yukimizake

News Sources You Trust?

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:22 am

From your respective countries which new sources do you see as most trustworthy and which ones the most extreme? (on both sides of the political spectrum). In Canada the Toronto Star is quite left wing, the National Broadcaster (the CBC) also to the left but to a lesser extent and the National Post is on the right.
'Opfer müssen gebracht werden (Sacrifices must be made)' - Otto Lilienthal

whitehatter

RE: News Sources You Trust?

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:26 am

The BBC.

Funnily enough Sky News (part of News International like Faux News) is extremely impartial and a superb broadcaster of 24 hour news. The ads are irritating though, hence my BBC fetish.

I wouldn't wipe my arse on most of our newspapers, but the Independent is a halfway decent read. Forget the Guardian as that's the paper of smug trendies trying to be radicals, and the Daily (seigheil) Mail.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

ANCFlyer

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:29 am

New York Times, Wall Street Journal

Of course, Fox, NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN  Nuts  Yeah sure

[Edited 2005-02-08 03:29:53]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

aerorobnz

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:34 am

I don't trust any of them as offering 'the truth' . However the BBC usually manages to stay inpartial so that's always a bonus.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

dtwclipper

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:36 am

The New York Times, although the "right" will say it is biased, it's news reporting is excellent. The Op/Ed, is another story.

I also read "The Daily Worker" aka The Detroit Free Press.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

174thfwff

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:42 am

I don't really "trust" any of them as they are all have self interests (news sources are a business too)...so if I read enough about the same events, I can really get a good idea of what's going on. With that said however, I am a big fan of the NY Times... Very good coverage with out a lot of BS involved.
-174th
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

Superfly

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:43 am

NPR (National Public Radio)
BBC
CBS
CNN although they can be a bit right-wing at times

Alternative local media for local issues such as Bay Guardian, SF Weekley, Beyond Chron.
Bring back the Concorde

Usairwys757

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:46 am

ABC
CNN
CBS
NBC

Thats about it. Definitely don't trust FAUX News thats for sure.
Inactive.....

Superfly

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:48 am

Usairwys757:
Definitely don't trust FAUX News thats for sure.

Awesome play on words!  Big thumbs up
Bring back the Concorde

Newark777

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:57 am

Haha, he trusts CBS but not Fox News. That's a good one.  Laugh out loud

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Usairwys757

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:00 pm

Yeah Newark, nothing like a good left wing spin on things every once in a while. I dont see whats so funny about trusting CBS over FAUX though? Enlighten me....
Inactive.....

jake056

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:02 pm

NY Times is way too left. Ditto the LA Times and the Wash Post. Wall Street Journal is too ethereal. TV news in general is fed by the Associated Press. No balance there.

Bottom line is now with the internet can find multiple news sources from around the world.

dtwclipper

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:06 pm

Jake056:

I politely disagree with you. The New York Times provides excellent coverage, I really think that they offer a very fair news service. It's there Op/Ed section that is pure liberal.

I don't read the LA Times, or The Post, but the WSJ is very, conservative.

dtwclipper

Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Superfly

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:06 pm

Newark777:
At least when CBS has conservatives on there programs, they'll get someone who is at least intelligent enough to think on there feat and be able to have civil dialogue. When faux news has a token leftist, they are the wackiest uninformed individual who can't intelligently discuss the issue.
That's the best faux can do to get people to think there way.

CBS is professional while faux news is just sensationalism and bias.
Bring back the Concorde

Newark777

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:08 pm

Yeah Newark, nothing like a good left wing spin on things every once in a while. I dont see whats so funny about trusting CBS over FAUX though? Enlighten me....

It is not even about spin, it is about a news agency that has been found to have fabricated stories and made up evidence. That kind of negligent journalism should make you think twice about what they are reporting.

As for my sources of news, the NY Times is up there, as long as you tear out the last page or two.  Big grin I also enjoy reading the WSJ, and the NY Post, although that is more like a tabloid, and not real news. All TV news channels have some sort of bias depending on who is on and what the story is on, and is generally less reliable in my opinion than many of the print media sources.

Harry

Superfly

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:10 pm

it is about a news agency that has been found to have fabricated stories and made up evidence

I had a feeling that would come up in this thread. Over 60 years of professioanlism and one mistake was made. Yet the circus over at faux news goes on every single day.
Bring back the Concorde

jake056

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:13 pm

DTWCLIPPER. Thank you for being civil! Lot of folks get way too hot talking about these topics!

I used to think that the NYT was balanced, but I've seen too much in my work life to show me otherwise. My opinion, I know. thanks!

CaptOveur

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:15 pm

CBS is professional while faux news is just sensationalism and bias.

Superfly and I agree on something.

Sadly, CBS lost a lot with their memos from the 60s written on MS word. They will recover with time.

I am so sick of news anymore I just stick to the financial stuff. Wall Street Journal, The Economist, I also read Reuters and CBS market watch.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

ConcordeBoy

I dont think any one source is trustworthy on an issue... but I'd say one can develope a decent overall view by alternating between them.

I prefer:

FoxNews
CNN
WeeklyStandard
Newsweek
CNN International
BBC

....in that order.

Sources that I do not think are decent sources of news:
Talk radio in general (e.g., Limbaugh, Hannity, etc)
NPR
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Newark777

I had a feeling that would come up in this thread. Over 60 years of professioanlism and one mistake was made. Yet the circus over at faux news goes on every single day.

It wasn't a mistake, though. It was a deliberate attempt by the news staff to falsify evidence and create a story that would favor their own ideological beliefs. It doesn't matter how long they have acted professionally, they are now known to have falsified evidence, and it is hard to maintain that they still have credibility. It will be awhile before CBS regains trust with the American people, and that process can only start when Rather resigns in the near future.

Harry

Usairwys757

Over 60 years of professioanlism and one mistake was made. Yet the circus over at faux news goes on every single day.

My point right there Superfly. One mistake and your ready to throw them to the dogs? I'm sorry if I dont get the feeling I'm being lied to when I watch Dan Rather report the nightly news. Besides, Dan Rather is perhaps the most professional anchor out there, who else do you see over on the frontlines in Iraq?
Inactive.....

Newark777

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:17 pm

Besides, Dan Rather is perhaps the most professional anchor out there, who else do you see over on the frontlines in Iraq?

Don't forget Geraldo Rivera.  Laugh out loud

Harry

Usairwys757

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:18 pm

It wasn't a mistake, though. It was a deliberate attempt by the news staff to falsify evidence and create a story that would favor their own ideological beliefs.

And you know this for sure? Or did the guys over at FAUX News feed that to you as well?

I'm not saying it was an honest mistake, I just wonder how you are so sure thats the whole reasoning behind the story.
Inactive.....

Newark777

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:25 pm

And you know this for sure? Or did the guys over at FAUX News feed that to you as well?

No, it was "fed" to me by those little-known news agencies such as ABC, NBC, NY Times, and CNN. All sources, biased both left and right, have said that it was no honest mistake, and that CBS went after this story knowing it was probably incorrect. And for what other reason would those so-called professional journalists fabricate a story like that against Bush, other than to hurt his reputation before the election?

Harry

sccutler

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:28 pm

Over 60 years of professioanlism and one mistake was made.

Whoa, Nelly!

Remember 60 Minutes and "Unintended Acceleration"? 1986 "expose" of Audi automobiles alleged to be killing people - and then repairing themselves?

CBS' primary source on *that* gem of a story was a group called the "Audi Victims' Network"- headed up by Plaintiffs' Lawyers who were suing Audi!

They never bothered to seek or air any opinions of independent automotive engineers, any one of whom could have told them that what was alleged simply could not happen as described.

It was all hokum, of course, but thousands of people lost their jobs as dealers went bust, resale value of cars plummeted without justification. And (of course) when all the dust settled, Audi was fully exonerated in every single case.

From and after seeing that ludicrous excuse for reporting, CBS News' credibility has been dog meat with me.

====

As for who I trust?

None of them without independent verification, but...

...for depth of reporting and the credibility that goes with such depth, i most favor NPR (in the USA) and BBC.

Amazingly enough, just here lately, I have seen some remarkably good reporting out of Xinhua, as well, though I have not submitted them to adequate scrutiny to decide whether they are just rewriting the work of other services.

As for accuracy of reporting, I see Fox as being perfectly adequate (notwithstanding the protestations of many). Their depth (just like other major networks') is insufficient.

I also enjoy the occasional foray into the world of Deutsche Welle.

And, of course, there's the inimitable Naked News!
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

EZEIZA

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:29 pm

No one should trust any news source 100% because a news report is made by people, therefore there is some level of subjectivity. i think that the more news sources you get your info from the better idea you'll get of the story. That said, I would say BBC is one of the sources I most rely on. Despite what other people think, I do rely also on CNN. In Argentina, I only believe TN. the ones I least believe? Fox News. They are terrible
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

martinairyyz

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:37 pm

Who I DO NOT Trust:

Any American News Whatsoever (yes, includes overseas US stations like CNN Int'l)

Who I do Trust:

Most European News, especially Euronews!
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

Newark777

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:40 pm

Who I DO NOT Trust:

Any American News Whatsoever (yes, includes overseas US stations like CNN Int'l)

Who I do Trust:

Most European News, especially Euronews!

That is one of the most horribly general statements I have ever heard. Hope you enjoy sitting back and enjoying your Euronews.  Yeah sure

Harry

CaptOveur

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:44 pm

I jerk off to Al-Jazeera.

Signed,
Rsmith
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

tbar220

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:00 pm

U.S., I prefer NPR news (All Things Considered). International news I prefer the BBC, which I can hear on my local NPR station.
NO URLS in signature

Banco

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:06 pm

I agree with Whitehatter than Sky News is actually remarkably good, given that it's a sister station to Fox News.

CNN is pretty dreadful in its domestic form, but CNN International is an excellent news station, and funnily enough, its international reputation is exactly that.

The BBc is far from perfect, as is the case of any news organisation. But it is the largest news gathering organisation on earth, which gives it breadth, and it's the only one to have impartiality as a stated requirement in its charter. It doesn't always achieve that (it's manned by humans after all) but it tries. Funnily enough, most Americans will probably see BBC reports in ABC News. The BBC provides much of their international news coverage.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

SLC1

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:15 pm

I really don't trust any of them but here goes...

NPR
BBC
SkyNews
MSNBC
C-SPAN

and I agree with CNN International

and the Daily Show, all things considered
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

UTA_flyinghigh

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:48 pm

"Weekly World News" and "News of the World".
Not to mention "Voici".

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

707CMF

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:52 pm

Info Pilote, aka 'la Gazette du parti'
Pravda..;

Cheers,

UTA_flyinghigh

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:54 pm

I thought you read "Marianne" Big grin

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

707CMF

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:55 pm

I also read Minute and Présent.
Not to mention National Hebdo and Action Francaise.

NOT.

Cheers

saxdiva

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:56 pm

The only news that seems to make sense anymore:

http://www.onion.com/

UTA_flyinghigh

Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:59 pm

I prefer Hola! and The National Enquirer

UTA

saxdiva

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:03 pm

Oops... almost forgot the other one:

http://slashdot.org/

707CMF

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:05 pm

UTA, isn't the only newsreport you will watch on TV "Le journal du hard" ?

Cheers,

Thom@s

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:11 pm

BBC.

If I ever come accross something on FOX or CNN that looks like big news, I alwas double check with the BBC to make sure it's for real.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

UTA_flyinghigh

Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:12 pm

UTA, isn't the only newsreport you will watch on TV "Le journal du hard" ?

No, I also watch the "Hot D'Or".

UTA

Klaus

Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:18 am

Reliable:
- TV: ARD (public station)
- print: Der Spiegel (opinionated, requires a working brain)

Unreliable:
- TV: all the private ones (about on par with the US ones, no comparison to the public channels)
- print: BILD - made-up headlines, crazy tabloid, not too far above the british ones  Wink/being sarcastic

FDXmech

Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:47 am

>>>I dont think any one source is trustworthy on an issue... but I'd say one can develope a decent overall view by alternating between them.<<<

That's the most common sense approach. That's what I do also. Diversify.
You're only as good as your last departure.

BN747

Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:53 am

I no longer trust any of them. At one time they exhibited true independence and appeared to uphold and treasure a public trust. Now they are corporations with friendly face reporting -er- reading back what some corporate-suit has 'edited, scrutinized, sanitized and approved' to be broadcast out on the public airwaves! It's predetermined and canned what we will be shown on tv and pushed off as 'news'. They all march to the very same tune... the interest of 'the people' be damned. It's nothing short of 'a serious vaudeville act.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

n229nw

Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:16 am

If you or anyone you know has ever been interviewed by ANY newspaper, small or large, and read the article, you'll know how amazingly wrong they can manage to get the simplest things. And yet we trust these sources to form our opinions about huge events with strong human emotions attached to them. And even more, we often swallow big assumptions in news reporting without noticing them, if they fit into our way of organizing knowledge.

I always find myself thinking of this when reading any news article, so agree that it is nice to have the resources to double-check things from multiple sources. The only problem with this is that often multiple sources receive their briefs from the same place (AP, Reuters, etc.) so that can be dangerous too.

Anyway, my favorite paper to read is The Guardian (sorry Whitehatter). The Independent gets too heavy-handedly and close-mindedly leftist, and I find that the Guardian, despite its openly acknoweldged left-leaning bias, often gives good voice to the "other side" in issues.

For TV, there's the BBC. TV news in the US either offers extremely limited or superficial international coverage, and/or in the case of Fox it is not news but punditry.

I'm quite down on US papers recently. The New York Times sold out to the White House during the lead-up to the Iraq war (despite the fact that it will continue to be trashed by the right), and there are other issues on which it is unreliable. It is pretty good overall though.

I like Der Spiegel too, when I want to bother reading in another language...

Again, one should read and react to ALL "news" sources with a critical mind I think.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

PJ295

Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:46 am

Here goes for my list

BBC
NPR
CNN
ABC
NY Times
Wall Street Journal
Atlanta Urnal Constapation

Newark777

Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:57 am

Just to add to N229NW's post, we all see, and are the first to point out, all the mistakes the media makes when they report on aviation related news. They probably make these mistakes in all forms of news, and we are non the wiser, and most of us take it as the truth. We need to take everything the media says with a grain of salt, and not be so quick to believe everything they say.

Harry

BN747

Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:58 am

A grain??? You'd be better off taking it with a 'pillar of salt'. The only thing I find worthwhile in the LA Times are stories such as one where a 'reporter followed an illegal imigrant' from Costa Rica- where at the Mexican Border, the mexican people/police either beat the hell out of them and/or robbed them-raped the chicks. And other mexican people along the trek gave some food and shelter... then they had to cross the US border and get abused again! And someof them went through this 5 and 6 times--if they lived that long.

Great post, N229NW and very very accurate!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Klaus

Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:07 pm

N229NW: I like Der Spiegel too, when I want to bother reading in another language...

They even have a small english section: International - SPIEGEL ONLINE

As does the news service of the ARD: News in English | tagesschau.de