gkirk

Great White Sharks Vs Killer Whales

Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:24 pm

Ok, something that has intrigued me for a while now.

Which one of these two are the strongest/most dangerous? Also which one would you prefer to see in real life in a wild environment?

One last thing, who would win in a fight between the Great White Shark and the Killer Whale?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

OYRJA

RE: Great White Sharks Vs Killer Whales

Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:34 pm

Personally I would love to see a Killer whale in real ocean and not in Sea World like I did already.
I don't like the sharks because they look more harsh then the cute Killer Whale Big grin

Boeing Nut

Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:41 pm

If I recall, there have been observations that the Killer Whale has done in a Great White from time to time. Especially if young calves are at risk.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

gkirk

Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:14 pm

Remember that advert (UK only maybe?) where 2 Killer Whales played tennis (using their tails)with a man dressed up as a seal? It would be hilarious if 2 Killer Whales played Tennis with OYRJA before gobbling him up  Big thumbs up

galaxy5

Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:21 pm

I'm pretty sure the killer whale has the advantage, with its sheer size alone. Also since the Orca is a social creature it also hunts in co-ordinated packs, it would rarely succomb to great white threat.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

DIJKKIJK

Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:26 pm

Which one of these two are the strongest/most dangerous?

Both are equally strong, but the killer whale is a more intelligent creature and won't attack just about anything. Great White sharks, on the other hand, are extremely temperamental and are known to attack everything, including humans.

Killer whales are found in colonies, which is a proof of their social behaviour and therefore, intelligence. Great Whites, like all other sharks, are solitary hunters.

Their hunting skills, of course, are equally impressive and they are both equally important ecologically.

Also which one would you prefer to see in real life in a wild environment?
I would prefer a killer whale, like I said, sharks are temperamental.

who would win in a fight between the Great White Shark and the Killer Whale?

This is a difficult one, pretty much depends on the size of the animals which are fighting. They can both be equally fierce and are equally strong. But since killer whales are always in groups, an attack on one member of the group will result in the entire group retaliating fiercely. So only a foolhardy shark will take on a group of killer whales
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

gkirk

Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:31 pm

Cheers for the responses so far  Big thumbs up

MD11Engineer

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:09 am

One problem is that there exists very little research on White Sharks, but recent research points that the sharks are much more intelligent than previously credited. They are also curious and like to play. The problem is their migration pattern, where research is just in the infancy. I´ve seen footage of a White Shark clearly enjoying having it´s tummy scratched by a diver.
Experiments with other shark species carried out by Cousteau back in the 1970s indicate that sharks can be trained and can make simple logical conclusions, like find behing which door to find food.
I think in nature, a Great White Shark and an Orca will mostly just avoid each other. Both actually feed mainly one seals, not on each other.
Also, IMO, human perception of sharks has been largely influenced by horror stories and movies like "Jaws".

Up to a few decades ago, wolves were accused of being man killers, recent research debunked all the horror stories as myths.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

hkg82

Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:43 am

Interesting question and I agree that the Killer Whale would win, at least 7 or 8 times out of 10 against the Great White. The Orca aside from superior strength, size & intelligence is also far more maneuverable. The GW's movement is limited, and it will be incapable of turning around into position in time. There won't be much of a fight as the Orca will manhandle the shark. It's not much of a contest, but then again anything can happen in the wild so we can't completely disregard the GW's chances.

Other interesting scenarios:

1. Great White Shark vs. Saltwater Crocodile
2. Siberian Tiger vs. Siberian Brown Bear
3. African Lion vs. Bengal Tiger

What say you all for the above scenarios?

Hkg82.

Stratofish

Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:51 am

Whoever (falsely) named the Orca "Killer Whale" was probably a Seal. (Pun intended Big grin )
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way

PJ295

Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:35 am

Since we are on this animal vs. animal subject, I thought I would share this program with you. Last year I remember seeing a program on the discovery channel where a simulation was run to see which animal would prevail in a face off. Here is a link
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/animalfaceoff/animalfaceoff.html

SA006

Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:48 am

3. African Lion vs. Bengal Tiger

Viva la Africa! Big grin

Kirk , what about a Praying mantis against an SA006? *nudge nudge*

Rgds  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
SA006
Proudly South African

AAplatnumflier

Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:10 am

Unless the Great White were a monster 20 footer with a pack of 20 footers with it then it may have a chance against the Killer Whale. But when that big old Killer Whale gets moving and is determined it is determined.

Russophile

Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:36 am

Orca's may be regarded as intelligent, but Great Whites too show some signs of 'intelligence'. It was mentioned above that Orca's hunt in packs. You only need to go back a few weeks when off the South Australian coast a surfer was attacked and bitten in half by two great whites who were hunting together. If two can hunt together, what is stopping 10 or 20 hunting together?

We know so much about orca's due to being able to get up close to them on a regular basis. But very little is actually known about great whites, and we are learning new things about them regularly, e.g. the attack I mentioned above.

If it was a one on one fight, a great white would likely win.

MD11Engineer

Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:07 am

Most animals have too much sense to get themselves into combat situations. The exception would be if one is much smaller and therefore considered to be food for the bigger one or if they are forced into a tight corner.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

copper1

Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:45 am

A few years ago on TV there was a clip shot in the wild of this exact confrontation, A solitary killer whale vs. a great white shark. It was no contest, the killer whale won big time.

Both were good sized examples but the killer whale's size and strength made it no contest.

Pretty cool to watch though.

Jeff

Russophile

Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:54 am

ConcordeBoy

Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:16 am

Also, if anyone wants to know the true POWER of the Killer Whale... research the "Walking Whales" of Patagonia:
these b!tches are so intense that they will actually inchworm their way out of the water, sometimes completely onto a beach; to grab seals or whatever prey they may be after. They've developed such overall body-strength that they can decompress their internal organs to move around on land, in ways that would strand any other whale/dolphin; even other Orcas who lack the breeding/experience for the maneuver.

I've thusfar only seen this on TV, but it's something I hope to observe in person very soon!
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Klaus

ConcordeBoy

Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:35 am

ConcordeBoy: I've thusfar only seen this on TV, but it's something I hope to observe in person very soon!

I don´t think they´ll like your taste that much. But points for selflessness all the same....  Big thumbs up

clickhappy

Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:41 am

dude.

Killer whales are SKETCHY.

What freaks me out is when you see these morons kayaking amongst the whales. HELLO? Those things might be mellow, but they scare the crap out of me. They just look like killing machines.

jcs17

Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:02 am

If a Killer Whale can turn young Jesse's life around, I don't see why it couldn't destroy a Great White.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

aloges

Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:08 am

Clickhappy, I think Orcas are a bit too smart for attacking appetizer-sized pieces of flesh holding toothpicks... Big grin
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

MD-90

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:30 pm

Sometimes you can't help it, but you're not supposed to get too close to orcas in the wild. Of course there are laws regarding this (big surprise), but I would think that it's just prudent. I've read a really good book about orca researchers in the 1970s who were the first to free swim with orcas. They were rather apprehensive of it, but nothing happened, of course.

Orcas are more intelligent (by orders of magnitude) than sharks, live in pods (the larger sharks don't), are warm-blooded, and probably stronger than any shark (with the possible exception of Bruce, the star of Jaws).

I want to go sea kayaking in Johnstone Strait and see the orcas, myself.

ZKSUJ

Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:54 pm

Hey Orcas have killed humans before too, so don't rule them out as being tame. Generally they are good tempered but if a human was faced with and angry orca or an angry shark, it would end with the same result.

Orca vs GW, hard to say, a GW IMO

what about an orca pod or a group of GWs against a Blue whale? Yes BWs are much much bugger, but they have no teeth and feed on plankton, the others however feed on Meat.

JetMechMD80

Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:01 pm

My money would be on the Orca every time.
"I get along great with nobody"~ Billy Idol

clickhappy

Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:41 am

actually has there ever been a documented killer whale attack on a human? I think maybe 1 or 2, at the most. That being said, they still scare the heck out of me!

ConcordeBoy

Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:00 am

actually has there ever been a documented killer whale attack on a human?

Dunno, but (off topic), despite their bad-press through folklore, there's never been a documented case of a Wolf (or any other wild dog other than the Dingo) killing a human.

clickhappy

Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:59 am

dunno man.

http://www.usa4id.com/Documents/Documented%20Human%20Wolf%20Attacks.htm

In Northern India since 1996 there has been more than 80 people killed and eaten by wolves, in1998 30 (thirty) of those killed were children between ages of one (1) and twelve (12.) See National Geographic, Man Eaters of India)

ConcordeBoy

Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:24 am

Interesting ClickHappy.

Apparently, my statement is limited to N.America.

The following article explains that as well as touches on the India story:
http://www.mnforsustain.org/wolf_mech_d_who's_afraid_of.htm

aerobalance

Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:01 am

Out here in California we are blessed to have local populations of Great White sharks inhabit the waters off our central coast. We also have reports of pods of Orcas roaming the waters during our winter and spring. The seals and sea lions that populate our coast are a good source of sustenance for both species.
Highlight films of Great White sharks attacking and tossing their food (seals) tend to make the young at heart gasp in awe and wonder as they observe the feeding habits of the GW Shark, truly a wonderful sight to see in person!

I have yet to hear of a report of a GW shark and an Orca in a confrontation off of our waters. Maybe the plentiful food supply makes this so.

Also adding to the marine food supply our the 'bright-minded' folks who like to cheat death and test their luck amongst these creatures. Sometimes they live to play another day - Sometimes they lose.

http://www.cdnn.info/safety/s040819a/s040819a.html

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/2415988/detail.html
If you play amongst the seals...You just may become one....

I can't wait to see what stupidity runs rampant in our waters in 2005.

Safe Swimming!
TS
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

VonRichtofen

Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:02 am

"Both are equally strong"
"If it was a one on one fight, a great white would likely win."

Negative.

Great whites may be big, but Orca's are massive and just as, if not more fierce. Just because it's a whale doesn't make it any more docile. Orca would win I'd say.

"What freaks me out is when you see these morons kayaking amongst the whales. HELLO? Those things might be mellow, but they scare the crap out of me. They just look like killing machines."

Sometimes you can't help it. There's been many times when I was out boating and they just came out of nowhere some 50-100feet in front of the boat. Startling? Yes. Scary? Not really, kinda cool actually. Of course, I don't push my luck and follow them trying to get closer.

Regards,
Kris

MD-90

Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:40 am

Yes, there has been one documented attack of an orca attacking a surfer in California. The whale bit the surfboard (possibly the surfer too, I forget, but he didn't die) and the bite print was definately an orca's. Apparently the whale bit once and then left, realizing it's mistake.

I don't think there are any documented incidences of anyone ever having been killed by a killer whale. Orcas kept too long in captivity (especially the males) do tend to become aggressive towards their trainers. Trainers have been nipped once or twice, and once one almost died when the whale pressed her against the wall of his holding tank and held her there for over a minute (while she was underwater).

what about an orca pod or a group of GWs against a Blue whale? Yes BWs are much much bugger, but they have no teeth and feed on plankton, the others however feed on Meat.

Orcas are the Blue Whales' only natural predator. In fact, excepting man, orcas are just about the most lethal predator on the planet.

gkirk

Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:38 pm

Some great stuff here, thanks guys  Big thumbs up
Never realised some others would be fascinated by this sort of thing  Smile

Oh, and SA006, the praying mantis would just have to do a silly dance to scare the hell out of you  Big thumbs up

mdsh00

Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:25 am

I think the Orca would b!tchslap the Great White, hands down.

By the way, there is a huge misconception running here. Orcas are not whales but porpoises, making them relatives of dolphins.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Thom@s

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:28 pm

I wonder how many boys were crushed by the whale before they got the great cover shot...?

Btw, Willy (aka "Keiko") died of the flu or something a year ago. Bloody norwegian weather...  Smile

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"