theCoz

What's The History Of Bagpipes?

Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:39 pm

I don't care about the music, and this isn't a duplicate thread.

What's exactly behind the creation of these things?

Did they just rip some animal's bladder out and attach a horn to it one day?

yooyoo

RE: What's The History Of Bagpipes?

Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:26 pm

Bagpipes......the foulest wind instrument ever designed by man.

It sounds like somebody is blowing air up a cats ass.  Wow!

My Scottish friends tell me it's been part of their heritage for hundreds of years and is a symbol of their proud heritage.

I'll tell you one thing.....i'd have more respect for the Scottish if they would burn those "bags".  Wink/being sarcastic

Andreas  Big thumbs up
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

MD11Engineer

Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:28 pm

The history goes back to ancient Egypt. All bagpipes are double reed instruments, related to early forms of the oboe.
The problem with those instruments is that they need a lot of wind, and to keep on playing somebody had the idea to attach an animal bladder between the mouthpiece (which contains a small check valve) and the instrument. Later somebody had the idea to enlarge the bag and to attach a varying number of drones. pipes, often in single reed design, which would play a constant tone for the whole time. Other developments were the attachment of a bellows instead of the mounthpiece.
In the middle ages the bagpipes were played all over Europe, though today they only have seeemed to survive in Spain (Gaita Gallega), Scottland (Highland Bagpipes), Czech Republic (Böhmischer Bock, Bohemian Billy Goat, so called, because the connecting piece between the bag and the chanter is often carved to look like a goat), the Breton Musette, the Northumbrian Smallpipes and the Irish Uillean Pipes (with a bellows).

The Scottish Highland bagbipes are the biggest and loudest of the whole set and consist of one chanter (double reed) and three drones attached to a bag. They were originally played alone and outside only (Pibroch), the modern military pipe band is a Victorian invention.
The Gaita Gallega is usually played with the company of small hand drums and tambourines.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

DeskPilot

Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:59 pm

I understand the Irish designed them and then gave them to the Scotts to struggle with  Smile
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

gkirk

Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:04 pm

http://www.visitdunkeld.com/bagpipe-history.htm
You may find this link of interest  Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Thom@s

Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:17 pm

They were originally designed by the scots as a way to scare the sheep off to Wales to avoid giving in to temptation.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

gkirk

Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:42 pm

Insane  Insane  Insane  Insane  Insane  Insane  Insane
Boring, very fecking boring....  Yeah sure
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

MD11Engineer

Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:02 pm

Thomas,

Kirkie probably only knows how to play the hairy bagpipes....  Wink/being sarcastic

BTW, the great Scottish Highland Bagpipes were the first weapon of mass destruction and as such banned after the Battle of Culloden (under their French leader Bonnie Prince Charlie).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

GDB

Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:06 pm

On the field of battle, the wail of bagpipes usually mean a regiment of mentalists is on the way, even in places like El-Alemien in 1942, giving good cause for the enemy to shit themselves.