dl021

Who And What? Your Favorite Author/book.

Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:40 am

Who is your favorite author and which of his/her books did you enjoy the best?

It does not have to be a full book, it could be short stories as well

I found it very difficult to choose, so I cheated and chose some from different genres.

Shakespeare is my favorite poet and playwrite. I have kept a copy of his sonnets with me since it was gifted to me at age 18. The pride of my library are my 8 different bindings and collections of his complete works. My favorite work is still Hamlet, followed by The Taming of the Shrew..or As You Like It. I particularly enjoyed sonnet 34 but would be hard pressed to choose my favorite.

Twain is my favorite pre-modern storyteller and novelist. It was difficult as I wanted to choose Verne, Wells, Voltaire, Moliere, Dostoevsky and a half dozen others but there it is. I empathized with the characters and felt that those adventures were ones I could have had in that same era. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court is my favorite, but thats no dis towards Tom and Huck.

Of modern storytelling I have found WEB Griffin (William E. Butterworth) to write the most engaging stories and the most consistent. I like Clancy, Archer, Hammett, and Cussler among plenty of others. Griffins original Brotherhood of War series is my favorite of his writings.

Honorable mention goes to Mankind for Tietam Brown.

What do you guys like?

[Edited 2005-01-09 01:40:37]
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

TUNisia

RE: Who And What? Your Favorite Author/book.

Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:05 am

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn - Betty Smith

Earth As It Is In Heaven - Roman Genesis
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

NoUFO

Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:16 am

The Cider House Rules - by John Irving

Die Geschichte von Herrn Sommer - by Patrick Süskind (text) and Jean-Jacques Sempe (illustrations). (Obviously not available in English. Pity.)
I support the right to arm bears

KBOS

Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:11 pm

Airport - Arthur Hailey, one of the few movies that was as good as the book.

The Perfect Storm - Sebastian Junger, pretty good movie as well but the book was much better
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

ANCFlyer

Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:15 pm

Tom Clancy, Michael D. DeMurcurio, Dale Brown, Patrick Robinson . . . .

All are fantastic. Can't put a finger on which I like best . . . actually met Tom Clancy - twice. He did a book signing in 1998 in DC . . . and later that evening, I was at the O'Club on Ft. Myer and he was there with Gen Franks. Interesting man. Chain smokes Marlboroughs and likes Scotch whisky.

Good thread, hard call . . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Palm90

Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:52 pm

For me, there are three books that I have read more than 2 times:

Blind Trust: How Deregulation Has Jeopardized Airline Safety - by John J. Nance

The Nine Nations of North America - Joel Garreau

Coconut Grove - Edward Keyes
We're through the looking glass here, people. White is black and black is white.

ClassicLover

Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:40 pm

Favourite books -

The Empire Trilogy by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts. I am not a big fan of the "fantasy" genre, but these three books are awesome! Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire and Mistress of the Empire.

Garden of Beasts by Jeffrey Deaver is also brilliant.

Also Robert Harris, Clive Cussler, Wilbur Smith and Arthur Hailey all have a great canon of work.

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

ZKSUJ

Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:33 pm

I don't read much, but at the moment it is Anita Shreeve and 'the pilots wife'

AzoresLover

Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:01 pm

Among the living fiction authors -

Top of my list would be Clive Cussler...I've read every one of his books, starting back with "The Mediterranean Caper".

Deceased fiction authors -

My all-time favorite fiction author is Alistair MacLean. That man could spin the most exciting stories, and had such a unique style of writing, and describing things, that it was always wonderful to pick up a new book of his, read the first few paragraphs, and feel like..."Ah, Alistair MacLean!" Such fun reading his books!
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

NKP S2

Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:51 pm

PJ O'Rourke- 'Parliment of Whores'

Thomas Sowell- 'A Vision of the Annointed'.

xpat

Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:18 pm

These are favorites from the following authors. In no special order

John Irving-"A Prayer for Owen Meany"
Rohinton Mistry-"A Fine Balance"
Anne Patchett-"The Magician's Assistant"
Arundhati Roy-"The God of Small Things"
Jhumpa Lahiri-"Interpreter of Maladies" (short story collection)
Pat Conroy-"The Prince of Tides"
Hanif Kureishi-"The Buddha of Suburbia"
James Michener-"The Covenant" and so many more
M.G. Vassanji-"The In Between Life of Vikram Lall" (reading currently)
etc.
The only thing we have to fear is the sky falling on our heads. -Asterix

XNV

Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:26 am

Letters to a Young Poet - Ranier Maria Rilke
Some say it's a trite coming of age book but I like what it says about patience and understanding. I quote it on occasion. "Perhaps all of the dragons in our lives are merely princesses waiting for someone, just once, to act with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything we fear is something that genuinely needs our love." (The exact wording depends on who did the translations from German, some are much more poetic than others.)

Fugitive Pieces - Ann Michaels
An incredibly rich, poetic, beautiful book by this Canadian Author. If you like Michael Ondaatje's style of writing (The English Patient, In the Skin of a Lion) you will enjoy this piece.

Lucifer's Hammer - Larry Niven
An interesting book about a comet hitting the Earth and what really becomes important when money has no value - survival, practical skills, and strong leadership.

I agree with Xpat - A Prayer for Owen Meaney is a great book also. I had a hard time putting it down when I read it.

Thom@s

Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:18 am

Hmmm, haven't read too many books, but on my list would be:

Knut Hamsun - "Sult"

J.R.R Tolkien - "Lord of the Rings"

Can't remember name for some reason, please help - "Hitchikers guide to the galaxy"

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

dl021

Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:30 am

Great responses.

Hitchhikers Guide was written by Douglas Adams, recently deceased.

A work of philosophy that was to novellas what Calvin and Hobbes was to comics.

Thom@s

Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:37 am

That's it! I knew it had Adams in it...  Smile

Easy to forget, but a brilliant man.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

bravo7e7

Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:14 am

Right now it would be Ann Coulter, with "How to talk to a liberal if you must."

salso

Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:10 am

John Grisham - everyone of his books actually. I have them all in my bookshelves. At the moment I'm reading "The King of Torts"

Many many many works by Stephen King - "Cadillac 8", "Langoliers", "the Library Policeman" etc.

Sue Townsend - The Queen and I

Michael Ende - "Neverending Story" I've liked the book and the movie since I was a child.

Margaret Atwood - "Surfacing"

lamedianaranja

Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:16 am

All have been mentioned before but sooo good:
Wilbur Smith, James Michener, JJR Tolkien, PD James.
I love it when I discover an 'old' writer, so that when I like the book I can go to the library and get all his books and don't have to wait for the next one to come out.
This happened to me recently with Dick Francis and now I'm heavily into Ruth Rendell//Barbara Vine.
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

Jalto27R

Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:23 am

Michael Chrichton-Airframe. I owe one to you Vik  Big grin

karan69

Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:27 am

There are many and difficult to choose one from so much time of reading, but the most recent ones which i read and really change the way one looks at things.
DaVinchies Code
Mein Kamph-Adolf Hitler
Timeline

Vulindlela

Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:59 am

My favorite author is Somerset Maugham. "Of Human Bondage" is my favorite book of his. Some other writers I like are:
Anthony Burgess
Irvine Welsh
Knut Hamsun

I also must mention Alexandre Dumas, even though I have read only one book of his. The original, unabridged version of "The Count of Monte Christo" is a close second for my favorite book. Anybody else like these?

-Kevin
"If you take everything I've accomplished in my entire life and condense it down into 1 day, it looks decent!"

dl021

Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:42 am

THis is great...

I've gotten some great ideas for books I have yet to read, and even some authors I'd not heard about yet.

DId someone actually mention Mein Kampf?

UAL747

Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:02 am

"The Painted Bird" by Jerzy Koscinsky.....

Great stuff about a Polish boy during WWII. Very graphic though. Shows the effects of war on a society. It portrays how people almost turn animalistic and how their superego and ego fall prey to their id. Read this my first year at Boston University and the extreme imagery and sadistic and sexual violence still sticks in my mind.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

duke

Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:23 am

Alice('s Adventures) in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.

Logan22L

Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:55 am

UAL - God, The Painted Bird is truly one of the most horrific books ever written. I am usually quite immune to the effects of graphic movies, books, etc., but I had nightmares for weeks after reading it. Especially the brutality inflicted on "Stupid Ludmilla."

Anyway, my choices:

Anything by Charles Bukowski. Truly the greatest American poet, and a master of dialogue. For poetry, "Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame" Selected Poems 1955-1973; for prose, "Post Office"; for short stories, "Hot Water Music." I have all 38 of his books that are currently available in print.

John Fante - "Wait Until Spring, Bandini", and everything else he wrote.

Fyodor Dostoeyevski: "Crime and Punishment," "Notes From Underground"

JLF Celine - "Journey to the End of the Night"

Albert Camus - "The Plague," "A Happy Death"

Kerouac - "Desolation Angels" "Dharma Bums"

Vladimir Nabokov - "Invitation to a Beheading"

Alexandr Solzynitsin - "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich"

Sylvia Plath - "The Bell Jar"

Anthony Burgess - "A Clockwork Orange"

Henry Miller - "Tropic of Cancer" "Tropic of Capricorn"

James Dickey - "Dileverance" "Buckdancer's Choice"

on and on...

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

VSlover

Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:14 am

well a few off the top of the list:

absolute faves:
metamorphoses by ovid
the odyssey by homer
a midsummer nights dream by shakespeare

more contemporary:
all of brett easton ellis's books
a million little pieces by james frey (excellent first hand account of a recovering drug addict)
the joy luck club by amy tan

UAL747

Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:22 am

"UAL - God, The Painted Bird is truly one of the most horrific books ever written. I am usually quite immune to the effects of graphic movies, books, etc., but I had nightmares for weeks after reading it. Especially the brutality inflicted on "Stupid Ludmilla." "

Was this the event where a bottle was filled with urine, dirt, among other things, and shoved into the vagina of a woman, and then hit so it would break to peaces inside of her? Or was Ludmilla the woman he stayed with for a while that caught on fire? It's been a while since I've read it.

I remember also that there was an extreme faction of the Nazis, or something to that effect, that came into a town and raped in a pillaged. They murdered and killed, had sex with anything that moved, and even had homosexual sex between each of them.

Crazy stuff.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

dl021

Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:27 am

vslover...was there another metamorphosis other than that of Kafka?

I would like to know what Ovid wrote about in that one, as he was an ancient Roman poet, and very popular then as well as now.

I may be having a brain cramp, and just cannot remember this.

Can you please post a synopsis to jog the old memory?

[Edited 2005-01-10 18:29:56]

VSlover

Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:39 am

sure thing. ovid's metamorphoses is more an epic poem. he writes of a series of mythological tales (think back to your greek mythological figures) and all stories (chapters) are linked by the common theme of transformation.

men and women find themselves changed into new and sometimes extraordinary beings, and the stories cover figures such as daedalus and icarus, pyramus and thisbe, pygmalion, perseus, narcissus and andromeda, and the fall of Troy. i have read this book probably a dozen times and never tire of it.

Sabena332

Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:48 am

Today I received "My Life" by Bill Clinton (original English version), I will start reading within the next few days.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

VSlover

Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:53 am

well be sure to tell us in 2006 when you ge around to finishing it Sabena.

Logan22L

Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:54 am

UAL: Yup, you had it right the first time; I think the men kicked at the bottle until in broke inside of her. I remember every orifice in my body puckering tightly shut as I read that scene. I think the woman who caught on fire was was an older woman who died in her sleep. It's been a while since I've read it also, but I am a big fan of reading certain books every 3-4 years or so. The Painted Bird is one of those.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

dl021

Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:57 am

vs...of course...I knew I was having an egregious case of dain bramage here.

thanks.

Patrick....make sure you have a plentiful supply of coffee and nodoz prior to reading that book. The man has led a fascinating life, but he takes forever to tell the story.

[Edited 2005-01-10 18:57:53]

Sabena332

Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:05 am

The man has led a fascinating life, but he takes forever to tell the story.

Ian,

you are correct, the book has almost 1000 pages, seems that I will need a few weeks or even months until I read it completely.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

desertjets

Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:10 am

Of all the books that I have read, and have semi-read, the one that still sticks out for me is "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller.

The early scene where Yossarian is in the hospital charged with censoring outgoing mail. One day he blacks out all the adjectives, the next day all the verbs and so on.

I suppose the reason why I like it so much was due to the fact that I was able to read it cover to cover and not be bored. I am hardly what you would call a voracious reader, and any book that I can get into and read all the way through is a good book.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Tom in NO

Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:23 am

Clive Cussler: the entire Dirk Pitt series

Anything by Arthur Hailey; "Airport", "Hotel", "Runway 08", etc.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

VSlover

Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:11 am

speaking of books--has anyone read "naked airport" by alastair gordon?

it is by no means a fantastic book, but it covers the history of airport architecture and posits that the airport is the most significant structure that has shaped our culture.

it does have some very good background history on airlines and airports and was an easy read--for this crowd, i would recommend it.

dl021

Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:13 am

DEsertjets....if you enjoyed that try Slaughterhouse 5 by Vonnegut (or anything by him).

dl021

chrisdigo

Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:20 am

My favorite author would be Jules Verne. This year is actually the "centenaire" celebration of his death (03/24/1905). He is one of the most prolyfic author and one of the most translated worldwide. Roughly he wrote fifty-four novels as the "Voyages Extraordinaires", more than 60 short stories, 3 Geographical and historical books, 7 essays and some plays and poems.

I've not read yet his entire work but I'm managing to do so. (as for the "Voyages Extraordinaires" and the short stories). From to ones I already read, my favorite would be "From the Earth to the Moon" published in 1865.

Other than Verne, I also have to manage to read the main work of A. Dumas (the Valois trilogy, the mousquetaires trilogy, Le Comte de Monte-Cristo). Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men" is also one of my favorite book.

desertjets

Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:30 am

DL021 -- Read "Slaughterhouse Five" as well. Pretty good book, just doesn't stick out as strongly as "Catch-22" did.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

dl021

Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:47 am

And thats what makes the world go round.

I often refer to books like I do anything else when I hear criticism of any kind, constructive or destructive......one mans canoe is anothers yacht.

Chrisdigo....there is a new publication out now, taken from an unpublished manuscript found by some member of his family in his things after his death.

I will find the title and post it for you. Verne helped create the modern fabulist genre.

photolppt

Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:03 am

Tom Clancy - the Ryan series. Currently reading the Teeth of the Tiger, staring Jack Ryan jr. and his two cousins.
Philip K. Dick - The books from Dune.
Sir Arthur C. Clark - 2001, 2010, 2061 and 3001.
Dan Brown, Jules Verne, Tolkien and Clive Clusser also.

I am quite surprised no one mentioned the late Dr. Carl Sagan yet. Cosmos and Contact are two works of a genius, each in its style.

Regards
Luis

qr332

Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:36 am

My favourite author is John Grisham, and I epsecially love "The Chamber", but my favourite book has to be The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, the logic of it is amazing, and it is an excellent story.

Harlan Coben is also pretty good, i've read both his bestsellers "Tell No One" and "Gone For Good", both definatley worth the read.
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

dl021

Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:52 am

QR332....do you read these in English or are they translated to another language? I wonder how much is lost in the translation.

I ask because I have read works in English, German and French and each translation seems to change the meaning ever so slightly.

Look at St. Exupery (forgive me for not including him here earlier, and shame on all of us for forgetting this man, or Ernie Gann) and Le Petite Prince for an example.

SPREE34

Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:56 am

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

Soku39

Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:04 am

JD Salinger - Catcher in the Rye

love it
The Ohio Player

qr332

Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:13 pm

Dl021,
QR332....do you read these in English or are they translated to another language? I wonder how much is lost in the translation.

English, DL. I speak English as a second language, but I study it as a first language. A book isn't as good as the original if it is translated, so I don't usually like reading translations.
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

SAS_A330-300

Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:44 pm

William Golding - Lord of the Flies (he got the Noble prize because of this one...)

Reading for the moment: Anthony Beevor - Stalingrad
You know the gear is up when it takes full power to taxi

QANTASforever

Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:10 pm

Gaston Leroux - "Le fantôme de l'opéra"

Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

qr332

Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:03 am

SAS_A330-300,
Dont remind me lol! I have an English Literature exam next week and the main topic is this book along with pre-1914 poetry  Sad. Although I have to admit, the book is very good and his true intentions in writing it seem to be much more than a tale of boys and an island.