DeltaGuy
Topic Author

Chirac Proposal To Add Tax To Airline Tickets

Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:53 pm

Not sure if this has been posted here (I'd be surprised if it hadn't been), but I ran across this little article the other day....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050126/hl_nm/davos_aids_chirac_dc

And a little exerpt-

French President Jacques Chirac outlined bold proposals on Wednesday for an international tax to help fight AIDS, saying such a measure could raise $10 billion each year.

"I propose today moving forward through the creation, in an experimental way, of a levy to finance the fight against AIDS," Chirac told the World Economic Forum in Davos in a speech delivered by video link-up.

Chirac said the levy could be imposed on international financial transactions without hampering markets, but it could also be raised by taxing fuel for air and sea transport, or levying $1 on every airline ticket sold in the world.

I call bullshit on this one....who is Chirac to add a tax to the already OVER taxed airline industry? Granted, AIDS is a terrible thing, but he does not have the authourity or the right to make these decisions. Wrong place, wrong time sir....completely innapropriate, he needs to keep his nose out of our industry, IMHO.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Boeing7E7

RE: Chirac Proposal To Add Tax To Airline Tickets

Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:10 pm

Umm... Yeah... And oil for food was a great program too.

MaverickM11

Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:20 pm

The f&*cker could start by ending the obscene subsidies/protection for EU farmers and giving third world agriculture a reasonable chance at the EU market. That will do more to fight AIDS than whatever looney tunes program the EU manages to set up.
E pur si muove -Galileo

DeltaGuy
Topic Author

Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:12 am

So it looks like I didn't post old news  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan