deltaffindfw

Rare, Drug-resistant HIV Strain Found In NYC

Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:16 am

This is scary.

"The onset of AIDS usually occurs more than 10 years after initial infection with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). But in the case diagnosed last week, the time lag appeared to be just two to three months."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20050212/ts_alt_afp/ushealthaids_050212165137

[Edited 2005-02-13 01:16:55]

jake056

RE: Rare, Drug-resistant HIV Strain Found In NYC

Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:57 pm

AIDS is a virus and viruses replicate and develop defenses to the current medication treatments. This was only waiting to happen.

Safe sex or no sex.

DLKAPA

Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:49 pm

AIDS is not a virus. It is a syndrome, specifically Acquired Immuno-Deficiency Syndrome. A Syndrome is not a virus, rather a syndrome is a set of specific characteristics and conditions, caused by other diseases. HIV is a virus, Human Immunodeficiency Virus. This virus continually erodes away at your immune system until your immune system cannot fight even the most basic of infections, at that point it is considered that you have AIDS, therefore HIV causes AIDS. It is possible, though rare, to life for your entire life with HIV while never actually progressing to AIDS. This can be achieved with the right nutrition and excersise.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

ConcordeBoy

Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:53 pm

This can be achieved with the right nutrition and excersise.

...and popping two to ten pills every day  Yeah sure
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

skyservice_330

Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:58 pm

"at that point it is considered that you have AIDS"

Once your CD4 cell count falls below 200 (I believe) you clinically have AIDS.

Kay

Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:47 am

A real problem for people with no steady g/f or b/f (because traveling all the time)...

At the first kiss with a person, when my heart should be pounding rapidly, I have instead my brain asking 3million questions per second: "ok, HIV can't be transmitted through saliva, ok next item: herpes. AAAaaaa STOP!! ...etc etc etc"

How can people have relationships. The list of STD makes it difficult not to pop a checklist and ask the person whether she/he has the diseases or not before even touching hands. A disturbing conversation that I do have every time... Except occasionally a first kiss tends to slip before..

Solution?..  Sad

Kay

MaverickM11

Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:46 am

Wasn't the "victim" a crystal-meth addict as well?
E pur si muove -Galileo

DfwRevolution

Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:29 am

Not a good time to be a gay promiscuous New Yorker.

Since 1970... it really hasn't paid of to be promiscuous in any sexual orientation.

HIV mutates so often that it isn't suprising at all that another drug resistant strain has popped up, this is hardly the first.

theCoz

Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:57 am

oooh scary! AIDS!...whatever.

Prevent it by wearing a condom if you choose to have sex.

simple solution.

Imonti

Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:04 am

What is quite interesting is that certain hookers at some truck stops, have built up a certain imunity to certain HIV strains, the research done from obatining blood from those ladies would now seem to be thrown back years with this news.

Can the virus mutate as medical technology changes?

greasespot

Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:00 am

I volunteer with an HIV+ house. This place gives a person with HIV a place to live until they either get backl on their feet or die, even though palative care is not really on the agenda.

I work with new volunteers and it is amazing how many younger people come in with the notion that hiv and aids is no big deal anymore. They take a few pills and it no just a chronic disease.

We have no idea what will happen to a person who has been on the cocktail for 25 years. These drugs are not just pills. They are awful and horendous drugs with side effects similar to chemo therapy..Many go off them because they find the side effects worse than dying...Think about that.

Back on topic. There is a person at the house who is HIV + who said he wore condoms and was not promiscious. Is that true....who knows all I can do is take him at his words. his family and doctor both confirm that he was HIV negative until ontime in the heat of passion with a condom....guess what...It broke. He was tested after. So really a condom is not really a simple solution.

No I do not promote abstinance but there is a risk in having sex in the days of HIV and AIDS. That risk never went away. We just blinked.

After working n an HIV house i now assume until otherwise that a person is HIV+. Sport sex is definatly no longer in my future anymore.

Being female means I have to be more careful. I am far more likely to get HIV through sex than a guy will if I was HIV+.

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

RedDragon

Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:43 am

Wasn't the "victim" a crystal-meth addict as well?

Does that make him any less of a "victim"? (Your narrow-minded quotation marks, not mine.)

SFOMEX

Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:25 am

I don't know if you are aware of terms as "bug chaser" or "gift giver". As far as I know, these terms describe a new trend among many gay men who actually look forward to get infected of HIV/AIDS. In their twisted perspective, AIDS creates a bond among them so the sooner they get it, the better. It sounds like an urban legend but it appears to be real, although I hope it's only among a minority of the gay community. Based on what I read on the news, the victim profile looks similar to what I described before: lots of partners and always having unprotected sex, plus the use of drugs which are famous for their disinhibitory sexual effect.

In any case, let's hope this new strain won't be as bad as it seems to be.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

ConcordeBoy

Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:51 am

it is amazing how many younger people come in with the notion that hiv and aids is no big deal anymore

Agreed. What's even more disconcerting is the number of young people who INTENTIONALLY get the disease :-(

Does that make him any less of a "victim"?

Depending on the circumstances, quite possibly yes.
Next.

I don't know if you are aware of terms as "bug chaser" or "gift giver". As far as I know, these terms describe a new trend among many gay men who actually look forward to get infected of HIV/AIDS.

Yup, that's what I'm talkin' about.

In any case, let's hope this new strain won't be as bad as it seems to be.

Not to sound Fred Phelps-ish, but: um... why?  Confused

MaverickM11

Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:38 am

"Does that make him any less of a "victim"? (Your narrow-minded quotation marks, not mine.)"

Why is that narrow minded? A) We all knew this was coming sooner or later and B) depending on how he contracted it, chances are the only way that he is "victim" is as a "victim" to his own decisions. In this day and age, no American gay man can claim ignorance when it comes to unsafe sex and drug use.

EDIT:

Wait....I reread the article...we KNOW how he got it:

"The first case was diagnosed last week in a man in his late 40s who reported multiple male sex partners and unprotected anal intercourse, often while using the highly potent narcotic crystal methamphetamine. "

He got it because he's a flippin' idiot. He is 100% responsible for his own "victimhood" and those quotation marks are entirely valid.

[Edited 2005-02-14 00:43:13]
E pur si muove -Galileo

ConcordeBoy

Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:56 am

Here's another thing I don't understand about so many people (and for once not just gay males, as straights seem to do this just as much if not more so):
You meet someone, you begin sleeping together relatively soon, you fall in "love" with them; and a month or so later, you're sleeping together without condoms.

The typical sentiment/statement being "well, we know each other now, she's on the pill (for the striaghts), and we have/will be faithful to each other only."

.....um, call me a humbug--- but is there ANYONE else out there who sees the immeasureable stupidity in this?? I often wonder that; considering this action is so damn common, even by otherwise intelligent people.

I just don't get how sooo many people can be so careless in regard to their health... just because they've been sleeping with someone for a month or two automatically makes that person clean?? I mean what the hell do you "know" about that person? Were you born with the power to bioscan a living entity to determine what pathogen(s) s/he may be carrying???

Get a test before doing it raw. It's not expensive (often free), and readily available if you live near any small/medium sized city.

gigneil

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:08 am

Even getting a test isn't a good idea, espeically if you're gay. The concept of monogamy is foreign to most Americans.

After a month, or two, or even ten you really aren't in any position to know for sure if s/he is being faithful. And if s/he isn't, you could die.

N

ConcordeBoy

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:12 am

Agree, I couldn't really ever see myself trusting anyone (particularly a gay male) to that level...

..but for those who could, at least have the decency to start off on a tangible basis; i.e., don't just assume because someone's nice/sweet/says (s)he loves you-- that they're clean.

KROC

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:24 am

oooh scary! AIDS!...whatever.

Prevent it by wearing a condom if you choose to have sex.

simple solution.

Yeah, too bad HIV is smaller than the pours in a condom. You might want to mixin a High School Health Class there Coz.

dtwclipper

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:24 am

OK, here is the story of an HIV+ a.netter.

I converted probably sometime in the early 80's, when all we had heard about was the "gay" cancer. No treatments, no tests, nothing. Just your circle of friends and the funerals you had to go to. People were there, and then they just got sick and died.

I lived in New York, and was treated by a Doctor who had a large gay practice, he checked my CD4 counts and T cells. I was not overtly promiscuous, nor a drug user. No test was available at the time, so I was not tested until much later, there was really no point. There were no triple cocktails, etc.

When I finally had myself tested, it returned positive on both tests. I began the triple cocktail, and the first few weeks were terrible. Exhaustion, diarrhea, weight gain, weight loss, you name, I had it.

I spend nearly 1200 dollars a month on prescriptions, and must visit my physian once every three to four months. I am healthy and have never had an AIDS related illness. Thanks goodness I have great insurance and Rx coverage.

If there are any younsters out there that think it is cool to join this crowd, you are fools. Your entire prespective on life changes, and not always for the better.

I have since the early 80's practiced "safer" sex, but there is no sure fire defense, but playing safe is better then not.

I will probably have to delete my account now, because I think there still is a stigma attached to this illness, but if I can reach one person and tell them to be safe then it was worth it!

dtwclipper

Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Zone1

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:34 am

No I do not promote abstinence but there is a risk in having sex in the days of HIV and AIDS.
If there is a risk in having sex no matter if its safe or, then why not promote abstinence? If people are willing to be abstinent, then so much the better.
/// U N I T E D

redngold

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:34 am

DTWclipper,

If anyone flames you for being HIV+ or tells you to delete your account, it's their problem. HIV isn't transmitted by Internet, silly  Nuts

I have sympathy for people who suffer with HIV infection. Once you have it, you have it, and beating you up over how you acquired it will not do anything to help you. I lost a very good friend to AIDS when I was 18 years old (and yes, he was gay.) I got hysterical over the movie And the Band Played On. People have gone from being paranoid over HIV/AIDS to being blase about it now that there are treatments. It is a terrible disease even if you are living with it.  Crying

redngold
Up, up and away!

ConcordeBoy

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:37 am

then why not promote abstinence?

If people are willing to be abstinent

You just answered your own question  Laugh out loud

ConcordeBoy

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:39 am

If anyone flames you for being HIV+ or tells you to delete your account, it's their problem. HIV isn't transmitted by Internet, silly

Agreed.

I have sympathy for people who suffer with HIV infection.

I certainly don't. Often I have to be careful to avoid stepping into the realm of hatred.  Crying

dtwclipper

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:42 am

Concordeboy

I certainly don't. Often I have to be careful to avoid stepping into the realm of hatred.

Do you include in that hatred those who have contracted it through blood transfusions, and infected blood products, or is your special venom just for those who became infected through sexual contact?

dtwclipper

[Edited 2005-02-14 01:45:08]

ConcordeBoy

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:45 am

Nope.

Hence the "often I have to be careful to avoid" part....

ConcordeBoy

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:48 am

or is your special venom just for those who became infected through sexual contact?

...bingo

dtwclipper

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:52 am

ConcordeBoy:

So those who became infected, gay or straight through sexual contact, 20 years ago, are to be hated and are not victims of a pandemic? They are somehow less deserving of compasion?

Then I feel sorry for you, and those that think like you. I am sure you can find a good buddy in Fred Phelps!

ConcordeBoy

Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:03 am

Oh please; don't get yer panties in a twist, read it again...

I'm saying that:
1) the urge is definitely there to detest those, particularly of my own generation and especially those younger, who continue to engage in highly risky sexual activity despite having the consequences drilled into their heads for 15yrs or more.
2) as much latent contempt as I may have for these vermin, I continually remind myself that there's others out there who will suffer the same fate through little/no merit of their own.

Falcon84

Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:11 am

I certainly don't. Often I have to be careful to avoid stepping into the realm of hatred.

Fine, then if you ever come down with it, no matter how, we'll just tell you "tough shit, man", and just turn a cold shouler to you. We need less an attitude like you have, and more of simply having a simply humanity for those who suffer from this terrible disease.

I feel more sorry for you, my friend, and that ice-cube attitude, than I think I might any AIDS victim, in one sense.

I don't give a crap how they get it. It's a horrific disease, and someday, we'll find a way to whip it, and rid this world of it's effects.
Work Right, Fly Hard

AA767400

Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:19 am

Once again this shows how bitter people have become on this website. So there is no sympathy for people living with HIV/AIDS, even if it were by accident. I mean I believe in dealing with the consequences of your on actions, but come on. There is a lot of hate people have on here, and I really wonder why...... Sad
"The low fares airline."

ConcordeBoy

Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:39 am

Fine, then if you ever come down with it, no matter how, we'll just tell you "tough shit, man", and just turn a cold shouler to you

Far be it from me to chastize you about that-- not that I'd live long enough to give you the chance in the first place... f^ck that. But still.

We need less an attitude like you have, and more of simply having a simply humanity for those who suffer from this terrible disease

Horsesquat... we're too PC about the disease as it is now, and it's only going to get worse.

I feel more sorry for you, my friend, and that ice-cube attitude, than I think I might any AIDS victim, in one sense.

That and a buck 50 will buy you a good cup o' coffee  Yeah sure

It's a horrific disease, and someday, we'll find a way to whip it, and rid this world of it's effects.

....so people can go back to mindless sexual decadence, just in time for the next WORSE such example to show up. Yay.

Once again this shows how bitter people have become on this website. So there is no sympathy for people living with HIV/AIDS, even if it were by accident.

Do tell, exactly whom here has expressed that?
(Here's a hint, it wasn't me  Insane)

Falcon84

Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:48 am

Horsesquat... we're too PC about the disease as it is now, and it's only going to get worse.

Being sympathetic, and showing concern isn't PC. If you think simply human decency has become that, then you've removed yourself from the human race. I can't extend that to those who purposely get or receive that or any disease, but for those who get it via sex, or the needle, or blood transfusion, my human side goes beyond what I think about their lifestyle, be it gay sex or drug use. I still am human enough that I wish no one would get this hideous disease.

....so people can go back to mindless sexual decadence, just in time for the next WORSE such example to show up. Yay.

You sound like a far-right, ultra-conservative Christian there, many of whom actually WANT AIDS to spread, especially among gays. They really like to think that it's "God's retribution", which is the most unChristian kind of thought I can think of.

You almost sound like you WANT these people killed off, because you somehow dissaprove of their lifestyle. And you expect me to have any respect for you as a human being? How can I even think of someone who openly wants people to get sick and die, as a true memeber of this race of ours? I can't, on that level.
Work Right, Fly Hard

dtwclipper

Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:53 am

not that I'd live long enough to give you the chance in the first place... f^ck that. But still.

What the f*&K is that supposed to mean? Do have any idea of what your talking about?

I still plan on collecting Social Security, (but let's save that for another thread) and have no plans of checking out early.

I may be infected, but that does not mean that I am going anywhere soon!

Most people live for decades now with their infections!

UAL747

Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:54 am

And all this coming from another gay guy....

Concordeboy, seriously...people have sex, it's a given. It's not like you have to be promiscuous to get the disease. In fact, it can happen the first time you engage in ANY sexual situation. The fact that you know this is what really gets me. I know you are a smart guy, we've talked before. But man, this is beyond me...

UAL

[Edited 2005-02-14 02:55:49]
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

whitehatter

Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:57 am

I'm saying that:
1) the urge is definitely there to detest those, particularly of my own generation and especially those younger, who continue to engage in highly risky sexual activity despite having the consequences drilled into their heads for 15yrs or more.
2) as much latent contempt as I may have for these vermin, I continually remind myself that there's others out there who will suffer the same fate through little/no merit of their own.

And there lies the rub.

I've got to agree with your statement on a cold reading of it. Personally I am sickened by references to barebacking being on the rise and (even fucking worse) lunatics called bug chasers who go out of their way to get themselves infected!

It's still a dangerous sexual world, but these losers are inviting personal disaster by ignoring the lessons learned over the dead bodies of a whole generation of gay men. I've just seen that firsthand with two friends, one HIV+ and the other originally negative but now positive. They barebacked in their relationship because friend one had no detectable viral load and didn't like condoms. Guess what? Both now +.

I will sympathise with their eventual physical suffering but not try to give any points to them for what their actions have brought about. They both knew the risks and ignored them.

I also lost a dear friend who became infected by his loser boyfriend, who was shagging anything with a dick and a pulse behind his back in the 1980s. For him I have only kind memories as it wasn't anything he could have known about or prevented.

So the first two, I have to say I am angry with and don't have much time for any more. Their behaviour has resulted in one or more people becoming positive and probably more as they both bareback enthusiastically. If you want to play with fire, don't scream when you get burnt, but if someone else burns you that's different.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Newark777

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:02 am

It's not like you have to be promiscuous to get the disease. In fact, it can happen the first time you engage in ANY sexual situation.

That is true, but it is about statistics. You fool around more, you have a higher chance of catching an STD. You may be the unlucky one to catch one on your first sexual encounter, but your odds of getting one are astronomically higher if you bed someone different every night, especially if you go unprotected.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

dtwclipper

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:02 am

"It's still a dangerous sexual world, but these losers are inviting personal disaster by ignoring the lessons learned over the dead bodies of a whole generation of gay men"

This is something I don't understand....do they really think the pandemic is over?

UAL747

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:07 am

Oh, and lets not forget that Concordeboy proclaims to have dated a gay porn star. Talk about being a hypocrite.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

whitehatter

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:07 am

This is something I don't understand....do they really think the pandemic is over?

It's in part due to the recent drug treatments which have become available. Todays bright young gay clubber doesn't go into a venue and see another gay man stood at the bar with a number of visible KS lesions. That was one hell of a stark reminder at the time.

HIV is now much less visible, and that has bred an attitude of complacency. Also many young gay men think that if they do become positive then there is therapy to contain it. Some even think there are cures. But the number of obviously sick people has diminished and that's added to the impression that HIV is no worse than a dose of clap.

The only sensible way to manage your sex life is to assume that you are positive, whether you are or not, and that you don't know whether the other person is or not. Ignoring it or playing the numbers game isn't just reckless, it is insulting to the memory of those who had no warning or choice in the matter.

That's my opinion, and with that and fifty cents.....

[Edited 2005-02-14 03:18:31]
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Klaus

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:11 am

Redngold: DTWclipper, If anyone flames you for being HIV+ or tells you to delete your account, it's their problem. HIV isn't transmitted by Internet, silly

Indeed. How could you think you´re not welcome here? "Even" ConcordeBoy is welcome and would be missed if absent.  Smile

CB, your universal resentment does nothing for you, it only turns things bad and worse. You´re just poisoning yourself this way.

ConcordeBoy

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:21 am

I still am human enough that I wish no one would get this hideous disease.

totally agree with you there, but wishing doesn't appear to helping the problem much as of late...

You sound like a far-right, ultra-conservative Christian there, many of whom actually WANT AIDS to spread, especially among gays. They really like to think that it's "God's retribution", which is the most unChristian kind of thought I can think of.

Who cares. The Santorums/Hannities of the world are the ones that actually need to get laid a little better/more. Hell, the latter often admits just that on his ABC show  Nuts

You almost sound like you WANT these people killed off

No comment.

And you expect me to have any respect for you as a human being?

Indifference for $500, Alex

What the f*&K is that supposed to mean?

...think about it genius

Do have any idea of what your talking about?

Hmm, well yeah-- in this case, it's pure physics  Laugh out loud

And all this coming from another gay guy

Point being?
Go ahead, I wanna hear you say it....

But man, this is beyond me

...that being the shock of the century  Insane

If you want to play with fire, don't scream when you get burnt, but if someone else burns you that's different.

Perfect summary.

No, they JUST DON'T CARE. There's no other explanation.

My mother and I even walked a then-19yr-old friend of mine through the AIDS ward at OLOL Hospital... seeing grown men weighing 40lbs, in diapers, gasping for air to get a word out before the phlegm silences them.... he was in tears just before we left.

Not that that stopped him, was out barebacking to the world again in just a few weeks. Tested positive in 2003. He has no money, parents abandoned him, he'll die in due time I'm sure.... and before he does, I only wish I could be there to ask 'im if it was all really worth it. I wonder what he'll say.

ConcordeBoy

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:25 am

Oh, and lets not forget that Concordeboy proclaims to have dated a gay porn star. Talk about being a hypocrite.

...that "starred" in seven films; five of them being solo scenes, the other being only with 1 guy who'd been tested every 6mo for the last three years, all condom-only.

In other words, try again  Insane

CB, your universal resentment

...of?

dtwclipper

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:26 am

Concordeboy

Are you really that insensitive, or are you just trying to play 'devils advocate'.

dtwclipper

ConcordeBoy

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:31 am

A little of both, mostly the former....

...BTW, I'm not trying to insult anyone here (and if you end up insulted, well, TFB); I find this to be quite an interesting discussion.

dtwclipper

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:38 am

CB,

I don't get insulted by people under 30, I realize that it is a question of maturity.

dtwclipper.

Falcon84

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:38 am

Actually, I'm just trying to figure out if he has any human feelings at all at this moment. And I say that in all honesty. I just can't imagine being so hard-hearted agains other human beings. It's disgusting, IMHO.
Work Right, Fly Hard

dtwclipper

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:44 am

Falcon,

I have fought tougher battles than CB, self loathing gays are just another front.

BTW CB, I will be around a long time, so your comments about an early death are not well regarded!

dtwclipper

ConcordeBoy

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:46 am

I don't get insulted by people under 30, I realize that it is a question of maturity.

...and yet you're still too inexperienced with life to realize that age and "maturity" often, if not usually, do not correlate. Sad.

Actually, I'm just trying to figure out if he has any human feelings at all at this moment.

I do--- just not when dealing with chasers; bathhouse Bettys; addicts of most types; and of course, the worst of all, drunk drivers.

Other than that, I can be quite the sentimental type... just ask Gigneil Big grin

[Edited 2005-02-14 04:02:42]

dtwclipper

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:49 am

"...and yet you're still too inexperienced with life to realize that age and "maturity" often, if not usually, do not correlate. Sad."

No, I am saying that with maturity comes understanding, compasion, and a view that goes beyound the ability to write snappy comebacks.

Think about what your saying, before you try to be so smug.