aloges

Bad Spelink

Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:25 am

Hi everyone!

Especially in recent times, I've noticed a stunning fact on a.net: I find myself, a native German speaker, correcting loads of spelling mistakes made by native English speakers. Yes, most of them are American.

I'm not talking about cultural differences ("color" or even "gotta") nor am I on about sloppiness leading to mistakes like switched letters ("toomrrow"); nobody's perfect. I'm rather concerned about a pattern of incorrect spelling. For example, many confuse the letters i and a as in "definately". Maybe you pronounce it like that, but please spell it correctly. It's a nuisance and I think it's detrimental to your credibility. Here's a short list with some avoidable mistakes, it would be much appreciated if you gave avoiding them a thought:

mixing up "they're", "their" and "there"
mixing up "its" and "it's"
mixing up "who's" and "whose"
confusing the letters i, a and o as in "definately" and "tomarrow"
shortening "would have" to "would of" instead of "would've"

In addition to that, I think it's weird that some people show support for or disagreement with people they can't even spell; I just read the name "Giulianni". Please, he's no al-Zarqawi who could also be spelt "al-Zarkawi" but a well-known American politician whose name at least his supporters should get right.

Again, I'm stumped that a non-native speaker like me is more bothered by these mistakes than native-speakers. I hope I can contribute a little bit to the quality of the language used here, and if you find any mistakes in this post, feel free to correct them - except for the topic, of course.

best regards

[Edited 2005-01-23 16:54:27]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

air2gxs

RE: Bad Spelink

Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:35 am

I agree. Spelling and grammar are my biggest pet peeves. In fact, I was attacked on this site because I asked someone (what appeared to be a native American speaker, who had lucid and correct posts in the past) to check his grammar before posting.

I can understand the non-English speakers, but those of us that speak and write English as a first language should be more careful. I tend to blame Microsoft Office and its fairly comprehensive, though annoying, grammar and spell checker. We've become too lazy.

backfire

Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:23 am

I suggested in the 'Site Related' forum a temporary ban on native English-speakers who perpetually demonstrate lazy spelling or grammar.

The idea was shot down, mainly by those who didn't read my original post...

Jaspike

Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:27 am

Here's one that annoys me. Posted this loads..  Laugh out loud

"alot" = wrong
"a lot" = correct

Tom

aloges

Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:38 am

Tom, what you pointed out really annoys me "alot".  Big grin

one more for the list

Make that three more, some people think the "s" indicating a plural needs an apostrophe: "guard's". The other one is "aircrafts".  Sad

Scorpio

Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:45 am

I agree 100%. I tend to disagree that it's just the Americans, though. I've noticed that quite a few of our UK members are even worse than the Americans. I'm not sure whether it has to do with the level of education in these countries, or because it's just no longer 'done' to mind how you write something.

I teach English to 14 - 15 year-olds, and I dare say that their spelling is, on average, better than that of many of the native speakers here. And these kids are learning English as their third language...

theCoz

Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:50 am

Considering our president isn't too great with his first language...or any language for that matter...I don't suppose Americans value proper language and grammar. That's pathetic if you ask me.

Capital146

Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:26 am

Not everyone has the same level of education and ability to communicate perfectly in written form, just as some people are not so good at maths or sports. Whilst there may on occasions be a degree of laziness with the standard of grammar, in most cases it is down to ability.

To suggest a temporary ban on offending users is way over the top. People don't make the errors on purpose, so why should they be punished? Maybe pushing more for people to use the spell check would be more effective.

On a side note, a few years ago there was a quiz show on British TV called 'Going For Gold' which had 6 contestants from different European countries who had to buzz in with the answers to questions read in English. It always amazed and somewhat embarrassed me that the the British contestant never seemed to win, even though they didn't have to understand a foreign language like the the rest of them!
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

aloges

Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:43 am

I think I should add that every time I'm not sure about the spelling of a word, I look it up. Same goes for translations, I think the internet easily qualifies as the biggest of all dictionaries. I may be biased because you need a dictionary if you want to write perfect German, but looking up words you don't know exactly doesn't seem like too much work to me.

British767

Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:49 am

I do think that some of the time, native speakers will make more mistakes than people learning the respective language. I feel that this is mainly down to the fact the people who are learning the language, are paying more attention to grammar and spelling, as these may be essential to get right in an exam, which they need to take, or they are simply trying to get it right first time.

For some native speakers, it probably isn't as important, because they already feel they speak the language and therefore there is no need to go into detail with the grammar and spelling (with the exception of primary school, and some secondary education). People don't normally see it like this, but that is basically what is going on.

Well, that's my opinion anyway.

I am in agreement with what Capital146 said:

To suggest a temporary ban on offending users is way over the top. People don't make the errors on purpose, so why should they be punished?

I think it is unfair to punish someone for incorrect spelling, as it may indeed be down to their ability. After all, aren't forums, such as the one here on Airliners.net, about spreading information, rather than critisising somebody's ability to spell?!

[Edited 2005-01-23 19:53:09]

skysurfer

Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:18 am

Hey, if some people can't spell then i guess they can't spell.....but there's also other people that purposely spell things incorrectly to shorten their time spent typing. It makes you wonder what their grades in school were though!However, it does make me shake my head with the amount of spelling mistakes made, but then again i'm not a judge and i get some words wrong from time to time. My biggest problem is that i like to shorten words down when i'm on the computer, but then if i have to handwrite a message at work i find myself making all kinds of mistakes due to my computer 'shorthand'. Give it a few years and people will no longer be able to spell correctly or write anything by hand...we'll be carrying around our pocket pc's with us! hehe

Cheers  Smile
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

SlamClick

Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:27 am

Thecoz you wrote: "Considering our president isn't too great with his first language...or any language for that matter...I don't suppose Americans value proper language and grammar. That's pathetic if you ask me."

If you are suggesting that the people who spell badly on this forum went through their schooling, grades K-12 under the administration of George W. Bush you overlook one thing - kids who could complete 13 years of school in just over 4 years ought to be pretty damn smart.

If you are not suggesting that, then your utterly baseless blaming of their spelling on the current President would suggest that perhaps critical thinking is lagging behind even spelling in our school system.

Hint: It is not ALL about partisan politics all the time.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

dl021

Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:32 am

I agree with Aloges here. There are plenty of posts whose basic point is lost when they criticize others using poor grammar and incorrect spellink.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

NKP S2

Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:22 am

S&C:

If you are suggesting that the people who spell badly on this forum went through their schooling, grades K-12 under the administration of George W. Bush you overlook one thing - kids who could complete 13 years of school in just over 4 years ought to be pretty damn smart.

If you are not suggesting that, then your utterly baseless blaming of their spelling on the current President would suggest that perhaps critical thinking is lagging behind even spelling in our school system.

Hint: It is not ALL about partisan politics all the time

Bingo. 100 thwacks of a ruler over the knuckles to those who make this political. ( and a bit of salt for good measure )

Back to the subject at hand though:

Since being online ( geginning in '99 ) I've found myself both annoyed and dismayed at bad spelling, and have become somewhat of a stickler; Quite ironic, given that spelling and grammar were my absolute least favorite subject K-12.

I've also noticed how many try to mitigate their poor spelling by blaming it in typing ability, or lack thereof. Sorry, but "breaks" for "brakes", "rummer" for "rumor", "dribble" for "drivel" are NOT typos. Let's not forget the #1 ranking offender, "loose" for "lose". I see those, and the poster, in my vision, is some knuckle dragging, mouth breather with a room temperature IQ.

aloges

Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:28 am

I think GWB wasn't mentioned to blame him, but for mentioning he's not that great of a role model. However, I agree it didn't really belong here.

Ready4Pushback

Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:37 am

Hmm, I think this is a troubling subject (responding to the original post), and I think that you are too harsh. I have lived in a number of countries in my life and the one thing that I have come to understand is that, quite often, people who are learning a second language are sometimes better at the grammar and spelling than their first language (and therefore a German speaking English can probably spot these mistakes better than an American or Briton). Maybe it is because they didn't necessarily learn their first language in a school, but picked it up. In fact I went to university with a German, and his English was better than my [strong geordie accent] English!

I give you an example. I have seen quite a few people (mostly Americans, though I'm not attacking them) use the word "gotten". Now, I have never used this word before, but I have seen a number of people being corrected, and told that there is no such word, "gotten" (as in, "having gotten home, ..."). However, it seems to me that this is the type of word that can be manufactured given the rules of the language. I used the word "tret" the other day instead of "treated". To me, the word "tret" (to be "treated" in some fashion - past tense) sounds natural, but it's not I suppose.

What is more troubling, I think, is that young people nowadays completely disregard whole words and use another word that sounds similar. I heard a boy use the word "brought" instead of "bought" the other day. I asked him about it and apparently it's commonplace. This is terrible!

BTW, my personal hate, and it REALLY bugs me is the incorrect usage of "there", "their" and "they're".

Gary.
ps. I have just spell-checked this post and the word "gotten" was not found to be incorrect. Perhaps it is an accepted American addition to the language!?

QANTASforever

Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:53 am

ONCE AND FOR ALL LADIES AND GENTLEMEN PLEASE READ:

Jimmy is going over THERE to get some ice cream.

Bill and Caroline are staying at THEIR beach house.

Phillip and Stephanie are busy, THEY'RE working on a project.

Any questions boys and girls?

QFF

Oh! P.S: Americans - I love you guys but it is "ISRAEL" and not "ISREAL".
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

707CMF

Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:09 am

I should of known that the aircrafts were prolly parked in the hangers.
Mind you, this A380 seems alot bigger then the A300. Oh, by the way, are you an athiest ? That's wierd...

Sorry, I cannot remember all of my grammatical ans spelling pet peeves (am still a bit sick right now...) but I guess you got the story right. Right ?

Cheers,

MD-90

Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:17 am

It's because the federal and state governments control the state schooling and steal money from every family, regardless of whether they have children or not, to pay for the massive jobs program.

If there were more private schools and more homeschooling, this shameful trend would be reversed.

State schoo*coughindoctrination*ling should be ended. Immediately.

aloges

Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:08 am

"State schoo*coughindoctrination*ling should be ended. Immediately."

I understand why you have a problem with state schooling, but care to enlighten me how e.g. a single mother with no high school degree working two jobs to feed her three children would be able to teach them what it takes to enter college? I don't think there's a viable solution to this besides state schooling.

sk902hvy

Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:57 am

Ready4Pushback:

“Gotten” is indeed a real word. It is the past participle form of the verb “to get” in American English. Can any Canadians confirm if it is accepted/used in Canada today?

From here:

Both got and gotten are standard past participles of get. Of the two gotten is older, but both date from the Middle English period. By the seventeenth century the forms were about equally common.

And from here:

American and British English have a common root back in the days of the Pilgrim Fathers. At the time, American was very much the same as that spoken back in Britain, but from that point on the two languages started to diverge. This has led to a accusations of some words and grammar being Americanisms, when in fact they're far from it - they are true to their origins, and it is British English which has been changed, sometimes under foreign influence.

Of course, some of these words have long been considered unacceptable in British English. Gotten is a good example. Americans continue to use it (although it isn't always considered good grammar), but it has long been out of use on the other side of the Atlantic. Yet the gotten and getten are both words from early British English. Shakespeare uses the word, as does Henry Fielding, Oscar Wilde and Walter Scott, and it is retained in the expression ill-gotten.

So Brits started using it first and Americans just continued the trend.  Big thumbs up

Regards,
sk902hvy

P.S. -- Note that the error in the second italicized paragraph is as it appears in the original.

N801NW

Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:58 am

My A.net pet peeve. They are "fares" not "fairs" when referring to airline ticket prices.

AsstChiefMark

Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:10 am

My peeve in stores and shops are people who write: .50¢ instead of $.50 or 50¢ . Every now and then I grab ten .50¢ candy bars, walk up to the cashier, toss down a nickel, and walk out. The cops can't arrest me because I'm paying the posted price.

Big thumbs up

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

QANTASforever

Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:14 pm

One of my favourites:

"We woke up at 1am in the morning."

QFF

MD11Engineer

Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:21 pm

It is hangar, not hanger!

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

sovietjet

Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:11 pm

Lol, I'm surprised someone hasn't written "nucular" instead of nuclear yet. Considering how Bush says it like that all the time....

MD-90

Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:09 pm

I understand why you have a problem with state schooling, but care to enlighten me how e.g. a single mother with no high school degree working two jobs to feed her three children would be able to teach them what it takes to enter college? I don't think there's a viable solution to this besides state schooling.

Of course that's a problem. But still, why should other people pay for a woman's kids whose education she can't afford? If public schools were not available, then the likelihood that a woman would be willing to have kids if she didn't have her "free" day care service available would be lessened, I reckon. At the very least, state schooling could be scaled back. If, as it has been proposed, all Christians in the US withdrew their children from the public schools on Monday, they'd be closed by Wednesday.

Poor spelling is a result of deliberate non-teaching of phonics in the 20th century in American public schools.

Students are not taught the rules, although the smarter ones manage to figure them out.

Spelling: A Lost Art
http://www.lewrockwell.com/taylor/taylor79.html

Spelling: The Alphabetic Code
http://www.lewrockwell.com/taylor/taylor81.html

StowAway

Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:13 pm

Considering our president isn't too great with his first language...or any language for that matter...I don't suppose Americans value proper language and grammar. That's pathetic if you ask me.

...and the "Obsession," award for the day goes to Thecoz! Well done.

Pet Peeve: It is ASININE not ASSININE. I hate to see my favorite word ruined!  Laugh out loud
A monkey's ass always talks crap.

Ready4Pushback

Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:27 pm

Sk902hvy:

Very true - I stand corrected. I did, however read that the word was adopted by the Americans after the British/Amercan split, but the evidence suggests you are correct, and who can argue with Shakespeare?

Interestingly, I personally think that British English has moved on more than American English since the split. Consider the use of z's:
British: Capitalise
American: Capitalize (isn't it?).
I'm sure that the American version is closer to the original. If my history is correct, however, Webster (American) removed all of the u's. (neighbour/neighbor, favour/favor.)

I have a really good book on the origins of English and the history, and has a whole chapter on the American spilt, and goes into the origins of the use of "buck" (as in dollar), for example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0340829931/qid=1106562090/ref=pd_ka_0/026-2465368-8268418

g

Scorpio

Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:48 pm

But still, why should other people pay for a woman's kids whose education she can't afford?

Because the KIDS can't help it that their parents are poor, and thus they deserve an equal chance? Or just because it's the decent thing to do?

If public schools were not available, then the likelihood that a woman would be willing to have kids if she didn't have her "free" day care service available would be lessened, I reckon.

You don't actually believe that, do you? In the days before sending kids to school was mandatory, which families do you think had the MOST kids, on average? That's right: the poor ones, who didn't send them to school.

At the very least, state schooling could be scaled back.

BS. The LEVEL of state schooling in the US should be increased.

To give you an example: Here in Belgium, almost all schools are state sponsored. And I can guarantee you that the level of high school education is a LOT higher than it is in the US.

oly720man

Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:46 pm

It is the PC "taking part that counts" attitude that pervades society that's to blame. Don't do it right, just do it however you can.

People just don't want their kids to have their schoolwork with all those red kisses on, it's very embarrassing and causes grave psychological damage that lasts a lifetime.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

QANTASforever

Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:11 pm

MD-90 -

What nonsense. What sweeping statements. You seriously believe that a person can only truly be well educated at a private school?

I don't believe that for a second. I know many people who went to public schools who are extremely intelligent and successful. I went to a private school yet do not claim for a second that the standard of education I received was superior to that received in a public school.

Lurch

RE: Bad Spelling

Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:36 pm

Public School as in a paying Establishment I never went to one of those what's even more Interesting none of my fellow UK Spotters/Photographers I know of went to one.

I use the spell check all the time its working but a lot of its word suggestions it comes up with are just plain wrong as in you punch in LHR and you get Lahore! Which seems a wee bit strange also their are several different versions of ENGLISH being used all over the Globe which dose not help.

UK

Standard
Scouse
Northern
Scottish

Which each have there own ways of Spelling and Prouncing(spell check didn't have a clue) words then you have all the local versions of the spoken language that will creep in to the typed messages.

Add to this the other versions Such as American Canadian Australian & New Zealand Which are vastly different than Standard English but all stem from the mother tongue you will begin to under stand the problem you will have policing ENGLISH.

Along with text Language which is further eroding the Mother tongue!

Ready4Pushback

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:14 am

Clearly, the spell checker doesn't pick up on lack of commas and full stops (periods)!
 Big thumbs up

Jaspike

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:28 am

Ready4Pushback: and random capital letters. That's another thing that gets on my nerves  Laugh out loud

Tom

saxdiva

Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:58 am

I've been avoiding this thread because I knew that reading it put me at risk of going on a full-blown rant, which is something I don't have time for at the moment.

HOWEVER...

I will make two points. First, phonics are great for kids who learn that way (I didn't), but the tradition of teaching them--or not--is not solely responsible for the writing skills among Americans. Neither are the schools, for that matter.

Want to know what's killing American writing skills?

1. People have gotten (and yes, that's a word) out of the habit of reading, and when you don't read, you don't have the same intuitive ability to recognize proper spelling and grammar. It's the simple fact that nobody wants to face up to.

Which brings me to my next point:

2. Americans (although I see the same trends occurring across the Atlantic) don't write well because they don't CARE.

It's not the schools' fault. The schools can only do the best they can in the five or six hours they have each day to work with these kids. In general, however, they're working with the most apathetic minds imaginable, and that's reinforced AT HOME. Want to know why Johnny can't write? Johnny, and his parents--don't understand that this nation is going to be so handicapped by its collective lack of writing skills that we will have--probably in my lifetime--an elite class of scribes who will be the only people capable of communicating well enough to draft a law or read a contract carefully. Instead, Johnny's parents come home after their 50-hour workweek, turn on the T.V. instead of picking up a book, and are themselves unable to recognize coherent prose, much less understand why it's important. They not only DON'T help Johnny with his writing homework... they CAN'T.

I'm sorry... I know it must sound as though I've gone stark raving mad, but this drives me absolutely nuts. I've spent the last twelve years of my life working in marketing communications, and a major part of my job has involved expending massive amounts of effort in order to transform poorly-written prose into comprehensible English. The saddest part about it all? Almost without exception, this was written by people who held college degrees. If our college graduates don't feel it's important to be able to communicate effectively, who will?

Okay... ... end of rant.
-Leanne

gkirk

Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:23 am

Aye, thon text message type spellings r a wee bit annoying. NE1 else think so?
 Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

saxdiva

Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:25 am

Kirk, you're giving me hives. Stop it!

Wink/being sarcastic

Logan22L

Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:36 am

Saxdiva: Actually, you restrained yourself rather well, I thought. Spot on. Also, the computer, for all its advantages, has seriously depersonalized us. I seriously wonder if, in 10-20 years or so, we will have people running our businesses who can only rely on e-mails (poor spelling and all) and are incapable of interacting with other people in person.

My girlfriend and I have shelves and shelves of books, and we both read at least 1/2 to one hour a day. I can't believe how spoon-fed America has become, and that movies are so damn popular because it's all there for you, 99% thought-free.

Fyodor Dostoevsky, Albert Camus, Franz Kafka, Jack Kerouac, Charles Bukowski, John Fante, Henry Miller, Sylvia Plath...pick up a book and dust off your brain.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

Lucky727

Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:06 am

It's true that native anglophones make more mistakes...perhaps because they learned English aurally as children, and a lack of 'enforced literacy' in schooling results in phonetic (and extremely poor) spelling.

In contrast, those who learned English as a second or third language did so in a structured environment from a textbook. It's rare for native anglophones to cover the rules as thoroughly, so we're all impressed to read an immactulately-written, 1200-word trip report by a German speaker, and shocked to find a 3-line post by a English speaker with 6 typos in it.

I think that posting the following pet peeves only goes halfway : one has to point out the differences between them...

mixing up "they're", "their" and "there"

"they're" is a contraction of "they are"
"their" is a posessive, indicating "belonging to them"
"there" denotes place, "over there"

mixing up "its" and "it's"

"its" is an irregular posessive. Most possessives get an 's (i.e. Kevin's), but the apostrophe is dropped so as not to confuse it with the contraction of "it is" (i.e. it's unfortunate). Odd, how the differentiation is informed by an irregularity - easy to see how that confuses people. This is also why so many people add 's to pluralize. What a mess  Big thumbs up

Ironically, the only people drawn to read this thread are those annoyed by the sloppy use of language. At least there are a few of us left...

As for personal pet peeves, mine are :

"Would of" instead of the correct "would have" - blame it on phonetics.

Kevin
··· [·] oooooooo [·] oooo oo ooooo [·] ooooooooooooooooooo [·]

MD-90

Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:27 am

Saxdiva, TV plays a huge role as well. It literally does rot your mind. And I believe that a lot of people don't read very much because they can't read well. It is absurd that someone can be in school for 13 years and graduate not being able to read proficiently.

It's not the schools' fault.

Ever read John Taylor Gatto's magnum opus, The Underground History of American Education?

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/index.htm

"According to the Connecticut census of 1840, only one citizen out of every 579 was illiterate and you probably don’t want to know, not really, what people in those days considered literate; it’s too embarrassing. Popular novels of the period give a clue: ‘Last of the Mohicans’, published in 1826, sold so well that a contemporary equivalent would have to move 10 million copies to match it. If you pick up an uncut version you find yourself in a dense thicket of philosophy, history, culture, manners, politics, geography, analysis of human motives and actions, all conveyed in data-rich periodic sentences so formidable only a determined and well-educated reader can handle it nowadays. Yet in 1818 we were a small-farm nation without colleges or universities to speak of. Could those simple folk have had more complex minds than our own?"

So what's happened since 1840? The massive growth of government at all levels (but especially on the federal level), and the invention of television.

Or take a look at some of Linda Schrock Taylor's excellent articles:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/taylor/taylor-arch.html