HAWK21M
Topic Author

Astrology - Does It Work

Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:58 am

Astrology - Does it really work.Is it easy to predict.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

killjoy

RE: Astrology - Does It Work

Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:41 am

No.

Stupid lameness filter. Insert filler sentence here. And here.

lehpron

Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:28 am

Several religions/groups use it for vague or general ideas, prediction is based on numeralogy; the more aspects (variables) inputed, you get a more detailed picture, can't say anything in terms of accuracy.

It mainly depends on how you look at it. You get to choose to believe in it or not; remember, belief is a powerful tool of persuation; it's the first.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

SlamClick

Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:32 am

Yes, but only on clear, dark nights.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

n229nw

Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:39 pm

Only Capricorns are stupid enough to believe in astrology.

Geez.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Kay

Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:31 pm

Had a friend who worked in a company that delivered Astrology reports in one of their sections. This was in Austria, a fairly civilized country shall we say.

How did they produced these reports? They have a database that contains hundreds and hundreds of these little paragraphs. And every day the girl would just scroll through them, choose one and post it for every sign. The girl was just an office clerk by the way, her job was to select one at random, not do astrology work to decide which one.

However something astonishing is happening to me now. A friend of mine told me many weeks ago that this month will be awesome for me at my work, particularly January 21. I have been working towards moving to a better offer in Austria, and my resignation date, after long meetings and discussions with everyone, turned out to be... January 21!!!

Another thing: I discovered that every woman on this planet reads her horoscope. Every single one. We just have to get used to it.

Kay

SLC1

Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:39 pm

No, it just makes generalizations, like fortune cookies or psychics (except psychics can read you), that will often be true, and when they are you'll say hey "That's what my horoscope said" and when they're not you forget about them.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

oly720man

Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:50 pm

There is a difference between the tabloid one month suits all type and the specific time of birth type. A neighbour had his three kids astrologised by a friend and got their personalities and behaviour pretty well spot on. Whether the future can be predicted is another matter entirely.

Kept Ronnie Reagan entertained for a while though as he ruled the world.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

solnabo

Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:17 pm

I agree w Killjoy:

Nej..........Ei..........No......Njet!

Micke  Insane
Airbus SAS - Love them both

Rj111

Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:06 am

I'd never belive listen to anything in the newspaper, but once a friend of mine who was into that shit did a profile on me according to my birthtime, i found it quite accurate. You could debate they could have written any old gaffe and i would have swallowed it but i didnt find anything ridiculous in the report.

There have also been some articles on top athletes and a trend with mars.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, i'm still going to live the exact same life regardless.

n229nw

Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:06 am

Oly720 and RJ111

There is a difference between the tabloid one month suits all type and the specific time of birth type. A neighbour had his three kids astrologised by a friend and got their personalities and behaviour pretty well spot on.

once a friend of mine who was into that shit did a profile on me according to my birthtime, i found it quite accurate.

Disagree. In these cases the person doing the "reading" met the parties involved and was obviously sensitive and receptive to their personalities in drawing up a report. (Someone's "friend" can often draw up a good profile of them WITHOUT bringing any star crap into it...just from knowing them  Wink/being sarcastic )

In NO controlled test ever has an Astrologer (including many famous ones) been able to guess even star signs (let alone actual birth times, etc.) from a multiple choice sheet with better than random guessing acuracy.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

SlamClick

Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:10 am

Well, it did permit Rudolph Hess to sit out the war in relative comfort in the British Isles.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

flybyguy

Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:26 am

Hi have a Korean roomate who swears by the Chinese Astrology method. According to him there are people in asia who study it for decades and use a complex series of mathematical calculations to come up with accurate results. If any of you know any Asian people especially Chinese I guess you will know what he means.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:39 pm

There was this Incident in 1994 when one of our Aircrafts was grounded at Calicut.During our Breakfast break we decided to roam the city & came across a Face reader [Astrologer type],he was simply dressed in white with a turban & a small bag.He stayed in the Forest & his name was Jairam.

By looking at a persons face he could tell the persons past & future.And he did it with 4-5 guys out there & was very accurate.He did it for free,& never took anything in return,All he advised was to be truthfull & respect elders.

I could never under understand how it worked.Till date I could not,but it did.
regds
MEL

Rj111

Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:55 am

In these cases the person doing the "reading" met the parties involved and was obviously sensitive and receptive to their personalities in drawing up a report.

Actually i'd barely known her a day. She just happened to be doing it for a few people at my work, infact she probably got it off the internet.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Astrology - Does It Work

Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:28 pm

Some things are strange out here.Its not possible yet it occurs.There has to be an Answer.
regds
MEL

[Edited 2005-01-25 05:30:01]

mika

Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:55 pm

Disagree. In these cases the person doing the "reading" met the parties involved and was obviously sensitive and receptive to their personalities in drawing up a report.

Actually my ex girl friend got me read by a indian guy with just my time of birth, i never met the guy personally. I found that the report was pretty damn accurate in many cases however completely wrong in others. I figured that what really happens is that they put all kinds of traits and happenings in those reports and then when you see them you are just gonna look at the ones that do match but not pay so much attention to the ones that are completely off.