Usairwys757
Topic Author

Who Is Your Sports Hero?

Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:46 am

Rolling off of the regular hero thread. Just as the title says, who is your sports hero? When I thought about this, a few names came to mind. But I gotta roll with Vince Lombardi, the dude changed the face of football and all sports forever. He made an impact on the game that no one has ever duplicated, nor will. So I gotta go with Lombardi.

Inactive.....

Logan22L

RE: Who Is Your Sports Hero?

Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:58 am

Limiting myself to Boston, there are a few names that come to the top of the list:

Bobby Orr - completely changed the role of the defenseman in hockey
Larry Bird - consummate pressure guy. Not the most talented, but worked as hard, or harder, than his teammates and competitors
Ted Williams - last guy to hit .400; missed several seasons for military duty in WWII
Tom Brady - yes, I know, he's only 27, but he's had a better career in five seasons than most have in a lifetime.

Honorable mention:

Bill Russell
Adam Vinatieri
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

Thom@s

Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:08 am

(Real)Football: Ryan Giggs - Great skills on the ball and has been my fav player as long as I've been interested in Fottball.  Smile

World Rally Championship: Petter Solberg - Drives Subaru, nuff said... Big grin

WWE: Undertaker - Hardly a sport, but the man I'm rooting for to win whenever there is a fight going...  Smile

All that pops to mind this late in the evening...

Thom@s

"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

aerorobnz

Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:17 am

Michael Schumacher. - ever since he was in Benetton.
Zinadine Zidane - an absolute master. Showed his class in Euro 2004 against England
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Springbok747

Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:18 am

Michael Schumacher  Big thumbs up

אני תומך בישראל

electraBob

Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:25 am

I have got to go way, way back when I was much, much younger....only cared about two sports back then....

baseball......

Al Kaline
Jim Bunning
Frank Lary
Mickey Mantle
Ted Williams

and hockey.....

Gordie Howe
Ted Lindsay
Alex Delvecchio
Sid Abel
Maurice Richard
Jacques Plante
Bernie Geoffrion
Doug Harvey
Bobby Hull
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

ZRH

Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:30 am

This an interesting question. It depends very much from where you come. For example, all those mentioned base- or football-players are not known here. For me there are: the football players (soccer) Pelé, Zinedine Zidane or out of a Swiss view the tennis player Roger Federer. Of course there are many others. I call them "excellent" but perhaps not "heros".

dl021

Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:34 am

Jim Thorpe

Pele

Walter Payton

Hank Aaron

Lance Armstrong

I could go on, but these are the first names to come to mind.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ConcordeBoy

Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:06 am

Margie Goldstein-Engle

Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

bill142

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:10 am

The Flying Finn, Mika Hakkinen

KROC

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:15 am

Jose Canseco.

Signed, Aa61hvy

greasespot

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:28 am

Lance Armstrong...Not because of the cancer comeback but becasue he has won Le tour 6 times in a row...

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

SLC1

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:31 am

Bjorn Borg
John Stockton
Lance Armstrong
Patrick Rafter
Pete Sampras
Wayne Gretzky

...probably more that don't come to mind
We're gonna do what we like to call a "jetBlue how do you do", which is slang for dumping a bunch of fuel in the ocean

zizou

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:40 am

Mine are,

Zinedine Zidane
Dennis Bergkamp
Michael Schumacher
Rahul Dravid
Stefan Edberg

Airlinerfreak

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:07 am

I would have to say Lance Armstrong. After what he went through and how he was not supposed to survive yet he came back from Cancer and won 6 Tour De France in a row.....

NZ747

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:54 am

Jonah Lomu. Because he never gives up. A true rugby legend.

Usairwys757
Topic Author

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:43 am

Signed, Aa61hvy again.
Inactive.....

jcs17

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:15 pm

Big grin
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

yooyoo

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:19 pm

Franz Beckenbauer

International Caps 103
International Goals 14
Teams C Munich 1906, Bayern Munich, New York Cosmos, SV Hamburg
Team Honours World Cup: 1974
European Championship: 1972
European Cup: 1974, 75, 76
Cup Winners: Cup: 1967
World Club Championships: 1976
Bundesliega: 1969, 72, 73, 74.
West German Cup: 1966, 67, 69, 71.
Individual Honours European Footballer of the Year: 1972, 76

Franz Beckenbauer, i believe, is the only man to have won the World Cup both as a player and as a manager

Andreas  Big thumbs up
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

atct

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:26 pm

Mario Lemieux
Wayne Gretzky
and Bill Virdon (1960's Pgh Pirate)

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

yegmaster

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:14 pm

People that come to mind:
Johan Cruijff
Mike Wier
Evert van Benthem (speedskater)

DL021 : Jim Thorpe is an interesting choice, why if i may ask?

Alessandro

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:17 pm

Sebastien Loeb, rally world champ...
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

bristolflyer

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:44 pm

5 times gold medal Olympian Sir Steve Redgrave. At the top of his sport for 20+ yrs.
Fortune favours the brave

NIKV69

Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:59 pm

There is only one baseball hero in my book.

Mr. Finesse

Joe DiMaggio

I remember where I was when I heard he had died. A very sad day. My dad saw him play. There was nobody sweeter. He did it all. Hit, ran, fielded. Didn't hot dog anything. A total professional. His record of hitting safely in 56 straight games will never be broken. Much like Secretariat's record of 2:24 for a mile and half. My dad also saw Big Red run and told me how he also ran each quarter mile faster than the previous one on the Belmont in 73'. When you think of that, it blows your mind. I think everyone at the track that day couldn't believe what they saw. There will never be another horse quite like him. Another hero for me. Just look at this record.

http://www.secretariat.com/past_performance.htm

If you look at the horses that ran second to him like Big Spruce, Stop the Music, Sham, Riva Ridge they were great but Big Red was the Greatest. I am glad I can see that statue of him in the paddock at Belmont.

Those are a couple of my heroes
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

yukimizake

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:31 pm

The use of the word hero to describe a sporting personality is quite dubious, admirable is a better word. I always really admired Wayne Gretzky, not only for his raw talent on the ice, but also for the ultimate class in how he announced his retirement. He kept it secret until the last week of the season so there was none of this season long farewell tour side-show crap we have seen before like when Magic Johnson finally retired. Also worth mentioning is his selection and involvement with the gold medal winning hockey team from the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics. Instead of the defensive minded type of teams from the previous Olympics, he went with the all the big guns.

And there's also Gilles Villeneuve and Ayrton Senna, awesome talents who both died behind the wheel of their F1 cars.
'Opfer müssen gebracht werden (Sacrifices must be made)' - Otto Lilienthal

N317AS

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:39 pm

"....seen before like when Magic Johnson finally retired."

Which time. Didn't he and Jordan put us through retirement two or three times?
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

NIKV69

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:39 pm

Was sad to see Gretzky being interviewed today after the NHL cancelled the season. You can see in his face, he knows hockey as we have known it is in real trouble. He was truly the best. I am glad he played a few years for the Rangers so I got to see him. He was amazing.

Thom@s

Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:15 pm

Signed OYRJA
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Banco

Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:32 pm

I suppose I would have to look at people whose impact transcended their sport.

Tommie Smith's black power salute in protest at racism in the 1968 Olympics is one. Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympics is another.

More recently, Andy Flower and Henry Olonga at the 2003 cricket world Cup in Zimbabwe.

Most people outside the cricket fraternity will be unaware of what they did, so a little explanation is needed. As most will be aware, Zimbabwe has sunk into dictatorship and desperate poverty under the despotic rule of Robert Mugabe over recent years. Cricket was one of the few ways that Zimbabwe had of appearing on the international stage. Andy Flower was (and is) one of the finest players ever to come out of that country. He is white. Henry Olonga was one of the newer black players to be developed in Zimbabwe over the last decade. He was near the start of his career.

The World Cup was being held mainly in South Africa but with a few games being held in Zimbabwe. That was in itself controversial, as ever more stories of atrocities came out of the country. Flower and Olonga decided to take a stand, and during one of the matches wore black armbands "in protest at the death of democracy in our country". Let there be no mistake; this was extremely courageous. Both men had to flee the country, there were attempts to find and kill Olonga who had to be smuggled out to safety.

To take a stand like that. To put their lives in jeopardy to make the point in front of the whole world. They were incredibly brave, white and black made the point together and they're my sporting heroes.

Below is the statement they released at the time:

It is a great honour for us to take the field today to play for Zimbabwe in the World Cup. We feel privileged and proud to have been able to represent our country.

We are, however, deeply distressed about what is taking place in Zimbabwe in the midst of the World Cup and do not feel that we can take the field without indicating our feelings in a dignified manner and in keeping with the spirit of cricket.

We cannot in good conscience take to the field and ignore the fact that millions of our compatriots are starving, unemployed and oppressed.

We are aware that hundreds of thousands of Zimbabweans may even die in the coming months through a combination of starvation, poverty and Aids.

We are aware that many people have been unjustly imprisoned and tortured simply for expressing their opinions about what is happening in the country.

We have heard a torrent of racist hate speech directed at minority groups.

We are aware that thousands of Zimbabweans are routinely denied their right to freedom of expression.

We are aware that people have been murdered, raped, beaten and had their homes destroyed because of their beliefs and that many of those responsible have not been prosecuted.

We are also aware that many patriotic Zimbabweans oppose us even playing in the World Cup because of what is happening. It is impossible to ignore what is happening in Zimbabwe. Although we are just professional cricketers, we do have a conscience and feelings.

We believe that if we remain silent that will be taken as a sign that either we do not care or we condone what is happening in Zimbabwe.

We believe that it is important to stand up for what is right.

We have struggled to think of an action that would be appropriate and that would not demean the game we love so much.

We have decided that we should act alone without other members of the team being involved because our decision is deeply personal and we did not want to use our senior status to unfairly influence more junior members of the squad.

We would like to stress that we greatly respect the ICC and are grateful for all the hard work it has done in bringing the World Cup to Zimbabwe.

In all the circumstances, we have decided that we will each wear a black armband for the duration of the World Cup.

In doing so we are mourning the death of democracy in our beloved Zimbabwe.

In doing so we are making a silent plea to those responsible to stop the abuse of human rights in Zimbabwe.

In doing so we pray that our small action may help to restore sanity and dignity to our nation.

[Edited 2005-02-17 11:35:59]
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

gkirk

Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:04 pm

Vinnie Jones
Signed, Thom@s
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

MYT332

Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:08 pm

Thierry Henry. He has va va voom!
Signed
Gkirk
One Life, Live it.

Thom@s

Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:18 pm

GKirk, how did you know? Big grin

Such a cruel player...  Smile

Thom@s

VictorTango

Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:32 pm

Sachin Tendulkar - The world's best batsman!

Olly

[Edited 2005-02-17 12:37:11]

aa61hvy

Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:26 am

A not-so-well known kicker in football.
Signed,
UsAirwys757
Go big or go home

willo

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:21 am

Lance Armstrong - the best road race cyclist ever.
Shane Warne - ace bowler (shame he's an Australian Smile)
Janne Ahonen (ski jumper) - so far ahead of the field this year, he's in a different league.

wheelsatc

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:36 am

Don't know about hero's but certainly idols!

Shane Warne (Aussie cricketer)
Aryton Senna

slider

Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:04 am

Vince Lombardi: Transcended his sport. Unparalleled achievement. A very complex man far beyond what many would believe.

Mario Lemieux: Gretzky is the Great One, but no one tops Super Mario. There are some records of his that will never be broken, IMHO.

Walter Payton: Beyond being pound for pound the best athlete I've seen play pro football other than Bo Jackson, Sweetness was a stellar man, great human being and someone whose legacy off the field is greater than that on it.

Herb Brooks: Hockey coach extraordinaire, master motivator, strategist. Coached the 1980 USA Hockey team. Yes, Herb, I believe in miracles. Thank you.

NIKV69

Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:46 am

You know with all this talk of soccer there is only one person who should be in the same sentence as the word hero and that is Pele. No player ever to walk on the pitch has ever been as good as Pele not to mention did a lot for the game. Every man and woman who puts on a uniform should thank him and the ones who wear his #10 should feel honored.

CactusA319

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:13 am

Quick list:

Roberto Clemente: First big-time Latin baseball player, and possibly the greatest Latin ballplayer of all time. Great hitter, smooth fielder and arguably the heart and soul of some great Pirate teams in the 60's and early '70's. Met an untimely death when his plane crashed while on a humanitarian mission to El Salvador after a major earthquake there. One of the few and maybe the only baseball player to get inducted into the Hall of Fame without going through the five year waiting period. Baseball's humanitarian award was later named after him as well.

Walter Payton: Quite possibly the best pure rusher of all time. Yes Emmitt Smith broke his record, but Emmitt had the help of one of the biggest and best all time offensive lines. Walter broke the record while playing on some really bad Bears teams. And while Smith avoided heavy contact as much as possible, Payton was a bruiser. And durable too, only missing 1 game in his 13 year career. It's a damn shame he didn't get a touchdown in the Bears Super Bowl win.

Michael Jordan: Greatest basketball player of all time, hands down. His off the court dealings are a bit dubious, but on the court he was The Man. The only downside to his career possibly is the multiple retirements, especially after the last comeback attempt with the Wizards. He should have just stayed out of the game after having retired as a champ.

Tiger Woods: Brought the game of golf to the masses. Hell I never cared for the game until I saw this guy. Granted a lot of his and the game's popularity has to do with Nike's corporate sponsorship, but one must still admit he had a hand in making the game much more popular.

Pete Rozelle: Not an athlete, but the long time commissioner of the NFL. He is truly the man responsible for making the league what it is today.

aa61hvy

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:36 am

Lawrence Taylor aka LT: Forgetting off the field issues, the guy was amazing, the best Defensive player of all time. He made all QB's and running backs scared. I'll never forget watching some highlight film on him, it showed him on the sidelines, he had an intensity in his eyes that I have never seen before in my entire life, in any sport.

Shaq: I met this guy before, real funny guy. The man dominates basketball. No one has ever shut him down. You can't even begin to guard him.

Michael Jordan: He is just awesome. I don't need to say anything about him.

Emmitt Smith: Such a good guy, he had countless records.
Go big or go home

geedo

Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:09 am

I took so much heat for being a Broncos fan all my life, then THE MAN closes out his career with two championships. Mr.Elway, you will always inspire me!
I've got Titanic hopes and they aren't sinking

Spaceman

Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:04 am

Yao Ming, my man the little giant.

Boeing Nut

Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:40 am

One of mine is Mark McGuire. ( still ) I would probably feel different hero wise if he hadn't broke the home run record, but it almost seemed like he (and Sammy) brought the country together somewhat. For months people would talk about him and the race every day. The respect he got from other players and fans. The comrodery (sp?) between he and Sammy. Everybody loved it. He helped bring back baseball.

One other is Dan "the man" Marino. A biased choice since I am a die hard Dolphins fan. Ironically, my loyalty to the "fins" became even stronger after this past disatrous season.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

MSYtristar

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:06 pm

Peyton Manning: Great person, great player.

Andre Agassi: See above.

yanksn4

Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:14 pm

MY List:

1. Mickey Mantle (New York Yankees)

2. Lou Gehrig (New York Yankees)- "Today, I consider my self the luckiest man.... on the face of the Earth."

3. Mariano Rivera (New York Yankees)

4. Derek Jeter (New York Yankees)

signed,
Matthew
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:26 pm

Arthur Ashe.

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever the cost."

A class all by himself.

RIP Arthur
787 Italia - Io, il comandante dell'aria

Thom@s

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:31 pm

And I thought soccer was a boring sport. I've never wanted to be a Newcastle United player more in my life...
Signed KROC.

Awaiting the swinging Batsman...  Big grin

Thom@s

alphafloor

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:34 pm

Ayrton Senna
Whatever

Thom@s

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:55 pm

I still remember his crash. Not a pretty sight...

Thom@s