dan2002

Need Advice For A School Application.

Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:07 am

Ok, as the topic stated, I need advice on my highschool application. Im transfering schools, and im stuck on what to put for "Why you picked this school, etc" part. I cant put the real reasons, (friends, girls), and I havnt had much luck making anything up. Plus my grades have been average, so I really want to win this school over. So, where else to ask but A.Net.

Thanks,
Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

CaptOveur

RE: Need Advice For A School Application.

Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:26 am

The restraining order your last school took out against you?

But seriously,
Mention the school's great reputation or some other BS.. They love hearing that. School applications are not about being honest, they are about telling the admissions people what they want to hear.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Newark777

Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:34 am

Say you love the atmosphere, and when you walked in for the first time you knew that is where you belong. Make it seem as though they are your first and only choice.

I can't tell you how much of this crap I wrote on my college apps.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

desertjets

Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:37 am

One important thing, and the reason why they make you write essays. Bullshit is bullshit, but at least make damn sure your bullshit is grammatically correct and has some sort of logical flow and structure to it. If your bullshit is uninteligible, no matter how brillant it is, you won't make it into that school.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

dan2002

Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:58 am

Harry, atmosphere was the first thing I thought of, and im probally going to put something like that in there, but this thing needs to be a paragraph, and all I can think of is about a sentence.

DesertJets,
I have the grammar, just not the bullshit, im a good bullshitter, but this is out of my league.

Thanks,
Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

Newark777

Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:11 am

Maybe tell a story about your visit or something like that? They probably like that kind of stuff, and its creative.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

redngold

Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:48 am

---> You're going because your friends are going there

"I would like to attend a school that has a modicum of familiarity and also provides opportunities for me to meet people from more diverse backgrounds."
Up, up and away!

slider

Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:56 am

Bullshit is bullshit, but at least make damn sure your bullshit is grammatically correct and has some sort of logical flow and structure to it.

DJ's right. And the Official Corollary to that is this...

Whatever you do, make the bullshit plausible.

They have to buy it.  Big grin