Superfly
Topic Author

Another Victory For The Conservatives

Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:23 am

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050110/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_klan_highways

Of the judges that Robertson/Farwell were praying to God for there death, I wonder how they voted in this case.
Who'e side is God on in this case?
Bring back the Concorde

mdsh00

RE: Another Victory For The Conservatives

Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:40 am

Isn't this the same stretch of highway that Missouri renamed the Rosa Parks or Dr. MLK Highway in order to piss off the Klan?
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

dl021

Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:49 am

And here we go....

The KKK is repugnant in its goals, tactics, strategy, and history.

Their right to organize and express their views is expressly protected (not granted, but enumerated and protected) by the Constitution and Bill of Rights.....just like Fallwells, Robertsons, Jacksons, and mine and Fly's.

To deny them the right to participate in a public event due to their political stances and personal beliefs is illegal and would start us down a slippery slope.

Nothing says they can't be picketed.

interesting side story
I actually did some time in the Guard (while going to college) between RA active tours and we were called upon to separate the Klan from protestors in front of the capital building in downtown Atlanta. We had a guy named Johnson, a black dude, who had a pretty good sense of humor. The Klan somehow got the idea that we were there because we liked them, and they cheered upon our arrival in humvees and deuce and a halves. They were waving their American and Confederate standards and holding up signs....I looked at Johnson and then to my team leader (we were a LRS unit and were going to put up lp/op's to look for crowd organizers, Johnson was in my platoon but not on my team) and without asking for permission I inquired of Johnson whether it might be a good idea to wave back to our adoring fans. He agreed that this was a truly excellent idea and would be good for morale and for public relations. We waited in our covered humvee until the Klansmen were within good visual range of us and all dismounted the vehicle forming an honor guard. Everyone seemed to think we had someone important coming out.....and out came Johnson carrying his M-16 with his maroon beret (we were a jump unit) while the rest of us were wearing kevlars. There was dead silence from the crowd, and Johnson walked to the end of the honor guard line and waved with a no-shit Prince of Wales wave to the Klanners who immediately turned tail and walked away (I guess its tougher to hurl insults at armed soldiers than it is to do so at civilians...all bullies are cowards). IT was the funniest thing you ever saw in your life. Hosea Williams (civil rights activist) was there and had about been ready to explode when we first started to form up, but waited, as he had been a soldier and recognized that something wierd was happening. The CO came up just as we were falling into a regular formation to wait and wanted to know whether we had seen the commotion. We told him that people left the area just as we showed up and he reported (gleefully ignorant) that we had quelled a minor disturbance on the south lawn of the capital and were proceeding to deploy.

I say let the bastards talk all they want....lets just get the message out that they are idiots and racists who want nothing good and the public will continue to revile them and turn away from their idiocy.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:49 am

Mdsh00:
Of the hundreds of schools, streets and other places in America named after MLK and Rose Parks is hardly to piss off the KKK but to honor to great Americans.

Why is it that conservatives fail to see that the KKK is a terrorist group?
They may not be as active as they were 40 years ago but they are still a terrorist group.

[Edited 2005-01-10 21:50:57]
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:54 am

DIO21:
OK so with that said, should Al Qeda (sp) be allowed the same rights?
Bring back the Concorde

dl021

Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:09 am

Not if they are in open violent conflict with the US. If the Klan was openly conducting terrorist operations today then they ought to be banned from public demonstrations...in my opinion.

However their right to demonstrate and vocie their opinion has been defended by the ACLU and SPLC (go figure) and upheld by the court system.

I think that the Constitution actually has it right when the only speech expressly banned is sedition. The courts have muddied it by the famous "Fire in a crowded theater" but thats the cost of living in our society. There are going to be judgement calls all the time, and we are going to fight and argue over them.

What do you think about Al Queda's rights to demonstrate in this country?

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:17 am

DIO21:
Not if they are in open violent conflict with the US.

Lynching isn't "open violent conflict with the US.

Aren't Blacks, Jews & Catholics a part of the US or just 2nd. class citizens that shouldn't complain?

I see Al Queda and the Ku Klutz Klan as one of the same. There goals are the same. They are both religious extremist. The KKK has bombed Churches too. Just because the KKK hasn't hijacked aircraft doesn't mean they aren't as equally bad.

Many conservatives in the United States don't see it that way because the KKK are White American Christians. The KKK aren't as 'foreign' to them but they are indeed a terrorist group.
Bring back the Concorde

PPGMD

Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:20 am

Why is it that conservatives fail to see that the KKK is a terrorist group?

As much as I hate the Klan, they have been very careful in recent years to keep their act clean, and crime free. There is nothing wrong with the idiots demonstrating, as long as they stay that way.
At worst, you screw up and die.

jaysit

Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:23 am

The state of MO can still refuse to thank the KKK on the highway with signs. The court only spoke to the issue of participation in the program.

The state of MO can re-write their regulations to make public gratitude a completely discretionary act (that may already be the case).

That should piss off a group composed mostly of marginally employed yahoos and semi-literate bubbas with poor personal hygiene whose primary activity (other than watching NASCAR racing) is to claim racial superiority to overcome their lack of achievement in any human endeavor.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:27 am

PPGMD:
True, they have been dormant for years now but there goals haven't changed. Why do they feel comfortable in participating in government sponsored programs in today's political climate?

If Al Queda "cleaned up there act", would America accept those pigs in to the mainstream and be allowed to sponsor hiways?
Bring back the Concorde

Logan22L

Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:28 am

A fine line at times, but I think the KKK can believe what they want, say what they will (we rely on this for them to reveal themselves as fools), but when they cross over to intimidation, or violence or anything that enters into lawlessness or terrorism, then they must be dealt with as such, and harshly.

DL021, that's a great story; I would have loved to have seen that.

Bottom line is we have to protect the right to speech and demonstration even when we disagree with the agenda. Superfly, I do see the KKK as something of a terrorist group, certainly at times anyway, but other times it is, I suspect, lawful congregation. Despicable, beyond insulting, yes. Illegal, not always. We have to draw the line hard, and make opinion and demonstration safe, effective, and nothing more than that. Yes, a slippery slope...

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

L-188

Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:32 am

I don't know why you label these nuts as conservative Superfly.

Most of them where democrats in the 1960's, and Wizard Robert Byrd still is.

Isn't this the same stretch of highway that Missouri renamed the Rosa Parks or Dr. MLK Highway in order to piss off the Klan?

I thought it was Mississippi and the section was named after Rosa Parks.

Frankly that is the right way to tick off these nuts.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:32 am

Jaysit:
That should piss off a group composed mostly of marginally employed yahoos and semi-literate bubbas with poor personal hygiene whose primary activity (other than watching NASCAR racing) is to claim racial superiority to overcome their lack of achievement in any human endeavor.

I doubt it. These are the people that elected there new governor Blount as well as Jim Talent and Kit Bond. These are the people that helped the margin of victory in favor of Bush, Blount and Talent.
Bring back the Concorde

jessman

Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:33 am

If Al Queda "cleaned up there act", would America accept those pigs in to the mainstream and be allowed to sponsor hiways?

Yes. They would. Even if Al-Queida still preached that all non-muslims should die.

Criminal actions are punished. Beliefs can not be punished. Free speech is a right protected by the constitution.

PPGMD

Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:40 am

Unfortunately... yes. Now it's up to the state to decide whether or not they wish to take the money.
At worst, you screw up and die.

yukimizake

Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:41 am

Considering their lengthy history of terror tactics, giving the Ku Klux Klan the right to organize and express their views is a total joke. Its a strange interpretation by the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

But since according to the law there's no problem with this I guess we will now white trash picking up trash. As the article points out, this stretch of highway will now become a dumping ground.
'Opfer müssen gebracht werden (Sacrifices must be made)' - Otto Lilienthal

jaysit

Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:43 am

These are the people that helped the margin of victory in favor of Bush, Blount and Talent.

Exactly. Same thing.

My partner is from the South and each time I visit, my response is always "how can people this sweet, have politics this rotten?" I'm not implying that they're all members of the KKK, just that folks down there view the KKK with less animosity than others do -- Like a wart or a mole that they may not be proud of (well, most of them at least) but that they wouldn't ever consider removing.

Most of them where democrats in the 1960's, and Wizard Robert Byrd still is.

And with the grand exception of ex-Klan member Robert Byrd, the rest are all Republicans. Whats your point? Yesterday's dixiecrats and today's Southern republicans are the same creature - social conservatives. Call it tom-ae-toe yesterday, or To-maah-toe today. Its the same thing.

In any case, I think the Court may have done the right thing at this point by finessing this case. The KKK - like any other group one disagrees with - should be allowed to exercise its first amendment rights. They need not be acknowledged, commended, or feted for that though.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:44 am

For the record, I am NOT debating there right to free speech. They can run around in white sheets and wave the confederate flag all they want. I am talking about the state of Missouri not allowing some groups to adopt a hiway. The state should be able to deny them that. What's next, are these people going to qualify for 'faith based' government taxpayer subsidies?

L-188:
I seriously doubt any of these Klan members voted for John Kerry but I am certain they supported W.
Bryd may have been a Klansman in the past but hasn't introduced any bills reflecting the views of the KKK.
The KKK votes Republican. They openly endorsed Haley Barbor (Mississippi's governor) and David Duke left the Democratic Party and joined the Republican Party just as other Klan members. Louisiana Republican voters picked Duke to be there governatorial candidate.
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:57 am

Jaysit:
Good point man.

It's time for the GOP to dance with those they invited to the party.
Bring back the Concorde

MaverickM11

Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:35 am

Why is this a victory for conservatives? The ACLU would fully support this.
E pur si muove -Galileo

mdsh00

Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:38 am

Mdsh00:
Of the hundreds of schools, streets and other places in America named after MLK and Rose Parks is hardly to piss off the KKK but to honor to great Americans.

No doubt they are famous and important Americans, but I think L-188 reminded me of the case I was thinking about. The KKK did something like this in Mississippi and the state tried to block it. When the courts ruled in favor of the Klan, Mississippi retaliated by changing the name of the KKK stretch after a prominent African-American figure.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

MaverickM11

Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:45 am

"These are the people that helped the margin of victory in favor of Bush"

False. Unless there was an explosion of KKK members in the last four years, they did nothing to tilt the election any more in Bush's favor.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:24 am

MaverickM11:
To answer your first question, the ACLU is neither liberal or conservative. Bob Barr belongs to the ACLU mind you. The ACLU defended the KKK's right to demonstrate and no one here is disputing that right.

Second; in a close race, every vote counts. Although Bush would never come out and publicly seek there support, his advisors taylor and craft his speeches in a way that would appeal to these group of voters. I don't think the Klan would have issue with many of Bush's policies as well as Blount, Bond and Talent. There wasn't enough of these nuts to save there man Asscroft when he lost re-election to a dead man.
Bring back the Concorde

MaverickM11

Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:39 am

"To answer your first question, the ACLU is neither liberal or conservative."

I never said the ACLU was liberal or conservative; YOU are the one making the connection that a victory for the KKK is a victory for conservatives.

"Second; in a close race, every vote counts. "

Kerry had some unsavory supporters as well, especially among foreign leaders, but in both his case and Bush's, it was not the fringe supporters that made the election, it was the core constituency. One day the Democrats will see that--probably very soon since it's next in line after the anger and denial stages, which we've already seen.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:46 am

MaverickM11:
it was not the fringe supporters that made the election, it was the core constituency.

Perhaps that's the most scary thing about his election.

Kerry had some unsavory supporters as well

Don't try to change the subject as you like to do in other threads.
But since you brought it up, there were NO terrorist groups that endorsed or voted for Kerry.

especially among foreign leaders

You mean former allies that supported George H. Bush, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton?

YOU are the one making the connection that a victory for the KKK is a victory for conservatives.

Damn right! It certainly isn't a victory for liberals.  Insane
Bring back the Concorde

b757300

Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:56 am

Because in his mind, only white, conservatives can be racist.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

MaverickM11

Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:08 am

"Don't try to change the subject as you like to do in other threads."

You were making the point that a man is measured by the quality of his fringe supporters; I was sticking to your train of thought.

"Damn right! It certainly isn't a victory for liberals"

That's an extremely shortsighted point of view--that a loss for liberals is necessarily a victory for conservatives.

" there were NO terrorist groups that endorsed or voted for Kerry"

The KKK did not endorse Bush any more than Osama endorsed Kerry. Are we talking about the same KKK that can't even get their silk-cloaked a$$es booked on the Springer show anymore?
E pur si muove -Galileo

dl021

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:15 am

Fly...if your point is that the State of Mississippi ought to be able to deny a sign to the Klan, then I agree. They are not obligated to recognize anyone with a sign. As a matter of fact naming highways after people is a silly political act in the first place, and the expropriation of our tax funds to pay for the signage is complete waste.

As far as I'm concerned the signs ought to be paid for by private funds or not be used at all.

I also agree that the Klan is guilty of terrorism in its past, but I do not see this now. It is a difficult thing to say they should be allowed to enjoy the same freedoms as us, but unless members of that organization can be shown to be guilty of organizing criminal activity or war against us, then their members get the same rights as us, on an individual basis. That said, I don't know where there is any case law about organizations enjoying the same rights or protections as individuals. I am no lawyer and would like to hear garnettpalmetto or jaysit's opinion on that subject.

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:20 am

B757300:
I knew I'd get that sort of reaction from you. You were the same person that was quick to judge Esie(sp) May Thurmond, Strom Thurmonds secret Black daughter as a B/S story cooked up by the media. Once you found out it was a true story, you ran back to you cave.
Do us all a favor and keep your head buried in the sand.  Smile

MaverickM11:
The KKK did not endorse Bush any more than Osama endorsed Kerry

Both groups indirectly support Bush. The Klan is at least savy enough for now not to publicly endorse Bush but they certainly share the same 'core values'.
As far as the other $h!t bag Osama Bin Laden, Karl Rove had everything to do with the timing of the release of the video tape with Osama speaking of the U.S. elections. Had 9/11 not happened, what would Bush hide behind?

Back to topic.
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:29 am

DIO21:
Fly...if your point is that the State of Mississippi ought to be able to deny a sign to the Klan, then I agree. They are not obligated to recognize anyone with a sign.

I agree with you there.

As a matter of fact naming highways after people is a silly political act in the first place

Even if it's Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Roosevelt or dare I say Reagan?

I am concerned as to what a terrorist 'group' has to do to no longer be considered a terrorist group. Once a terrorist group, always a terrorist group. If they do a complete reversal of all of there goals, then why bother exist?
Bring back the Concorde

StowAway

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:38 am

Ok, first off, the KKK has become a terrorist group. I say "become" because the founder did not intend for that to be the direction. But, it is now, and should not be given any rights.

I'm not implying that they're all members of the KKK, just that folks down there view the KKK with less animosity than others do --

I respectfully disagree. A friend of the family's house is right around some railroad tracks that a local KKK meet at. The people around there are passionately trying to get them disbanded, and arrested. Yes, however, there are more racist nuts down South. But, in general, people seriously dislike the KKK around here.

I really don't know that much about the KKK to debate whether they are conservative or liberal. However, I can assure you that any smart politician stays away from supporting them. Just like the Kerry camp stayed away from support Micheal Moore. I am not trying to compare the two, but both are complete idiots.

A monkey's ass always talks crap.

dl021

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:41 am

I am more describing the practice of passing out political patronage to local pols by naming highways and bridges after them.

If we are going to name a local road then fine, but if we take I-285 between Paces Ferry and I-20 and rename it Billy McKinney Highway then we are wasting money on the no less than three signs on either side of the road. If we build a new road, it needs a name for the maps. Superlfouos BS irritates the hell out of me.

Naming the interstate system after Eisenhower (Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways) is appropriate, but public money for signs that do not appear on a map is not.

MaverickM11

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:42 am

"Both groups indirectly support Bush. The Klan is at least savy enough for now not to publicly endorse Bush but they certainly share the same 'core values'.
"

Why do I bother...

OK, for shit's sake, what are those "core values", pray tell?
E pur si muove -Galileo

ANCFlyer

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:45 am

I really don't know that much about the KKK to debate whether they are conservative or liberal

It wouldn't matter to me whether their Conservative, Republican, Democrat, Republican . . . the KKK gets no respect and no discussion (save this post) from me. My blood lines hail from Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia (nooooo, I'm Alaskan, lets get that clear right now), and I have no love lost for that group of terrorists.

May they burn in hell right on their own crosses. . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

theCoz

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:51 am

HA! I think it's great! Let them adopt the highway! Let them clean up the trash. I've got a few huge boulders in my backyard I don't need. Maybe I'll throw some used car batteries by the side of the road and perhaps a few thousand gallons of used motor oil. Oh, and I'll throw in just a few thousand cubic feet of dirt fill to soak up the oil...just cause I'm a nice guy  Laugh out loud

BN747

Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:23 am

Yes. They would. Even if Al-Queida still preached that all non-muslims should die.

Criminal actions are punished. Beliefs can not be punished. Free speech is a right protected by the constitution.

When that belief is centered destruction of the nation and past actions to back up it's determination/goals.. don't you think that exceeds simple 'speech'?

Are you endorsing Al Qaeda Inc offices opening on 5th Ave., LA,SF,Seattle and Dallas?

In any case, I think the Court may have done the right thing at this point by finessing this case. The KKK - like any other group one disagrees with - should be allowed to exercise its first amendment rights. They need not be acknowledged, commended, or feted for that though.

More than 100 years of terrorist history and one far longer than Al Qaedas... as Superfly said 'once a terrorist always one.' Their (KKK) mission remains the same.. the elimination of Americans..'certain Americans' backed up by a very well documented history of the willingness to do so. If you advocate the elimination of the POTUS.. see how long that type of free speech will allow you to walk freely on the streets. The wholesale destruction and direct threat to segments of society (KKK) or America entirely (AL Qaeda) should fall squarely in the same category as a threat to the nation's leader. Therefore.. not be tolerated at all, it serves no useful purpose. Even tolerance has it's limits!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

vafi88

Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:21 pm

Superfly said:

B757300 said:

Because in his mind, only white, conservatives can be racist.

B757300, let me give you a few definitions.

Liberal: open-minded, freethinker

Conservative: somebody trying to avoid change, and pushes to keep tradition.

So liberals change with views of the world, while conservatives are still in the 1810s making afro-americans pick cotton.

I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

SFOMEX

Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:14 pm

To link the Klan to Conservatives is plain stupid. For those hardcore liberals anybody who's not a Democrat pro-abortion, pro-gay marriage has to be a racist nut. Wrong and you know it. Conservatism is a respected, legal position on economic and social issues. Those who link conservatives to racists are as wrong as Limbaugh and Coulter who believe that liberal equals to terrorist. You should be ashamed of yourselves...

[Edited 2005-01-11 05:18:28]
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:01 pm

SFOMEX:
To link the Klan to Conservatives is plain stupid

So how come when ever the Klan makes any sort or overture in to mainstream politics, they endorsing or runing as conservative Republicans?
A lot of conservatives are not racist but there are also a lot that are.
Fortunately you don't have to worry about any of this down in Mexico.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

MaverickM11

Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:10 pm

"A lot of conservatives are not racist"

Are you ok??! It must have hurt you a lot to say that.

[Edited 2005-01-11 07:13:23]
E pur si muove -Galileo

BN747

Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:37 pm

To link the Klan to Conservatives is plain stupid.

And that statement is more stupid. SFOMEX, either you don't know squat about 'the Klan' (is there such thing as liberal Klansman???) or you don't have any idea what a being conservative means.

Sure there are people who are
conservative financially.
conservative defensively.
and moderate to liberal socially and still consider themselves conservatives!

Klansmen keep 'conservative' straight down the line.. no deviations whatsoever.

Any Klansman is conservative by sheer nature, they look for the days when their numbers were in the millions and 'minorities and women knew their place'... most of your conservative politicians don't stray far that position today. They won't say it publicly..but just look at their voting record and the political path they took to get to power.... it speaks for itself.

BN747

"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

DC10GUY

Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:50 pm

Superfly, The KKK is a part of the Republican base. Therefore, they cannot be a terrorist group.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

MxCtrlr

Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:05 pm

BN747,

Any Klansman is conservative by sheer nature,...

I think this is a perception problem. We all here have become so adept at throwing out the two labels - "Liberal" or "Conservative" - that we have gotten to the point where everything is one or the other - black or white - and nothing in between.

A Klansman is not "conservative by sheer nature", they are extremist by sheer nature. Robertson, Falwell and all those other televangelists are also extremists of the highest order - snake oil salesmen one and all. What this truly is, is not a "victory for conservatives" or "loss for liberals" but a coup for extremists.

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

Superfly
Topic Author

Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:25 pm

MxCtrlr:
What this truly is, is not a "victory for conservatives" or "loss for liberals" but a coup for extremists.

Excellent point!  Big thumbs up
It's sad that these extremist were handed a victory by the highest court in the land. Antonin Scalia ruled in the Klan's favor. President George W. Bush once stated that Scalia is one of his favorite judge and would pick judges like him in his mold. Bush's 'conservative' creditials are questionable but his 'extremist' creditials are solid.
Too bad we have to deal with that piece of $h!t for teh next 4 years.
This is the sort of political climate that the KKK feels great comfort. People in the highest levels of government share there 'core values'.

Bring back the Concorde

StowAway

Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:49 pm

To answer your first question, the ACLU is neither liberal or conservative.

Correct, but they are a thorn in the side of America.

B757300, let me give you a few definitions.

Liberal: open-minded, freethinker

Conservative: somebody trying to avoid change, and pushes to keep tradition.

So liberals change with views of the world, while conservatives are still in the 1810s making afro-americans pick cotton.

That is the most asinine piece of garbage I have ever heard. Even for you Vafi88 that is poor taste. Please join this discussion again when you have your whits about you.

MaverickM11

Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:11 am

"Klansmen keep 'conservative' straight down the line.. no deviations whatsoever."

So then Communists keep 'liberal' straight down the line?
E pur si muove -Galileo

Superfly
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:15 am

Stowaway:
The ACLU is only a thorn in the side of an issue or candidate that is 'trendy' at that moment. I remember in 1988, Papa Bush ridiculed Michael Dukakis for being a member of the ACLU. AS if being a member of the ACLU is bad thing.  Confused
I don't agree with every thing they have stood for either but for teh most part, organizations like the ACLU keep America a great nation and a pillar of freedom. If the ACLU doesn't stand up for civil liberties, who will? The GOP certainly wont.

MaverickM11:
So then Communists keep 'liberal' straight down the line?

Stay on topic.  Insane
When Martin Luther King Jr. was alive, those who criticized him tried to label him a communist. I guess you'll be out protesting on his birthday huh.  Insane
Bring back the Concorde

MaverickM11

Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:20 am

"So then Communists keep 'liberal' straight down the line?

Stay on topic. "

I'm just using your "logic," and I'm using the term very loosely. You're saying the fringe elements are analagous to the mainstream, so it should follow that the communists are liberals.

"When Martin Luther King Jr. was alive, those who criticized him tried to label him a communist. I guess you'll be out protesting on his birthday huh."

I'm suprised it took you that long to level a cheap dig.
E pur si muove -Galileo

SFOMEX

Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:44 am

either you don't know squat about 'the Klan' (is there such thing as liberal Klansman???) or you don't have any idea what a being conservative means.

BN747:

I know what the KKK stands for, literally and figuratively. I'm a conservative and I know what I stand for. It seems to me that you are the one who is confused about this. Let me explain it to you: A klansman is neither conservative nor liberal, it's just a racist SOB. A truly conservative is not racist, that would be against the core of conservatism.

It pi** me off that hardcore liberals are so eager to call conservatives racists or bigots. Would you like to be called a baby-killer? Well, some hardcore conservatives think that if you support abortion you are nothing but a baby killer, a member of the so-called culture of death. Crazy, isn't?

Get real for once. Conservatism and liberalism have nothing to do with those nuts.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

StowAway

Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:47 am

The ACLU is only a thorn in the side of an issue or candidate that is 'trendy' at that moment. I remember in 1988, Papa Bush ridiculed Michael Dukakis for being a member of the ACLU. AS if being a member of the ACLU is bad thing.

Yes, the ACLU is a bad thing. Sure, there has to be some groups keeping an eye out for civil rights infringements. No, that group doesn't need to take the word "Christmas" out of America. The ACLU frequently butts in and over steps their bounds on frequent occasions.