e7

Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:46 am

Oh wow, thousands out of nearly 300 million.  Big grin

aa61hvy

Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:48 am

Good idea. Lets shut down retail, lets hurt some more companies, lets hurt the economy some more. Obviously you don't work in retail, or have no family members that work in retail.

This post by you is complete trash.

Way to go  Insane
Go big or go home

ANCFlyer

Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:50 am

Upon reflection I find that this idea is growing on me!

It will mean less morons on the roads, in the stores, in the club! Hey, I could get used to it!

You nut cases go ahead, play your "Not One Damned Dime Day"! Maybe we can turn it into a national holiday. All us normal folk with a bit of intelligence can get a lot done that day if we keep the nut jobs off the street, out of the stores, etc.

Hey, I have a question . . . Not One Damned Dime Day . . . that means no lights, (they cost $$$), no cooking (that costs $$$ too), no TV, no zippo. Don't drive anywhere either, fuel costs $$$ too!

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

bravo7e7

Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:52 am

Good point ANCFlyer. They will just be using more and spending more the days before and after that date.

StowAway

Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:28 am

If anybody ever wondered what the definition of asinine is......

Edit: Can't make a smart ass comment with typos.  Big grin

[Edited 2005-01-01 22:46:08]
A monkey's ass always talks crap.

pilotaydin

Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:36 am

isnt this what Al Qaeda wants....the US economy to take a hit.....what would please the terrorists more than the americans self imposing the terror goals.......??
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

ANCFlyer

Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:41 am

Pilotaydin - my friend, I think it will take a few more folks than the nut jobs above to impact the economy . . . a few thousand out of the entire population in the USA? Not likely even raise an eyebrow . . . won't even be noticed.

N317AS

Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:48 am

Thanks Pilotaydin. I was going to say other than killing all the infidels, isn't that what Osama wants, is to shut down the US economy? The only ones you will hurt is the business people. Some who may deserve it. But it won't teach the politicians anything. Nice try though.
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

yhmfan

Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:22 am

You can't change anything by not buying your milk or shaving creme for one day

Well at first, I thought the same as ArmitageShanks but, come to think of it, in the specific case of shaving creme if you don't shave today you are not going to shave tomorrow which, technically speaking, means that shaving creme consumption would be down bu about 0.3% for the year!!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

As I was scratching my unshaven chin thinking about this I thought "Hey, how about a national "NO Shave" week as a way of protest? Think about all those unshaven guys going about their business (Ladies can participate too... think hairy legs!!)

Imagine at your average airport security check how many guys looking like recently recruited fanatics going through.....  Big grin

[Edited 2005-01-01 23:29:29]
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you

msllsmith

Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:12 am

You guys are a howl. Back from the movies.

ANCflyer.... Please feel free to take this the wrong way (  Big grin ). I know it's wildly dark this time of year in your hometown, and frequently chilly, so you have more time on your hands to fume over trivial stuff, so go at it. BTW... Do you really pay for your gym by the day? Personally, I think it's not cost effective.

Pitlotayden....it's seriously unlikely that "the US economy will take a hit"... so Osama will be foiled again.

You will all perhaps notice that in my original post, I didn't give any opinion one way or the other. One thing that came through loud and clear is that occasionally, the teenagers on this site get it right (It may be another example of give an infinite number of monkeys an infinite number of typewriters.... ect., but?  Innocent).

Bravo! Bravo7e7, you got it. Yes, the things you need for that day you will purchase the day before or wait and purchase it the day afterward. This is obviously designed to NOT put a hit on the American economy, but rather to be something curious, called a "PROTEST".

(The movie was pretty good.....House of Flying Daggers....wickedly good fight scenes)

DeltaGuy

Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:16 am

I'll be sure to save my bigscreen TV and major gasoline purchases until this day.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

ltbewr

Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:50 am

Unfortunatly, due to security fears as to the President after 9/11 (some self-inflicted due to his policies in Iraq and in the USA) and the Bushies' paranoia (beginning to look like Nixon, which lead to his being forced out of office) open street protesting has become futile. The President and his handlers out of their blind loyalty, have isolated well away from Bush anybody with a negative message. This is further compounded by that even in his car in DC, and elsewhere, the windows are so tinted, he cannot see out anyway to notice protestors. Even then, protestors are so feared of containing terrorists among them, that they are kept far away from any chance of being seen. Only those whom are loyal and supportive of him catches his eye. I don't think this 'not a damm dime day' is the answer, but in today's futility to try to bypass the coroprate/rich control of our politicans (both Democrats and Republicans) some people want to do something symboic.
To me it would be better to go after the big bucks donators to all of the major party canidates. Maybe some individuals could go after those who buy the 'golden table' tickets at fundraisers for all major party canidates, shaming them into giving that money toward real charity. Publicity of big donators that get the ear of the policicans may shame them into reducing their future donations. We need to make politicans know that ALL voices need to be heard, not just the richest. We need to make sure that those whom are concerned about the enviorment, labor, trade and the poor who make up 90% of the voters get 90% of the attention of our politicans.
In the recent Presidential Campaign, over $500 MILLION was spent in the name of the canidates, and we want to only spend aobut $350 Million of government money to help the vicitms of the recent Tusiami. Something is badly out of balance.

ANCFlyer

Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:54 am

Msllsmith: Do you really pay for your gym by the day

Nope, free, provided by my employer  Big thumbs up

This is obviously designed to NOT put a hit on the American economy, but rather to be something curious, called a "PROTEST"

I'm okay with this explanation . . . but, I'm not quite sure the fact that a paltry number of nut jobs is realllly gonna be missed out there . . .so my question is, what good is a protest if no one know's you're doing it!?

Glad you enjoyed the movie. Happy New Year! And the sun comes up here on the Arctic Ocean sometime late January again!

StowAway

Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:23 pm

Ltbwer, wrong.

The President and his handlers out of their blind loyalty, have isolated well away from Bush anybody with a negative message.

It has never been a secret that Bush and Cheney have shared their differences on views. Gay Marriage being a big one of those. The same is true with the President and Colin Powell.

I do agree with you, however, that the elite members of our society who contribute vast amounts of cash to campaigns need to be kept in check.

However, the races just keep getting nastier. This new level of politics is causing more ads, etc. So, the need for these fatcats just keeps increasing on both sides.

A monkey's ass always talks crap.

ZKSUJ

Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:53 pm

What about if someone needs a bus to get to work (car pool is not an option)? It is a nice idea of protest, but I don't think it is practical.

pilotaydin

Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:28 pm

well i hope your teenager reference wasn't to me, but anyways, i never said that the us would take a hit...and that's it for them...

considering that the repeated goal of Osama has been to thrash the US economy, my suggestion that it was a backing of his ideals were not leaning towards the actual change in US economy, more so towards the mentality. You see, if you have people int a country who are willing to basically go on economic protest, then regardless of the true outcome of, you have in a way conformed to the mentality of Osama..... he already has 49% of the united states on his side as far as being against Bush, and a lot of money is already draining out for the war....just imagine, if 49% of america actually did that, it would be such a day for Osama, regarldess of the 2 cents it would shift in terms of gross economy, it would divide americans even more.
I have noticed lately, there is a lot of aggression and anger between some of my american counterparts here on these threads....the gap seems to be widening, i an actually concerned because they aren't fighting about interior politics, of which there will always be clash, but they want to be known to the world as two different entities....

just kill that bastard, and we'll all be happy!
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

msllsmith

Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:34 am

Well, thank you all for your responses. I'm going to try to do a "SlamClick" here and kind of spill my guts. In advance I'm an admirer of Mr. "Click". Aside from the fact that the poor b*****d hasn't taken part in this, so it would seem unfair on the surface to make a nod to him. Aside from the fact that he has (reluctantly) become the TechOps guru ("Where is Skipper when we need him?"), he also will occasional jump in with both feet and give the benefit of his opinion without giving a damn whether the folks on the site like it or not. (Which is exactly what a pax should want in a guy flying left seat.... if he's got a little grey hair, and four stripes, settle back and read a book.... you're probably in good hands.)

I was looking for all responses. I should have bet on it, because I felt I would get the expected knee jerk responses, but was also looking for some considered responses. (BTW-I still haven't given my opinion..... read on)

Briefly to respond to some of you before the gut spilling starts:
(with a minimum of sarcasm, but not without some chuckles)

ANCflyer: OK, so does your employer pay by the day? Big grin.... but seriously, looking at your profile I can see that you and I share a love of Civil Aviation from childhood (flew repeatedly before birth, forget about afterward) and are not that dissimilar in age. I feel for you about the sun thing.... the only part of flying into ANC in the winter that I didn't like was that I couldn't walk out to Merryl (spelling is wrong) Field from the hotel.... too damned cold and way too dangerous to walk in the dark.....that and Peggy's airport diner's biscuits and cream gravy left something to be desired. A gentle reminder, that your 24 years in the military were specifically to support the protection of the rights of Americans to protest. One of the things that makes me so happy to be a USA citizen (maybe more on that later) is our right to dissent and not have to worry that some as****e is going to break into your house in the middle of the night and kill your family.... But vigilance of your government is in contrast, your responsibility as well as your right. Enough said.

NWAFA: Thanks. You and I share not only age but professional experience. Being an F/A. If there is a more unrecognized group of people who are maligned and made fun of.... none come to mind. Also, you have a little acknowledged part of your job which makes you perfect to comment on people in general. In the course of your job you see a cross section of the Global Population, forget about just Americans. By nature F/As are an optimistic and nurturing group..... for not a lot of $$$. Optimistic because your primary job is trying to always be prepared in case the guys in front (or acts of god) make it necessary to quit smiling and start putting out fires, pull pax from "other exits", ie) holes in the fuselage.... and nurturing, because in spite of how much of a jerk the guy in 37C is, you're still committed to trying to give him good service and do what ever it takes to "not declare him dead" until you land.

You see the otherside.

Ltbewr: Ditto on your response. A considered one. Judging by your location and age (yes it does come into it..... Christ! I'm starting to identify with Benj. Franklin) I'll bet you have stories to tell about 9/11. And yeah, the guy is definitely paranoid. He KNOWS how close the election was!

Pilotaydin: No I wasn't including you in the teenagers (I actually LIKE teenagers by the way..... an interesting bunch of half formed adults I spend my day beating my head against the wall sometimes trying to teach them.... I also listen to them... they may be young but young does not automatically equal stupid). I found your post indicative of what many people outside and maybe within the USA probably feel. If I'm quoting you out of context, I apologize in advance.

"..... he ("Osama") already has 49% of the united states on his side as far as being against Bush, and a lot of money is already draining out for the war....just imagine, if 49% of America actually did that, it would be such a day for Osama, regardless of the 2 cents it would shift in terms of gross economy, it would divide Americans even more...."

The fact is that here, in the US, being against our President's policies does NOT make us FOR Osama or anything he stands for (more about that when I start spilling my guts).

But thanks for jumping in and giving a considered reply.

Bravo7e7: The reason you can now vote at 18 (until 1972 it was 21) is quite frankly because people my age (there it is again!) put pressure on the Feds to make it so. We felt, and I still stick by it, that if a guy was old enough to be drafted, then by god he was old enough to vote for/or against the guys who were sending him out to be scared sh****ss and possibly killed. Think about it.

It's spill my guts time. First of all I'm a mother. Mother's by nature are against WAR..... just because they hate seeing their sons (now daughters as well) die. Period. We love them. It seems unfair to lose them. All of that aside....

My background. I was born and raised in NY. I AM against the war in Iraq. Not oddly enough, I was NOT against bombing Afghanistan back to the Stone Age if it would mean catching that no good s*n of a b***h Osama Bin Laddin. For some mysterious reason the government got sidetracked and he's still out there chuckling up his sleeve and making videos to influence the more gullible of the population that a vote for Bush was a vote against him. I'll bet he leans against his beast of burden every day and laughs until tears run down his cheeks that he pulled that one off! I feel that Mr. Bush made a grave error in going into Iraq under false pretenses.... and to ward off the inevitable "Pinko Commie" comments, I am proud to come from a family who has fought in every war this country has been involved in since the French and Indian war. No kidding. Also, big deal, as in "Who cares?". As they say here in NY.... "That and $2.00 will get me on the subway"

By the grace of a higher being and my employers scheduling, I was not at Ground Zero the day the WTC was attacked. I was in my 2nd floor loft on the Brooklyn waterfront.... a very safe across the water distance away. Minus the first 60 seconds of the attacks, I stood with everyone else and watched (and smelled...and continued to smell for weeks) the entire horror. We as a neighborhood lost a number of people; primarily firefighters, a few of them very close friends. For all the heroic hoopla, there wasn't one member of their immediate families or extended friends who wouldn't gladly trade the elaborate funeral or flag or "benefits for the children" to have them back.

Within two days I was recruited to work in the Family Assistance center. Airlines always train some folks to tell to tell other folks that quite frankly, "Your family member did not survive". A sterile way to say, "They're dead, get on with it, is there anything we can do to make it any easier?" I had that training, was more than happy (?) to help (?) and it was tough. But I'll tell you, definitively, it was a s**t load harder for the families I worked with. I've already spilled my guts about this in relation to security, but to make a long story short, I realized that I (in relation to my then job) had met Mohammed Atta and four of his fellow terrorists, and to my dismay had sold them a ticket for what was probably their last up close and personal view of the WTC before they knocked it down. A helicopter trip. I reported it to the FBI, they interviewed me five or six times, thanked me profusely for the information I was able (not much) to help them with his activities in the weeks before the attacks.... and that was that.

I never want to see that sort of thing happen again.

I am fully behind any kind of PEACEFUL demonstration to add to the deluge of other United States citizens who seriously question Mr. Bush's current policies, both foreign and domestic.

A side note to Bravo7e7 and other guys here your age; you're too young to remember some very violent protests here in the US. I'm thinking specifically of the riots of 1968 in the ghettos.... some of that was due to them feeling, probably rightly so, that a large number of their population was being "drafted", because they were too damned poor to get into college and get deferments.

Well, at any rate. Maybe I'll do it and maybe I won't. But I firmly stand behind the sentiment..... actually, I probably will. If I forget to buy the milk the night before, I'll tough it out....

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Once again wishing you all a Happy, Healthy and hopefully, peaceful and prosperous New Year.

ANCFlyer

Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:31 am

Msllsmith:

Merryl (spelling is wrong) Field = Merrill http://www.airnav.com/airport/PAMR . . . . and yes, Peggy's restaurant does suck, except for the home made pies.

A gentle reminder, that your 24 years in the military were specifically to support the protection of the rights of Americans to protest

I didn't say you couldn't or shouldn't protest. It's not up to me. I simply said I thought it was silly and pointless, since, other than the few of us on A-Net that read this thread, no one will know you're doing it. That's all.

Glad to have protected your right to protest - or not to protest . . .I'd do it again. Hoooah.

msllsmith

Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:14 am

Well, thank you, honest to god, ANCFlyer for serving. I'll bet you WOULD do it again. And thanks for the uplink to Merrill field..... it's such an amazing field.... also thanks for the back up on Peggy's..... now I know why the F/D would always say, "MMMMM no lets eat here at the hotel......" I used to travel with a Sporty's handheld. When our a/c was late, all my 'back of the plane' chums would seek me out to scan for it.... one day at Merrill I used it to request clearance to "cross the runway", using my old N #..... I've sometimes wondered if they wondered where that plane was? Instead they may, if they were looking at the runway, have seen a 6' tall woman tearassing across the runway. (I'm well 'trained' in looking for a/c, so no sarcastic..... "OOOHHHHH how stupid to do that!" comments..... please)

Back to the subject. That's what makes us such an interesting diverse bunch of weirdos here in the US of A..... the right to "serve", "dissent" and "serve AND dissent".......

Take it easy..... Oh and BTW, buy your milk on the 19th.

[Edited 2005-01-02 21:20:46]