LifelinerOne
Topic Author

European City-Break: Where To?

Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:09 pm

Hello!!

I want to take the girlfriend on a short city break. We are flying from either London Stanted or Luton as she lives in the UK for a year.

Any good tips on nice cities? I want to visit some city outside the usual Barcelona, Nice thing.

Thanks for the help!!

Cheers!
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes

JRadier

RE: European City-Break: Where To?

Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:28 pm

Prague is a beautifull city, and I think there are some good low cost connections there. Just beware of the pickpockets tho.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

LO231

Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:56 am

I flew on Ryanair from CLR to Pisa - nice city for a weekend, close to Florence, too, if you want to combine. And perfect weatherwise, good food etc.

Regards,
Peter
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

cragley

Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:14 am

I say Berlin!! Awesome city with loads to do.

You could also do Prague or Riga as they are both cheap destinations.

Ready4Pushback

Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:25 am

My first choice is Amsterdam - but I guess that's not actually going away for you!  Wink/being sarcastic I love that place.

I agree with JRadier, Prague is a really good break - I recommend it.

EGGD

Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:28 am

Barcelona! It was the last European City I visited on a short break and I found it fantastic.. Nowhere I have been quite captured the atmosphere there, not in Europe at least. It is a beautiful city that is easy to get around, is friendly with great food and good accomodation. I would recommend Barcelona over any other European City!

Pe@rson

Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:32 am

All the aforementioned places are far too touristy for my liking, so I'd choose somewhere less so, like VLC, OPO, BFS, TRN, SZG (a bit touristy, but the city itself wouldn't be busy during the off-season), LIG, FNI, etc. My next trip, after VLC, will certainly be LIG - a town considered to be the 'real France' and which is not - yet - spoilt by tourism.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

MIAspotter

Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:35 am

I completely agree with EGDD about Barcelona! I am madly in love with that city, highly recommended.

Prague I heard is very nice too, and don't forget Poland!

Cheers

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

TUNisia

Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:47 am

Is Wannsee open 365 days a year in Berlin?
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

NoUFO

Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:02 am

Sure it is, I wouldn't recommend taking a bath on days like this, though.  Smile
I support the right to arm bears

Tobi3334

Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:13 am

Hi

I recommend you Munich. I was there two times and I like it a lot, especially in the summer. Nice parks and nice bars there and many nice buildings from the past.

Please feel free to ask me if you need further informations.

Greetings
Tobi

LifelinerOne
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:14 am

Ready4Pushbak,

I love Amsterdam aswell, but I'm born there and I've lived there for 22 years! But I still enjoy a weekend over there!

I now live in Groningen, which is a lot smaller than Amsterdam, but very, very nice! I'm not that old and the city is crowded with nice (female) students...

To bad, there's now LCC service to Lisbon. Been there once and it's stuck in my memory to be a nice place.

Anyone out there ever been to Madrid? How's that?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Cheers!

Ready4Pushback

Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:17 am

Never been, but I've heard alot of really good things about it. A couple of my mates would recommend Madrid.

NoUFO

Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:19 am

Well, since LifelinerOne explicitly excluded Barcelona, things are getting a bit difficult.

Smaller, not so wellknown cities: Freiburg im Breisgau, Aix en Provence, Ljiubliana and many Italian cities.

Midsize: How about Vienna with a daytrip to Budapest? Florence? Lisbon? Barcelona? Big grin

Big: Rome! Paris! Berlin (?). Edit: Never been to Madrid, but heard only good things. Some say Barcelona's better.

[Edited 2005-01-10 20:21:21]

gkirk

Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:29 am

Why not try Newcastle and combine it with a trip to Glasgow and Edinburgh also? Newcastle for the shopping/drinks etc, Edinburgh for all the touristic stuff and Glasgow just for the hell of it?  Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

NoUFO

Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:40 am

Glasgow just for the hell of it

For the hell of what? To drive over to Loch Lommond (which indeed is nice)? Big grin

gkirk

Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:47 am

NoUFO, Loch Lomond was only good because Take The High Road was filmed there  Laugh out loud
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

LifelinerOne
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:54 am

Well, since LifelinerOne explicitly excluded Barcelona, things are getting a bit difficult.

Well, Barcelona is nice, but we've been there, done that... Big grin

Cheers!

Anton.

aerorobnz

Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:43 pm

Prague was cheap, and picturesque but I don't particularly recommend it. I'd go to Venice or Paris personally.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

ba757

Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:59 pm

I also recommend Munich. I really love that city, Olympic Park is nice to walk around on a nice sunny day.

A little off topic, has anyone been to Florence? Whats it like? I ask because I am actually going to live in Florence for a year, yet I have no idea what the place is like - I have been thinking about taking a city break there.

Adam

EZYAirbus

Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:42 pm

If you looking to go away and have a great time, the nightlife in Bratislava is meant to be awesome, and is very very cheap, also Budapest and Warsaw, easyJet got a sale on at the moment and all 3 destinations are £24.98 return!! Be quick though sale ends midnight tonight!!

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

RJ100

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:29 pm

You should fly to BSL from STN or LTN and then either visit Basel (lots of nice buildings, large variety of museums and other cultural stuff) or go to the nearby beautiful Black Forest in Germany. Or you can visit some parts of Alsace/France, it's a very nice region. What about "route du vin", it's a street that goes all the way through the wine villages and you could stop everywhere to try it out Big grin

Regards,
RJ100
none

NoUFO

Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:15 am

RJ100: If Black Forest than please don't forget to visit Freiburg (at the risk of repeating myself).

BA757: It's a beautiful city in the heart of Tuscany, nice architecture from the Renaissance but less nightlife than bigger cities such as Milan. It's nice to climb on one of the surroundig hills and watch the sun set. I think, you'll like it there.

OO-VEG

Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:44 am

- Stockholm. Really laidback and very beautifull.
- Berlin. Interesting, busy & big.
- Barcelona. Yes, it's where everyone goes to, but it has a reason.

LifelinerOne
Topic Author

Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:29 am

Stockholm. Really laidback and very beautifull.

Yes, it is... But I had waaaay much nicer times in Stockholm when I was single... I can't remember a city where there were so many pretty girls.

Ahhhh... Stockholm.... Big grin

Cheers!

Christa

Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:59 am

STN-EDI-CWL-BFS-STN

That way you can visit all the capital cities of the UK.. I can assure you that both Cardiff and Edinburgh are really good places to visit with lots of attractions. However, I've never been to Belfast so I can't say anything about that. Could always go to DUB instead.

Regards,

Chris
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

BAViscount

Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:11 am

Doesn't look as though anyone's mentioned Tallinn, Estonia yet (unless I read the responses so fast that I missed it!). I spent three days in the Estonian capital last May and have to say that it's a great place. Has a lovely old town that is great for just strolling around, and brilliant if you're into photography (as I am). There are some really nice hotels there too (try the Unique Stay - it's great), and everything is currently dirt cheap. And if you should happen to get bored, you can easily hop on one of the fast ferries across to Helsinki, Finland for the day.

And, of course, easyJet fly to Tallinn from Stansted.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

neder99

Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:16 am

Reykjavik!
Iceland Express fly there twice daily from STN.
At least it's original... "honey, we're going to Iceland for the weekend!".
Doesn't sound bad eh?!

andz

Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:18 am

Prague, Budapest, and my favourite place in all of Europe: Freiburg im Breisgau. Take the cable car up Schauinsland or the train to Titisee, lots of nice pubs like Feierling or Isle of Innisfree (not German I know but an awesome whisky and whiskey selection) and don't forget Agar on a Thursday night for 70s and 80s music all night  Smile
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

BCNGRO

Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:59 am

I completely agree with Neder99!

Reykjavik is a great choice! It's beautiful, original, and you can fly from STN. But better go there in spring or summer, because right now it is a bit dark (and cold!) up there.

If you are planning to take the city break in winter I recommend you to go to the South. There is a wonderful island called Formentera which is just south of Ibiza. It has many spectacular beaches and it is little populated in winter. The island is only 16km long and has no airport. There are many places to stay and it is easily accessible by ship (there is a regular service from Ibiza and it takes just 1/2 an hour). More info: http://www.guiadeformentera.com

Regards,
BCNGRO
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

AMS

Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:25 am

Why not going to Dublin for a couple of days!, enjoy the Irish Pubs, Restaurants and the Irish Nature!

Regards,
AMS