Thom@s
Topic Author

And The Worlds Cleanest Country Is...

Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:51 pm

FINLAND!

Experts at the Universities in Yale and Columbia, have combined 21 different environmental indications in 146 countries, and from these results made a list over which countries are the cleanest.

Among the things they have looked at are water and air pollution in the different countries.

Finland has been announced the winner of this test, mainly due to the environmental politics the country has, and also because of the low density in the population, say the researchers.

The Top 5 list is:

1. Finland
2. Norway
3. Uruguay
4. Sweden
5. Iceland

At the bottom of the list are countries like Tawian, Turkmenistan, Iraq, and Uzbekistan.

The group of researchers claim they are not looking to make the worlds leaders look bad as a result of this test, but they know it will affect them one way or another.

Britain and Tony Blair will not be happy with their position in 66th place on the list. USA are in 45th place.

The researchers are encouraging Britain and the US to compare their results with countries that are natural to compare with. They claim Britain could learn a lot from countries like Japan and Germany, which are both heavily populated and industrialized countries, but which despite this are high up on the list.

The complete list for anyone interested: http://www.yale.edu/esi/ESI2005_Main_Report.pdf

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

mdsh00

RE: And The Worlds Cleanest Country Is...

Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:59 pm

I'm not too surpised by the U.S. ranking. There are some areas which look exceptionally clean, but then you take a trip into LA on a hot day or New Jersey on any day  Smile-D) and you can see how the US gets this ranking.

I was surprised though that India got 101, higher than China.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

aerorobnz

Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:35 pm

Well I guess the Aussies beat us again....13 Australia, 14 NZ....Oh well not too bad then.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

NZ747

Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:43 pm

Well I guess the Aussies beat us again....13 Australia, 14 NZ....Oh well not too bad then.

I'm surprised your not used to the Aussies kicking our ass in everything. It's not like we don't expect it.

There's only one clean bit in New Zealand and that is 1/2 the south island. And Australia?

Alessandro

Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:52 pm

I thought it was Singapore...
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

NZ747

Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:57 pm

I thought it was Singapore...

What does Singapore so with all it's rubbish? I have heard that Singapore pays Malaysia to take it away, but I don't know if it is true.

EZYAirbus

Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:01 pm

Id say Singapore, the cleanest place ive ever been to!!

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

HAWK21M

Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:32 pm

What about New Zealand.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

JGPH1A

Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:37 pm

France - 36 !

Clearly they didn't take into account AF's planes !  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

caribb

Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:55 pm

Canada is 6th. That's cool... obviously they didn't really look deeply into the cleanliness of cities where most of us live and work but hey I'll take it  Smile

greaser

Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:40 pm

What does Singapore so with all it's rubbish? I have heard that Singapore pays Malaysia to take it away, but I don't know if it is true.

Actually, they dump their trash (of which cant be burnt in their incinerators) on their 'islands'. It is interesting to note Singapore consists of a group of islands, most of which really small, but they dump their junk on one or two of them, i.e trash island.
Now you're really flying

keno

Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:10 pm

Singapore might have super clean streets because of their infamous $500 fine for littering, but this ranking also takes into consideration of air pollution & other environmental issues. Too many cars in a densely populated island, southeast Asia's largest petroleum refinery centre & one of world's busiest airports can't possibly have the cleanest air to breath in!

DIJKKIJK

Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:06 am

I would vote for Switzerland.

Very very clean indeed!
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

FDXmech

Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:27 am

My garage put the US at a distinct disadvantage.
You're only as good as your last departure.

sebolino

Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:45 am

To generalize, my experience is that the more you go on the North, the cleaner it is.
Sometimes I miss Scandinavia for that. My area is clean (Strasbourg is not really French  Big grin ), but when I go in shoutern France, I'm always disgusted by the local manners to drop everything in the streets. In Paris, as well as some parts of Strasbourg, the hell is the number of dog shits ! One day I will start to eliminate these walking shit factories.  Smile

FDXmech

Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:59 am

>>>One day I will start to eliminate these walking shit factories.<<<

That's no way to talk about me.
You're only as good as your last departure.

CB777

Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:43 am

The country I live is ranked 45-USA
The country my ancesters come fromis ranked 19-Croatia

CB777

KiwiNanday

Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:05 pm

Go Scandinavia! This is why I wouldn't mind moving to Iceland when I'm older.

Jake
Silly Islamic extremists, it's just a cartoon!

ArmitageShanks

Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:31 pm

I always thought Germany was very clean. I never saw litter or anything like that you would normally see in large cities.

USA is in the upper middle or lower upper I suppose. Most cities are pretty clean and well kept, but out in the country you can find the run down, dirty neighborhoods.

Scanorama

Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:27 am

Japan and Singapore are the cleanest countries I've been to. I thought UK and USA weren't that bad, on the top 20 of the list.

Part of Australia are very clean, but parts of Sydney are terrible, rubbish everywhere on the ground and noone seems to clean it.

That's one thing why I like Scandinavia, in particular Sweden. I don't mind the freezing cold in winter, I like snow and cold anyway.