RNOcommctr
Topic Author

Rear Oil Seal-- $$$$?

Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:30 am

I have a 1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 and it has a slow oil leak (maybe about 20 drops a day). A mechanic told me it could be a leaking rear seal, and to fix that, a transmission shop would have to take out the tranny. In the meantime, I am also putting in a can of that "stop leak" fluid.

Taking out the whole tranny to replace this so-called rear seal sounds EXPENSIVE!!! Any idea how much it might cost?

Thanks.
Active loading only, ma'am, keep it moving!

L-188

RE: Rear Oil Seal-- $$$$?

Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:34 am

Yeah,

It isn't the cost of the seal but there are lots of man hours involved, although on trucks I notice that they usually the pull the engine out, not the tranny.

I don't trust stop leak for several reason.

You might be better off just monitoring the leak and putting a pan under it at night.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

aerobalance

Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:37 am

Buy a new car............
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

Logan22L

Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:56 am

RNO, when I bought my latest Volvo (used), it was still under warranty, but they diagnosed a rear engine seal replacement. Although no cost to me, it was about 10-12 hours of labor. The seal is less than $50 or so. So, it would have been some $600-$700 had it not been covered. Both engine and tranny removed. What's not clear is whether you are describing a rear engine seal or some seal in the tranny itself. Might be a big difference. Granted you have a different car, but the rear engine seal (if only the tranny is dropped) has got to be at least several hundred.

Good luck,

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

desertjets

Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:04 am

It MIGHT be something that you can defer. Like L-188 said park your car over an oil drip pan and monitor the oil loss. So check your oil level at least once a week and add as needed.

If it isn't losing a ton of oil you can probably get away with putting it off for a bit. Wait till you need to do some other repair/mx item on the car and have it done all at once. That'll save you from having your car being down for too long.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

L-188

Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:43 am

It is still going to be a 2-3 day job at the dealer, I suspect.

When I brought my truck into the dealer for it's first service, there was a F-350 Diesel there that had the same mainseal problem.

Everything to the firewall was removed.

They told me they where expecting to take another week to get it put back together, since it wasn't a priority job.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.