MSN Messenger Testing Scenarios
· Conversations – Learn how to make your conversations more interesting with new features such as Nudge and Winks.
· Customize Your Conversations - Get even more out of your conversations by customizing these features to reflect your personality.
· Get Things Done More Efficiently – Save time with new feature shortcuts.
New trouble shooting features
Messenger team has added several new features to help with trouble shooting.
Once you have downloaded the new messenger please turn these features on to add more quality information to all of your technical bugs. Running MSN
Messenger 7.0 beta will automatically create a text file called “MsnMsgr.txt” on your desktop. When you report a bug please attach this file to your bug report.
To help with any issues you find while doing these test scenarios please turn on the Quality Improvement and Connection Logging settings.
1. Go to Tools>Options
2. Select the General section
3. Check the checkbox under “Quality improvement”
Verify that the Connection Logging feature is turned on.
4. Select the Connection section
5. click Advanced Settings
6. Check the “Save a log of my Server Connections to help trouble shoot connection Problems” check box.
7. Click Ok
8. Click Ok again
Test Contacts: If you do not have a friend on the beta, please go to the newsgroups and find a contact with whom to complete the following scenarios.
Customize and Personalize Your On-Line Image
Contact Cards – Allow you to create an enhanced on-line persona for your contacts to view.
Contact cards are a new way of sharing information with your contacts.
Please see if you can find contact cards for both your self and your contacts.
How many ways can you find to access contact cards?
Set Status Before login (AKA Anonymous Sign-In) – Set your status before signing in.
1. Click the status to the right of Sign in as.
2. Select a status and sign in, (be sure to try Appear offline)
3. Sign in
4. Confirm with your test contact that the settings display correctly
5. Set your status to on-line and verify that your account displays as On-Line to your test contacts
Display Picture – Personalize your image with a picture
1. Click on your Display Picture.
2. Select Change my Display Picture.
3. Select a regular picture or download a deluxe picture by selecting Create a Dynamic Display Picture (this feature may not be consistently available as server configuration changes are made.)
4. Sign out and sign back in to MSN
5. Start a conversation and ensure that your contact saw your Display Picture in the toast upon sign-in, in Messenger, and also in the conversation window.
Drag and Drop Display Pictures – Quickly customize your Display Picture
1. Drag a picture from any folder directly on top of your Display Picture.
2. Ensure that your Display Picture displays correctly.
3. Initiate a conversation with your test contact and ensure the new Display Picture displays correctly.
Drag and Drop Backgrounds and Display Pictures During a Conversation – Quickly customize your current conversation windows with different backgrounds and Display Pictures
1. Start a conversation with one of your test contacts.
2. Drag a picture from any folder directly on top of your Display Picture.
3. Release the button and your Display Picture will update to the new picture.
4. Drag the picture to an empty spot on the background of the conversation window and verify that the background will update.
5. Share your background with your test contact by clicking Actions and Share the Current Background.
6. Verify that the current background is correctly shared.
Sending an Invitation to a New Contact
1. Click Add a Contact under Contacts : Add a Contact.
2. Select Create a new contact from an e-mail address
3. Type in a fellow Beta Tester’s email and click Next
4. Click the checkbox and type in an invitation message in the text box to accompany your invitation
5. Click Next and Finish
6. Verify that the recipient received and can accept the invitation
Initiate a Conversation – Practice the many ways to start an instant messaging conversation
1. Select an online contact and verify that you can initiate a conversation via the following mechanisms
2. Click Actions and select Send an Instant Message
3. Right-click on your test contact and select Send an Instant Message
4. Right-click on your test contact, select View Contact Card, and click the “Send an IM
Nudge – Get a contact’s attention quickly by sending a Nudge
1. Verify that you have Nudge activated by selecting Tools>Options>Messages and ensure that the Allow people to send me Nudges box is checked
2. Start a conversation
3. From the conversation window click on Actions and select Send a Nudge
4. Verify that your test contact receives the Nudge and that the conversation window is brought to the front
5. Try other ways of sending a nudge including the button.
Send a Wink – Send animated images to your contacts to get their attention
1. Verify that you have Winks activated
2. Select Tools>Options>Messages and ensure that the Play Winks box is checked
3. Start a conversation
4. From the conversation window click on Actions and select Send a Wink
5. Verify that your test contact receives the Wink
6. Invite additional contacts to your conversation and verify that all conversation contacts receive winks.
Message History & Message Recall –
Keeps a history of your previous conversations Pre-populates the message window with the previous conversation threads.
1. Go to Tools>Options
2. Select Messages from the left pane
3. Under Message History check the boxes for:
1. Automatically keep a history of my conversations
2. Show my last conversation in new conversation window
4. Click OK
5. Start a conversation with your test contact.
6. Close the conversation window.
7. Have your test contact resend you another message.
8. Verify that the previous conversation text is displayed.
9. Close the conversation window.
10. Initiate a new conversation with your test contact and verify that the previous conversation text is displayed.
11. Start a conversation with your test contact, chat and then close the window
12. Open the window again, the last lines of the conversation should appear grayed out.
13. Click File and select View Message History.
14. Verify that the message history is displayed.
15. Verify that no message history is displayed for contacts with which you have not had a conversation.
Customize Your Conversation
Create Animated Custom Emoticons – Create animated custom emoticons to enhance your conversations
1. If you do not have graphics on your computer to use, please skip to the Quick Search test scenario and search the web for free clip-art and/or animations.
2. Click Tools>My Emoticons, then click Create.
3. Click Find Image and search for the image you want to use
4. Create a keyboard shortcut for your emoticon
5. Type a name for your emoticon
6. Click Ok and OK
7. Initiate a conversation with your test contact
8. Select your new emoticon from the drop-down list
9. Ensure that it displays correctly for your contact.
10. Now send the emoticon by typing in the keyboard shortcut you created
in Step 4.
11. Verify that the shortcut works correctly.
Get Things Done More Efficiently
Search – Quickly search the Internet directly from your IM
1. Click on the integrated search bar on the bottom of your screen
2. Type in a topic and click Search...
3. Verify that the results are displayed in a new browser window
4. Start a conversation with a contact.
5. Select text from the conversation
6. right clink on the selected text
7. Select Search the Web from the menu
8. Search results should open in a new browser window
(Try this with different internet browsers.)
Try improved audio
If you have a microphone please try the following scenario.
1. Start a conversation
2. Click Audio
3. Follow the steps through the tuning wizard.
4. Have a conversation and an IM
at the same time
Thats is what is said in my MS
Beta page for MSN
Beta. I would of direct linked to the page but I dont think anyone here has access.
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.