tbar220

Is Bill O'Reilly Nuts?

Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:03 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6210240/

[a piece of the article]

Speaking of hot flashes, we have another round of what continues to look like the self-destruction of Bill O'Reilly. The man who moved from falafels, loofahs, and $60,000,000 dollar lawsuits over sexual harassment charges, to becoming the self-appointed holy protector of Christmas, has now taken off on another flight of delusion of grandeur. He's attacked Saturday's tsunami relief telethon on NBC and its owned cable networks (like MSNBC).

The other night, O’Reilly told his semi-comatose viewers: "A national TV telethon will raise millions and 'The Factor' will be watching to see if the money gets to the tsunami victims. If it does not, there will be trouble.”

I’m guessing he'll try to cause lightning. Maybe locusts.

The rant continued, "If George Clooney and other stars go on tv and ask you to give, then they had better be involved all the way down the line."

Clooney, whom O’Reilly had also attacked after a similar celebrity telethon for 9/11 victims, released a letter he wrote to the bizarre Fox host. "So all right, Mr. Journalist... come on in. I'm booking the talent for the Tsunami event... and you, Mr. O'Reilly, are now officially invited to be a presenter... either you ante up and help out AND be that watch dog that you feel we clearly need... or you simply stand on the sidelines and cast stones... This is your chance to put your considerable money where your considerable mouth is."

O'Reilly says in reply, "I have to see what the format is. I would like to go over there and check things out. Whether I make a pitch or not depends on how organized things are."

In other words, Bill’s thinking about it.

Don't hurt yourself, Buddy.

NO URLS in signature

DC10GUY

RE: Is Bill O'Reilly Nuts?

Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:16 am

Bill is giving his audience exactly what they want... He's sticking it to them Hollywood liberals ... Anyone can see he is just riding that rightwing talking head cash machine. Just like all the rest of them asswipes.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

DfwRevolution

Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:22 am

I couldn't believe the nerve of O'Reily. Douche bag with a capital D. To question a shady spam-mail that says "Donate money to help the tsunami at this Grand Caymans bank account number" is one thing, but an open attack on the character of accredited and public celebrities/organizations trying to do charitable work is ridiculous.

Good thing he had the wit and gall to formulate such a well-meaning response-

"I have to see what the format is. I would like to go over there and check things out. Whether I make a pitch or not depends on how organized things are."

The format Bill? Half of Asia falls into the ocean and this fag is making personal attacks to advance himself.... despicable.

DeltaGuy

Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:27 am

I don't see what's wrong with Bill's approach to the Tsunami thing...he's standing by with his whistle to see if all the money actually makes its way to where it's intended, and not some idiot UN secretary general or something...deal.

I don't agree with some of the things Bill O'Reilly does, but I do believe he's a good bulldog for our side, he is tenacious on the show and won't put up with BS...Jessie Jackson has declined to go on his show for just that very reason.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

S12PPL

Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:33 am

Simple answer

Yes

This guy is fricken insane. Not that this will ever happen, but I truely do hope his show is yanked off the air. But it never will happen. NBC loves nothing more than ratings...and even people outraged with him, are watching his show, just to see if he'll say something else retarded.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

Newark777

Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:37 am

NBC loves nothing more than ratings...and even people outraged with him, are watching his show, just to see if he'll say something else retarded.

I'm pretty sure his show is on Fox News.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

S12PPL

Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:42 am

Well whatever. Shows how much I watch his pile of trash show. I dont' even know/care what network it's on.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

L-188

Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:43 pm

Bill has had a thing in recent years about celebrities who push "causes" and then don't follow up to make sure what they raise goes where they promised it would.

Which is where this thing with what's his name, "No Movie Career after ER".

A few years back during 9/11 he did a bunch of fundraising for that cause and then when some of the agencies he was raising for used the money elsewhere (Not small ones, The American Red Cross was one of them) Bill jumped his case.

But judging from the tone of the original article, this is an opinion piece, not an actual news story, so take it at that please.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Falcon84

Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:47 pm

George Clooney gave this idiot a verbal punch in the nose, and I, for one, am glad to see it.
Work Right, Fly Hard

AT502B

Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:56 pm

I personally like Bill's in your face attitude and show in general. He's not afraid to get in your face on issues he believes in.
I think most Americans like him as he does have the number one Cable Talk show in America(according to Fox News).
All Bill was trying to get across to Clooney was that writing the big check is easy- Make damn sure it gets to SE Asia and not end up somewhere else saving the spotted owl or some other idiotic cause.
I tell you what he's a helluva lot better and more entertaining than Larry King and his buddies on CNN.
I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning.

Falcon84

Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:02 pm

Why doesn't Bill just shut the hell up, write his own check, and stop worrying about what his audience or Bill Clooney or anyone else has to say?

Is Bill going to make the same stupid remark to Sandra Bullock, Kobe Bryant, Jermaine O'Neil, or Ben Roethlisberger? Why doesn't he just shut the frack up and raise some money himself, instead of bitching about others?
Work Right, Fly Hard

cptkrell

Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:55 pm

Well, to lead off the topic with stuff like "..self appointed holy-protector of Christmas"...and "...flights of delusion of grandeur..." and "...semi-comatose viewers..." automatically delegates the author into what I consider a prejudiced trashbin.

Not that I have a 'Spin stops here' doormat, but I have actually found myself agreeing with (or at least recognizing) some of his concerns.

I haven't been able to watch his show with any regularity in several months, but I do recall him taking to task some of the "celebrities" that campaigned so in-front-of-the-photo-op-spotlights after 9-11 for donations of which some monies were notwithcoming, lost, misdirected or otherwise offered, at the very least, in a not-timely manner to those of whom should be recipients. For this, I applaud his efforts.

If this is a similar case, I applaud his efforts to publicise it also. That you may or may not agree with O'Reilly's (perceived?) political thrust does not justify criticising the message.

Speaking of recent political threads, re: the Tsunami catastrophe, I wonder why so many regulars here were so quick to chastise the US government about initial dollar-aid offered but nobody questioned how much Koffi Anin and his son have offered out of the uncountable millions they have (allegedly  Smile )
scammed out of their UN dealings. Food (pun definately intended) for thought. Regards...Jack
all best; jack

BA

Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:07 pm

Him and Ann Coulter would make a good couple...
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

CaptOveur

Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:20 pm

I think just about anyone on Faux News is either nuts or Fcuking retarded.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

jamesag96

Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:25 pm

First of all Olbermann is a turd, and a no talent hack...thought as much when his ego took him from ESPN...let's not lose sight of that folks...this guy comes from the wide world of....sports.

Secondly, Bill O has let his "success" go to his head and is at times a major asshole. That being said, I think it is a good idea to keep an eye on where monies are donated, especially after the 9/11 debacle.
Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

BN747

Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:11 pm

Which is where this thing with what's his name, "No Movie Career after ER".

L-188, you must be high on Moose Gizzards... Heard of...

Ocean's Twelve
Intolerable Cruelty
Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
Solaris
Welcome to Collinwood
Ocean's Eleven
Spy Kids
The Perfect Storm???

...and that's just since 2000! No Movie Career??? If that's not having a 'very busy' career.. I don't know what the hell is! And you are working where now L-188???

Just on those films alone and "without" ER residuals... that's enough cash for Clooney to live the way he's living now for 2 or 3 life times if he never made another film!

Shouldn't your buddy, O'Reilly just keep his nose and a close eye on his own cash stash for the chick he's been brought up on sexual harrassment charges 'by playing unsolicited bouts of grab-ass with?'

BN747

"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

CaptOveur

Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:18 pm

Not too many people actually went to see most of those movies.

I hate to break it to you, I have pretty accepting tastes in movies, and the only one of those that wasn't a complete turd was Oceans 11. I saw Oceans 12 last weekend and I still can't figure out why it is not on the fast track to DVD yet.

I dislike Clooney almost as much as I dislike O'Really.

cptkrell

Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:32 pm

Nothing to do at half-past midnite out here in the sticks, so I'll continue with thoughts that I think Clooney's best movie was "The Perfect Storm". Thing is, though, that just about ANY actor could have played the part and the movie would have been just as good.

Gotta disagree about "Ocean's 11". The original old-timey fun with the Sinatra original can't be beat IMHO. Regards...Jack
all best; jack

L-188

Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:48 pm

BN747, I will have to credit that he move career is more successful then David Carusso's.(I know I probably mispelled CSI Miami's last name"

However:
Ocean's Twelve -Sequal to a remake
Intolerable Cruelty -Sucked
Spy Kids 3-D- Kiddie Sequal
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind -Didn't see it
Solaris-Sucked, now a perennial Leno joke.
Welcome to Collinwood-Sucked
Ocean's Eleven-remake-entertaining, but still a remake
Spy Kids-Are you kidding me?
The Perfect Storm-Actually like that one, growing up in a fishing town and all, but the final wave was way too fake.

BN747

Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:59 pm

I hate to break it to you, I have pretty accepting tastes in movies, and the only one of those that wasn't a complete turd was Oceans 11. I saw Oceans 12 last weekend and I still can't figure out why it is not on the fast track to DVD yet.

I dislike Clooney almost as much as I dislike O'Really.

Well as much of a qualified film critic as you claim to be StartOver... you didn't break anything to me. But if you focus long enough.. the comments/thread reply are directed at the man having an active career or not. Not whether, the sucked or not, not whether the film bombed or not... Clooney has the rare luxury to 'pick and choose' what as he pleases. And whether or not the movie sucks..he gets paid.. royally and before principal photography starts to roll.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

CaptOveur

Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:36 pm

I think my point was this: Not all that many people are paying to see Clooneys movies. He gets paid upfront but if his pictures continue costing more to make than they bring in his gravy train may screech to a halt.

Has anyone yet figured out why O'Really's gravy train hasn't been blown off the tracks by an IED yet?

solnabo

Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:39 pm

Didnt know that O Reilly was a "fag", always thoght of him as white trailor trash!

Micke  Insane
Airbus SAS - Love them both

jaysit

Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:07 am

I'd love to know how much O'Reilly donated.

To anything.

(Offering to buy falafels to rub over a woman's breasts does not count).

The man is a stupid hypocrite, much like his buddy Bill Bennett. Two crusading liars who never did anything good for anyone, but are focussed on their own loud mouth celebrity status.

Clooney punched him hard in his ugly mug with his offer to actually put his money where his mouth was. He was left blubbering.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Mikey711MN

Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:52 am

Here's an update: http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/story.asp?j=130144040&p=y3xy44746

Looks like he'll join up with Clooney on the telethon after all!

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

Gary2880

Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:32 am

lol faux news i love that!

"A national TV telethon will raise millions and 'The Factor' will be watching to see if the money gets to the tsunami victims. If it does not, there will be trouble.”

might have been nice if he tryed to do a telethon themselfs insted of having a dig at people trying to help, it seams like hes doing what he thinks the french did before the war, standing on the sidelines moaning (which i dont agree with) but yeah thats the first thing i thought of
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

j.mo

Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:38 am

Is Bill O'Reilly Nuts?

No, Just a dick with a big mouth.

Jeremy

SFOMEX

Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:35 am

Bill O'Reilly is a smart guy, and that bothers a lot of people, especially liberals and Hollywood stars. How come his show ratings are higher now than before his shameful sexual harassment incident? He is the most popular newsman in America and that says a lot. The good old liberal journalists are slowly dying, just see the ratings of Mr. Aaron Brown at CNN.
Granted, Mr O'Reilly has some weird and stupid opinions. I don't like his "stop-now-illegal-Mexican-immigration" mantra, but I've to acknowledge that he knows his business. He is not crazy, he is indeed a genius.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

JOSEMEX

Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:48 am

>before his shameful sexual harassment incident?<

Whatever became of that incident? I heard something about it when the first accusations came out, but I don't know what the current situation is.

CaptOveur

Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:24 am

"Whatever became of that incident? "

It just kind of went away, I think there was enough out there to discredit the girls story and I think he wrote a check... Now it is like it never happened.

She wasn't even cute, what is it about political perverts and ugly girls?

Scorpio

Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:37 am

Bill O'Reilly is a smart guy, and that bothers a lot of people, especially liberals and Hollywood stars.

He's a disgrace. Have you seen the one where he 'took on' the son of that firefighter who died in the 9/11 attacks for signing a petition against the Iraq war? That was the most disgraceful thing I have seen in a very long time! It made me sick. I can't remember the last time I was so pissed off at someone on TV!

He is the most popular newsman in America and that says a lot.

It says far more about his viewers than about him...

He is not crazy, he is indeed a genius.

A lot of people said that about Hitler too (not saying he's as bad as Hitler, but if he ever REALLY gets into politics, even the liberals are going to think of Bush as a moderate). 'Crazy' and 'genius' are VERY close together sometimes...

solarix

Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:39 am

You all think Bill O'Riley is offensive?? Obviously you have not listened to Michael Savage  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

b757300

Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:48 am

Is Bill O'Reilly Nuts?

Simply put, Yes he is.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

BN747

Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:13 am

She wasn't even cute, what is it about political perverts and ugly girls?
Whoa there Hoss... she wasn't a hottie not even close... BUT O'Reilly himself can't possibly be a catch to any bordeline women short of a hooker or a gold-digger! Why do you think his so pissed all the time? He hates the idea women 'chase' him NOW that he's 'famous'.. vs but back in the day when he was doing TV-yellow journalism (as the host of Hard Copy) women wouldn't look at him even if he was dripping in 'a different Cartier watch' (one for every day of the week), Armani suits and Gucci shoes! That's why he grabbed that chicks ass.. he 'felt' entitled! At least Monica lifted one of her hamhocks to show Clinton her thong.... one's an invitation... the other will land your ass in the Clink (unless you write pretty big check, pretty damn fast as O'Reilly did)!

BN747

SLC1

Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:40 am

Re: Is bill O'Reilly Nuts?

Yes
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

StowAway

Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:44 pm

Bill O'reilly has become quite arrogant. But, it is certainly just as noble to make sure that the funds go to the right place, as it is to help raise them.

For those who said "Why doesn't O'Reilly donate?" He has donated lots of finances into different programs. Not to mention pimping his stupid gear after the "Most Ridiculous," segment every night. The proceeds from his pimping goes to a very noble Wounder Warrior project.

O'Reilly is still a very good commentator if you know how to view his program. You have to decipher through the arrogance sometimes in order to get to the meat of it all.

I would rather mess with that then deciphering through biased opinions on otherwise hard news programs like Dan Rather's.
A monkey's ass always talks crap.

BN747

Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:51 pm

O'Reilly is still a very good commentator if you know how to view his program.

Ahhh.. so that's the key... shut down all brain cells (or in the cases of some--the one and only) and it enjoy it the show. I have watched his show--on several occassions.. I gotta say, he's a right-winged Howard Stern with hard Pat Robertsonisque slant! (minus the religious lunacy of course).

Rather??? The man ...as tarnished as he is from the CBS (over the top handling of the Bush story).. is in a league that O'Reilly will never obtain in this lifetime. Rather, enjoys (considerable domestic support-blue) and international stature that O'Reilly would kill for!

BN747

AAplatnumflier

Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:53 pm

Bill O'Reilly is certifiably crazy....he is just like Rush Limbaugh...let me tell ya the O'Reilly Factor for kids is pretty interesting you guys should read it

SFOMEX

Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:30 am

Rather??? The man ...as tarnished as he is from the CBS (over the top handling of the Bush story).. is in a league that O'Reilly will never obtain in this lifetime.

I agree, Dan Rather is at the lowest possible level. Mr. O'Reilly is smart enough to avoid the mistakes Mr. Rather has done. From President Bush Sr. interview (the one he made just before the 1988 elections) to the last scandal about Bush Jr; Mr. Rather is a shame for his profession. Now, you could have used smart liberal anchormen, such as Brokaw or Jennings, but Rather is the best example of dishonest journalism
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

tbar220

Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:49 am

Rather is the best example of dishonest journalism? He makes one mistake (Bush Guard Memo) and he becomes that?

Bill O'Reilly, while he hosts an opinion show, routinely lies and makes up "facts" that go with his own agenda. He is far worse than Rather.
NO URLS in signature

dvk

Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:51 am

Please stop with this "liberal anchormen" nonsense. There is no basis for saying Brokaw is a liberal, or Jennings either, for that matter. Even if they aren't conservatives, they do not present themselves professionally in a manner that projects their own views. My own impression of them is that Brokaw(based on his books and interviews) is probably more moderate to conservative, and Jennings more moderate to liberal, but this is not readily apparent in their broadcasts.

This right wing paranoia that anyone who isn't in their camp is "liberal" is ridiculous. Ever heard of "moderate" or "centrist"? These are terms the extreme right has discarded, because of their determination to brand anyone who doesn't agree with them as Godless, immoral deviants. Give it a rest, please.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

MD-90

Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:03 am

I don't like his "stop-now-illegal-Mexican-immigration" mantra

Well, I and a lot of other Americans believe that a nation that cannot defend its own borders is not a nation.

Dvk's never read Bernard Goldberg's Bias, it seems like.

And Michael Savage is the truly offensive one. O'Reilly's pretty smart and well-regarded by the American people as a whole, obvoiusly, or he wouldn't have the highest-rated cable news show. He's too statist for my taste, but okay otherwise.

dvk

Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:07 am

No, I haven't read Goldberg's Bias, but I do read avidly, listen closely, and have good enough powers of observation to recognize right-wing paranoia. It's nothing new, it's just more prevalent now than ever before.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

L-188

Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:30 am

I don't know why you guys keep calling O'reilly conservative.

If you ever listen to his radio show, you can see his extreme liberal views in particularly when it comes to gun control and his critisims of the Bush administration.

As far as Dan Rather, I hope everybody sees those four people who got fired as a result of the recently released report as scapegoats to protect Dan.

StowAway

Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:32 am

Bill O'Reilly, while he hosts an opinion show, routinely lies and makes up "facts" that go with his own agenda. He is far worse than Rather.

Tbar, may ask for some of the "facts" that he makes up? What about those lies?

L-188

Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:46 pm

Tbar, may ask for some of the "facts" that he makes up?

Yes please enlighten us, or are you just hearing that George Clooney soundbite he uses as the intro of his radio show?

tbar220

Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:45 pm

Here you go, just some of the 75 accounted for examples in 2004.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200412230006

NO URLS in signature

yukimizake

Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:09 pm

Is Bill O'Reilly Nuts?

Yes, certifiably nuts.

The US used to be a great country looked up upon from the rest of the world. Sadly this is no longer the case, and it's because of guys like Bill O'Reilly.
'Opfer müssen gebracht werden (Sacrifices must be made)' - Otto Lilienthal

LAS757300

Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:14 pm

Dvk's never read Bernard Goldberg's Bias, it seems like.

That book's single greatest example of liberal bias was a conference call between reporters where one reporter referred to Gary Bauer is a "little nut." The rest of the book is a bitter just a bunch of complaining from a bitter man with an average career.

O'Reilly is no liberal. He may not be a Kool-aid drinker like Hannity or Limbaugh but he's conservative, except on the death penalty, which, incidentally, he opposes because it "lets the criminal off too easily." Also, the man is a prig towards women. As Al Franken says about his sexual harassment case; "It's a he said, she taped" situation.
KMSP

StowAway

Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:16 pm

No wonder you are so off the mark, Tbar. It comes from your sources.

Besides the fact that you quoted a CLEARLY BIASED SOURCE, I will give you an example of the b.s. that you have put up:

O'Reilly falsely claimed Bush didn't oppose 9-11 Commission.

President Bush didn't oppose a 9-11 commission. He opposed the original format, and who would be the commission. He wanted it to be comprised of congress members. In fact, recently, President Bush has publicly stated his intent to honor the commission's recommendations.

Let's do another:

O'Reilly interrupted a former Clinton administration official who tried to correct the record on O'Reilly's claim that terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi constitutes a direct link between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein's Iraq.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/10/17/al.zarqawi.statement/index.html
Connect the dots

Cut the crap

LAS757300

Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:30 pm

Bush did oppose the 9/11 commission. He didn't want to testify before the commission, but he relented after strong pressure from the American public.

As we all know Al-Zarqawi is in Iraq right now. However, that doesn't mean he had any meaningful connections to Saddam Hussein regime. In fact, Zarqawi was based in Kurdistan prior to the Iraq war. We could have taken him out prior to the war - Zarqawi was in a part of Iraq not under Saddam's control. The Bush administration decided not to.
KMSP