duke

Why Not More Long Haired Men?

Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:23 am

Nowadays, women's hair comes in all lengths. Some wear it long, others short. However, men seem to overwhelmingly have short hair. Why is it so? There seems to be a double standard in society. Women are (whatever you think of them aesthetically) generally "acceptable" pretty much whatever length of hair they have. Guys on the other hand, who don't have a "clean-cut" look tend to be looked at as somehow strange.

I am a longhair (not an extreme one, my hair is about chin-length) and wouldn't cut my hair for the best job in the world. I'd rather dig ditches with long hair than be the CEO of Microsoft with short hair. Happily, my job (teacher of English) is lax about appearance. Any of you guys have long hair? If not, why not? Would you like to or would you ever think about it?

Is it practicality? I actually find my long hair easier to comb (literally seconds parted in the middle, as opposed to the side part I fought to make when I had short hair, which would generally produce an unsightly cowlick). I also remember when I had short hair, I hated the rough feeling of the stubble on the nape of my neck. I (figuratively) can't imagine how you guys with high 'n' tight, crew or buzz cuts can stand touching your heads!

I was so ugly back when I had short hair. It just didn't work for me.

Is it because of the ladies? One thing that gets on my nerves is how typically in society, a lady may tell her partner that something about his appearance (clothes, facial hair head hair) looks bad, and he'll not only be less likely to be insulted, but will be likely to change his appearance for her (or not grow a beard, long hair etc because of her) but if a man would like his lady to please him by, for example, keeping her hair after marriage, she is more likely to accuse him of being controlling or a fetishist or whatever. Women seem to be able to freely criticize their mates' appearance, but men who dare do so even gently to their lady may find that she is angered or insulted. I imagine this double standard comes as a reaction by women to previous generations' sexism, or whatever, but I think that in the 21st century, men and women should be able to discuss the issues of their partners' appearance on an equal basis, as long as no partner is controlling about it...

gkirk

RE: Why Not More Long Haired Men?

Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:03 am

Probably because it isnt the 1960's or 1970s anymore  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

MD11Engineer

Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:07 am

Kirkiee,
I think long hair would be very impractical for you.... somebody could grab you on it during a pub fight...

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

SlamClick

Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:10 am

All the long hair you want:
http://www.mulletsgalore.com/
http://www.mulletjunky.com/
http://www.ratemymullet.com/

Seriously, for me, short hair has been a practical necessity. Even if I'd wanted long hair it wouldn't fit inside my helmet. Later, civilian employers had "grooming standards" that proscribed long hair, bushy beards, flamboyant mustaches, piercings etc.

The idea behind it in American corporate culture seems to be that your long hair might offend one customer in ten thousand but my short hair will probably not actually offend anyone. YOU might think I look like an inmate but you probably would not refuse to ride on my airplane because my hair was not down over my collar.

In my personal opinion a man reaches a certain age where long hair begins to look silly. Near the end of his life, Lyndon Johnson wore it down over his collar and looked very foolish. Also, IMO, long hair is much more work and so a man who wears it long is probably vain about it. Vanity, in western culture used to be a feminine trait. No insult intended there, I think we are actually well past that bit of judgement, but still ...

Most straight mails spend more time reviewing the beer menu than they do on looking good. Sorry, I can't brush long hair and still have time to clean under my fingernails. One or the other has got to go. I dry my hair in twenty seconds with a towel, brush it over one time and I am done for the day.

Now in the entertainment field, and among those who do not have to worry about what their employer thinks, it is different.

My vanity lies elsewhere. Besides, my hair gets wavy when it gets too long. Long hair is sort of like a hat. Wear it with confidence or not at all.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

AA777

Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:20 am

Longish hair is actually coming back in. In argentina, & Uruguay, I would say that most of the younger guys had longish hair. Its stylish.... I personally wouldnt look good with it, but as long as its not too long, I have nothing against it....

The newestr versace, calvin klein ads all have guys with long hair...

-AA777

gkirk

Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:24 am

Jan, hence why I have short hair  Laugh out loud  Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

air2gxs

Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:28 am

Corporate and societal norms dictate that a man's hair be short. Just like societal norms in the 60's and early 70's encouraged longer hair (corporate standars never did).

As for long hair being easier; if mine gets any longer than 1 inch, it starts to curl. Yeah, that's real easy to comb. Right now I get out of the shower, run a brush through it and I'm done.

PDPsol

Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:32 am

AA777,

You're absolutely right about Argentina/Uruguay. I've always been baffled with all those guys in Buenos Aires and Montevideo and the beaches of Punta del Este, all quite handsome mind you, trying to go for the early-90's Andre Agassi look...

Also, here in NYC, there are SOME fashionista-type guys with longish hair; you see them with models at nice restaurants/bars all the time.

HAWK21M

Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:53 am

If it suits you Great.
I find the Wild look with Gell'd hair falling all over to be cool.
However my Look suits the Typical Shorter hair for Men  Smile

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Alessandro

Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:45 am

I have long hair, it cost money, shampoo is expensive if you shower at least once a day and I always wear my fugly fur hat outdoors during 8 months a year due to not having the time for a hairdry in the mornings.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

goboeing

Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:55 am

Speaking of very old men with long hair, I just watched Ghostbusters yesterday for the first time in a while and was reminded of Vigo the Carpathian.

Nick

UAL747

Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:13 am

There's me, with long hair....

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

aerorobnz

Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:07 am

I don't know, I guess most people are conformists who don't want to be different. The same could be asked of mohawks (I mean real ones, not the Beckham/Rhodesian Ridgeback look)... I'm keen to grow my hair a little longer so that I can make real spikes/proper mohawk but at the moment I feel it is not the ideal time while looking for a Customer Service Job. Maybe once I got Security clearance I'd consider it.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

flybyguy

Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:28 am

Ual747,

The photo you posted reminds me of an old middle school friend in Maspeth, NY. The resemblance is erie.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

Thom@s

Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:09 am

I wear it short... but many people I know have long hair... Then again that's much because of the environment...

http://nordavind.vierna.net/images/live/P1000265.jpg

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

bristolflyer

Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:33 am

Mine's been short for about 15 yrs, would never go back to long hair. Duke, you say that your hair takes seconds to comb - well mine doesn't even take that long. I lost my hairbrush a long time ago and haven't missed it. A brief once over with the hands when it's wet and the job's a good 'un.

BF
Fortune favours the brave

USAFHummer

Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:02 am

I've always been curious to what I'd look like with long hair, but after letting it grow for a few months recently, its painfully apparent that my hair is way too curly to let that happen...I end up with a fro...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

September11

Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:20 am

I never see a male flight attendant with long hair. I think they are not allowed to work flights with long hair. Am I correct?

Airliners.net of the Future

NWADC9

Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:38 am

"There's me, with long hair...."
That photo looks like a girl.

Why not more long-haired men? Because they're afraid that Arnold Swartzenagar would call them "girly-men" Laugh out loud Big thumbs up
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

Logan22L

Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:55 am

I remember when I was 7 or 8 my Dad took me to the barber and asked if I wanted to wear my hair long, and I did, so from then on it was just about shoulder length. That is until about ten years ago and I started balding and since I didn't like "The David Crosby Look" I cut it all off. Since then I keep it very short with an electric trimmer every couple of weeks. I keep the beard as a reminder that hair can still grow on me.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

Convair990

Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:01 am

Dang...some guy took my exact words several posts ago, and I didn't notice initially....  Sad Go ahead and delete this response  Smile

[Edited 2005-01-24 22:02:22]
The University of Georgia Bulldogs are girlie men!!

PHLBOS

Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:18 am

Actually, many people who had long hair in their youth are now longing for hair.  Laugh out loud
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

karan69

Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:18 am

Initially Long hair was a compulsion for me[religious regions]---but now after trimming it down to my shoulders lenght,everyone around me
[myself included] thinks its simply great.
As far as India is concerned long hair is really picking up in BOM, especially among catholic/christian communities.

damirc

Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:19 am

Hm. Actually of my friends somewhere around the half have short hair - and the other half has long hair ... but I certainly lead the pack in this respect. Currently at 75 cm (just short of 30 inches) long  Smile

D.

duke

Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:08 pm

"There's me, with long hair...."
That photo looks like a girl.

Why not more long-haired men? Because they're afraid that Arnold Swartzenagar would call them "girly-men"

LOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

chris78cpr

Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:06 am

I have long hair and i love it! Big grin

Much nicer that short hair!

Chris
5D2/7D/1D2(soon to be a 1Dx) 17-40L/24-105L/70-200F2.8L/100-400L/24F1.4LII/50F1.2L/85F1.2LII

tristarenvy

Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:53 am

Ah, the early 90's when long hair was in! That's the wife and I in 1990. The hair goes another 3-4 inches down the back! I cut it "business short" a few months after the photo was taken...

If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

jaysit

Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:02 am

Because Yanni and Fabio are not cool anymore.

And never were.

That's why.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

copaair737

Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:45 am

I got really long hair. Its down past my shoulders. People always give me dirty looks as well. Its naturally black, so that gets stares. I always seem to get called "Joey Ramone" for some reason. I do think I resemble a member of the ramones, but the number of times I actually get called that is ridiculous.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

saxdiva

Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:54 am

Logan22L

Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:43 am

Saxdiva: Good one! I'm well past that stage, though. I gave up on hair about 10 years ago.

Tristarenvy: Great. Not only do I now know that you used to shave your nuts, but now I have a picture of you to go with it.  Angry  Wink/being sarcastic

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."