bristolflyer

CBS News - As Bad As It Gets?

Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:58 am

Have just been watching CBS news here in Phoenix. 3 things that were pretty amateur:

Firstly a report about a bunch of schoolkids on a ship that hit some big waves - a 'nothing' story so they could show the home footage that someone had made. It's a ship that hit some waves - these things happen at sea.

Secondly - a spelling mistake - 'Band Aceh' instead of 'Banda Aceh' on a tsunami report. It's been headline news for a month now, they should be getting it right by now.

Thirdly - a report about a popular new type of hat that a lot of people are buying at the FBR Open - but they didn't even show a picture of the hat. So I'm none the wiser.

Is this typical of this station? Are my initial impressions wrong or is this par for the course from CBS? Coming from the UK I'm used to some pretty decent broadcasting from the BBC. Now resident in Arizona I need to know which stations are good for news.

BF
Fortune favours the brave

theCoz

RE: CBS News - As Bad As It Gets?

Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:06 am

NBC is generally good here in Phoenix. FOX 10 is all drama and hype. Instead of just reporting on a car accident, they mention how it exploded and people ran out on fire.

Channel 3 lost their network affiliation years ago, but they survived. They're a bit more casual.

You don't like CBS, so I'll skip that one.

If you want any more advice on Phoenix, just email me.

I've also spent 3 months living in Yorkshire, so I'm no stranger to the UK.

JetJock22

Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:06 am

If you are a liberal, NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN. If you are a conservative, Fox News. My personal favorite is Fox News, mainly because of Bill Oreily. But ya can't forget Shep Smith and Neil Cavuto.  Big thumbs up

DC10GUY

Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:45 pm

Here in PHX if anything happens that is even slightly news worthy and has some sex angle, its the top story. Local news is horrible. I love how the choppers chase the fire department & police departments to try and get a live shot of a kid drowning or someone that's been hit by a car ... But that's what sells .... Shamefull.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

phxairfan

Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:25 pm

Channel 3, 5, 10, and 15 are useless. Ch. 12 is the only reasonably reliable newscast, and they are unfortunately affiliated with the Arizona Republic. Which is a rag that I read because its the only game in town. I'd stick to national newscasts (Fox, CNN etc.) as nothing really important happens in Phoenix regardless of the fact that there are millions of people here. Btw where in Phoenix are you staying?

nebflyer

Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:59 pm

Are you sure you were watching CBS NETWORK news? From your observations, especially the story about the hat, I think you might have been watching the newscast produced by the local affiliate, KPHO.