Falcon84
Topic Author

HS Student: Too Stressed Out, Sues School

Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:35 am

Talk about a spoiled kid.

LAW/01/21/homework.suit.ap/index.html>

If it's dismissed, I'd double his homework next summer, just to teach him a lesson, that life isn't always the way we want it.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ZKSUJ

RE: HS Student: Too Stressed Out, Sues School

Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:41 am

If this kind of thing carries on, then Schools would go out of business (ie the government would loose alot of money). Totally Ridiculous.

ANCFlyer

Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:45 am

What a crock of . . .well you know.

Mommy and Daddy obviously need to take little Tommy here out to the wood shed.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

NWA742

Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:45 am

What a crybaby.

The message you were about to post is too short and probably not of any higher value to the topic at hand. You should think long and hard before posting a message in this forum and make it detailed and a valuable addition to the topic discussed.

Avoid posting "Me Too" messages. These are messages that are posted by people who agree to a point being discussed and post a one liner, "me too!", "Good post Jim!", "I disagree" or similar message. This takes up time as readers must sort through these messages which have no real value to the group at large. Any message containing nothing more than a line or two of text is probably not worth posting.

If you have an opinion on a topic, you should in detail express why you have the opinion and what made you come to that conclusion.

Your post should be relevant to the topic discussed.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

mdsh00

Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:56 am

Another example of sue-happy America. Yes, summer homework sucks but you have the WHOLE SUMMER to do it. It says he gave up a camp counselor job because of that...can't he do it at night? Face the facts kid, getting into college is more competitive nowadays, if you can't deal with it, then drop it but don't whine. Time for teens to get a taste of the real world.

This story deserves this...

"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Scorpio

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:07 am

Anyone else not able to access the link? It doesn't even look like an internet address, could it be you laft something out? Given my profession, you can guess I'm pretty interested in this one  Big grin

mdsh00

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:10 am

Please delete..hyperlinking problem.

[Edited 2005-01-21 22:11:48]
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

mdsh00

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:11 am

Here's the address Scorpio:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/01/21/homework.suit.ap/index.html

hyperlinking it doesn't seem to work right now..

WellHung

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:11 am

Maybe high schools should teach how to properly post a link.

Anyway, that clown of a teacher should know better than to assign work like that during the summer. If it's that important, they can fit it into the school year. High school summers are for getting wasted and having fun. Not doing math.

Scorpio

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:13 am

Hmmm... starting to sense some serious trouble here. Here's the 'address' I'm seeing:

LAW/01/21/homework.suit.ap/index.html>

Is this what it's supposed to be?

edit: thanks, problem solved! Was starting to worry my computer was playing tricks on me  Big grin

[Edited 2005-01-21 22:14:16]

Falcon84
Topic Author

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:13 am

Shit, I've had that problem with links on and off for about two weeks now. Here, lemme redo it, without the hyperlink. My apologies again.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/01/21/homework.suit.ap/index.html
Work Right, Fly Hard

WellHung

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:15 am

airlinelover

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:17 am

I would understand it being rediculos if it was over homework DURING the school year. But this IS during summer. The schools should have no right to impose any sort of summer home work unless a student is in summer school. This poor kid only gets to be 17 once, and is missing out on an opportunity he apparently was really looking forward to. All this becuase a school decided to give extra homework after the term let out.

I hope this kid wins.

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

NWA742

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:18 am

Anyway, that clown of a teacher should know better than to assign work like that during the summer.

WellHung,

Many schools require extra summer work for honors courses. My old HS did.

It's not the teachers.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Scorpio

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:21 am

OK, that's pretty bad... worst of all I think is that it's the FATHER who seems to have initiated this crap. What a nice set of values he is teaching his son  Insane

Nancy

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:22 am

I think the kid's an idiot. He didn't even need to take the the class - it was honors precalculus. Honors means more work than a regular class(duh). Maybe he should have taken remedial reading instead. Sometimes we need to make choices - do I take this honors class or have my "dream job"? He chose to take the class and chose not plan out his summer so that he could do the work and have a job. Welcome to life kid- you can't have everything you want.

yyz717

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:25 am

Don't be too hard on him. I bet he has to walk barefoot for 4 miles everyday in blinding year-round snow just to get to school.

Poor little guy. Wish I could help him.  Yeah sure
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

ANCFlyer

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:26 am

Don't be too hard on him. I bet he has to walk barefoot for 4 miles everyday in blinding year-round snow just to get to school.

Uphill both ways . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

SLC1

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:40 am

This kid really is a crybaby, but there are kids out there who are way too overstressed. We had a very difficult school, even for an IB school, and combine that with people who are overachievers and there is bound to be excess stress, even if they do more work than is really asked of them. But there are times when high schools do give too much work. I missed two months of school and was expected to finish the work in one month, which was the same month that AP/IB tests were being held (of which I took 6). Let's just say that as the deadline approached, I had six or seven all-nighters or near all-nighters, with only interspersed sleep. And, I hadn't been putting it off before that either. Other times when schools give too much work, or at least mine, were over breaks that were supposed to be holidays where I would go visit relatives only to spend the majority of my time in an office doing my homework. Would I sue? Of course not. But many kids do far too little work, and many do far too much. And I bet you that those who do far too much aren't learning any more than a student with a healthy load.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

MaverickM11

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:57 am

...another reason why we're becoming a nation of ($#*&% wussies.
E pur si muove -Galileo

UAL747

Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:02 am

Try going to a private prep. school, where there are NO laws that govern the school. I got worked to death, but I was better prepared for college and higher education. My SAT and ACT scores were much higher than the average, and my work ethic was greater than most. If you don't want to take honors/AP classes, and you have a choice, then by all means, don't take them. But if you are, there is a greater expectation placed upon the student. It's rigerous for a reason. He should be HAPPY that he is in honors courses and should be willing to do the work since his experience will eventually work towards him getting into colleges. But, then again..a sue happy student that doesn't want to do the work isn't exactly college material.

It's very competative to get into college these days. You need everything from great recommendations, great GPA, great SAT/ACT scores, good college entry essays, and even at times, good interviewing skills.

Secondly, education is coming at a much faster rate. First graders are doing things at the moment that I probably did in 2nd or 3rd grade. In order to stay competative, education has to come at a faster rate.

As one of my professors in undergrad states, "Your first years at this institution will be the ones where the weak drop out and the strong suffer even more."

UAL

[Edited 2005-01-21 23:10:14]
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

flybyguy

Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:05 am

We must work our High School students harder if they are to be competitive with foreign students. Many foreign countries do not have 2 month summer breaks for students, let alone 5-day school weeks. The fact of the matter is that students must be competitive for college because students will be vying against some of the best students in the country AND the world.

In college it doesn't get any better either. I basically worked my ass off for 4 years and for the first 3 years of my career I can tell you that I pulled at least 25 all-nighters a semester because extremely heavy workload my school and major require.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

CaptOveur

Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:16 am

If this pussy thinks he is stressed out in high school he is going to leap off a building in in college. I would give him the key to the roof too, the world doesn't need anyone else who is this prone to burnouts.

If he did, by some miracle, survive college he would certainly melt down when he got out into the real world. Admittedly some high schools ride you harder than others but I am sure there are students at his school that have even more on their schedule than he does and they are probably getting by just fine.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

MaverickM11

Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:22 am

"If he did, by some miracle, survive college"

As long as he stays in the public school system, and even some private universities, he will get a "there, there" and get flagged on for "trying". The main failure of the American education system is a complete lack of accountability, personal and otherwise.
E pur si muove -Galileo

SLC1

Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:22 am

Compared to my high school, college is WAY too easy.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

mdsh00

Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:27 am

As long as he stays in the public school system, and even some private universities he will get a "there, there" and get flagged on for "trying".

Not if it is the University of California (namely Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, and Irvine). Those campuses are ruthless when it comes to grading and competition.

SFOMEX

Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:33 am

Hey Scorpio, I'm too a High School teacher. Lets pray this crap wouldn't create waves on campuses around the world. That would be the end of school, as we know it now. Besides, I don't want to be sued! Nuts
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

Zone1

Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:36 am

The thing I have a problem with is that it is Pre-Calc homework. It is wholly unnecessary for someone to have Pre-calc homework over the summer. If the class was AP Calculus BC I would be a little more understanding to the high school's position.
/// U N I T E D

SLC1

Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:46 am

If the class was AP Calculus BC

amen to that, pre-calc is not even a real math class, just a review of middle school math.

BC on the other hand, (to give you an idea what my HS was like), I got a f#@king C in that class and still got a 5 on the AP, go figure.

Skyway1

Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:17 am

Sheesh....

When I was in college I worked two jobs and went to school full-time in the summer. It sucked.....but it was managable. This kid sounds like a little bitch to me....

Chris

Nuts  Nuts
KNUK, KNUK, KNUK woowoowoo

Newark777

Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:50 am

The thing I have a problem with is that it is Pre-Calc homework

It's an honors course. No one forced him to take it (except his dad, who seems to be making the suit also), and he should have known about the work he was getting into.

pre-calc is not even a real math class, just a review of middle school math

Don't know what middle school you went to, but none around here teach anything higher than geometry, and that's just for the math geniuses.

The fact is, if I complained to any of my AP teachers about workload, I would get laughed at and told to drop if I don't like it. This kid needs to toughen up and realize the real world won't be any walk in the park where he can sue his way out of work.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Boeing7E7

Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:15 am

Mommy and Daddy obviously need to take little Tommy here out to the wood shed.

If the liberals didn't have such a hard on over an occasional ass smacking they would. If they did, they'd be in jail in a week. No doubt some little jackass who would sue over stress would turn his dad or mom into social services in a New York minute.

SLC1

Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:27 am

Don't know what middle school you went to, but none around here teach anything higher than geometry, and that's just for the math geniuses.

I took pre-calc in 9th grade, (Algebra in 6th and 7th, Geometry/Trig in 8th) as did everyone else at my high school, then IB Math Methods, AP BC Calc, and IB Further Math.

NWADC9

Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:44 am

We better sue our jobs, because they cause stress...
We better sue the TSA, because they cause stress...

Better yet, we better just sue everybody because they cause us stress.
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

MD11Engineer

Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:48 am

I hear about the same thing from my 14 yearold daughter, who is going to Junior HS in Sacramento, Ca. She´s trying to tell me the whole time that the most important thing to get into a good college is popularity, instead of good grades. She´s dreaming about the Ivy league universities, and about to get a degree from Harvard, but she is too lazy to do her maths.
I think she really believes that her mother and me can pay her tution fees in Harvard, Yale or Princeton.
Since she is living with her mom, I´ve got little influence about her schooling, but I told her that, since she´s got German citizenship, she can always come over and study here in Europe, where the tution fees are much lower.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

saxdiva

Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:36 am

MD11Engineer:

Look at it this way: if your daughter is too lazy to do her math, she's probably unlikely to score the 1250 or so that it'll take her to get accepted at an ivy league school.

Honestly, I think I'd rather go to school in Europe anyway.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

-Leanne

mdsh00

Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:42 am

I hear about the same thing from my 14 yearold daughter, who is going to Junior HS in Sacramento, Ca....I think she really believes that her mother and me can pay her tution fees in Harvard, Yale or Princeton.

There's always financial aid or one of the fine State Schools in CA.

Legacy plays a major factor in admission to the Ivy League schools. If not, then your daughter better have extremely high grades, SAT's, and preferrably set up a volunteer organization to feed Nicaraguan orphans in order to get in.

MD11Engineer

Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:51 am

Well, I can always get her into Freie Universität Berlin. after all her grandfather was teaching there, so her name should be known (just a joke... but it isn´t the worst university). Tution fees in state universities in Germany are maximum 250,- Euro a semester.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi