rjpieces

Israeli FM: Iran Able To Have Nuke In 6 Months

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:50 am

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...tml?type=worldNews&storyID=7645114

LONDON (Reuters) - Iran is six months away from having the knowledge to build a nuclear bomb, Israeli Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom said on Wednesday.

"The question is not if the Iranians will have a nuclear bomb in 2009, 10 or 11, the main question is when are they going to have the knowledge to do it. We believe that in six months from today they will end all the tests and experiments they are doing to have that knowledge," Shalom said on a visit to London.

With all of the activity in the past few weeks--The reports of drones over Iran, the article about US Commandos operating in Iran, this story--I'm beginning to think that a US-Israeli attack might happen much sooner than everybody thought.

[Edited 2005-02-16 18:51:07]
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

777236ER

Israeli FM: Iran Able To Have Nuke In 6 Months

Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:03 am

Just to clarify, 6 months away from the knowledge of how to build a nuclear bomb, or 6 months away from possessing a bomb, or possessing the equipment to build a bomb?
Your bone's got a little machine

Schoenorama

RE: Israeli FM: Iran Able To Have Nuke In 6 Months

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:13 am

As we've seen with Iraq, it is the capability which matters, not the knowledge.

Nice try Rjpieces...
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

jaysit

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:37 am

And the propaganda battle Iraq-style begins again !

Atheism is Myth Understood.

NumberTwelve

Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:38 am

True, Jaysit, lets wait till Bush & Blair will talk about the 45 minutes crap.
Another reason/lie to start a war.

And by the way? When will Israel have it's Atomic weapon?

Aaaaah, sorry, I forgot. They already have it.
signature censored by admin - so check my profile

rjpieces

Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:40 am

NumberTwelve, I'm comforted by the fact that I know firsthand that MOST Germans have learned a lesson or two.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

whitehatter

Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:42 am

True, Jaysit, lets wait till Bush & Blair will talk about the 45 minutes crap.

Not this time. Blair has ruled out any involvement in Iranian adventures.

If he tried to do a 180 on the issue then he wouldn't survive.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

rjpieces

Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:44 am

Not this time. Blair has ruled out any involvement in Iranian adventures.

If he tried to do a 180 on the issue then he wouldn't survive.

With all due respect for Mr. Blair, we don't need his permission (or support) to bomb the shit out of Iranian nuclear facilities (or let Israel do it). A fullscale invasion of Iraq is a different story, though, and most Americans see England as one of our best friends, a title they deserve.

NumberTwelve

Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:44 am

RJ, could you tell me what lessons you mean?

I learned my lessons and they say: don't believe the US admin and don't believe other ultra right wing governments like Sharon's war cabinet.

You have to understand: as soon as a person calls himself a "War president", he wouldn't have a chance in Germany.

And for your info: GWB will not be greated with an open heart, he is a war monger and those people we don't like in Germany. We had a racist till 1945 and don't want to have racistic presidents here.

Jj

Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:57 am

I honestly hope this whole issue with Iran doesn´t end up being like the one with Iraq.
Now, I think it´s hypocritical that Israel is warning about Iran having nukes, when ISRAEL has them as well. This is what pisses me off about the whole thing with Iran. Nobody has the right to have this weapons, so if Israel pretends a disarm (or not developing nukes) from Iran, Iran has exactly the same right to demand that Israel destroy their nukes.

NumberTwelve

Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:03 am

Sure they do have, Jj, but Israel is supported by a civilized country, that (by the way) has used the Atomic bomb and people there are proud of it.

Crazy world.

solarix

Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:38 am

NumberTwelve do you have anything else better to do than sit in this forum all day long and bash the hell out of my country. I'm sure you would be upset if we sat here and ripped on Germany each and every day.

Regarding Iran...who really cares what happens in that country. The Iranian government hates our guts and wants us dead. so why should I give a shit about what happens to them? I sure as hell don't.
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

Falcon84

Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:44 am

Now, I think it´s hypocritical that Israel is warning about Iran having nukes, when ISRAEL has them as well.

Of course you think that, Jj: you don't live in a tiny little country, surrounded by mortal enemies, who have called for your annihilation for 55 years. There's nothing hypocritical about it, but you can't understand that, can you?

Sure they do have, Jj, but Israel is supported by a civilized country, that (by the way) has used the Atomic bomb and people there are proud of it.

It's supported by YOUR country as well, #12. Germany and the rest of Europe is a huge supporter of Israel. So condemn your pacifist little self while you're at it, OK?
Work Right, Fly Hard

rjpieces

Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:13 am

Germany and the rest of Europe is a huge supporter of Israel

Ehhhh. I wouldn't say that Falcon. Israel-European relationships tend to reflect two things in my opinion, anti-semitism/history of it and relations with the US today. Italy, which was never really infected with serious anti-semitism, and whose government is a strong supporter of the US, are great allies with Israel. Germany, for reasons relating to the Holocaust, are big supporters of Israel. France, which has a lot of anti-semitism coming from their large Muslim population, and which is a vocal opponent of the US, tends to be low on the list of European countries that support Israel.

However, when push comes to shove, Israel only has one true friend in this world and that is the United States of America.

[Edited 2005-02-20 01:15:15]

yhmfan

Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:01 pm

Quoting Solarix (reply 11):
so why should I give a shit about what happens to them?

Because what happens to "them" affects you in the US of A!!!

You use a nice neat "surgical" strike against them and they use a not so tidy suicide bomber against you.

You cannot solve every problem by force.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you

ANCFlyer

Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:14 pm

Quoting NumberTwelve (reply 10):
supported by a civilized country, that (by the way) has used the Atomic bomb and people there are proud of it.

Damn skippy, proud of it. Saved a lot of lives . . . . a hell of a lot of lives.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

StowAway

Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:45 pm

but Israel is supported by a civilized country, that (by the way) has used the Atomic bomb and people there are proud of it.

Grrr.. some people just can see the larger picture. Oh well, step aside and let those who can call the shots, please.
A monkey's ass always talks crap.

EurostarVA

Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:25 pm

Good for Iran, will deter zionist and expansionist forces in the region once and for all...sort of a 'dont mess with us' weapon....sounds to me like they need it already as the US has made it clear Iran is next.
If there is a will, there is a way

dl021

Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:50 pm

Quoting EurostarVA (reply 17):

Now there's a lucid and well reasoned thought.....Not.

Oh, absolutely! We never should have used that weapon to stop the war. We should have continued firebombing and invaded the most heavily defended islands in the war even though we expected over a million allied casualties and more Japanese. We should have killed more so that we could avoid the criticism of people looking back 60 years later from their safe and comfortable places.. You are correct.......Not.

Quoting Schoenorama (reply 2):
As we've seen with Iraq, it is the capability which matters, not the knowledge.
Nice try Rjpieces...

OK...true. We know that they have the capability to send missiles far enough to reach Israel, and are not far off the ability to hit Europe. They are also proceeding down the path towards being able to produce nuclear weapons. At what point should they be stopped? Before or after they get both the weapons and the means to deliver them?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

TS-IOR

Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:48 pm

Iran is able to have nukes in 6 months, and what about the nukes Israel is cherishing somewhere in the Negev since decades ?!
Next flight TUN-YUL Tunisair A330-243.

ltbewr

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:10 pm

This may be a lot of hype, but Iran does have Uranium deposits within the northern area of their country, they do have enought educated people and unfortuntaly the motivation to go Nuke. Originally their goal was to operate electrical generating nuke facilities, but there is concern by them that they need to protect themselves from the USA and bordering enemies (like Iraq). Worse is as they are very clearly anti-western and extremely anti-Israel, they do want to be able to shake the big stick to put Israel in (in their view) their 'place' or be eliminated. Israel also may be hyping this up to gain support from the USA, their great protector. Israel, along with Iran, Pakistan and India should be forced by the UN, the EU and the USA to open up their nuclear programs to international inspections.

TS-IOR

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:25 pm

LTBEWR, don't count on the USA to force Israel to open up its nuclear programs to international inspections !!! G.W.BUSH believes that Isarel's WMD are for self-defence !!! The US President is a silly or is taking the others for sillies...
Next flight TUN-YUL Tunisair A330-243.

jetjack74

Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:20 am

Quoting Ts-ior (reply 22):

Oh please. Israel is highly unlikely to be selling WMD's to terror nations, unlike yours.
Made from jets!

Schoenorama

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:27 am

Quoting DL021 (reply 18):
OK...true. We know that they have the capability to send missiles far enough to reach Israel, and are not far off the ability to hit Europe. They are also proceeding down the path towards being able to produce nuclear weapons. At what point should they be stopped? Before or after they get both the weapons and the means to deliver them?

I believe the Iranian nukes issue should be dealt with in exactly the same manner as the West has dealt with Israel's nukes. Now that's Democracy!

/sarcasm

jetjack74

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:34 am

Quoting Schoenorama (reply 24):
I believe the Iranian nukes issue should be dealt with in exactly the same manner as the West has dealt with Israel's nukes. Now that's Democracy!

You mean pretend that they don't have them? I feel much safer with the Israelis having them, then I would the Iranians having them.

/not sarcasm
Made from jets!

solarix

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:46 am

Schoenorama

Two questions for you sir.

1. How many "government sponsored" demonstrations do you see in Iran where they chant "Death to Israel! Death to America!!" ???

2. How many "government sponsored" demonstrations do you see in Israel where they chant "Death to Iran! Death to Palestine!!" ???

I think the answer speaks for itself.
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

777236ER

Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:39 am

RJPieces doesn't even know what country Tony Blair is Prime Minister of...I'd take anything he says about current world affairs very lightly.

I have the knowledge of how to build a nuclear bomb. In fact, anyone who reads http://people.howstuffworks.com/nuclear-bomb.htm has the knowledge to build a nuclear bomb. Knowledge is vastly different from ability, or even will.

The fact this rather nonsensical, un-interesting article is picked upon by people like RJPieces as a reason to attack Iran just goes to show how out of touch people like him are.
Your bone's got a little machine

DeskPilot

Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:55 pm

I think this has been covered enough and agreement reached as per usual Smile

RJPeices, surprise us all by starting a post on a subject other than the Middle East. No disrespect to the problems experienced on all sides, but I'd really like to see you talk about something else for a change.  Smile
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Schoenorama

Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:19 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (reply 24):
You mean pretend that they don't have them? I feel much safer with the Israelis having them, then I would the Iranians having them.

Frankly, I feel much safer with both sides having them!

Quoting Solarix (reply 25):
1. How many "government sponsored" demonstrations do you see in Iran where they chant "Death to Israel! Death to America!!" ???

Iran and its population unfortunately know all to well about U.S. intervention in their own democratical processes over the last decades. They've got every reason to fear both the U.S. as its greatest ally, Israel. I suggest you study your history a bit better and find out which foreign government supported the dictatorial regieme of the Shah which killed thousands of Iranians. If you really believe the normal Iranians would not go out on the street if their own government wouldn't tell them so, then you are really being naive!

NumberTwelve

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:15 pm

Quoting Ts-ior (reply 21):
The US President is a silly or is taking the others for sillies...

TS - since Iraq war everybody should know that - but unfortunatelly there are still some people who don't want to open their eyes.