zippyjet

Hummer Bummer

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:32 pm

Our legislature here in Maryland are toying with legislation that would make owners of those big decadent SUV's pony up to $700.00 in taxes or registration fees. Hooray for our delegates! Drivers have had a free ride from King George W. For a long while. (loophole where you get a decent tax break for buying a big truck like vehicle.) The big SUV's fit under this classification.
Now, I'm not for more taxes and fees for the sake of them but, when you drive a small car, sharing the road with these big gas hogs can be a pain in the you know what. We pay some of the highest state taxes. Now, I do hope the state is smart and this legislation if passed and enacted applies to new purchases of big SUV's and not "grandathered." These road behemoths deplete our environment, and put more money in the pocket of big oil and OPEC. And, if there is indeed global warming, the switch to more fuel efficient vehicles will keep the wolf at bay.

[Edited 2005-02-17 05:50:31]
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

n229nw

RE: Hummer Bummer

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:09 pm

yay! I HATE those idiotic things. If rich people need to prove their wealth with a status symbol penis extension that destroys the environment and puts everyone else's life on the road at greater risk, at least make them pay craploads into the state economy to do so!

I hope other states follow suit!

[Edited 2005-02-17 06:16:47]
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Airlinerfreak

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:09 pm

I think that this is stupid, not only are the people who own Hummers having a hard enough time dealing with the cars horrific problems now this. I think we should instead spend federal money into the research and developement of Hydrogen cars. That would be money well spent.

Cessnapimp

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:11 pm

As long as it doesn't cost the state (taxpayers) more money to eliminate the loopholes H2 owners will try to seek and the lawyer fees, I am all for this! It will bring a series of complications as to where to draw the line. Will X5's be taxed? How about the X3's? Audi allroads?

The concept is great though and I'm all for this hoping that our politicians here in Ontario keep a close eye on the developement of this.

Take that soccermom!

Cessnapimp

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:17 pm

...not only are the people who own Hummers having a hard enough time dealing with the cars horrific problems now this.

Geez, I didn't know the H2 people had it so bad... kinda makes me feel trerrible about my previous post.

I think we should instead spend federal money into the research and developement of Hydrogen cars. That would be money well spent.

AMEN! How many H2's are Maryland plated? Well, that number x $700 is a good start towards cheap electrolysis research.

n229nw

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:20 pm

Geez, I didn't know the H2 people had it so bad... kinda makes me feel trerrible about my previous post.

lol  Big thumbs up

Course the problem right now with hyrdrogen is making it. Sure its great that a car that runs on hydrogen only emits water. But to get the hydrogen you mainly have to use coal, which just burns fossil fuel at another stage in the process and makes Dick Cheney's stock holdings go up...

zippyjet

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:30 pm

Besides the Hummer, you got the garish Escalade, and many monstrosities by the Ford Motor Company. Remember the Ford Valdez? Oops, I meant the Excursion? And then there was the short lived Mercury Blackwood. Lets face it, how many people really need these big ugly polluting monsters? How many Navigator owners are going 4 wheeling? I think the premium registration fee makes a hell of a lot more sense than the Big Brother, Communist style legislation in la la land! And, I understand, in the land of moonbeams and Arnold, they are thinking of sticking it to people who drive the hybrid vehicles. As the dude on 20/20 says Give Me A Break!
And, these oversized behemouths are now the pimpmobile of choice in the early years of the 21st. century. Pit Bulls and Navigators what a combination.

CanadianNorth

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:34 pm

I have one question, If those cars only spit water out the back, wouldn't that there make them roads a little icy during winter???

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

zippyjet

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:37 pm

"I have one question, If those cars only spit water out the back, wouldn't that there make them roads a little icy during winter???"

With global warming this becomes much less of a problem.

Cessnapimp

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:47 pm

By the time a mass-market (a.k.a. available in Canada) hydrogen vehicle comes around, I'm afraid there don't be much snow to worry about....heheh, seriously, these are very finite quantities of water we're talking about. Winter versions could have the water found into a small cistern for future (side of the road) disposal.

Cessnapimp

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:51 pm

LOL Zippyjet! It's yours, I concede....  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

LOT767-300ER

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:53 pm

"Remember the Ford Valdez? Oops, I meant the Excursion? And then there was the short lived Mercury Blackwood."

Err.....Mercury Blackwood? could you be talking about the Lincoln Blackwood.

zippyjet

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:58 pm

""Remember the Ford Valdez? Oops, I meant the Excursion? And then there was the short lived Mercury Blackwood."

Err.....Mercury Blackwood? Could you be talking about the Lincoln Blackwood.>

My mistake, sorry about that error in fact. But whatever that thing was it was ugly and useless.
You can pour honey on shit but alas, it still is shit!

itsjustme

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:13 pm

If Arnold had any balls, he'd do the same thing out here in La La Land (I don't think he drives one anymore). Why anyone feels they need to drive a huge ass 4WD SUV in Southern CA is a mystery to me. Maybe so they can navigate those atrocious speed bumps in their gated communities.

ushermittwoch

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:21 pm

Wow!

I am glad to see some people in North America with some sense, when it comes to cars.
Sadly the SUV trend has flowed over to Europe as well, which makes even less sense since:
#1 Fuel is REALLY expensive here.
#2 Roads are way tighter
#3 We lack parking space
#4 At least in Germany it is illegal to go offroading, so even the most pathetic excuse for buying an SUV is obsolete.

Where have all the tri-jets gone...

sv7887

Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:28 pm

Hi All,
I agree with the idea of taxing SUV owners..First off, those things are contributing to more accident deaths and higher insurance premiums..In addition, they're exempt from the strict emissions laws that our cars are subjected to..What's worse in New England these idiot SUV drivers think they're invulnerable to snow, ice, and rain....I can't recall how many times I've passed SUV's going up a hill in my Rear Wheel Drive car!!! An SUV isn't going to make up for driver incompetence..In fact it probably makes the problem worse as the idiot driver has a false sense of security..

I'd love to enact a 15% "Jerk Tax" on all Hummers..There is nothing more asinine than seeing some Hummer parked at the GROCERY store..(Taking up two spaces in the process) Are people that insecure that they need to buy something that screams, "Look at me!!" (I'm an insecure moron who pays 50K for an overpriced POS!!!) Get a life already..I hope $2 a Gallon gas gets rid of this fad..Haven't we learned anything from the 1970's Oil Embargo?? Sometimes I'm surprised at how short people's memories can be..

SV

ltbewr

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:56 pm

Many states in the USA assess a 'property tax' as to the value of a vehicle, so owners of newer and more expensive vehicles pay maybe many $100's per year. In little Rhode Island, such taxes can be like 6% of the value of the vehicle. Such taxes were a major reason for Schwartznager becoming Califronia's Governor (the 'car tax' had been doubled by the previous governor). Many countries in the world also have registration fees for vehicles based upon their engine size. I do agree that a luxury tax on large, expensive, fuel guzzling newer vehicles of maybe a $200-300, not $750, would be suitable. Problem is to most owners of such vehicles, the tax would be paid with pocket change or treated as a business expense, so they don't see the cost. There is also the legitment need for some people to have these large vehicles, such as those in construction and other businesses where their carrying and towing capabilities and in some case with off-road ability is reasonable and necessary.

DeltaGuy

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:02 pm

You can pour honey on shit but alas, it still is shit!

Agreed, the Blackwood was pure fucking ugly Ford crap...especially that tailgate...you can't make a pickup look like a rich man's car.

There are honestly people who need large vehicles...I come from a family of 8, so we needed a Suburban to get around anywhere comfortably. But when I see some gangsta (and you know which race I'm more than likely talking about) driving down the road in his Navigator, big oversized rims, rap music thumping out the back, and euro taillights, I say the government should nail his ass, just for looking like an idiot  Laugh out loud

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

WellHung

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:19 pm

I say we tax the drivers of those pussy-ass hybrids for depriving our states of precious gas tax revenue.

n229nw

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:28 pm

Furthermore, all people who drive hummers should be drafted. This solves two problems at once. Since these people already think they are at war, they won't mind, and it gets rid of the shortage of armored cars... Wink/being sarcastic
Course it might scratch their perfectly polished wax jobs...

LTBEWR:There is also the legitment need for some people to have these large vehicles, such as those in construction and other businesses...

You know what, that might be true of some SUV's (and permits/exemptions might be offered for those very few who really do "need" an SUV...) but in any case this doesn't apply to Navigators or Hummers...those go to the manicured, pedicured people who "need" an SUV because they have a dog in the car (a miniature poodle or something in a Gucci carrier purse)

Oh, what did these poor souls ever do before SUVs were available? They must have suffered so. (I'm sure they bought pickup trucks...oh wait, those weren't in fashion for yuppies yet, so they didn't "need" one...)

[Edited 2005-02-17 15:30:45]

david b.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:48 pm

"PUSSY-ASS" hybrid drivers do not need $60,000 6,000 pound dollar penis extensions.
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

WellHung

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:41 am

Quoting David b. (reply 20):
"PUSSY-ASS" hybrid drivers do not need $60,000 6,000 pound dollar penis extensions.

Yes, but they apparently need to pass judgement on other people based on the vehicle they drive.

CaptOveur

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:45 am

I have never seen an H2 on a construction site, or an Excursion, or an Avalanche.

I have seen numerous pickup trucks, Suburbans, Blazers, Explorers, I even saw a surveying crew using a Subaru wagon once... But NEVER an H2, there is just no room inside of them. The other two vehicles mentioned are pretty useless too.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

SlamClick

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:03 am

The original Hummer, or more properly, the HMMWV actually has a reason for existing. It is a military vehicle with some real merit in roadless areas. The H2 does not even have that. It is a utility truck with a Humvee-like body on it. It is a complete phony - like putting a Ferrari body on a Yugo. On the HMMWV the axles enter the wheel at the top and drive it through a gear train. This gives great ground clearance. The H2 has conventional axles and wheels and therefore no better ground clearance than a UPS truck. The bodywork may appear to be high but the differential still hangs within a few inches of the ground. Phony!

A friend of mine has real need for such a vehicle. His ranch is thousands of acres of steep, rolling grass and timberland. He has hundreds of miles of primitive roads to get to the various parts of it. A Hummer salesman came to his ranch one day with a demonstrator and after looking it over my friend laughed him off the property.

He has "jeep roads" that were made years ago with very small tractors, and maintained mostly by the traffic of vehicles with a standard width track. The Hummer does not fit on "Jeep roads" and would have been completely useless to him. Further, its greater width just translated into more brush-scratches when he tried to get it offroad.

Unless you just want to climb hills in the desert the Hummer is USELESS as an offroad vehicle. The only thing it is actually good at is taking up two parking spaces.

Before you get too wound up over Hummer tax breaks however, bear in mind that motorhomes are an even better tax break.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Airlinerfreak

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:09 am

Quoting Itsjustme (reply 13):
If Arnold had any balls, he'd do the same thing out here in La La Land (I don't think he drives one anymore).

Arnold drives them still, he drives an insane amount, but the one he drives most is Hydrogen Fuel Celled. Don't forget he really created Hummer so he can do what he wants when he wants with that car. He also has more of those here Hummers than Carter made Liver Pills. But anyway he does in fact have a hydrogen fuel celled Hummer that he is seen driving all the time.

Superfly

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:12 am

It's time to give SUV owners the attention they have been craving.
Commercial vehicles already pay higher registration and tolls for bridges and hiways. It's time to do the same for SUV owners.

Why are you all bashing Ford when at least Ford SUVs & trucks can be used for commercial and off road use?
Look at the crap coming out of Japan and Germany.
Lexus, Infinity, Acura, BMW and Mercedes are even more guilty for making gas guzzling stupid useless vehicles.
Has any one seen a Lexus LX470 pull a boat, drive through mud or go off road?
Bring back the Concorde

Airlinerfreak

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:15 am

No but I have seen a GX470 go off road in mud and pull a boat as my mom owns one and my dad likes to drive it the way it is meant to be driven.

Superfly

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:21 am

Airlinerfreak:
BMW X5?
Mercedes M-class?
Nissan Armada?

My point was that people only want to fault the American car manufactures yet the imports are just as bad if not worse.
Bring back the Concorde

Airlinerfreak

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:24 am

I know I got your point I was just informing you that there was at least one person who uses them for the right manner. People now a days use them for their comfort and not for using them for what they are built to do. I totally agree with you.

n229nw

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:27 am

Superfly,

True in some ways, but the biggest monstrosities these days are American (the Escalade, the Navigator, the Expedition, the Excursion, etc.)

Also, it is the American auto lobby that has successfully faught to ward off fuel economy restrictions from the government. (If SUVs now on the road got only 2 miles more to the gallon, btw, it would more than cancel out the entire yearly yield of drilling in the Arctic national wildlife reserve, etc.)

Frankly, I'd like to see ALL SUVs (Except maybe the very smallest) gone forever...for so many reasons

Superfly

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:33 am

Airlinerfreak:
Sounds like your dad should have bought a Ford Excursion instead.  Big thumbs up

People now a days use them for their comfort and not for using them for what they are built to do.

Nothing wrong with wanting comfort. I drive a Lincoln Town Car because I like the power and comforts these cars offer. To bad those damn CAFE standards only apply to cars and not non-commercial trucks/SUVs.  Pissed
Bring back the Concorde

Airlinerfreak

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:35 am

Actually someone in his office had one, he drove it because we going to get an SUV and let me tell ya that thing is as big as a limo. It is huge and heavy and he just didnt like it. He was considering the Escalade and Hummer but got the Lexus because of Comfort. He only drives it off road because he is intregued by some of the roads that he sees when he drives by.

Superfly

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:41 am

N229NW:
The Excursion, Expedition and Escalade is nothing new yet these so-called enviornemtalist think it's some new design. All they are is enclosed versions of the F-350, F-150 and Silvarado pick up trucks thats been around for years. I don't like the marketing techniques by the automaufactures.

I say eliminate the gas engine for trucks & SUVs and just keep producing the diesel powered ones. The whole sex appeal with these SUVs will drop over night and the only ones that will use them are those that need them.
Bring back the Concorde

sconym

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:31 am

First off, I think that some people on this thread are passing judement without understanding all the facts. ALot of these cars (Hummer H1, Excursion ...) are available in diesel form. Here in LAS, diesel is cheaper to buy and is cleaner to run than standard gasoline. Dont get pissed off if you dont like them (or cant afford them!) The fact that I want my family in the H1 (or the excursion for that matter) is simply, because I care about them. I want them to be safe as possibly in this world of crazy drivers talking constantly on their cell phones and not paying attention to the road. I am currently in the process of buying my H1, and cant wait for the deal to go through. Strange thing for the environmentalists, is that the H1 gets better gas mileage than my Dodge Quad Cab Hemi that I currently drive. There are also alot of us that "Tread Lightly" when we go offroading, so spare me that argument too. Just my 2cents.

Scott

tristarenvy

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:57 am

In a perfect world, all the uber-SUV's would be owned and used by large families,business, and such. But sadly, I find myself being tailgated by some jerk-ass 5' 3" soccer mom, pushed up against the steering wheel, 'cause her dainty feet cannot reach the pedals, with the cell phone jammed into an ear, and paying no attention to the road.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people OWNING the things, and I, myself, own a smaller SUV-type vehicle, but for God's sake, LEARN TO DRIVE the friggin' things, and when you do drive them, HAVE MORE THAN ONE PERSON IN IT!!!!

Nor do I have issues with big cars, either. I just get a bit annoyed when a GAS (I do look to see if it's Diesel or Gas) Excursion/Escalade/H2/Suburban goes past with just one soul in it.

And being a card carrying Republican, I cannot believe I just said that, either....

If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

n229nw

Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:07 am

Quoting Sconym (reply 33):
The fact that I want my family in the H1 (or the excursion for that matter) is simply, because I care about them. I want them to be safe as possibly in this world of crazy drivers talking constantly on their cell phones and not paying attention to the road.

NO NO NO! First: you are NOT really safer in an SUV than a car. (Look at the fatality rates. Due to various factors, especially rollovers, SUV drivers are as likely or more to die in a crash than anyone else.)
Second, it's a vicious cycle. More than killing themselves, drivers of large SUVs put everyone else at risk!!! And because they have bigger cars, then suddenly everyone else "needs" one to be safe among all the bigger cars, etc.
If you really want your family to be safe, buy a safe medium-size car and drive as little as possible!

Quoting Sconym (reply 33):
Dont get pissed off if you dont like them (or cant afford them!)

There you go. As long as people actually think I'm _ENVIOUS_, I'm happy to keep passing judgment! They are often materialistic idiots who are happy to pass judgments on other people's cars anyway. One time recently I was biking along and some soccer mom in an Expedition actually smiles down at me at a light and says "Get a car!" in a haughty voice. She's lucky I don't carry a weapon...

Quoting Superfly (reply 32):

I say eliminate the gas engine for trucks & SUVs and just keep producing the diesel powered ones. The whole sex appeal with these SUVs will drop over night and the only ones that will use them are those that need them.

Sure. I agree completely.

Nice post Tristarenvy btw

Superfly

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:51 am

Sconym:
The fact that I want my family in the H1 (or the excursion for that matter) is simply, because I care about them.

If you REALLY care about them you would go for the Ford.  Big thumbs up

I can easily buy a $50K vehicle but I'd rather spend my money on flight school and other toys.

My girlfriend has accepted that if we start a family, the car will be a used Colony Park or Roadmaster station with woodgrain panels and all.  Big thumbs up
It's my way or the hiway!  Pissed

Tristarenvy:
when you do drive them, HAVE MORE THAN ONE PERSON IN IT!!!!

Agreed!
When I take my old Town Car out, usually I have someone in the car with me.
I use the subway or bicycle to get around.
Bring back the Concorde

captaingomes

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:19 am

I have one question, If those cars only spit water out the back, wouldn't that there make them roads a little icy during winter???

LOL! Now there's a guy with his thinking cap on .... honestly, that was a cool post!

Getting back to the original idea of this thread, what bugs me is that the loophole being used was designed for farmers to purchase trucks for use on the farm. Farmers often struggle to purchase all the equipment they need to make the best of their farmland, and provide all the farm goods for all of us to enjoy. It's a different way of life compared to what most of us are used to, and I think it's a token of appreciation that they receive tax breaks in order to better afford purchasing the equipment they need. What's wrong with all this is that it is a true kick in the balls for this loophole to be extended to any dick out there who is purchasing an SUV for other reasons. I'm all for freedom of choice, but I'd be ashamed as an American to be subsidizing the purchase of luxury SUV's to somebody who has no problems affording the vehicle in the first place. SUV's, and other road vehicles, should be taxed equally, and since they are used for personal reasons, they should have to meet the same emissions and crashworthiness regulations as automobiles.

So I think the playing field should be level, and everybody should not have to subsidize the purchase of luxury SUV's for the personal use of those who can afford them anyhow.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

GuitrThree

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:21 am

All I'm going to say:

That's what makes a Blue state Blue. Greedy liberals taking money out of people pockets.
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

DeltaGuy

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:27 am

My point was that people only want to fault the American car manufactures yet the imports are just as bad if not worse.

The imports ARE worse...and FUGLY!!!! The Lexus, Toyota, and Nissan attempts at an SUV are just gross...I have never once seen one doing an actual utility function- more, just hauling 2 people who think they have a new status symbol. And they usually drive slower than molasses too.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

mdsh00

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:33 am

Quoting GuitrThree (reply 38):

That's what makes a Blue state Blue. Greedy liberals taking money out of people pockets.

Oh jeez. Get over it. So called "red states" take money out of people's pokets too. Just in different ways.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

captaingomes

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:50 am

All I'm going to say:

Care to give me a logical reason why people should subsidize the purchase of luxury SUV's for personal use of those who can afford them anyways, using a loophole designed to help farmers purchase trucks for their farms? If you want to attack those in the opposite political spectrum, let's see what you have to say for your favourite party.

To those who say imports are worse, grow up. All SUV's are useless as substitutes for automobiles, regardless of where they come from. Imports and domestics are guilty of making useless status symbols that are compromises in everything they do. The imports have made greater progress in making SUV's more carlike, which makes sense when you consider they spend more time on the roads. But that defeats the purpose of having a damn SUV in the first place. Argh ... SUV's ARE COMPROMISES!

Finally, the VW Touareg (one of the more capable imported SUV's for offroard use) has just been recognized for its abilities ... "The Touareg Expedition from Volkswagen Individual is confirmed as holding the "Guinness Book of Records” entry for the highest altitude recorded for a vehicle." It drove up, using its own capabilities, to an altitude of 19,947 feet. The full article can be seen at http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...olkswagen_news/article_1204.shtml. I still wouldn't buy one unless I had a need for one, but I think that's pretty cool, and I'm glad VW and Porsche actually put effort into making their SUV capable offroad.

"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

Superfly

Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:03 am

GuitrThree's post are pure entertainment. Big grin
I doubt that even he is serious.
Bring back the Concorde

flight152

Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:27 am

And they usually drive slower than molasses too.

The Cayenne turbo and the BMW X5 4.8is would show your Camaro who is boss.

The imports ARE worse...and FUGLY!!!!

The Escalade and Hummer SUVs are hardly attractive.

The Lexus, Toyota, and Nissan attempts at an SUV are just gross...I have never once seen one doing an actual utility function-

Import SUV's such as the Land Rover LR3, Discovery, Range Rover, Toyota Land Cruiser (and similar Lexus LX470) are more off-road capable then most domestic SUVs.

sovietjet

Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:51 am

Quoting CanadianNorth (reply 7):

CanadianNorth

Um....water already comes out the back of regular gasoline cars. The products of a combustion reaction (octane/gas + oxygen) are water and carbon dioxide. Why do you think everyone's exhaust drips on cold mornings and you can see all that water vapor condesing in a cloud on cold days?

texdravid

Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:24 pm

This is America, and people have the right to drive what they want to.

I know some of you are against SUV's because of the supposed environmental effects, but some of you (and you know who you are) are just using this topic as a vehicle to complain about rich people driving big, expensive cars/trucks.

Some of the tree-hugging, greener than cucumber statements on this thread want to make me go out and buy a Escalade with the optional 400+hp engine just to make my own statement.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

captaingomes

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:05 am

Why another person wants to spew their nonesense without looking at facts is beyond me. Texdravid, or anybody else with a similar argument, will you simply answer my question as to why should regular people subsidize the purchase of luxury SUV's through tax rebates designed for farmers? Why are large SUV's subsidized (I believe that have a gross weight, not curb weight, beyond 6,000 lbs) through large government incentives? This goes way beyond personal choice, which of course I'm all for. If somebody wants to buy a 6,000 lbs SUV with a 6.0 V8 that gets 12 MPG, that's fine! But I wouldn't want to help them pay for it, that's all.

n229nw

Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:03 am

Quoting Texdravid (reply 45):
This is America, and people have the right to drive what they want to.

You can have a "right" without it being a good or moral decision.

A lot would be solved if we taxed gasoline and charged closer to European prices for it, say $4 a gallon. It would be understood that the tax would all be put toward funding and developing alternative power sources and public transportation. Then people who chose to buy large SUVs, as is their legal "right," would be subsidizing important research and development to cancel out the effects of their purchase. I'd have no problems. (Too bad this will never happen...)

Boeing Nut

Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:42 am

Wow, and I thought A vs B threads got heated!  Laugh out loud

The facts are that one, no american (or otherwise) wants to be told what they can or cannot drive, and fuel economy for larger vehicles definitely needs to be improved.

Hybrid technology is definitely going to be a benifit here. All major car manufacterers are studying or have hybrid technolgy already. We own a Toyota Prius and it's great. I also have a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab and love it as well. There can be a happy medium kids, you just have to find it.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

pilottj

Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:40 am

I may get flamed for this but you know, I don't seem to recall reading a constitutional amendment regarding anything about the right to drive a vehicle. Your drivers licence is managed by your state, much like my CPL is managed by the FAA. Your state can choose to deny you your right to drive, if you fail to pass an exam, break a law, are medically unfit....etc. I sometimes wish the standards were the same as were required for getting a pilots licence.

I am curious how many of those soccer moms with their cellphones plastered to their face know the basic operation of a internal combustion engine.

TJ
God was my copilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him...