jake056

New U.S. Secretary Of State--How She Doing?

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:24 pm

What u folks think? Will she get a good reception around the world? As the first black woman Secretary of State from the US?

Falcon84

RE: New U.S. Secretary Of State--How She Doing?

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:27 pm

Par for her-already threatening another Middle Eastern nation. Just about what I expected.

And, do you REALLY think Ms. Rice, as an architect of the Iraq fiasco, will get a good reception around the world?  Laugh out loud
Work Right, Fly Hard

ANCFlyer

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:27 pm

Well, she's overseas right now . . . too early to tell how she's doing . . .

I am surprised she doesn't have big pennant with a giant "W" on it waving it in everyone's face . . . .

We'll see . . . she has a significant deficit to overcome with me . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

N317AS

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:29 pm

Who cares if she is the first black woman SoS. She coulp be purple as long as she does a good job. I do know she racks up the FF miles awful damn fast.
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

EZEIZA

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:29 pm

I don't think that the colour of her skin will be the issue these days. Answering your question, it's a big NO, I doubt she will get a good reception worldwide because she has already threatend Iran and Siria and right now, with the whole Iraq deal, many people around the globe are not to happy with Bush's foreign policy.
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

Falcon84

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:30 pm

she has a significant deficit to overcome with me . . . .

Uh, saying the word "deficit" to someone in the Bush Admin. will get you pained looks, my man. Care to pick another phrasing, there?  Laugh out loud
Work Right, Fly Hard

ANCFlyer

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:38 pm

Falcon Uh, saying the word "deficit" to someone in the Bush Admin. will get you pained looks, my man. Care to pick another phrasing, there?

Uhh, sorry, my bad . . .  Laugh out loud

She's got a 'lot of ground to make up' with me . . . that better?  Big thumbs up
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Falcon84

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:43 pm

That's better, ANC. Had you found a way to work in "social security" in that first thread, I coulda had a field day, 'bro.  Laugh out loud
Work Right, Fly Hard

DfwRevolution

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:48 pm

Uh, saying the word "deficit" to someone in the Bush Admin. will get you pained looks, my man.

Well then maybe Chenney really is pulling the strings, because the D-word has been dropped by none other than George himself on a daily basis.

Notice that the Euro has already fallen against the US Dollar in the 6 days since Bush said he would practice less deficit spending than in his first term...

I doubt she will get a good reception worldwide because she has already threatend Iran and Siria and right now, with the whole Iraq deal, many people around the globe are not to happy with Bush's foreign policy.

Sounds like Condi Rice has more balls than you two...

When Ronald Regan gave this speech, the entire State Department wanted him to omit significant portions, and after he read it, many of his political opponents were enraged at such an direct scath of the Soviet Union. Instead, it fortified U.S. intollerance of the Soviet Union, and without firing a shot, led to a faster demise of the USSR.

The speech might be best remembered by the words: "Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

http://www.reaganfoundation.org/reagan/speeches/wall.asp

I have no problem with stern talk, it's when the wrong people get bombed that I have a problem.

EZEIZA

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:55 pm

"Sounds like Condi Rice has more balls than you two...

When Ronald Regan gave this speech, the entire State Department wanted him to omit significant portions, and after he read it, many of his political opponents were enraged at such an direct scath of the Soviet Union. Instead, it fortified U.S. intollerance of the Soviet Union, and without firing a shot, led to a faster demise of the USSR."

yeah, cause the soviet union was not crumbling on its own. In any case, that was another period in history, today, saying that Rice has more balls than me is not only offensive to me, but your statement is ignoring that the US is not seen as the saviour against the Soviet scare as it was during the cold war. These days, the US is seen by many countries as an invader of a sovreign country and has little international support, therefore Rice will not have a positive response.
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

DfwRevolution

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:09 pm

today, saying that Rice has more balls than me is not only offensive to me,

Oh I'm so sorry... just get out of the pool or something?

In any case, that was another period in history,

Not at all! Read the paragraph before the quote I gave, hell read the whole speech, it's awesome. Anywho, looking back a few sentences-

"We welcome change and openness; for we believe that freedom and security go together, that the advance of human liberty can only strengthen the cause of world peace."

How is that not word for word what we are dealing with today??

but your statement is ignoring that the US is not seen as the saviour against the Soviet scare

Sorry, I don't back down to revisionist history.

These days, the US is seen by many countries as an invader of a sovreign country and has little international support, therefore Rice will not have a positive response.

Yet, diplomatic and political pressure (which is all any Iran/Syria policy are, for the moment) is exactly what international allies have been advocating since pre-Iraq... how will this change not be well recieved?

Besides, she's not C.P. You listen to the new person for about 5 minutes no matter what because that's the way things are done. Hopefully she can make a (positive) impression in that amount of time.

jake056

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:11 pm

I think she will be tremendous. In the likes of Margaret Thathcer, the iron warrior. Extremely strong and confident. She will run for higher office, I think. And she will get a LOT of support--both here in the U.S. and abroad.

Falcon84

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:14 pm

I think she'll be tremendous, too, Jake-tremendous at pissing off even more people, alienating even more allies, and continuing this shoot-from-the-hip foreign "policy" that she's helped to create.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ANCFlyer

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:17 pm

Jake056 I think she will be tremendous. In the likes of Margaret Thathcer, the iron warrior. Extremely strong and confident. She will run for higher office, I think. And she will get a LOT of support--both here in the U.S. and abroad

Hey, Jake, pass some of what your smoking this way!  Big thumbs up

Seriously, she will never be a Maggie Thatcher. She may well do fine in the long run, but she has some ground to make up with a lot of folk.

She has one major flaw (plenty of little ones IMHO) in that she will not talk against Bush. She will not speak her own mind. I think that's pretty dangerous for a SecState. Our "primary" diplomat who will tow the party line without regard for other opinion is definitely a detriment.

Perhaps she'll prove me wrong, and I hope so, but she's got to put down that "W" pennant and pick up the American Flag - what she is doing is not simply for Dubya, it's for the country. I'm not convinced she's figured that out.

Regards.

commander_rabb

Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:32 pm

Edited because I can!

[Edited 2005-02-08 06:52:21]

L-188

Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:27 am

Guys, she has had the job for what? a week?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

dvk

Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:41 am

She' s a very high tech tape player. W's words come out of her mouth in her voice, so that it almost appears that she's had an original, independent thought.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

daedaeg

Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:48 am

It's hard to determine how well she's doing in such a short amount of time on the job. I do believe she's off to a good start though.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

jaysit

Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:15 am

Condi is a consummate politician and plays her cards well.

Soon we will all forget that she lied through her teeth to be the head cheerleader for the Iraqi war.

I think that she portrays a level of self-confidence and smarts and grace under fire that a Secretary of State requires. So far her trip to Israel and Palestine has gone well. She is also in the right place at the right time. If she can broker an Israeli-Palestinian peace accord, she will go down in the history books as a Sec of State Extraordinaire. However, that position will have been helped by the fact that both sides are exhausted after a decade of indiscriminate killing, and failed peace accords, primary courtesy of Yassir Arafat. Arafat's death will have changed everything and may allow Condi to broker a peace effectively.

Atheism is Myth Understood.

S12PPL

Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:24 am

She's got alot of work, plain and simple.

What a choice for Secretary of State. Wow. We got ourselves a winner, there!
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

jaysit

Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:14 am

I must admit that although I found Condi's attempt to trump up the threat of Saddam Hussein disgusting, I am willing to give her a chance. After all Henry Kissinger and Bill Clinton were liars too, and everyone think's they're the cat's whiskers.

If she ever wrote a real tell all book, it would be fascinating.

I wonder what she and Laura Bush talk about? What would a warrior princess talk about with a Stepford wife?

"Keep your hands off of my man, or else I'll set the twins on you?"

MD-90

Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:17 am

What a choice for Secretary of State. Wow. We got ourselves a winner, there!

Too bad such a smart girl from Alabama has wound up being ensnared by neocon ideology.

aerobalance

Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:18 am

Is she seeing anybody? I'm interested!

Signed,
DC10GUY
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

dvk

Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:31 am

Rumor has it that she's dating Ann Coulter.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

jaysit

Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 am

Too bad such a smart girl from Alabama has wound up being ensnared by neocon ideology.

Perhaps, Mr. Wolfowitz' neo-con ideas may end up being heralded some day. It is still too early to tell. Post-Iraq, they certainly haven't been an abject failure as many thought they would

b757300

Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:09 am

Too bad people the only people who throw out the word "neocon" are the lefties, libertarians, and the Pat Buchanan kooks. Three groups that just can't accept the fact that the majority of Americans agree with President Bush.

What's even sadder is the fact that the first people to coin the term "neocon" used it as a derogatory comment against some Jewish bureaucrats in the State & Defense Departments. Now it is a term used to attack anyone with whom the complainer doesn't agree with.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Falcon84

Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:19 am

Now it is a term used to attack anyone with whom the complainer doesn't agree with.

You mean, like YOU do to someone who you term "liberal", B757300?

Hypocrite.
Work Right, Fly Hard

jaysit

Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:27 am

Three groups that just can't accept the fact that the majority of Americans agree with President Bush.

I very much doubt if this assertion is right.

Even among the 51% majority that voted for GWB, a significant number opposed his Iraq adventure.

rjpieces

Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:49 am

Too bad people the only people who throw out the word "neocon" are the lefties, libertarians, and the Pat Buchanan kooks. Three groups that just can't accept the fact that the majority of Americans agree with President Bush.

Agree 100%

What's even sadder is the fact that the first people to coin the term "neocon" used it as a derogatory comment against some Jewish bureaucrats in the State & Defense Departments. Now it is a term used to attack anyone with whom the complainer doesn't agree with.

Indeed. "Neocon conspiracy" is used in place of "Jewish conspiracy" across Europe and among extremists in the US (Buchanan on the right, Chomsky on the left). Neoconservative is the most misused term in the country today.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

jaysit

Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:29 am

Indeed. "Neocon conspiracy" is used in place of "Jewish conspiracy" across Europe and among extremists in the US (Buchanan on the right, Chomsky on the left). Neoconservative is the most misused term in the country today.

Rubbish.

Just because the early neo-cons like Irving Kristol and Strauss were Jewish doesn't make your assertion true. Or imply that B757300 has the slightest clue what the neo-cons espouse. Being a paleo-con, he would have a fit, if he knew how much Neo-cons loved the power of the state and its all consuming agencies.

I suggest you read Irving Kristol (the Grand daddy of Neo-Conservatism). Start with Neoconservatism: The Autobiography of an Idea. The central premise is that the State is good, low taxes are fine only so much as they can further economic growth to shut up the hoi polloi, and that might is right in foreign policy.

In truth, Neo-conservatism has been played out for the past 30 years, viz a viz the Soviet Union (a great victory brought in part because Europe played its part in the "might is right" strategy), Central America (our lowest low), Vietnam (our hanging shame), Bosnia (a great victory), and now Iraq (no verdict out as yet). Of course, no one called it Neoconservatism then, or at least it hadn't reached the lexicon of the average American. And back then it was wrapped up in other idioms. Now, its come full circle as an ideology. I doubt if Kristol ever imagined that it would become an ideological faith. Back then it was just realpolitik.

Also, you need to stop looking under every rock for some anti-Jewish conspiracy.

dl021

Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:35 am

Well, the only thing we know right now about her performance of her duties as SECSTATE is that she has been there about 2 hours.

Why don't we wait until there's something to comment upon.

BTW...Jaysit...The Presidents current approval rating is at 57% up from last month. Is that not indicative that a majority of them agree with him now?

Does that mean that some folks that did not vote for him now think he's ok?

Not trying to sound sarcastic here, these are legit questions.

DL021
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

jaysit

Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:06 am

BTW...Jaysit...The Presidents current approval rating is at 57% up from last month. Is that not indicative that a majority of them agree with him now?

A favorability rating has nothing to do with agreeing with the Prez on the Iraq war. Show me the evidence. Most of these polls ask:

""What is your impression of George W. Bush? As of today, is it very favorable, somewhat favorable, somewhat unfavorable, very unfavorable or haven't you heard enough about him to say?"

Hello?

I personally would rate him somewhat favorable to somewhat unfavorable. That doesn't mean that I would vote for him (I didn't), or agree with all his policies (Agree with social security and taxes, disagree on many others).

Tomorrow if 35 US Soldiers get killed, and, if and when, the US body count hits 2000 (another milestone), these ratings will come crashing down. If one of his daughters is photographed teaching at a DC public school, they will go up again. They mean virtually nothing.

jaysit

Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:13 am

DL1021:

Go here:

http://www.pollingreport.com/BushFav.htm

As you can see that although the President's favorability was up to 57% in the Zogby poll, up from about 54% prior to the election, it doesn't track the US public's view on the war. Bush's favorability ratings were always higher than the support he received for the war, a testament to the fact that he came off as a generally likeable character.

DfwRevolution

Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:38 am

I think she'll be tremendous, too, Jake-tremendous at pissing off even more people, alienating even more allies, and continuing this shoot-from-the-hip foreign "policy" that she's helped to create.

"PARIS (Reuters) - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice called on Tuesday for a new chapter in relations with Europe after a rift over the Iraq war and began repairing ties with France, one of the biggest critics of the conflict."

French Foreign Minister Micheal Barnier- "Chere Condi, it's time for a fresh start."

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=7572775

Man you must be the biggest cynic and pesimist I have ever met. Give the woman a chance, this term could easily be the polar opposite of the last term... you and I have no way of knowing.

PacificWestern

Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:29 am

*runs to the loo to hurl*

She's just as odious as ever, regardless of her new title.

Mir

Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:12 pm

Judging from the past term, I'm not hoping for much. But heck, I'd certainly like to be surprised. Perhaps Bush and Co. have learned something. I would hope they did.

If there is one thing that troubles me about her, though, it is that it would seem that the big cabinet and advisory positions are now all filled with people who toe the party line (Rumsfeld, Rice, Cheney, and I assume Gonzalez too, but I can't say for sure on him). Sometimes dissent is necessary to prevent an action that would be stupid. In fact, it was Rice who told Colin Powell that he needed to get his butt back on the party line when he had some issues with the Iraq War.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

MD-90

Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:01 pm

Praise the Lord, I saw the light...

I too once thought that neocon was just a liberal smear word. I also used to faithfully read the online National Review.

Not anymore.

Call me a classical American liberal. Or a Paleo-libertarian. But NOT a statist of the left or the right.

HL7460

Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:24 pm

Do not know much about her. But nice to see Woman in important role in politics.