UAL Bagsmasher
Topic Author

Resume' Question

Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:24 pm

I have a question pertaining to composing a resume. If I was only at a company for approximately 3 weeks, do I need to include it on my resume? I was not fired. I quit due to an unprofessional work environment. Also, do I need to list this company on the work history section of a job application? I've heard of people being let go years after being hired due to the fact they left out information. Thanks!

ANCFlyer

RE: Resume' Question

Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:51 pm

Simply put, yes. One thing that will get your ass in a ringer more quickly than anything is a lack of integrity. Intentionally leaving out info, well, that's a lack of integrity.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

L-188

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:48 pm

Well since it is the last job, I would agree with ANCflyer, it needs to be in due to the fact it is the last job you had.

However as you are longer and longer in the work force you do end up having to drop items to say within the one-page rule.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Logan22L

Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:05 am

Yes, put it on. Justify your decision when asked about it in a professional way, saying that you bring good skills to the job, and you expect a good professional environment in return. You simply had to make a choice and you did. Make sure you don't look like a whining SOB, though. In this way, you can nicely indicate to your interviewer that you are interviewing his company as much as they are interviewing you. This looks good, as you come across as involved, not just some poor bugger looking for a job (even if you are  Wink/being sarcastic).

All this assumes you get in the door for an interview. You may want to provide a sentence on your resume that indicates you "left for professional reasons." While this is a flag, you can explain in person.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

mbmbos

Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:08 am

Since three weeks is such an insignificant amount of time, it doesn't need to be explained. Unless you need to explain why you left the position prior to your short-term job.

If you think you need to list the three-week stint and are asked why you left, keep in mind that you don't have to explain it in detail. Something like "the position was not as it was represented to me and I thought my skills could be put to better use elsewhere," is a legitimate reason for moving on after a quick stay. Everyone, including your future employers, has been in that situation.

- MBM