NZ747
Topic Author

Your Annoying Car Problems

Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:03 pm

Yesterday, I had to go to the post office to post some urgent mail, it had to be at its destination within two days or I would be screwed for the whole year. I had 40 minutes before the shop closed. I go to start my car, after not using it for two weeks, and guess what happened. It wouldn't start. I tried for five minutes, then called the Automobile Association as it is here (AA) and got them to send someone up to check and fix my battery. After 25 minutes the guy came and then spent 5 minutes charging the battery. Now I had 5 minutes to get to the post office which was an easy 10 minutes away. I sped like a mother f**ker going about 80-90km/h in a 50km/h zone and was lucky to not be pulled over or have a crash. As I arrived at the mall where the post office/book store is I ran so fast, and as I got there the mail man had just finished tying the mail sack for the fast post mail, and was loading it in his van. I begged him to untie it and then slipped him $10 to re-open it. Luckily he did.

Then today, a few friends and I went for a long drive to the beach, then up the hill so see the view. On our way I had the car lights on as we went through a tunnel. On the hill we went for a walk and messed around for about 40 minutes and when we got back to my car guess what happened? I had left the lights on and the battery was flat again. After asking people in other cars if they had any jumper cables, no one did. So I had to call the 'AA' again. We were 40 minutes away from the city and he arrived at that.

So that’s twice in two days. It was even the same AA guy as the day before. Luckily I am an AA member so it cost me nothing.

Has anyone else had trouble or anything like this with your car? Let’s hear it.

SLC1

RE: Your Annoying Car Problems

Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:16 pm

My 93 Honda Accord has a problem that I've spent hundreds on and have yet to fix. It's not a debilitating problem but every three-five weeks my car will suddeny lose power, (rpms go to zero), and hopefully I can get to the side of the road (once I couldn't, luckily it was on a small road so I could push it to the side), but once it happened on I-80 going 85 mph, and all the sudden, I noticed I was decelerating, and that pushing in the gas didn't work. Luckily I was in gear at the time and my power steering was still there, I barely got over to the right. My cell phone was dead, and was there for an hour, with the Utah Highway Patrol passing me time after time (those bastards). It always happens that I keep trying to restart and just get a smoky smell. It always starts fine, though, after about an hour or two. The first time they said it was the spark plugs and fixed that. The second time it was the fuel line and fixed that. The third time it was the fuel filter and fixed that. And on and on it goes, it hadn't happened in a while before I came to UW so I hope the problem is solved, though I'm not holding my breath.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

USAFHummer

Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:44 pm

Theres a piece of plastic "paneling" that wraps around the frame of the car where the front driver door shuts on the inside of the car...its there largely for asthetic reasons, and it randomly popped out a month ago or so and its got some kind of weird attachment that I havent figured out, just been too lazy to take it to the dealer to have them put it back on...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Springbok747

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:11 pm

My front left tire loses pressure damn quickly...and it only started last week after I brought back my car from servicing. I had just filled air 2 days ago, and now it's dropped to 15 pSi from 34!

Not really a car problem, but annoying nonetheless. Looks like I need to buy a new tire. Michelin tires suck.
אני תומך בישראל

bill142

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:17 pm

Where do I begin? I just need a new car period

Drivers door is warped to the shit house cos people kept hitting that door when it was my sisters car (yes hand me down car) and everytime I go through the car wash I have to pull the door in so that it seals otherwise I get wet. Thankfully it doesn't do that when its raining.

N801NW

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:12 pm

The digital clock on my 98 Camry is either fine, dim, or dark. Two shops said there is no electrical problem. I (and some A.netters) think it is a dimmer issue but I haven't had anyone look at it again. The time is never lost, just the display. Unfortunately, for the sake of repair, it has basically been working properly lately.

dazultra

Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:25 am

i have an intermittant misfiring engine, and im getting crap fuel consumption and loss of power as a result (mk3 vw golf).

MD-90

Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:02 am

Transmissions that fail on Chrysler minivans.

SlamClick

Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:27 am

I'm getting point-float above about 6000 RPM in my 1962 Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder. It's really limiting my top end!

Well, actually I have a persistent electrical short in one of my Toyotas.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

EGGD

Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:31 am

My rearview mirror fell off.. I got a cheap one to replace it and that fell off too! I got it serviced last friday though and they put the original one back on, my god how I missed it..

AsstChiefMark

Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:32 am

The tailgate on my Explorer Sport Trac squeaks. Lube the pivot point and it's quiet for maybe a couple days. It's so loud that people on the sidewalk turn their heads.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Christian

Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:37 am

SLC1: Have you checked your exhaust system.

I had a car in the workshop with similar problem, and the fault on that was that the catalyst had melted and stopped the exhaust to leave the engine.

So my tip is that you should replace that.

/Christian
If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough

sovietjet

Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:42 am

On my Subaru WRX my latch to open the trunk didn't work. I fixed it yesterday. One of my daytime lights burned out, my left foglight burned out. My blow off valve goes off more than once when I shift at lower boost. All these problems are rather annoying, everytime I unlock the car or lock it with the remote only one of the headlights blinks cuz the other little lamp is out. It's not the headlight that is out, it's this little bulb right next to it. Fixing lighting is always a bitc*

Boeing4ever

Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:48 am

KIA refuses the fix the interior of my car because apparently, according to them, I voided the warranty by wrapping a BMW around it.

-signed,
ILS

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

portcolumbus

Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:48 am

Nothing yet on my Hyundai Elantra, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Fokker Lover

Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:51 am

If the exhaust doesn't work like Christian said, it could also be an intermittent fuel pump problem. Possibly overheating in the tank.
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

SLC1

Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:50 am

Christian, thanks I'll have that checked out.
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

Skyway1

Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:54 am

SLC1.....

My thoughts would be some sort of fuel pump issue as well. Like you said have it checked out.

Chris
KNUK, KNUK, KNUK woowoowoo

UTA_flyinghigh

Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:55 pm

My '95 Astrhaa has various niggling problems (former Poupinoumobile btw) :
- Rear wiper works intermittently
- OAT indicator works intermittently
- No HVAC control lighting (rhaa !)
- Tape deck sometimes jams (no strawberries, either)
- You need to pump like a shadok if the car doesn't run more than two days in a row (right now it hasn't moved in 2 weeks)
- The clutch pedal squeaks like a rhaat
- The brakes squeal when cold

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

bill142

Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:42 pm

i have an intermittant misfiring engine, and im getting crap fuel consumption and loss of power as a result (mk3 vw golf).

Does it happen while you are accelerating? I recently had a similar problem and discovered it was spark plug leads.

dl757md

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:23 pm

Transmissions that fail on Chrysler minivans.

Amen to that!

I have a '97 Grand Caravan that the tranny crapped out in 3 times in the first 62K miles. The last one they put in is still going strong at 220K. I guess they fixed the problem on their trannys finally.

I also had a problem with stalling while coasting in warm weather. The dealer said I needed a fuel induction system cleaning which I refused. They finally found a TSB about a software flash for the PCM that took care of it when I took it in @99K for some other warranty work before it expired.

The only other problem I've had is that the outboard pads on the front discs wear very prematurely. The calipers float freely on their mounting bolts and are lubricated regularly. I can't figure it out. It's costing me $$$ in new pads and rotors.

Dl757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

levent

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:29 pm

I have a very annoying rattling sound in my Opel Tigra now, you can hear it when pulling up or driving with low rpm. Must be something loose... have to get an oil change this week, will have it checked out.

UTA_flyinghigh

Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:54 pm

Prolly a fan belt is loose (like the screw in the rhaat's head).

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

runway23

Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:43 pm

The clutch pedal squeaks like a rhaat

Fool the thing that squeaks is Ms. Plane not a rhaat.

Btw wtf is the screw in the rhaat's head?

Runway23 (the rhaat)

UTA_flyinghigh

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:10 am

A screw is loose in the rhaat's head, thus making noise.

UTA

KYIPpilot

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:30 am

Anybody know what Secondary air injection means???? It is causing my check engine light to always be on. It is a 1996 F-150. The engine does run a little rough.
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

RNOcommctr

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:53 am

On my 1996 Chevy Monte Carlo, the "service engine soon" light comes on whenever I go above 6,000' or so (which happens quite a bit since I live at 4,400'). Sometimes it takes a week or so to go away. Weird...
Active loading only, ma'am, keep it moving!

damirc

Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:56 am

Previous car, a '91 BMW 520i (sitting in the garage until I get it someplace to get it fully streetworthy again  Smile) had it's share of age related problems - left keylock didn't work at all, the right one only worked electrically (couldn't open it pneumatically for the life of it - so if you have a flat battery you can't get in - unless you break a window, or as I recently figured out - attach another battery to the amplifier + and - leads, that are in the trunk  Smile). The ventilation system doesn't work (the a/c died a few years ago, when the clutch of the compressor went ga-ga) - the electromotor leads are worn out (only the plastic below is there, the contacts have been worn off). Other than that - after 260,000 miles (455,000 km) the engine is still running strong (albeit with a few weird noises, but you can still get it to 135 mph).

The current car, a '01 Mitsubishi Carisma only has one thing that bothers me - the windows can't be opened if it's under -5 C outside ... the seals obviously freeze to the glass and the servo motors are not strong enough to open the window) ... the BMW never had any problems of this sort  Sad

D.

high_flyr69

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:38 am

My brake fluid proportional valve is ratshit, the fluid in the rear cylinder container is crossed over to the front cylinder container instead of going to the back brake where it is needed, hence my rear container gets empty, air gets into the cylinder and i lose all braking at the rear tyres. It is such a pain in the ass always spooning over brake fluid between the front and back containers.
cheers
high_flyr69
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice Doggy' until you find the shot gun

Delta767300ER

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:58 am

My exhaust not being loud enough.

-Delta767300ER

whitehatter

Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:16 am

If I don't use mine for a few days, when I come to start it up again it makes a godawful death rattle.

I've had it back to the dealer and they can't find anything wrong. So I went to another dealer and they said the same. It only lasts about 2 seconds, and the car has never been allowed to run low on any fluids.

Buggered if I know why. It's only done about 18,000 miles too.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Usairwys757

Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:04 pm

Everytime I stop at a light, I get these people looking at me like I'm a total queer.

Signed, LHMark

[Edited 2005-02-15 04:13:49]
Inactive.....

Jetsgo

Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:35 pm

My 2000 Dodge Stratus rattles like crazy on the interior due to a combo of a 4 cylinder and just plain poor interior build quality that comes standard on Chrysler products.

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

aerobalance

Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:48 pm

On a medium speed right hand bend, taken at about 115 mph, I can feel the left upper control arm inboard bushing on the '05 325i deflect just a little too much for my taste....Taking it back to the dealer tomorrow...Piece of sh*t car-don't make them like they used too...
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

Douglas DC-9

Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:55 pm

SLC1- It's mostly likely something wrong with a computer chip or panel. I used to drive a 1999 Peterbilt 379 Ext. Hood with a 3406E Cat Diesel engine. Anyways, after driving down the road for about 6 hours the engine just died! I lost power steering, and let me tell you no p/s on a vehicle that was carrying over 40k sucks, I also lost braking power (thank god those trucks have large air tanks!) I believe the first time it happed with just over 500,000 miles on the truck, again at 650,000 and the 3rd time at 1,800,000. I wasn't so lucky the 3rd time and totaled by vehicle. I was going down a hill and she cut out on me! I couldn't stop, not enough air in the tanks. I couldn't shift down because that doesn't do anything (despite what most people say) not when you have something that big, it tears up the engine and tranny. After I lost her I wanted that truck torn down to see why it kept failing, and a computer panel in the battery box was acting up and shorting out. The other 2 times the mechanics just kept replacing the fuse at the fuse block.

DC-9

Vertigo

Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:18 pm

SLC1- More advice for you.

I have experience working on 4th gen accords
My father owns a 91 and I do all the work on it.

A friend with a 84 Nissan 300zx turbo had the same problem. Turned out to be a bad crank angle sensor.

Your car has a crank angle sensor and two other sensors that perform similar functions. They are affected by heat and can fail intermittently as you have described

You need to check the computer codes

Keep a paper clip in the car with you.
The next time this problem happens, look under the dash beneath the glovebox on the passenger side. You should see an unattached plastic electrical connector in the far right corner. Bridge the connection in the connector with the paper clip.

Now look at the check engine light on the dash above the tachometer. It should be flashing. Four short flashes repeating in a loop indicates there is a fault the crank angle sensor circuit. Eight is the Top dead center sensor. Nine is the cylinder position sensor.
All of these sensors are located inside the distributor assembly. If code 4,8,or 9 show up, go buy an entire distributor assy from a junkyard ($30) and have a private mechanic install it for you ($20). If you go to a dealership this repair will cost you more than $300. This is a rare problem on accords so the junkyard sensors should last for the rest of the life of the car.

As was mentioned earlier it could also be the fuel pump starting to fail. This will show up as code 43. (Four long flashes followed by 3 short ones)

It might also be an ignition problem. Code 15. (One long, five short)

Go to a different shop if this problem reoccurs. I hate it when mechanics throw parts at a problem instead of properly troubleshooting.

Good Luck

saxdiva

Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:33 pm

JetsGo, I had a 1999 Stratus, and never had a problem with it rattling. Must be a "feature" that came with newer model year. My problem with that car was that it was jinxed and attracted accidents. I got hit something like four times (none of them my fault) before I finally gave up and sold the car, figuring that if I kept it much longer I might end up in an early grave.

DI757md: Chrysler minivans just go through front brakes like nobody's business. My 2003 has less than 40K on it and I may be looking at my second new set before much longer. Seems like Chrysler designed the braking system for a lighter vehicle than these vans turned out to be.  Sad

-Leanne

HAWK21M

Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:19 pm

It Needs Petrol  Smile
Apart from that so far things seem ok.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

DeltaGuy

Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:52 pm

Rear wheels not making enough smoke....

Valve float above 5,800 RPM (not quite as high as yours, Slamclick  Smile/happy/getting dizzy)

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

CaptOveur

Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:08 pm

My girlfriend can only get 30,000mi out of a set of brake pads on her 00 Galant. More of a user issue than anything. Oh yeah, and she has a big cut in the sidewall of her right front tire she won't get fixed either

There is also a minor rattle when we go over a bump, sounds like it is coming from the dash and the left rear door needs greased but I have been too lazy to grease it.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.