dl021

NFL Week 19: Divisional Playoff Thread

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:32 am

OK...Don't want to jinx the Falcons buy making a prediction but I do want to hear what everyone else thinks about the upcoming games.

NFC
STL at ATL

Minn at Philly

AFC

NYJ at PIT

Indy at New England

Predictions, strengths, weaknesses, wild cards (so to speak), your spread.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

jpetekyxmd80

RE: NFL Week 19: Divisional Playoff Thread

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:37 am

Atlanta over St. Louis- happened already this year pretty convincingly

Minnesota over Philly- painful pick to make but its about momentum and the Eagles wont be able to keep up without TO

Pittsburgh over NYJ....my super bowl pick

Indy over NE...Think theyre finally ready to take this step
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

USAFHummer

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:42 am

STL - ATL - Rams have the momentum going for them, beating the Seahawks in Seattle, this is my upset special...Rams 31-20

MIN - PHI - This will be most people's pick for an upset, since the Eagles are sans T.O., but alas I will not turn on my team and pick the Eagles 21-10....Minnesota won't handle the hostile Philly crowd well

NYJ - PIT - PIT is too good, and the Jets have used up their miracle quota for the postseason vs. SD last week...Pittsburgh 42-17.

IND-NE - This game will be a close one, going to overtime, but NE pulls it out on a Vinatieri field goal - NE 24, IND 21

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

dl021

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:47 am

USAFHummer..ahem..kiss my 4th point of contact.  Big grin

I do think that the Eagles need to bring their A game to the stadium that day as Minnesota looked damn good last weekend.

USAFHummer

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:55 am

They'll bring it...people keep forgetting that we made it to the NFC championship game last year without T.O...and the rest of our team is almost the same, if not better, so Im very confident...I'll refrain comment on the potential NFC championship game matchups though until after the divisionals are over...

Greg

dl021

Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:19 am

No sense jinxing anything. One step at the time.

I do wonder what mental effect losing TO for the game will have, though.

redngold

Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:20 am

My roots/picks:

NFC:
St. Louis over Atlanta (after STL beat the poor Seahawks... again...)

Philadelphia over Minnesota (take that, Randy!)

AFC:
Pittsburgh over the Jets (I still hate New York)

This is the toughest one... I have been a Patriots fan for years because they were such underdogs... But I am dazzled by Manning and the Colts and would love to have them wow me again... So an overtime win by the Colts would be my wish.

redngold
Up, up and away!

Newark777

Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:46 pm

I'm praying for a Jets upset. It probably won't happen, but it would be awesome if it did.  Big thumbs up

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

MxCtrlr

Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:06 pm

I pick the following:

ATL over STL

MIN over PHL (I think laying the guys off over the last two regular season games will prove to be a mistake. PHL is going to be rusty and MIN is primed and ready to go on all cylinders.)

PIT over NYJ

NE over IND (which sets up NE's loss in the AFC Championship game to PIT!)  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

AGC525

Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:28 pm

got to go with PIT. I'll be at the PIT Jets game, so far for Wx they're calling for a low of 6 and snow!!!! Definatley Steeler football weather. I'll be drunk and hypothermic  Smile
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

AAplatnumflier

Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:38 pm

Atlanta over St. Louis- If Mike Vick shows up in this game...if he gets stopped with the St. Louis defense they will not win

Philly over Minnesota- This one is for TO

NYJ over PIT....i know I am making a bold perdition with this but I just think the Jets have too much momentum right now and they cant be stopped...it will be a close game but won by the Jets

NE over Indy...Indy has had a great run this year but this is finally the end

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:48 pm

NYJ over PIT....i know I am making a bold perdition with this but I just think the Jets have too much momentum right now and they cant be stopped...it will be a close game but won by the Jets

lol, how much more momentum can you have than winning 14 games in a row!?
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

AAplatnumflier

Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:52 pm

In my opinion what happens in the season doesnt matter anymore coming off a big playoff win in which they were the underdog...huge

AGC525

Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:52 pm

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO

deltairlines

Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:16 pm

I'm flying the 652 miles from Greensboro to Boston on Saturday night (after the Wake Forest-UNC game, of course, since that's another event you don't turn down tickets for) to root on my Pats this weekend. That's all I'm going to say about that game.

In other action,
PHI over MIN - USAFHummer's comment is pretty accurate...only thing that does worry me is the major players having a month off (I don't count the STL and the other game as true games).
STL over ATL - game's indoors on turf, so Rams can use their strengths fully. Rams are also rolling right now. Falcons will put up a fight, but Vick might be a little rusty.
PIT over NYJ - Jets have been struggling lately, Pitt already beat the Jets convincingly last month, no reason why it won't happen again.

Jeff

Tom in NO

Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:31 am

St. Louis over Atlanta, 28-17: St. Louis's offense is in gear, their defense is just good enough to hold off Vick and the Falcons. Vick's layoff will come back to hurt them.

Minnesota over Philadelphia, 21-17: another offense that is on a roll. The absence of T.O. will, however, be the ultimate decider.

The #5 and #6 seeds in the NFC make it to the NFC championship. That's how bad the NFC is.

Indy over New England, 31-28, in what will be the best game of the weekend. Can't deny Peyton's the best in the business, and the Colts defense will make just enough plays to get by. The AFC Championship game against Pittsburgh will be tougher.

Pittsburgh over the New Jersey Jets, 21-10: probably won't even be this close. Pittsburgh will accomplish what the Chargers couldn't: they'll cash in on the Jets' stupid penalties.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

CactusA319

Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:49 am

STL over ATL: This one will be close, but STL has had it pretty good this playoffs: First at SEA, undoubtedly the weakest playoff team in years, and now indoors at ATL. The Rams play great indoors, the offense is clicking and the defense will be just good enough to contain (not stop) Mr. Vick. Sorry DL021.

Philly over Minnesota: The Vikings blew their load in last week's win over the Pack. They'll find a way to choke (as they usually do) against the T.O.-less Eagles. Look for the Eagles to get more creative on offense and for Brian Westbrook to have a huge day.

New England over Indianapolis: This going to be a great game. Foxboro has always given Peyton Manning problems, and the Pats will do just enough to slow him down, meaning he'll probably throw for 275 and 3 TD's (!!). Still the Pats have this guy named Brady who's pretty good too and tends to win the big games. Pats by 3.

Pittsburgh over the J-E-T-S: The Steeler machine will keep rolling. The Jets will play tough no doubt, but the Stillers take this one going away.

Boeing7E7

Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:31 am

STL - ATL - Rams are going down as they should have in the regular season. Falcons win 24-17.

MIN - PHI - The crowd will be hostile, that's what the stadiums built in jail is for. Philly is not going to like the result of this one. The Vikings are clearly on a mission. Vikings win 31-24.

NYJ - PIT - The Jets are going down so hard it's not even going to be funny. San Diego played it's "C" game, a "B" game would have been a win and the "A" game a serious ass wipping. Pitt wins, 23-10 (only because of weather -good weather it'll be 31-14 Pitt)

IND-NE - Just like Dan Fouts, Manning can't do jack in bad weather and does anyone really beleive Denver was good enough to even be competitive? Patriots win 17-14.

mlsrar

Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:37 am

Minnesota won't handle the hostile Philly crowd well

You've obviously never been to a packer game in Lambeau. See the thred about Moss for my experiences.

My picks:

ATL over STL: The Rams D can't contain Vick...rhetoric I know, but its the truth.

MIN over PHI: I like our momentum, and the unitiy they showed. The hair was the icing on the cake.

NE over IND: I think history will prevail here and Manning out of his element is far less effective.

<PIT over NYJ: Uselessburger will win this one, but choke in the AFC championship.
I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson

monorail

Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:30 am

Rams over Falcons- Mike Martz, the George Costanza of NFL head coaches, will find some unorthodox way of winning this game. Passing twice for every run has worked, and I'm sure he has something counter-intuitive tucked up his sleeve for defending Vick.

Vikings over Eagles- As poorly the Vikings finsihed the season, they were near the top of their game last week at Lambeau. The TO-less Eagles will be rusty since they've only been going through the motions to end the season and haven't played a truly meaningful game in a month.

Colts over Patriots- Under most other scenarios, New England is a lock in this matchup in Foxboro. Even though the indoor Colts are being pulled outside to face the January elements in a place Peyton always has trouble, the Pats' secondary is weakened with Law out. The Colts offense will see two different and less experienced corners than they did in their Week 1 match. This time Manning wins the game.

Steelers over Jets- I had to stop and think about this one, but I do think the Steelers will win yet again. Besides, I'm not ready to pick against all 4 teams with bye weeks. If Roethlisberger is feeling good, the Jets get steamrolled.
Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs!

dl021

Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:36 pm

We will be examining these predictions in a few days so feel free to make adjustments based on injury reports and general feeling.

Anyone care to make any small, non-cash wagers on the weekend results?

I saw a guy on the corner of Piedmont and Peachtree (major intersection in Buckhead/North Atlanta) wearing a BOSOX jacket holding up a sign saying Red Sox RULE THE WORLD (or something like that) after the world series.
I had to ask and, yes, he lost a bet. So if any of you guys want to show your confidence in your predictions and are willing to provide proof of paying up if you lose then throw down.

monorail

Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:45 pm

Anyone care to make any small, non-cash wagers on the weekend results?

Do you mean just a gentleman's bet or something else?

dl021

Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:07 am

If you lose you have to have a photo taken for posting ON THIS THREAD of you rooting for your opposing team in public. Or something equivilant.

monorail

Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:14 am

If you lose you have to have a photo taken for posting ON THIS THREAD of you rooting for your opposing team in public. Or something equivilant.

Fair enough, count me in

dl021

Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:18 am

ok...it looks like we have a pool. Anyone else?

Get in on it and I'll post the bets.

monorail

Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:15 am

Do we have to post a picture for each game we miss or only if we lose the majority of our picks?

N670UW

Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:37 am

Pittsburgh over N.Y. Jets - The Steelers didn't play very well in the first meeting, but now they're well-rested and Ben's favorite downfield target will be playing this time around - Plaxico Burress.

St. Louis over Atlanta - I'm going with the upset here. The Rams are hot right now, and if the offense can give Bulger some time, I think they'll pull it out. When it's rolling, the Rams offense is just as dangerous as any in the league.

Philadelphia over Minnesota - Though they had a very impressive showing in Green Bay last week, I don't think the Vikings defense will have an answer for McNabb and Westbrook. Even without T.O., I think the Eagles will win this one, though I wonder how rusty they'll be after not playing for so long. Randy Moss also may not be 100% healthy.

New England over Indianapolis - I'd like to pick Indianapolis - that offense is just so good. But we're talking Belichick here, and knowing him, he'll find a way to win, however he can.

N670UW

mlsrar

Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:03 am

Philadelphia over Minnesota

How about I drive up to Lambeau and moon the bronze statuette of Lombardi and have someone photograph it if MN loses?

haveric

Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:27 am

Boeing7E7 -- Lincoln Financial Field does not have a built-in jail.

As for my picks.

ATL over STL -- St. Louis D cannot stop Vick
PHL over Minnesota -- the Eagles defense is 100x better than the Packers D
IND over New England -- Patchwork secondary can't stop Peyton
PITT over NY Jets -- although they'll lose to Indianapolis, they'll have enough to shutdown the Jets.

AGC525

Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:30 am

"PITT over NY Jets -- although they'll lose to Indianapolis"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, good one.

mlsrar

Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:48 am

To Philly:

haveric

Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:04 pm

AGC -- Roethlisburger has been pretty bad the last 5 weeks of the season, he's lucky they've been able to shield him from throwing many passes, but wait until their losing in the playoffs....

I dont see anyone being able to stop Peyton.

AGC525

Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:31 pm

I think the Steelers have the ability to kinda stay below the radar, they play to the caliber of the team they're playing. Just because we beat New England doesn't mean we'll beat the Browns 100-0.

I'm looking forward to a Turnpike Bowl - PIT and PHI

aerobalance

Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:54 pm

Time to chime-in, I can NEVER pick playoff games.....

What I want to see happen:

Rams over the Falcons
Vikings over Eagles
Indy over N.E.
Jets over Pitt

My predictions.......

Falcons over Rams
Vikings over Eagles
Indy over N.E.
Pitt over Jets

I'm not going to Vegas, not calling a bookie, I'm just going to sit on my couch eating my food and drinking my beer....
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

N670UW

Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:09 pm

Roethlisburger has been pretty bad the last 5 weeks of the season

I disagree. Roethlisberger's really only had one bad game the last five games - Week 14 against the Jets, a game in which his favorite vertical-passing receiver, Burress, was absent, and the Jets were defending Hines Ward with two and three DB's. He doesn't put up Peyton Manning-like numbers (as he hasn't all season), but he's still winning games and making great plays. He also had two comeback wins in that stretch, against Jacksonville and the Giants.

He's 5-0 in those last five games - I'd hate to see what you'd think of some of the other quarterbacks around the league.

Week 12 - vs. WAS: 9/20 (45.0%), 131 yds
Week 13 - at JAX: 14/17 (82.4%), 221 yds, 2 TD
Week 14 - vs. NYJ: 9/19 (47.4%), 144 yds, 2 INT
Week 15 - at NYG: 18/28 (64.3%), 316 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT
Week 16 - vs. BAL: 14/19 (73.7%), 221 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT
Week 17 - at BUF: (did not play)

he's lucky they've been able to shield him from throwing many passes, but wait until their losing in the playoffs

He doesn't have to win games for them. He makes enough key plays to put the offense in a position to score, and the league's best defense (both in yards allowed and points allowed), and a dominant running game do the rest. The Steelers also lead the league in time of possession. It's hard to score when your offense isn't on the field, and when they are - they have to face the league's best defense.

N670UW

[Edited 2005-01-13 06:12:50]

b741

Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:50 pm

As the first canuck to post, the Jets will win on Sunday.
Being Bilingual, I Speak English And Aviation

Boeing7E7

Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:53 pm

Boeing7E7 -- Lincoln Financial Field does not have a built-in jail.

So the new stadium isn't so perfect then.

mark777300

Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:32 pm

OK, so I am biased, I'm a Jet fan, so I'm going with my team. In truth, the Jets can beat the Steelers. They have the players to do it with, the question is, are they going to play like they did against the chargers? Pennington didn't practice today because he has a stomach virus. The Gods are against us!!! Anyway my prediction:

Falcons over Rams
Eagles over Vikings
Colts over N.E. (My best bet)
Jets over Steelers

mlsrar

Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:05 am

About Uselessburger...

I find him to be a lot like Trent Dilfer. If you surround him with a great defense, and a good running back, he won't go out there and win you a game, but he won't lose one either.

People forget that Dilfer has a Super-Bowl ring with Baltimore.

dl021

Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:09 am

tony, dude, you gotta pull for the Falcons....we need the positive mental energy coming in from everywhere.

The Rams abandoned the left coast years ago, what loyalty do you owe them?

Big grin

USAFHummer

Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:58 am

"Minnesota over Philadelphia, 21-17: another offense that is on a roll."

Versus a secondary that features 3 (THREE) Pro Bowl starters? Our defense will slow and shut Minnesota down offensively, so even if our offense isn't 100% because of T.O. (and I say this again, we got to the NFC Championship 3 seasons in a row without him, he is not a one man show), our defense can slow the Vikes enough to win...I'm not saying that we are going to blow the Vikings out, I think it will be somewhat close, but come "0:00 left in the 4th" the Eagles will have a higher score than the Vikings, and thats all that counts...

Greg

mlsrar

Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:05 am

Versus a secondary that features 3 (THREE) Pro Bowl starters?

All of whom are a half of a foot shorter than Moss and Burleson.

Our defense will slow and shut Minnesota down offensively,

You can't slow down a deep threat with a short secondary.

so even if our offense isn't 100% because of T.O.

He went down in the Dallas game, when Philly had clinched the #1 NFC seed. Your starting offense has yet to play a meaningful game without him. Reid will pull his usual choke act!

our defense can slow the Vikes enough to win...I'm not saying that we are going to blow the Vikings out, I think it will be somewhat close, but come "0:00 left in the 4th" the Eagles will have a higher score than the Vikings, and thats all that counts...

Of course, you must be counting on the officiating to manipulate the outcome of the game, as they have done four times against MN. Two of those crews have since been suspended from calling NFC games.

We shall see.

aerobalance

Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:54 pm

Ian,

Sorry bud, that's my throw-away game, I have no use for either team - that game will be like watching grass grow - yawn. Go Falcons I guess..... lol

Tony
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

monorail

Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:31 am

I'm going to change one of my picks. I've reconsidered and am going to take Philly over Minnesota. My original pick of Minnesota was based on this reasoning:
As poorly the Vikings finished the season, they were near the top of their game last week at Lambeau. The TO-less Eagles will be rusty since they've only been going through the motions to end the season and haven't played a truly meaningful game in a month.
Today I woke up. I don't know why I said that, because it hit me today.
I wanted the 8-8 Vikings over the Eagles???
All season I looked down on the Vikings, and rightly so. They finished 3-7. Sure, they beat Green Bay, but Favre had a bad day. It is also incredibly hard to beat the same team 3 times in one season, so it is somewhat understandable that Minnesota won. They still haven't shown me anything yet. One win against an over the hill Pack doesn't change things. I don't know what caused me to suddenly have a change of heart and pick the Vikings originally, but I'm awake now, and I want the Eagles. My other picks remain the same.

Monorail's picks: Steelers over Jets ----- Rams over Falcons ----- Eagles over Vikings ----- Colts over Patriots

dl021

Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:17 pm

HHOOOOAAAHHH!!!!

We stomped that ass!

All you prognosticators who decided that Martz is the second coming and that the Rams would overwhelm the Falcons.....320 yards rushing! 47 points scored by the offence, defence and special teams.....two different backs going over 100 yards...

I wanted a huge win to shut all those folks up who continue to criticize the Falcons and call them one dimensional. Vick doesn't play special teams, and ours rock....Vick don't play defence, and ours leads the league in sacks...and Vick does play offence, which is why the rest of the league worries about what he's doing when they should be worried about Duckett and Dunn.

OK...we'll take this one and celebrate, but I'll be paying attention tomorrow. I think the Eagles will want this one so bad they just might screw it up. They ought to spank the VIkes, so lets see which Eagles team shows tomorrow, because if its the A-game team...it won't matter which Vikings team shows.

All you guys who bet against the Falcons need to shave your heads, paint them domes red and black, and make a sign to carry on your biggest street intersection within 10 miles of your houses that says "Falcons Rock!"

Hey, I love winning. Tomorrow I'll be back to worrying about next week...oh, crap..it's tomorrow.

dl021

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:05 am

ALright how are you Viking fans doing?

Any predictions on tonights match that have changed?

What about the Patriots crapping up the field all week? Hows that going to slow down the Colts?

ANCFlyer

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:09 am

All you guys who bet against the Falcons need to shave your heads, paint them domes red and black, and make a sign to carry on your biggest street intersection within 10 miles of your houses that says "Falcons Rock!"

You crack me up.

Doesn't matter to me now - the Packers are back home licking their wounds . . .

Oh well, GO Indy!

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

dl021

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:19 am

Hey, I was pulling for the Pack. I figured that if they win they would have to come down here, and then we could have a classic.

I would love to see Indy win, this week and next, and then have us win next week. That would be a hell of a game.

Jalto27R

Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:23 am

*Points and laughs at all Vikings fans*

USAFHummer

Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:39 am

"*Points and laughs at all Vikings fans*"

*Joins in with much glee  Smile*

Now that the matchup is set, Eagles 31, Falcons 10 is my official prediction...4th time's the charm  Smile

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Greg