martinairyyz

One Of The Worst Decisions In Football History...

Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:05 am

Did anyone else smell the whole stadium stink of BS with MAn. U (I call 'em Man. Poo) against Tottenham, the ball was at least 1 metre in, clearly visible by the ref's assistant and the referee, and not given..... this is gone too far.

Spurs were denied a win over Manchester United in what will be one of the most controversial decisions in Premiership history, after Roy Carroll had clearly dropped the ball over the line in the last minute at Old Trafford.

Pedro Mendes had attempted to lob Carroll but the goalkeeper looked to have a simple catch.

Unbelievably, he dropped the ball and it dropped a good yard over the line but the linesman kept his flag down, and United were spared in dramatic circumstances.

GOAL^

Signed,
A guy who hates EPL refs.

[Edited 2005-01-04 23:15:48]
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

spinzels

RE: One Of The Worst Decisions In Football History...

Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:25 am

It has been a terrible four days for EPL refs, hasn't it? Between the mistakes in the Liverpool - Chelski match on Saturday and now this horrible call going against Spurs today.

The movement for video replay is clearly gaining momentum from these calls. Until today, I was against it, but now, I dunno...
I've been to Paradise, but I've never been to me

saintsman

Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:47 pm

The decision went the way of Man Ure. Did you expect anything else?

As for video replay, I would not be surprised to see them at the start of next season.

VonRichtofen

Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:04 pm

How many people died as a result of this one?

AGC525

Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:40 pm

What, no soccer goon riots?

Insane
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

Thom@s

Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:46 pm

(I call 'em Man. Poo)

Yeah you stick to that. Sounds really cool. Other suggestions are Liverfool and Arse-anal...  Insane

Anyway, bad decision indeed. (Not that I'm complaining) but there have been far too many slip ups from the referees the last couple of premiership rounds... They better get a grip. And bring in Collina... Big grin

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

zkjim

Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:06 pm

Thom@s

Nosferatu?! Good ref. Probably the best. Bloody scary. Hard as nails too.

Jimmy
My cat is a total spaz

Thom@s

Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:11 pm

This is what the goal looked like to the ref.

Can't blame him, but if the linesman had been in the right position, he would have spotted it. However, as th ball was on the midfield with the defence of Utd pushed forward, the linesman was in no position to spot that the ball was over the line...

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

jamotcx

Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:19 pm

Did anyone else smell the whole stadium stink of BS with MAn. U

There certainly was no stink, infact quite a nice fragrant smell at Old Trafford. Guess its all the new aftershave and perfume that people have had for xmas.

Anyways on a more serious note, how was
a) the ref able to see it
b) the linesmen able to see it

They were both out of position. Not ManUtd's fault there. The spurs fans all started celebrating, we all held our heads in our hands. And the players stoped playing, then the ref waved play on.

I really wish people would stop picking on my team, go pick on Arsenal or Chelsea instead. eg the stonewall penalty that Mr Riley decided not to give to Liverpool against Chelsea.

Jamo

gkirk

Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:27 pm

It's just part of the game...everyone should know by now that English ref's favour Man Ushited, Arseanal and Chelski
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

scotron11

RE: One Of The Worst Decisions In Football History

Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:30 pm

Agreed that some sort of "instant replay" should be deployed soon. Anyhow, "butterfingers" Carroll must be having nightmares about that one!

virgin744

Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:20 pm

Thom@s,
I disagree with your last point and pic about the view of the ref That is NOT what the goal would look like from the view of the ref- You seem to think he was a dwarf then!!!!  Yeah sure

Considering the normal height of a human being, and him standing anywhere around the centre circle he would have CLEARLY seen the goal line and thus EASILY see the ball cross it - by a whole metre!
Besides, both the ref AND the linesman should be sacked for that, there should be no excuses for doing a terrible job.

I dont know what your height is but even my pint-size at 5ft 6" I can easily see across the goal line from the centre circle.....

virgin744

jamotcx

Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:33 pm

Considering the normal height of a human being, and him standing anywhere around the centre circle he would have CLEARLY seen the goal line

Ok why dont you go stand on a football pitch and take a picture proving you can see the line.

The main TV camera at Highbury cant see the far touchline and thats elevated, so how can a ref on a halfway line see a goal line if he isnt elevated?  Confused

Jamo

Thom@s

Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:35 pm

First of all... Big grin

Second, I am not a dwarf, and nor was the ref.  Smile But if you can spot that ball over the line from 50 meters + away, even if it is slightsly higher up, then that would make you the best ref the world has ever seen.

Thom@s

yooyoo

Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:14 pm

Hmmmm......brings back memories of '66  Laugh out loud

They will never get it right in the UK  Innocent

Andreas  Big thumbs up
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

spinzels

Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:47 pm

I really wish people would stop picking on my team, go pick on Arsenal or Chelsea instead. eg the stonewall penalty that Mr Riley decided not to give to Liverpool against Chelsea.

What about when the aforementioned Mr Riley awarded ManU a pk off an egregious bit of Wayne Rooney play acting in the box against Arsenal? This nonsense with Spurs is only the latest installment of how ManU gets the Juventus treatment. And yet Fergie still whines like a child after every match.

We wouldn't pick on ManU if they didn't keep giving us so much reason to do so.

I've been to Paradise, but I've never been to me

saintsman

Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:05 pm

Actually a situation where TV evidence can be used today is in the case of Carroll who should be charged and banned for unsporting behaviour. He knew that the ball had crossed the line and it was blatent cheating not to own up. The referee should have asked him outright too because if he had said no it would have been a lie.

Of course Carroll could have said he was at the wrong angle.......

pilotaydin

Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:18 pm

holy shit that ball is way in!
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

oly720man

RE: One Of The Worst Decisions In Football History

Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:23 pm

Maradona and the hand of coke fiend
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

j.mo

Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:32 am

Oh, I thought you were talking about Ryan Leaf...sorry.

virgin744

Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:45 am

well I bet if it was Collina it would have been given a goal!  Yeah sure

On a side note - any ManUre supported here? Its rather shocking that on the front page of the Man U website it has a pic of Carrol and Howard and says "Discussion Board - Who would you pick?"

Can you just imaging if Carrol or Howard visits the website and sees the front page- Carrol must be thinking damn, even the club are asking supporters for their opinion on who to pick.
P.S Man U announce on the website that Carrol is replaced by Howard!

virgin744

Boeing7E7

Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:19 am

I thought you meant Football, not Soccer.

L-188

Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:01 pm

Agreed B7E7.

I figured that this was going to be a thread about the creation of the BCS.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

zkjim

Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:50 pm

Actually a situation where TV evidence can be used today is in the case of Carroll who should be charged and banned for unsporting behaviour.

You sound like Lawrie McMenemie.  Big grin
My cat is a total spaz

David_itl

Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:19 am

What about when the aforementioned Mr Riley awarded ManU a pk off an egregious bit of Wayne Rooney play acting in the box against Arsenal?

Strange how we are not thinking how Riley missed a cast-iron penalty when Ronaldo was brought down during that game: one penalty given when it shouldn't have been and one penalty not given when it should have been which leads to the net result that Man Utd "got" the penalty they deserved as they say decisions even themselves over time!

David