MaverickM11
Topic Author

Saudi Arabia Gives $10 Million To Tsunami Victims

Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:19 pm

....On par with Portugal, who also is giving $10 million. A very large portion of the victims were Muslim....draw your own conclusions.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Falcon84

RE: Saudi Arabia Gives $10 Million To Tsunami Victims

Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:21 pm

Maverick-in all fairness, I don't think you liked it when the U.S. was bashed for it's initial offering of $35 million and the grief President Bush took over it, so why don't you perhaps have the courtesy of giving the House of Saud a little more time before telling us to "draw conclusions."

That's only fair, man.

But again, who the fuck CARES which country gives the most or the least, as long as the world is getting the money there, and the aid is getting there. This isn't some freaking money Olympics is it?
Work Right, Fly Hard

Falcon84

Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:23 pm

Now, here's someone, however, putting their money where their heart is.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/03/tsunami.bullock.ap/index.html

I knew I liked her for more than her girl-next-door-looks.  Big thumbs up
Work Right, Fly Hard

theCoz

Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:27 pm

Considering Saudi Arabia is so wealthy it makes me wonder what their reasoning is...

It also makes me wonder why we initially only pledged 35 million in the US.

But...If I see any Sri Lankans driving around in a ferrari, I'm gonna be pissed.

mandala499

Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:37 pm

We can't scream what's generous and what's not... Every country has their own sets of priorities... Yes people have been disappointed.. They're giving 10m USD while last year they raised 150m USD for families of suicide bombers. They got different priorities... we got our priorities. However, every penny counts !

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

jaysit

Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:32 pm

All that our pals, the House of Saud (you know them, the ones that the House of Bush kisses up to) are good at is spending money on designer gold plated potties ($ 1 million a pop), buying private 747-400s for Prince Mah-too-tight-disha-dasha to visit Geneva to buy patek phillipe watches for his many wives($ 150 million a pop), and dispensing hush money to nut-case Islamo fascists ($$$ -- anyone's guess).

If just one of those Saudi princesses sold her jewelry collection, they'd have another $ 50 million to trot off to Indonesia (assuming that Buddhist Thais and Sri Lankans, and Hindu and Christian Indians aren't worthy of their largesse).

$ 10 million by the House of Saud is even more atrocious than the pitiful amount first offered by Dubya.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

aerobalance

Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:44 pm

$10 million!

By God that is not enough, I implore them to give more!

Damn, that felt good to say that! Now I know why everybody loves bashing the U.S., it just feels good to do it...
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

L410Turbolet

Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:16 pm

This morning CNN mentioned the donation of 10 million USD and put it into a an interesting perspective, by comparing it with the telethon, (state?) organized in Saudi Arabia some time ago, which generated 150 million USD for the families of the Palestinian suicide bombers.
Compassion and help to millions brothers in faith, who lost everything? No, thank you. Glorification of mass murderers and terrorists? Any money you want!

gkirk

Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:24 pm

There's a kid in the UK who is selling all his toys to raise money for the Tsunami appeal.
Very touching thought...
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

airplay

Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:07 pm

There are a lot of silly parallels being drawn here. First of all, it shouldn't matter what faith these people are. Why should we take ownership of something based on faith? Why doesn't the US step in to stop the fighting in Northern Ireland? The short answer is that it is none of their business...

Secondly, it is still quite early in the game. Most countries have sent initial aid and are following up with personal visits to determine the best course of action. The US, Canada and Saudi Arabia are no different in this regard.

Just because there was an announcement of 10 million dollars doesn't mean there won't be more to follow.

OYRJA

Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:46 pm

There's a kid in the UK who is selling all his toys to raise money for the Tsunami appeal.
Very touching thought...

Yeah. It is very touching.... But I'll bet my ass off that he will get some new toys after he has been on national news as the little hero he is.  Big grin

[Edited 2005-01-04 15:47:02]

gkirk

Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:47 pm

Obviously OYRJA, I think his parents have also said that they will take him to Disneyland or somewhere

OYRJA

Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:49 pm

Obviously OYRJA, I think his parents have also said that they will take him to Disneyland or somewhere

Exactly... That is what I thought.. Don't get me wrong. But I think it's a good gesture. But on the other side I think it's a little bit like getting attention.

gkirk

Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:54 pm

And once again nobody can do any good without being criticized  Insane  Yeah sure

DIJKKIJK

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:00 am

Not just Saudi Arabia, the response from the other rich muslim countries is equally pathetic!

Here's a breakup. All figures in Millions of USD! This is what the islamic world had to offer:

Algeria 2.00
Bahrain 2.00
Kuwait 10.00
Libya 2.00
Qatar 25.00
Saudi Arabia 10.00
Turkey 1.25
UAE 2.00

Compare that to the non-muslim countries!

African Union 0.10
Australia 46.48
Austria 2.72
Britain 96.00
Bulgaria 0.14
Canada 33.00
China 60.42
Denmark 54.88
EU 40.81
Finland 6.12
France 56.18
Germany 27.21
Hungary 0.27
Ireland 13.62
Italy 95.00
Japan 500.00
Netherlands 34.00
New Zealand 3.60
Norway 180.00
Poland 1.00
Portugal 10.88
Singapore 3.10
Slovakia 0.23
Slovenia 0.11
South Korea 5.00
Spain 68.02
Sweden 80.00
Switzerland 23.81
Taiwan 5.25
USA 350.00
Venezuela 2.00
World Bank 250.00

Stingy buggers!

Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

OYRJA

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:02 am

And once again nobody can do any good without being criticized

Read my post dude! I didn't mean it like that. I think it's a really good gesture. But there are so many "fairytale" stories at the moment.

Horus

RE: Saudi Arabia Gives $10 Million To Tsunami Vict

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:11 am

Many of these figures are misleading/outdated and seem to 'omit' other contributions.

Algeria 2.00
Bahrain 8.00
Kuwait 12.00
Libya 10.00
Qatar 25.00
Saudi Arabia 20.00 (where did you get $10m from???)
Turkey 1.25
UAE 6.00

in addition to:

Egypt 8.00
Jordan 3.00
Lebanon 4.00
Oman 8.00 (even though they have also been effected by the tsunami)
Syria 2.00

Now these are the initial sums donated by each government and I expect that to go higher (the US and UK increased their donations after their initial sum). Also donations by the Arab general public and charities are significant.

In addition Arab rescue workers make up the second largest foreign body in Indonesia after the Australians.

I hope we don't forget the victims of this horrendous tragedy and end this childish bickering.

Horus

EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

airplay

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:14 am

Call this thread what it is. An attempt to bash Muslims.

ltbewr

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:59 am

This isn't to 'bash Muslims', but to render an opinion with some justification.
In Kuwait, there has been critizism for their lack of donations, and will probably grow in the next few days. There is another issue here too, that it may be difficult for these Islamic countries leaders to give to some areas due to fears of monies going to support Islamic terror groups. I would also add that Saudi Arabia and other very rich oil producing countries in the Islamic Middle East got rich by selling oil at recently very high prices to the citizens of India and other affected countries, thus some 'rebate' in the realm of a Billion USD or so from them would be realistic. I would also note, that they may be a source of financing in the long run for the Islamic areas, but maybe with strings attached, such as funding religious schools, Mosques, and faith based charity. They may also be directing their donations via religious organizations, that may not appear in the media numbers due to various cultural issues, like that one doesn't brag about how much they are contributing. I hope the Arab satallite news stations heap critizism on their regions leaders to up their contributions to the Tusami vicitms, maybe shifting monies from supporting terror in Iraq against the USA and against Israel via the Palistitians to the Islamic victims of the recent tragedy.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:15 am

"Call this thread what it is. An attempt to bash Muslims."

So all those other threads are attempts to bash the US right?

I'm just pointing out that those that are responding least to a huge crisis affecting mostly Muslims are *drumroll please* Muslim countries. I'm not bashing them...they're bashing themselves. Again.

[Edited 2005-01-04 17:26:24]
E pur si muove -Galileo

mandala499

Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:13 am

10m? 20m ? That's a pittance for Saudi Arabia...
Rightly or wrongly... let's just say a LOT of Muslims in Indonesia are disappointed... I wonder of someone have told the Acehnese people yet...

Well, give what they want... it's their choice...

Mandala499

airplay

Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:10 am

I'm just pointing out that those that are responding least to a huge crisis affecting mostly Muslims are *drumroll please* Muslim countries. I'm not bashing them...they're bashing themselves. Again.

I don't recall the Vatican stepping up when "Christian" countries suffer disasters. Why should other "Muslim" countries take ownership here?

Tying this all to religion is silly. Should Christian-majority countries withhold aid? Should Muslim-majority countries give more? Its a silly thing to base your decision to give aid.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:18 am

"I don't recall the Vatican stepping up when "Christian" countries suffer disasters. Why should other "Muslim" countries take ownership here? "

Apparently Bush should have jumped behind a camera the instant the earthquake hit with a cape and tights on, and offered 100 billion dollars.

There's NO CONSISTENCY in the attacks here. The US never does enough, or never does anything right, but when you actually point the finger at governments that actually ARE doing a sh!tty job, all of a sudden it becomes a childish skirmish.

Frankly I don't care, but if you're going to chastize the US for not acting soon enough or donating enough money, then you should be demonstrating in the streets because the Middle East has performed pitifully...as expected.

"Tying this all to religion is silly."

I'm just pointing out the outrageous hypocrisy. The US is chastized for not doing enough, but when I point out that Muslim countries have done nothing compared to the US, it's childish, or Muslim bashing, or you-name-it. The US is chastized for doing more to harm Muslims the world over, when it probably does more for them than just about every other country combined.
E pur si muove -Galileo

BA

Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:24 am

The Arab gulf nations are contributing very well to the Tsunami disasters and since they announced the financial aid, almost all of the countries have increased that aid.

As of December 31, Qatar was the #1 contributer of aid for the Tsunami disaster per capita.

Saudi Arabia and the other gulf states are not far behind Qatar when it comes to aid per capita.

You cannot simply look at the total amount, you must compare the sum per capita.

The UAE's national airline, IN ADDITION, to the financial aid is dedicating all cargo space on Etihad Airways' flights to Asia for supplies, food, clothing, etc. to the tsunami victims.

In addition, UAE government cargo aircraft have been flying aid to Sri Lanka and Thailand.

I watched on Al Jazeera a big building in the UAE full of Red Crescent employees filling bags and crates with all sorts of supplies. Most of the aid the UAE is contributing is an actual supplies, not in financial aid.

$10 million was the initial amount Saudi Arabia dedicated to the tsunami disaster and this has continuously increased. I don't know what it is now.

So yes, this is another attempt to bash Muslims and the Arab world based on false and twisted facts.

And I will say it again, when you want to compare what nation is giving the most aid, it must be compared to per capita, not total sum amount.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

BA

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:10 am

MaverickM11,

I hope you realize your $10 million aid from Saudi Arabia number is more than a week old, announced on December 27. Infact, I posted that number and some other numbers in a post last week, so your numbers are indeed out of date.

Saudi aid is now up to $30 million and is expected to increase further. UAE aid is now up to $20 million and is also expected to increase further.

Per Capita all the wealthy Arab states are contributing extremely well.

Qatar, which is a tiny and lightly populated country has contributed $25 million which is excellent considering the population of this tiny country is just 840,000.

That means Qatar's aid per capita is about $30.

Saudi Arabia's aid per capita is $1.20. Just to compare, US aid per capita is $1.18, so for all you Saudi bashers, Saudi Arabia's aid is on par with US aid, yet the US is a much much much richer country. The US' GDP per capita is more than three times that of Saudi Arabia, yet Saudi Arabia's aid per capita to the tsunami victims is just slightly above that of the US!

But hey, it is easy and convenient to bash the Arab and Muslim world.  Insane

The wealth of Saudi Arabia is exaggerated, especially since over the years it has dropped as a result of increased oil competition and rising population (now it is around 25 million, including 5 million non-nationals).

So people, stop the usual "But Saudi Arabia is so rich! They should be able to contribute more!" rhetoric, it's getting old. Like I said, the US' GDP per capita is more than three times that of Saudi Arabia and Saudi Arabia is suffering from increased oil competition and a great rise in population.

UAE's aid per capita is now $8, again quite generous.

Qatar, the UAE, and Kuwait are all richer per capita than Saudi Arabia and have much smaller populations.

Bahrain is no longer a very rich country as its oil reserves have run dry and they are marketting tourism and investment. However, its aid is around $12 per capita which is extremely generous for a "not so rich" tiny island nation.

Kuwait's aid per capita is around $5 right now.

Algeria, Libya, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, and Jordan are all countries that are far from rich, and I have to say for their aid contribution is quite generous considering the dire state that they are in.

Oman which is not as rich as the UAE, Qatar, and Kuwait, and was hit quite badly by the tsunami is contributing around $2.80 per capita, again, quite good.

What's next, are we going to start criticizing poor African nations like Tanzania for not contributing enough to the tsunami disaster?  Insane

Luxembourg is the world's richest country per capita (which is what counts). Does that mean Luxembourg is supposed to try to match the United States' $350 million?  Insane

It's easy to bash Arabs and Muslims, and that is exactly what this thread is about. I've noticed your trend MaverickM11, and I must say it is quite sad to see how blinded and full of hate you are...
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

ConcordeBoy

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:17 am

Gotta agree with Maverick... the anti-US/pro-whomever hyprocrisy on this thread (relevant to sooooo many others) is abhorrent!  Crying
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

pilotaydin

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:24 am

"Prince Mah-too-tight-disha-dasha " come on man..... do you feel better when you mock other societies and cultures...everyone is human, nothing more or less that's the bottom line....you're making fun of them because you don't like the amount of aid? or you think they could do better?

so much for good intentions.....even if they gave 100 million you'd have something to say
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

emiratesa345

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:50 am

"I knew I liked her for more than her girl-next-door-looks."

I knew I liked her for the way she drove that GM Fishbowl. lol  Laugh out loud

It's always a competition....

Mark
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

RobertNL070

Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:07 am

USA
$350m in government donations, plus military assistance involving 12,600 personnel, 21 ships, 14 cargo planes and 48 helicopters. Private donations are also pouring in, with $120m donated to the US branches of the Red Cross, Oxfam and Save the Children, and to Catholic Relief Services.

United Kingdom
$96m in government donations, plus $146m in private donations which the government has pledged to match. Two RAF planes, a C-17 and a Tristar, are helping to deliver aid to the region. Chancellor Gordon Brown is pushing a proposal for the debts of the affected nations to be frozen.

(source: BBC World. My bold type.)

Osama Bin Laden et al please take note: a large part (the majority?) of this aid will be going to fellow Muslims!

I believe that pretty much the whole of Europe is to grind to a complete halt for three minutes silence at 12:00 CET Wednesday 5 January. Awesome.

Regards, Robert

Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

L410Turbolet

Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:02 am

I believe that pretty much the whole of Europe is to grind to a complete halt for three minutes silence at 12:00 CET Wednesday 5 January. Awesome.

Is this some sort of EU-wide thing? I know it was initiative of the Netherlands and Luxembourg and that Poland joined as well.
Here, the flags will be half-mast, the sirens will sound and church bells ring for 3 minutes at noon, Czech TV and Radio will stop their regular broadcast.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:37 am

""Prince Mah-too-tight-disha-dasha " come on man..... do you feel better when you mock other societies and cultures...everyone is human, nothing more or less that's the bottom line....you're making fun of them because you don't like the amount of aid? or you think they could do better?"

He actually got it just about right. There's one "prince" travelling on a private jet to shop with his wives at Harrods in London for every 100 natives and guest workers living in poverty and strictly limited freedoms. If you think the rich have it easy in the US, you've seen nothing until you look at Saudi Arabia.
E pur si muove -Galileo

martinairyyz

Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:45 am

Only $10 million is extremely cheap....... even Canada, a country with only 30 million people and portrayed by many as an icecap has donated more.... $60 million more to be precise! ($80m in total)

With the type of money Saudi. Ar. has, i should see at least $200 million if not more!
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

L-188

Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:48 am

NBC news had a story about some of the arab reporting of the disaster tonight and took a swipe at the lack of mid-east donations in the story.

Apparently some in the area, are worried that they money will end up supporting "infidels". They had one shot from a Saudi news show where an Iman was being interviewed and said that the Tsunami was Allah getting revenge on unbelivers and those muslims in southeast Asia that supported them.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

MD11Engineer

Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:58 am

Well, this imam should better go back to geographics class. Most of the victims are Muslims. In fact Aceh has been for the last few years the home of a radical Muslim seperatist organisation, which wanted to split it off Indonesia.
But on the other hand, the people there right now need mobile drinking water purification plants, food, shelter and help in the reconstruction of their homes as well in the cleaning up efforts, not additional preachers and mosques. It could also be that, as a result of the relief efforts, people, who´ve been supporting the radicals, will move back to mainstream.
Or maybe for this imam, Saudi Arabia is the navel of the Muslim world and everything outside it´s borders doesn´t count?

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

BA

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:06 pm

People, will you please leave religion and politics out of this please.

As Falcon84 said, this is not a competition and countries and people should contribute as much as they can.

During a catastrophic natural disaster, there is no room for religion and politics.

This is a humanitarian issue and in humanitarian issues, religion and politics do not matter.

So stop this "Muslim nations should be providing most of the humanitarian aid because the majority of those affected are Muslims" rhetoric.

We are all human beings. Thousands of human beings are suffering from this natural disaster. We need to help them as much as we can and stop this stupid religious and political bickering.

Getting back to the topic, Saudi Arabia has so far sent 150 tons of emergency supplies and aid. This is in addition to the financial aid.

Saudi Arabian Cargo Boeing 747 freighters have been flying back and forth between Saudi Arabia and the nations affected carrying supplies.

Apparently some in the area, are worried that they money will end up supporting "infidels". They had one shot from a Saudi news show where an Iman was being interviewed and said that the Tsunami was Allah getting revenge on unbelivers and those muslims in southeast Asia that supported them.

Sounds like the one American priest (I think he was a priest) who said America was spared from the tsunami because Americans accepted Jesus.

There is extremism everywhere...

By the way, it is Imam. Iman is a female Arabic name.  Smile

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:16 pm

"So stop this "Muslim nations should be providing most of the humanitarian aid because the majority of those affected are Muslims" rhetoric."

Just pointing out that for all the sh!t the Muslim governments talk, they ought to put their money where their mouth/mosque/meuzen is.
E pur si muove -Galileo

MD11Engineer

Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:40 am

BA,
I was refering to the fact that the country with the highest number of victims, Indonesia, IS in fact a Muslim country and to the interview with this backward Imam, who refused to help because he didn´t want the help to go to "infidels". Anybody who speaks of such disaster as "God´s punishment for sinners", deserves to be hung, disemboweled and quartered. This also applies to "cHristians" like Reverend Phelbs of the Westboro Babtist Church (see the related thread).

Jan

[Edited 2005-01-05 16:41:32]

mandala499

Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:49 am

Errr... just how do we define a Muslim country here?
State religion (like UK is Anglican Church), or just by population proportion?

mandala499

qr332

Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:23 am

Mandala,
In Saudi Arabia its both, state religion and population majority. Indonesia is a Muslim country, and many Muslims died in Sri Lanka as well (not sure about the amount of Muslim deaths in other countries). I think it is really bad if a nation is going to discriminate against a countries with aid for religious purposes, as BA said, this is a humanitarian crisis, not a political one.
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

MD11Engineer

Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:42 am

Mandala,

In this case I was using percentage of the population for a definition. I know that here are huge minorities living in different regions of the country (Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Animists)

Jan

jaysit

Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:25 am

Maybe Suha Arafat can do some volunteer work too.

After all, her husband is now dead and gone, and she has billions to her name.

And there are just that many bon bons a fat rich Palestinian woman can eat sitting in Paris.

Suha should organize a volunteer mission to Aceh with the other wives of Arab potentates (living or dead), where they can get down and dirty and distribute bottles of clean water and much needed sustenance.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:22 am

"Suha should organize a volunteer mission to Aceh with the other wives of Arab potentates (living or dead), where they can get down and dirty and distribute bottles of clean water and much needed sustenance."

Hell will freeze over first....twice.
E pur si muove -Galileo

yyz717

Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:26 am

The following article in Canada's national newspaper today highlights the disgracefully low tsumani assistance by Muslim nations. It's shameful.

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=62c028ec-db07-41a0-8d40-dd9266e54a9f

Where is Muslim relief effort?

Steven Edwards
National Post

January 5, 2005

AT THE UNITED NATIONS - The destruction wrought by last week's tsunami is in many ways an Islamic tragedy, given that the worst affected country is Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim nation.

It is also a tragedy that has directly affected many households in the oil-rich Arab countries, the workplaces of cooks and maids and chauffeurs from tsunami-ravaged Sri Lanka and India.

But aid from Arab and other Muslim countries has barely registered a blip.

While the West has pledged hundreds of millions of dollars, receipts from the Arab and the Muslim world have been in the tens of millions.

This is despite record-high oil prices over the past year that have swelled the treasuries of the oil-exporting states.

Kuwait, for example, has offered just US$10-million of its US$10-billion windfall budget surplus for 2004.

More than half the emirate's workers are people from South Asia who do the menial jobs Kuwaiti citizens disdain, toiling in factories, shops and homes.

But the local newspaper Al Qabas had to remind heads of Kuwaiti households they should consider asking their domestic help if they would like to call home to see which family members are dead or missing.

Saudi Arabia, the world's largest oil exporter, has pledged just US$30-million. The kingdom has had ample spare cash over the years to fund Wahhabi mosques and schools, where clerics preach hatred against non-believers, Christian and Jewish Westerners being the prime targets.

The United Arab Emirates has pledged US$20-million, while Qatar has offered US$25-million.

"It is an embarrassment that they have not offered more, especially because there have been so many Muslim victims, and because it is quite possible Kuwaitis or others have employees from South Asia who personally lost family," said Dr. Mohamed Elmasry, national president of the Canadian Islamic Conference (CIC).

"But the donations announced so far may be increased, because the initial offers from Canada and other countries was small to begin with."

Canada first announced a US$1-million pledge, but quickly boosted that as estimates of the death toll rose dramatically -- its current pledge is US$80-million. The United States has committed US$350-million and is also sending massive military forces to the region to help with aid efforts.

The biggest donor so far is Japan, which has pledged 25% of the international total of US$2-billion, while the European Union has set aside US$581-million.

Yussef Kanaan, a senior member of the 57-member Organization of the Islamic Conference, said the West started being generous only after Jan Egeland, the chief emergency co-ordinator for the United Nations, labelled it "stingy" last week.

"It took that harsh statement," he said.

But he stopped short of agreeing the rich Muslim countries should also be branded "stingy" to encourage them to pony up.

"We sent a letter out to all member states last week asking for assistance and donations," he said from his office in New York.

"I don't have any information on the response, but we express the hope that member states will come forward and play a bigger role."

Al Qabas was not as reluctant as Mr. Kanaan to speak out. In an editorial last week, it argued Kuwait's poor response to the tsunami relief effort meant the country deserved its wider reputation for stinginess.

It reminded readers their South Asian workers were as much responsible for the country's economic success as oil revenues.

The West and other countries also came to Kuwait's aid a little more than a decade ago to free the country from Iraqi occupation. That effort cost Western blood as well as money.

The newspaper commentary created an uproar, with some Kuwaiti officials blaming the West for not allowing Kuwaitis to give.

They argued many Arab countries have closed charities under pressure from the United States because of suspicion they were financing terrorism. This left fewer places to make donations.

Another excuse is that Arab countries lack the communication skills found in the West, so have had difficulty in publicizing what they are doing.

But Arab and Muslim countries are rarely short of words at the United Nations when it comes to composing an annual slew of resolutions against Israel.

Canadian Muslims have been donating generously, but not getting any credit, said Wahida Valiante, the CIC's national vice-president.

"Every mosque in Toronto has been raising money consistently almost to the tune of $1-million ... but not one word has been mentioned in any of our newspapers," she said.

Perhaps the same could be said about the credit -- or lack of it -- Western countries receive in the Arab and Muslim world for their efforts. No matter what they do, they seem to remain the collective Great Satan.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:37 am

"Yussef Kanaan, a senior member of the 57-member Organization of the Islamic Conference, said the West started being generous only after Jan Egeland, the chief emergency co-ordinator for the United Nations, labelled it "stingy" last week.

"It took that harsh statement," he said.

But he stopped short of agreeing the rich Muslim countries should also be branded "stingy" to encourage them to pony up."

What an a$$hole....honestly...how hypocritical can you possibly be??
E pur si muove -Galileo

rjpieces

Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:28 am

I started a new thread with these articles and it was deleted because of the double post, so here they are again.

Two interesting articles; I only posted the interesting parts of them but I suggest reading them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/08/opinion/08bergen.html?oref=login&oref=login

AROUND the Islamic world it is common currency that Muslims are perpetual victims of Western and Zionist conspiracies. The bill of particulars includes the handling of prisoners at Guantánamo Bay, Israel's inequitable treatment of the Palestinians, and the deaths of thousands of civilians in Iraq - as a result first of United Nations sanctions after the Persian Gulf war, and more recently of the American occupation. The most articulate spokesman of such views is, of course, Osama bin Laden.

Yet when Muslims are suffering, it is usually the West, and often the United States, that takes the lead in helping. For instance, when the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan in 1979, Washington mounted its largest covert aid program since Vietnam to help the Afghan resistance; when Somalis were starving in the early 1990's, President George H. W. Bush sent 25,000 American troops to help relief efforts; when Serbs were massacring Bosnian Muslims in the mid-1990's President Bill Clinton (belatedly) directed the United States Air Force to bomb Serbian positions, which led to the Dayton accords.

This anemic effort on the part of the richest countries is emblematic of a wider political problem in the Islamic world. For all of the invocations by Muslim leaders of the ummah, or the global community of believers, they typically do little to help their fellow Muslims in times of crisis.

Arab leaders and their toothless talking shops like the Arab League and the Organization of the Islamic Conference are excellent at denouncing problems in Palestine and Iraq, but most stood silent as a million died in the war between Iraq and Iran during the 1980's. When President Hafez al-Assad of Syria massacred some 20,000 people after an Islamist uprising in the city of Hama in 1982, there were no expressions of outrage from the Islamic Conference. Egypt routinely tortures political prisoners, untroubled by fears that other Arab leaders will seriously condemn such actions.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11894914%5E7583,00.html

Michael Schumacher has given $US10 million.

For purposes of comparison, Herr Schumacher's donation is the same as that of oil-rich Kuwait. As for even oil-richer Iran, its Government has earmarked $US627,000 for disaster relief.

For purposes of further comparison, that's barely a twentieth of what was raised at the Sydney Opera House concert this weekend. Today's all-star cricket match between a World XI and an Asian XI at the MCG will do more for the beleaguered Muslims of Banda Aceh than Libya, Syria and Egypt combined.

In fairness to the Saudis, they've just upped their pledge to $US30 million. But for purposes of one final comparison, consider this: a single Saudi telethon in 2002 managed to raise $US56 million. That was for widows and orphans of Palestinian suicide bombers, those deceased as well as those yet to blow. It seems nothing gets the wealthy elite of Riyadh and Jeddah adding the zeroes to the cheques like self-detonating on an Israeli bus.

Yet the deaths of 100,000 members of the club in Banda Aceh alone isn't enough to catch the eye of the big shots in the Arab world. The Arab world's principal contribution these past two weeks has been the usual paranoia: "Was it caused by American, Israeli and Indian nuclear testing?" wondered Mahmoud Bakri in the Egyptian weekly Al Usbu. "The three most recent tests appeared to be genuine American and Israeli preparations to act together with India to test a way to liquidate humanity."
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:59 am

There's also a major editorial in the WSJ ripping them a new one....rightly so.

http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB110531822787421236,00.html?mod=opinion%5Fmain%5Fcommentaries

"The defining moment came early in the crisis, when a weeping man in Aceh, Indonesia's isolated and most militantly Muslim province on the northern tip of Sumatra, sobbed to a CNN interviewer: "Where is America?" Ordinary people often understand underlying patterns of power better than most intellectuals. This grief-stricken Acehnese was not accusing America but offering an object lesson in how the world, especially Asia, really works. For he did not ask "Where is the U.N.?" Still less would it have occurred to him to cry: "Where is Saudi Arabia and the principle of international Islamic solidarity?""
E pur si muove -Galileo

British767

Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:18 am

All I would say is, it's better than nothing.

KWI

Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:10 pm

Hi Guys, Just so you're all aware, the State of Kuwait will actually be donating $100,000,000 (one hundred million dollars)...not so stingy, eh?

KWI