skytrain

London Universities

Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:09 am

Well, as it's my final year in high school, I've been through the whole university application thing, and aside from some schools here in Canada, I’ve applied to London City University and London School of Economics in the UK.

I have since received acceptances to both of these schools for the following programs: Accounting and Finance at LSE, and Economics & Accountancy, Business Studies and Banking and International Finance at City. Basically, I'm not sure what would be best, so I was hoping maybe some who's had some experience with either of these schools could shed some light on the situation.

Firstly, I could go to LSE for the 3-year degree program in Accounting and Finance, which I'm leaning towards, since apparently the school is top notch. This would also mean that I would only have to pay the tuition for the 3-years, which is a significant savings over City, since I'm deemed as an "overseas" student (despite being a UK citizen). On the other hand, with City, I would get a 4-year program that would include a work placement or an internship with KMPG. This would be valuable experience, and I figure I could always look to this company after graduating for employment. I would also make some money while doing this. Failing that, I could just save the cash and go to school here in Canada.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the programs or schools. If so, how was it? Secondly, any ideas on which one I should choose? If I took LSE, how tough would it be to find a job in London afterwards?

Any advice/input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers - Skytrain.

British767

RE: London Universities

Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:18 am

I am applying for uni this year to do Business and/with German, but I couldn't apply to LSE, as they didn't do that course. But I have heard very good things about it. It is one of the higest ranked universities in the UK. It is ranked 4th best university in the UK out of 100, whilst City is down at 55th.

Go here for more league tables:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,716,00.html

[Edited 2005-01-28 01:22:27]

dc10tim

Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:41 am

Go to LSE! It's one of the best universities in the world for finance/commerce. No, you wont be short of a job afterwards. An opportunity like that cannot be missed. Numerous well known people in the financial world went there. You say you have UK citizenship, were you born in Canada or over here? If you were born in the UK then funding should be the same as for any other UK student.

Tim.
Obviously missing something....

Pe@rson

Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:45 am

Please pay little attention to what is stated in The Times' or The Guardian's university reviews, for they are simply guides - they are not to be taken literally.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

skytrain

Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:47 pm

Yeah thanks guys for your comments. I had been looking at those tables and noticed that City seems to measure up far better when you just compare the business programs, although LSE is generally considered to be leaps and bounds ahead from what I've read.

Cheers - Skytrain.